Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Poniard posted:

I can fit my entire paycheck in my wallet

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I want to delay paying my federal student loans by simply not having an income or assets for a while after graduation, and getting on some kind of an extenuating circumstances deferment.

Did I just gently caress up qualifying for that by getting married to someone who has lots of assets and rental income? Do they look at that, and how strict are their requirements?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

bawfuls posted:

yes this is definitely the source of the student loan bubble and no public university students are impacted

I went to the UC system, didn't take out any loans until well into grad school and now owe over 150k (not a typo) lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Seek help and yes get therapy, which still exists, and stop posting gloom or reading this thread if you're so far gone

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

DOW SOARS!!!!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

oystertoadfish posted:

the number that contains most of my savings has gone down almost 3% today lol

despite the soaaaaaaaring dow

Rice?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

the opposite of a bear is clearly a twink

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

silicone thrills posted:

Just got an email from my student loan provider raising my rates again for like the 3rd time this year. It has gone from about 3.5% 2 years ago to 5.65%. Can't wait for the student loan bubble to pop.

They can do that???

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It's completely absurd that loans which are fully guaranteed and non-dischargeable have interest rates this high.

Thanks Joe Biden

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's the AP too, that's probably going to be the most measured chioce of words we'll see all day from the media

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Was about to post exactly that response, saw that there was a new page, did not disappoint

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Watch them make it impossible to get a US visa to ever visit home again if they deem you are too wantonly delinquent

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm too old to become properly bilingual and pull it off, even if there is some other country that is not turning fascist, with an economy that the US won't take down with it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jon Joe posted:

is china going in a better or worse direction than the us

Seemingly worse, the leader just got lifetime dictator powers and the one party that controls everything unquestioned is setting up a public rating system to identify and punish unpatriotic individuals

Wealth inequality in the cities there is pretty similar to what I see in US cities, if not a little worse

Instead of Ferraris driving by homeless untreated schizophrenics everywhere you look like in LA, it's people buying $60,000 purses in stores as they walk by factory burn victims begging for cash outside the door, and tons of people who should be retired slaving away at menial jobs and biking to work on crowded and hopelessly dangerous roads

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
"stole"

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks, we

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Salmon go up?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

FCKGW posted:

yes

one my favorite apple patents is a screen that has millions of tiny webcams between each individual pixel

Link?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm unmedicated this year for the first time in years :unsmith:

Started getting weird sensations and pains and movement symptoms from the antidepressants (which can come out gradually after a long time on them) and got the gently caress off of those before it could turn into permanent nerve dysfunction

So watch out for that FYI

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 8, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

If they use this on both sides of a phone it will be completely invisible

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Check this whole thread... shaking my head so much here

Heard that it happened to me when applying at Disney animation. Crazy to hear so many stories of confirmation in the comments that yes, this does happen. What kind of sociopaths can sit there and interview someone with a straight face knowing that it's fake, who then has to go on wondering for months if they'll get the job (and not making useful alternate plans in the meantime). Much less take someone house shopping nearby like in one of the stories.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 16, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In the comments, those two names Notre Dame leaked were a spousal hire and an internal promotion, btw

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
When does that price change take effect? Do I need to run and quit my subscription right now or something?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Quoting this important image in every thread now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's a good post, saving it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Wasn't the money visibly accessed an hour after the article was posted, per the bitcoin thread? Classic exit scam

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Truga posted:

yeah i cheated, i was doing other things and alttabing back to the game every so often to click a bunch of poo poo that piled up.

That's the intended playstyle yes

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
30,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 paperclips in 26 hours!

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

Thanks for that, thread! In seriousness it was better for my mental health to play that game than to follow the news.

Whoever said the game was pretty doomsday econ was right. You destroy the universe, reject the option to simulate a new universe (everybody chose that, right?), disassemble all your robots and finish converting all of them to paperclips too. But there's also hopeful messages that can be taken away from it.

The paperclip game is really not telling only one story. Obviously there's the story of a civilization expanding endlessly to its final limit. But the other stated goal of the creator was to simply illustrate the concept of exponential growth and big numbers that are hard for humans to grasp. A lot of processes like the game's paperclip economy and its reproducing space probes are exponential.

It's sort of refreshing, to one's worldview, to see huge numbers in action. The game quickly takes you from fretting about money and factories on earth to suddenly being in the middle of spaceship wars, with quadrillions of your probes shooting down trillions of probes that betrayed the cause, all the while devouring billions of planets per second along with their matter. You're not even thinking about those planets anymore; they don't matter.

All of planet earth's problems do seem quite small once you're suddenly thrust into that phase of the game. It's kind of nice actually to think about the big picture, bigger than our species for a change. About how little we know about physics and time and possible configurations of matter. Sci-fi is nice for taking your mind off the things that only matter at a small scale.

I might make an effort post about that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What's Musk doing there?

Also to whoever said to get a Taco Bell skittles freeze thank you, I got one now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I, no poo poo, cried at the ending of the paperclip game

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thought I would share something that gave me hope today with the doomsday thread. Continuing the good thoughts I had from playing that paperclip game everyone was on about, and thinking about sci-fi for a bit instead of our doomsday economy.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

30,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 paperclips in 26 hours!

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/

Thanks for that, thread! In seriousness it was better for my mental health to play that game than to follow the news.

Whoever said the game was pretty doomsday econ was right. You destroy the universe, reject the option to simulate a new universe (everybody chose that, right?), disassemble all your robots and finish converting all of them to paperclips too. But there's also hopeful messages that can be taken away from it.

The paperclip game is really not telling only one story. Obviously there's the story of a civilization expanding endlessly to its final limit. But the other stated goal of the creator was to simply illustrate the concept of exponential growth and big numbers that are hard for humans to grasp. A lot of processes like the game's paperclip economy and its reproducing space probes are exponential.

It's sort of refreshing, to one's worldview, to see huge numbers in action. The game quickly takes you from fretting about money and factories on earth to suddenly being in the middle of spaceship wars, with quadrillions of your probes shooting down trillions of probes that betrayed the cause, all the while devouring billions of planets per second along with their matter. You're not even thinking about those planets anymore; they don't matter.

All of planet earth's problems do seem quite small once you're suddenly thrust into that phase of the game. It's kind of nice actually to think about the big picture, bigger than our species for a change. About how little we know about physics and time and possible configurations of matter. Sci-fi is nice for taking your mind off the things that only matter at a small scale.

I might make an effort post about that.

That there is a game about destroying the entire universe.

But we know that humanity is hard to fully kill off. And even if it happened, something else should eventually evolve.

Thinking about the extreme long term like that and all possible configurations of it and the wonders of the unknown universe gave me hope today. Sci-fi is good like that for pulling oneself out of despair over the short term; to think instead about the long march of evolution and advancing knowledge and technology itself over millions of years. Of the fact that we still cannot even rule out other civilizations far away.

Long effort post:

We see so much tragedy around us in our individual, short term lives, but for our civilization and species at large, most forms of tragedy are eventually reversible over enough generations.

Long-term, what matters more are any steps of progress we make that happen to be irreversible. On a long enough time scale our individual suffering and misfortune will one day be overshadowed by these, and scarcely remembered.

The greatest fear then is to backslide as a civilization; to have our accomplishments not just erased but permanently forgotten, leaving our successors to start over without knowing the way we did things.

Most of today's forms of tragedy could be softened if we could prevent data loss. I mean the permanent loss of minds inherent in death. If death did not bring about data loss (in any form, as in we still have a program that acts like the person), we would not need to avoid it so carefully and many other forms of tragedy would cease to be quite as meaningful.

To make the world feel less tragic we would do well to immediately find a means of storing more of a human as data.

Sure, some Black Mirror poo poo might happen in the short term, but tragedy already happens and has always happened at near maximum levels throughout our entire evolutionary history. I'm talking about the opening up of some non-tragic possibilities for the first time in ever, that will stay around long term.

There are two sides to storing a human: Storing knowledge, and storing behavior. We have already become proficient at storing a human's knowledge, maybe not individually but definitely for all our knowledge combined. There is enough general purpose knowledge about our culture and discoveries stored on the internet (and in a form we will hopefully copy to more permanent mediums) to allow anyone who finds it to recreate all of modern civilization, just the way we do things in the world today. Indistinguishably so unless you zoom down into the level of individual lives and see that we do still lack the ability to recreate those from data. But our civilization scale knowledge is somewhat protected. That form of data loss has been mitigated at least. The death of our species would be a more tragic prospect if it hadn't; it's a good thing.

An individual can already try to store their own data too, manually, by writing down everything about themselves, and although they'll never finish it's better than nothing. But this seems less important and less reliable than storing the individual's behavior. If we could do that we'd be mitigating a lot of the data loss death brings.

It's clear enough that to store an accurate guess of whatever tree of decisions an individual person follows every time they encounter some new stimulus is effectively the same as storing their behavior. If we could do that, the person is effectively still there. Even if we can do it imprecisely they'll only be missing some knowledge, but still there as long as our statistical model of them didn't miss the big picture.

Of course in reality you would not want to use a decision tree; those are not the best model of the mind. A set of diverse algorithms ran concurrently is closer to what the mind actually does and would be easier to work with and make. But a huge decision tree that's equivalent to that exists and it just gets the point across better. People have an easier time picturing a decision tree and accepting it as a true replacement of a person, if it can uncannily reproduce every single decision that person would make from a given moment in their life, including the stimuli in front of them right this minute. Most people could agree that if they are chatting with that decision tree made from someone, then that copy is passing as that person and passing the Turing test. Any potential data loss from that person's death is mitigated.

It may not be enough to store all of a person's behavior but, again, to get the big picture right is better than nothing.

We already have computing power *today* that we could try this on in at least lovely reduced versions that could scale up later. We just aren't. Computer scientists of today are not focused on simulating brain organs or exploring the range of what those organ's processes do. Even the ones who call themselves AI researchers are not doing this. Here we live in a decade where neuroscientists finally understand what many brain organs do on a data level, and computer scientists are mostly ignorant of it and not bothering to try implementing models of it! The computer scientists of today live in a cultural bubble and probably aren't even aware of the advances made by other fields. I would know, I'm one of them. We are privileged, think highly of ourselves and our own field, and get hired by Silicon Valley not to work on any problems of consequence for our species, but to make cash money for CEOs.

When you ask the folks who study "artificial intelligence" what they're working you find that they're really just doing advanced puzzle solving with engineering applications. Extremely profitable but gimmicky engineering applications, for Google or stock traders anyone doing business analytics or machine learning. Any number of startup companies with empty promises for making investor money flow. The effort to actually model what neuroscientists already know in 2019 is just not there because today's computer scientists do not care to try.

Conclusion: The impending collapse of Silicon Valley and the economy might be the spark we need to force computer scientists to actually work on problems of societal value again instead of business value. We could hopefully see an end to this AI winter and a resurgence in interest in simulating brain organs, modeling the behavior of individual humans (for *that human's sake* this time and not those corporate interests wishing to exploit them). To use science to chip away at how much information we lose whenever a person dies.

TLDR: The Silicon Valley crash might be good for scientific progress in some limited ways. And also if the doomsday economy has you down maybe spend more time thinking about Sci-fi instead.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 26, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
what the gently caress man whatever happened to just fasting

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Food Boner posted:

dumb lotax what would u do if your brain were digitized and you could live forever

Hit copy paste on myself a lot, take insane risks irl, no longer worry about losing my loved ones or my own mind

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We just want to read what's in it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hey thread check out what I found, it's a visual demonstration of how big the population is

https://alteredqualia.com/xg/examples/everybody.html

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Graduated and now my student loans are about to come due. The school wants me to do an "exit interview" which seems like a disclosure of tons of my info to them, to guarantee that they never lose track of me and can always bug me. If I don't, the school puts a hold on my records (and probably more since I still work for them).

Besides my parents' contact info they want "references", three of my friends' contact info. That is lame. Did you all have to do that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm listing down you three that replied as my references