Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

I'm hopefully going to have time to try the demo this weekend, but can someone explain to me why Splatoon 2 is so good? I've watched videos of the first one and it feels like an inordinate amount of time per match is spent just spamming paint onto the walls. I'm wanting to like the game and hoping it will just kind of click for me when I play it, but does it really have a lot of longevity as a multiplayer game where you can get really good at it or doing ranked mode etc?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Shakedown Hawaii... good? It looked like a Hotline Miami ripoff aesthetically but the gameplay looks like two or three other things combined in an interesting way so now I'm curious.

It's a follow-up to Retro City Rampage, which itself borrows heavily from GTA 1 and 2. It was competently made but I found the meme-heavy writing grating. The dev said he's ditching the memes, for what it's worth, and I think that trailer looks pretty cool.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm going to play Mother 3 on the Switch and I don't care who makes that happen, but it's happening.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I like how the boxes look on my shelf.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does nobody there try to import

I mean, especially when games are more expensive in Japan for no reason and this is region free

Most (not all) Switch games aren't much more expensive in Japan. Amazon JP has Splatoon for the equivalent of about $49.

I've actually been importing most of my games just for the hell of it, since even after shipping it's only a few dollars more.

Edit: Just in case anyone goes looking to import from Amazon JP, they are really funky about shipping rates on preorders until a day or two before release, so watch out for that.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 17, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I'll post the link to make it easy for people: http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

Click and download and play a good game.

Hmm, I'm having trouble loading that on my Nintendo Switch, the system on which it is perfect.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

murked by dragon posted:

i want to play all of the [...] games; on the Switch

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

enojy posted:

Dr. Tim please don't do anything extreme when Super Mario World finally comes out and you realize it's a totally mediocre game

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks, simple question here but I couldn't really find an answer. I want to buy my brother a game for his Switch, am I able to digitally gift games to him? He prefers the digital copies, so I'm only being partially lazy here.

Thanks!

Some stores have download cards so you can buy him a digital code but still hand him a gift or whatever.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

Motion controls just aren't good. I'm lying on the couch with the Switch in my hand and it's just not lining up properly and it's awkward turning and all that other stuff. No bueno. Wish they had more sensitivity options for no motion. Kinda lame that they don't.

Please splat with proper posture.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

EDSF is normal compared to me, who uses a mouse in their left hand and remaps everything to arrow keys and surrounding keys.

IJKL :angel:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'll buy Rabbids but I also bought 1 2 Switch so I'll pretty much buy anything

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Harvest moon when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJEY-lVwTQ

Oh... um... Stardew when?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Is there ever going to be a smash game for the switch?

Absolutely. FlingSmash 2.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Kick rear end, I liked the first one on PS4 and I'll probably get the sequel there too.

Here's some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euG4FL3QjpM

Those are some really nice improvements to an already great game. I might not need to buy Minecraft now.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I've heard good things about istocknow but basically check big box stores before noon.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I wish I had enough free time to think that the Switch has too few games.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bird Law posted:

Saw this amazing Switch case on reddit, except it's kickstarter :negative:

The shoulder buttons look like they could feel pretty terrible.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm the guy looking at a picture of a guy playing the Nintendo Switch when I could be playing the Nintendo Switch instead.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

The future is now.

It won't fit. :argh:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Switch mini when

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Still has Sonic's utterly dogshit jumping and running acceleration physics though, which is why the entire franchise is a failure.

Every few years the internet tricks me into trying a Sonic game and this is always true.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Plus the screen protector really makes the colors POP!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Can't even buy a switch on Amazon Friday it'll have been a month

Have you heard of these places called stores?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
That's a good cover in that it accurately depicts the quality of the game.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

WiiU doesn't have Snipperclips.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Splatoon 2 also updates three times as often as CoD: IW or Blops 3.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but I read 16 for Splatoon 2 and 20 for Blops 3. e: And 10 or 20 for IW dedicated servers or PtP.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

That's how many milliseconds between updates.

1000ms/16.66ms = 60 updates per second. 30 up, 30 down.

Nope, I'm talking updates per second.

I'm on mobile, but here's a link. Scroll down to the graphs.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 21, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

enojy posted:

I agree with that dude 100% but I hate to say it's just not going to happen (dedicated servers for Splatoon 2.)

Yeah. For what it's worth I don't find it that bad in practice. The high risk of double splatting in head-to-head fighting feels intended and I haven't been splatted around a corner yet.

Once a paid subscription (no matter how cheap) is part of the equation I might have higher standards.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait for Dragon Quest Builders 1/2. It has actual objectives and looks cute.

Just to expand on this, you have specific quests (build a place where your townspeople can cook, build a gate, craft a certain medicine, kill this monster) and even get basic blueprints for buildings to build which you can then greatly modify. It still involves exploration and digging and discovering crafting recipes, and at any point you still have the freedom to build whatever you want. Builders 1 was really good.

I'd also recommend Terraria once that comes out. It's 2D and has a looser quest structure (more like a suggested progression) but I found those kind of goals helped nudge me to building more creatively and kept me from losing interest.

Note: I actually haven't played Minecraft and I understand it eventually added a loose quest system, but I haven't heard a lot of praise over the addition.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The demo for Dragon Quest Heroes had an absolutely horrendous framerate. I hope they can do a better job on the Switch in the future because I want me some more Hyrule Warriors.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

John Lee posted:

I mean, Amazon the company isn't physically handling your goods. They don't have Amazon Shipping or anything. It's just Some Guy Who Works For USPS Or UPS who busted up your poo poo, and you can and should complain to them, but being mad at Amazon about it is like being mad at your restaurant server for undercooking your steak.

Amazon's packing has gone to poo poo.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Digital Foundry played a bit of Skyrim on Switch in portable mode and it appears to run at a stable 720p / 30fps. Not bad for Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHb5ElEXYCA

It'll be interesting to learn how it performs while docked and what new and interesting bugs this version includes.

Why do they keep calling it the surprise of the show? It's a six year old game that had already been announced back in January.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I want Dragon Quarter on the Switch.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

It seems like the actual reason rhythm heaven is in trouble is because one of the lead people has had to semi-retire because of throat cancer, but that still doesn't make the series dead, obviously. Lot of people involved in those games.

I bet it gets an iOS game that reuses a lot of old content ala Megamix. It's extremely mobile-friendly.

I would say that tsunku is like THE lead person. He essentially created the series and wrote most of the music.

You're right that that doesn't mean the series is dead, but my hopes for a new game in the series just went way down.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
My lizard brain derives pleasure from hoarding possessions.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Harmonix, in their on-going mission to make rhythm games out of game genres that don't need rhythm game elements, has a new rhythm game thing for Switch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9ALEiNCO8

Of all the character designs to crib from they went with Funko Pop? :barf:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Lol someone in the chat asked if Japanese people understood that motion

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

welp, time to steal more ammiboes

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Touch Arcade has a vid of Super Meat Boy Forever, and even for a SMB game this looks like real bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVKOCUm_Njo

Yeesh

• Locked thread