Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

pentyne posted:

I think you're missing the entire point which is "don't narc on coworkers" when they take something like food or drinks. No one is rolling in and taking $6k worth of truffles this is all stuff that could easily be accounted for as food waste.

I've been giving everyone in my restaurants free meals because there's a pandemic, discounts went up 0.5% and food waste went down 0.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The thought of the general public on the line is greatly amusing and terrifying

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lemme guess chicken breast and turkey breast as inedible

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"That reminds of when Mark --- Big Mark --- [anecdote]". I'm up to Big Mark, Little Mark, Sports Mark, Downtown Mark, and now New Mark."

God help you if you get named New Mark, your still gonna be getting called New Mark when you're the oldest Mark there.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I haven't worked on the line in 10 years and I still wake up at 6am every day thinking someone called in sick and I have to go in.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Hopefully it mostly ends up like what happened here when minimum went from $11.60 to $14 in a day: fuckin' nothing. Owners that are complaining about minimum wage increasing were already scheduling the minimum amount of labour, and you can't cut more staff from there and still function. They'll either eat the costs or increase prices, and hopefully it doesn't affect you too much.

The couple years after this were our most profitable ever, turns out giving millions of potential customers a 20% raise is actually good for business.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

He groped her then tossed a $20 at her. He was planned this move. It wasn't like a long drawn out deal. They immediately forcibly removed the guy. I don't really know how they could have helped in the moment.

What's upsetting about management is all the servers have brought up with management that guys are grabbing rear end all day and they were told to deal with it, it's a sports bar. They knew all of our table service staff are getting harassed and just decided to watch it happen instead of dealing with it. It didn't used to be like this and I don't know why it's happening. It's really depressing.

This happened at one of my first restaurants. 3 of the cooks went sprinting after him carrying a shovel - I never learned what happened after that.

It's a weird patriarchal culture where there's a constant background hum of sexual harassment coming from the kitchen, but they get angry when a customer does it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Tomato King must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of new guys

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've cut myself more on the underside of stainless counters than everything else put together,

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just interviewed a GM who is still covering shifts for their owner 6 months after getting laid off. This is not a normal way of doing business, please don't fall into that trap.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"we really need you"

Interviewed another GM today whose company transferred him to a store where he doesn't speak the local language and left him there for 2 years.

vvv Shady bosses here like to hire recent immigrants who don't know their legal rights and might even depend on their job to get PR.

I've spent the past year poaching hotel/fine/casual talent into my QSR business in exchange for higher pay and benefits, less hours, and no emotional abuse. I think the sector's gonna be in big trouble once we re-open.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 10, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If they need you that bad I'm sure they would be willing to buy shoes for you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've seen a couple fires from that. Not sure how you could get an injury though? I can't imagine coming into contact with the oil when you're draining it, it's still hot for like 6 hours after you turn off the fryer.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ontario hiring is on fire rn, every salary is negotiable

Compared to last winter when multiple recruiters called me for multi-unit roles paying $50k lol

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 28, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Doesn't everyone clean their shoes in the dish sprayer

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can definitely serve medium burgers in Canada because I order them all the time.

In my area the health code doesn't define specific can and cants for restaurants, but requires them to have a written food safety plan that is approved by the health inspector.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ordering your lettuce well done

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Boiling my food in the water that will kill me might technically be OK but I'd have a hard time with it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine 132 untrained civilians in a kitchen

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

How would I try to find how well nearby Starbucks are doing?

A fast food coffee shop would expect to do ~200 customers per hour during the morning rush, just go there and count people.

Also hooooly poo poo this is a risky idea don't spend your life savings on it lmao

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Congrats you'll stop having nightmares about loving up an order in 4 years or so

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Just go out back with an espresso when you want to hang out

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

(Okay but in honesty thats what i assume will happen, i have never worked with grubhub or any of those apps so i dont actually know if the contract says the resteraunt is supposed to fill all those orders and is liable for the cost)

Typically they only pay a percentage for cancelled orders, so you aren't out foodcost but it doesn't cover labour or the other orders you didn't get to make instead.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

loving doordash.

Somehow they got my personal cell# mixed up with one of my restaurants and called over 20 times at 3am before I woke up enough to pull the sim card.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In one of the provinces the government did a soda tax overnight and our POS supplier couldn't update their 1990's spaghetti code fast enough so hundreds of restaurants had to do that poo poo by hand.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Canada too, can't wait to find out that there are restaurants in Montreal and Toronto

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The most realistic thing is everyone refusing to do things different, because it is not the way they always did it (that is leading them towards failure.)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

My thing was cooks who'd take out the garbage without immediately replacing the bag

Fire immediately

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Wroughtirony posted:

I work at a German restaurant that serves a schweinhaxe as big as a human baby, it's ridiculous. I think my favorite dish is sauerbraten with spaetzle, though.

What are your top 5 mustards

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

This, 100%. It's also a service oriented business that will never run out of clients - unless you live in a tiny town with only a handful of restaurants, there will always be places that need that service.

Also once you are certified you can start your own business and people will gladly pay you $150/hr to show up on time and sober.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/tommybayertime/status/1556042705897234433?t=thUtvY3tzCvgEaGk-VTZ8Q&s=19

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

virinvictus posted:

Work in a restaurant or a mining camp as a cook? Similar pay structure, but the restaurant banks hours instead of overtime.

My neighbour growing up was a bush pilot, sometimes he would take me out on his rounds when he had an open seat.

The camp cooks I met were always a little... off.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Hey FoodGoons, anyone here have any experience transitioning to a higher-end, gourmet grocery store? I'm about to get offered an exec position at a locally owned one (they do to go sandwiches and salads and poo poo, have a whole aisle full of in-house soups/chilis/dips/sauces/etc/etc, and also have a hot lunch counter with sandwiches/wraps/pizza/panzerotti/paninis - I'd be overseeing all of it) and it all seems way too loving good to be true so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to what I might be missing and if I'm actually considering stepping into hell or something.

Try to be chill with people and don't bring your baggage to your new job.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Boiling Point miniseries was really good.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

haha holy poo poo

whites only on hulu isn't much better

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It loses its charm after a few dozen restaurant openings telling 1000's of people no they can not order any food from the active construction site

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

A little known fact is you can also fire creeps for being creeps

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The staff in my current business were in literal disbelief that I would fire people for things like, among others, being an rear end in a top hat to their coworkers, or
making female colleagues uncomfortable.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

By doing it for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

When I started recruiting managers for my restaurants I was surprised that a number of candidates were actually requesting trial shifts.