Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mr. Sharps posted:

doomsday economic scenario: the stock market implodes. the density of information moving through its fiber networks and stored in its data servers exceeds the schwarzchild radius required for a black hole of equivalent mass and the financial district is sent to cosmic oblivion, followed quickly by the rest of the planet.

this kills rural whites right?

because if so i'm all for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

navyjack posted:

Like to share this anecdote with y’all.

I work in a hotel bar, and today a distinguished silver fox 3 piece suit businessman wandered past on his way to a meeting and glanced at my TV showing CNN. He exclaimed at the Dow being up 300 points and asked me if I’d seen that Bezos was up over 100 billion. I said that I had, and, not being above a little bougie-baiting, offered the opinion that things were a little “top-heavy.” He stared at me a second, laughed, and said “a little top-heavy? Son, this reminds me of early 2008. This market scares the poo poo out of me. It’s gonna be one wild ride to the bottom!”

Then he bought a beer, tipped me 5 bucks, and wandered off to whatever big bucks meeting he was having.

So...it’s not just us, I guess.

he's not wrong

the growth since trump was elected (hell, the growth since like 14) doesn't have much to show for it outside of just capital being pushed around and republicans are doing everything in their power to make it bigger

i've been saying for months that poo poo's going down around tax time next year if republicans can't get the tax bill passed and i'm sticking to it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
my work (architecture/engineering) is becoming a subsidiary of a huge engineering firm and one of the reason why the partners did this was the collapse coming sometime next year and they wanted to hitch their (the employees) futures to a much larger boat to weather the coming storm

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

bawfuls posted:

Is the default rate on subprime auto loans creeping up like the subprime mortgage default rate was in 2008?

iirc yes, and it has been for some time now

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Xelkelvos posted:

Just gonna drop this here from the USPOL thread in D&D

:frogout:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

so i've got to do a presentation for my econ class where i present an issue and give solutions. accepting submissions for the funniest things to talk about- currently leaning towards the libor scandal

the issue is capitalism and the solution is full communism now

comrade :ussr:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FCKGW posted:

LA doesn't want the hyperloop and they're building out light rail like crazy, should have a pretty solid public transportation network by the time the olympics roll around

this is true

the firm i work for is doing an absolute rear end load of work on infrastructure for LA, most of it revolving around the increased light rail and subway expansion projects

poo poo one project is worth like $10m... just for the engineering side of it

iirc the total project cost is like $600m

this is for 1/2 of the huge LAX expansion that ties in the subway/light rail that's in downtown along with removing a ton of car congestion at the airport proper

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://i.imgur.com/0KolUmZ.gifv

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
my favorite thing about ca rent is that the city of irvine won’t meet their affordable housing target until like the year 3000 at the rate their going

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
easy fix to ca housing prices is for prop 13 to only apply to the first 3 properties

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

jabokiebean posted:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/20/724978646/ford-slashes-10-of-its-global-salaried-workforce

Ford cutting 7000 white collar jobs worldwide, 10% of salaried workforce

wasn't ford like the only us automaker to not be always on the edge of bankruptcy like only 2-3 years ago?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Ford recently abandoned its entire line of sedans, so they probably just picked up some dumbass executive team.

the taurus i can understand since it was a boat and i almost never saw one outside of rental fleets, but the fiesta and focus i see constantly and iirc they sold well and were well made

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hobbesmaster posted:

And somehow Ford is the most successful of the big 3 american automotive companies.

chrystler/jeep/dodge seems to be recovering a bit post fiat merger after dalmer looted an pillaged them for everything, but gm is a hot loving mess of bullshit like they've been for the past 30-40 years

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
the only cool thing about gm is that they have a few really good small diesel engines that are US legal and get great mileage... but gently caress buying the cars that they are attached to

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 20, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also i really hope the diesel they stick in the wrangler isn't a piece of poo poo (it probably will be) because that's literally my dream non-sports car

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

lol if you get any jeep that isn't a wrangler

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Scionix posted:

im honestly not sure why anyone would buy a not sports/luxury car that isnt a mazda/toyota/honda. I honestly cant even think of an american sedan/hatchback/SUV I would consider buying as an appliance car. Ford fusion maybe?

no one makes an actual suv that's designed to go off road anymore except for subaru and jeep :sigh:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Its the multijet block from Opel/fiat yeah?imo it's a legit contender for best engine in the last decade.its the engine BMW/VW wish they made.

if it's the 1.6L then yes

the only problem is that the equinox is ugly as sin (like all chevys) and they hosed the terrain hard by forcing the push button gear shift on it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

good

easy

win

:mitt:

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 22, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

mycomancy posted:

This really underscores how fake and arbitrary money is.

Our entire society really is built on schoolyard pretend games, isn't it?

yes

this is why i have invested heavily in gold guns and canned goods

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1161745274739580928?s=20

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
trump will 100% put those that can't work in concentration camps and the chuds will cheer him on for doing it while being loaded onto the trains to them

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

folks, ive got a billion dollar idea, something nobody's thought of before

what if we made a tunnel underground with a fixed track, and on that track runs some sort of cart for transport of various things, even people!

except to ride in this you still need a car, and no poors are allowed on

can the tunnel have a bunch of lasers like that once scene from resident evil?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

ya sure, it can be a game where you see what kills you first, the laser wall or the explosive force of a 2,000 mile long pressurized tunnel depressurizing

i demand that it be pressurized to nine atmospheres then in honor of the byford dolphin

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

abelwingnut posted:

dow futures down 600. the market has been closed for 72 minutes. we have an entire weekend ahead of us.

that's not normal.

at all.

the number is good

the penis is evil

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

no circuit breaker over the weekend

:stoked:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Junior G-man posted:

number existed before us, will exist far after us

blasphemer

we didn't start the number

it was always fallin since the worlds been turnin

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
this is direct action i can get behind

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Republicans forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

there's one lady, Serena or Zelina or something with the NYT or WaPo, who has basically made a career out of interviewing the same millionaire party official of some pennsylvania town except she describes him as "concerned worker" or whatever

this is different than the group of independent woman voters* in texas right?

*by independent voters i mean they're in charge of trumps woman outreach campaign in texas

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What is about credit unions that makes them better than larger banks? Is there any unethical banking practice that's impossible for a credit union to also be guilty of?

the depositors are the shareholders that the CEO has to answer to

or at least that's how it is with my credit union

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Teal posted:

what stage of capitalism is this again?

the bad one

they're all bad

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

:smith:

literally what both my parents did since neither were 65 when they died

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Padams posted:

same, my dad literally died on the way to work. He was a 69 year old truck driver and was driving out to his truck terminal when he had a massive heart attack, managed to pull over to the side of the road, and died.

at least that was nice

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Shageletic posted:

Galt's Gunt

girth of a nation

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

$420

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Tulip posted:

And treating a public health issue as an individual moral feature is as incompetent for food as for water or air.

but it's worked so well for the opioid/crack/mass shooting epidemics