Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
oh, hello new industry thread

someone i didn't like got fired and i was glad of it

oh yeah the one thing OP left out is that like, you got any weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg posted:

OH BOY FINISHING OUT YOUR EMPLOYMENT PAPERWORK SURE IS A GREAT TIME TO FIND OUT YOUR ID EXPIRED

I don't think it hurt anything too bad, and its not like I'm starving to death with an additional week until start, but shiiiiiiiiiiit there ain't nothing on this earth quite like making a tremendous rear end out of yourself 10 minutes after meeting HR

had the same exp but at the door of a dispensary during my trip to portland last year

so glad some of them were chill and realized someone prob wasn't going to pretend to be 36 and from nebraska

also lol that i made it through TSA like 4x no problem

----

oh and uh we're super busy every night rn and life is pain. namaste y'all

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
i aspire to one day haunt this straunt as a gnarled figure in pinstripe pants growling "fiiiiiifooooooooo" at anyone who will listen (no one will)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

No one ever does :(

:( :respek: :hai:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

My issues with third party delivery is If we get too many of them it increases ticket times, leading to a worse experience for the guests who bothered to show up in person, and also interfering with the ability to flip tables, two things that can screw with my tips. So now I'm working harder for less money.

this. also when the FOH thinks it's okay for a to-go to tell US what time they want their food, and it's at 7:30 on a weekend. i get that they want more money coming in but when you let someone calling in a to-go have the same priority as in-house guests who have a res during peak business you are loving up.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

MohawkSatan posted:

That's not a bad way to fix it if the end goal looks like this:

:hai:

i won't just eat the rich, i'll prep and cook them for everyone else too

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

A Man and his dog posted:

Oh my god. The owner is already having buyers remorse.

The ticket system is all hosed up. The loving thing won't save people's addresses.

This is gonna be a disaster. Yeah! Let's do it right before a Friday night.

Oh my god. :suicide:

Mezzanon posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Field Mousepad posted:

The 20$ tread safe clogs from wal mart are the best kitchen shoes I've ever worn. They last about a year, they're waterproof and comfy as gently caress. Just make sure you wash them and let em air dry.

backing this

before i had insoles i had to replace every few months that cost about the same

i've had mine over a year and i have no reason to replace them yet, compared to wearing out anything else in 6 mos or less

they are absolutely the most comfortable footwear i've ever worn

namaste y'all

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. The new sweetner is weird, too, messes with my perception of flavors something fierce. Nothing to drink with food.

they switched to sucralose right? at least it ain't stevia, stuff makes everything taste exactly the same

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
sous and exec both recently criticized the state of my station at close on a sunday night

on said sunday i was on my third day of vacation out of state

when i reminded chef that she had seen me take the lowboy apart and deep clean it the day before i left she said "don't be so defensive"

lol ok just keep paying me who gives a poo poo

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
idk what our sales were for dinner but we served 124 with a cap of less than 40

motherfuckin mother's day

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Field Mousepad posted:

Do not talk poo poo about the world's greatest hangover cure.

somebody's talkin poo poo about weed? in the industry thread!?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
i was joking with a good friend a few days back and said "now watch, between now and my therapy appointment there's gna be smtg hosed up that happens that breaks me down again"

when i got my first cooking gig and still sucked i read KC in like 3 nights and (despite being a completely basic cliche at this point to say aloud) it turned my frustration into inspiration

tony wasn't a hero to me, he was an idol. knowing the pain he must have felt on the daily is devastating in that unique way that you either relate to or don't understand at all

stay safe (or yr best approximation of it) industry goons

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
if ppl ask me to play tunes i just pull up a youtube playlist of random tricot tunes

i am rarely asked to play tunes

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
i will say tho that sleep's "dopesmoker" is far and away the best album to play for prep time

it's like an hour long and the tempo never changes and the vocals are hilarious

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

the great deceiver posted:

oh yeah i'm suing one of my employers for violating california's break laws and its looking like im gonna cash out. i hope i put them out of business

hell yeah

i blew toxic rear end in the walk-in just before someone else came in. it was rad

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
it took five years (two at the current gig) and a bunch of lovely treatment but i now make more than i ever did working call centers to cook my rear end off

i make pickles on my off time and don't have health insurance, but feeling dehumanized feels more or less normal in 2018 imo

do what you love etc

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm terrified that if I say "hey, I used to make $10/hr just doing dish at a place downtown; I think I'm worth more than 9" they'll say "okay, go get a job somewhere else, we can hire another schmuck to replace you".

this is why you can’t get out. you know that rn you are that schmuck who will take less than a living wage bc of convenience and comfort. you seem to know quite a bit about how the business is doing; have you ever considered how much money yr making them while accepting a pittance of a wage?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

ApolloSuna posted:

Id donate. Ill start it after my 13hr day is over.

definitely not quoting this post as a bookmark

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What's the dumbest reason you've ever seen someone walk out on their job in the kitchen for?

can't think of a dumbest rn but the smartest was a dude who cheesed it bc there was a bounty hunter asking for him at the front door

never saw him again, found out later he was a gigantic piece of poo poo

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
lmao breaks

i remember those from call centers

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vegetarians shouldn't be eating fried stadium food.

yuh

fryer related question: we maintain one gluten-free fryer and one where the gluten-having stuff goes. i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows! celiac association websites all back up the practice but i've never found anything that quantifies it for certain. i also know ppl with celiac and hard to work around food allergies so i want to accommodate everyone possible whenever possible, but that one's always stuck with me. nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution when it comes to allergies/conditions. guess i'm just running low on sleep and grousing.

btw if you have a nut allergy just don't bother going to a vegan restaurant. we want to serve you but cross-contamination makes it like someone with ceilac going to a traditional bakery.

e: also thosse fryer pics and their old-rear end oil lmbo

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
thanks for all the answers y’all

i’d quote each one but i’m on mobile during a slow rear end service now that all the catering orders and togo’s dried up

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

kittenmittons posted:

I am still waiting for the post-holiday slowdown, btw. Weekends have been more busy since new years and i hate everything.

haven't had a post-holiday slowdown for 2 years running

they keep saying "this week's gonna be slow!" and it never is

except for the day it was actively blizzarding, and i didn't even get to work that shift :mad:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Catfishenfuego posted:

Is this how normal people feel?

Hauki posted:

wrong thread m8

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

deedee megadoodoo posted:

(I would be the person loving everything up).

this is often an entire “professional” kitchen

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
place is running brunch from 9-4 and dinner from appx 4:30-10 and i guess regular prep will happen during brunch? it’s all a terrible idea and we’re booked solid from open to close so i know im gna be walking into a shitshow but at least i’m not working a double

happy mother’s day industry goons

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Olive! posted:

I've looked further into it. As far as I can tell, everyone's being provided breaks and only choosing not to take them, which is perfectly legal? As long as they're not specifically being pressured by the employer to not take them.

"legal" only rly matters if there are protections for workers who report the violations and, speaking as a cook in an at-will employment state, lol

i can say with certainty that i have never taken a 30 mins break during a shift in 5 years of working in the industry

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

idiotsavant posted:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

AFAIK for an 8 hour day they’re mandatory, and if people aren’t getting them or getting paid the extra compensation it’s wage theft.

haha i wondered why my shifts were mostly 7.5 hours lately

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Animal-Mother posted:

You ever notice how much of your veggies comes from Mexico? I certainly have.

i quit reading the news bc it was getting to be too much day to day, now i can focus solely on how much bullshit i deal with at work

anyway lmao

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, sure looking forward to all the staple veggie prices going through the roof. :smith:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really really hope your lower chambers pull their thumbs outta their asses and enforce labor laws in the restaurant industry

hope is for suckers and this is perhaps less likely than what you actually said

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Coasterphreak posted:

Who the gently caress orders a bacon cheeseburger and claims they have a salt allergy

jesus, people

prob the same ppl who come in asking for a dish prepared without oil of any kind and won't order a salad

still lmao at "salt allergy"

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
had an order come back for a "well done" burger

difficulty: i work at a vegan restaurant

had fun imagining someone on the opposite side of that spectrum going "AND THAT VEGETABLE BETTER STILL BE GROWING WHEN IT HITS MY TABLE"

i am so very, very tired

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mithross posted:

I had a guest order a veggie burger, which I made her. Her husband had a regular beef burger. For context our veggie patties are half as thick as the beef patties, and you get two.

She called the server over to confirm it was a veggie patty and not beef. He confirmed it.

She called me out to confirm it was a veggie patty, which I did.

She told me it was clearly meat. I told her that the point of a veggie patty is to simulate a meat patty. She didn’t believe me and refused to eat it.

How far up your own rear end do you have to be to think that a restaurant is conspiring to trick you into eating meat, to the extent of having a separate, different looking meat patty to trick vegetarians with?

i had this exact situation except that the person sent the burg back bc they didn’t believe it was a veg patty

i cooked another one of the same patty without salt and pepper seasoning and they were happy :shrug:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Stringent posted:

Imma have to gently caress with that.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
it only works on "hardnecked garlic", whatever the gently caress that is

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Manuel Calavera posted:

I have July 1-10 off from the hospital. I have to get the "you're on the schedule for the 6th and 7th" sorted out though because I will NOT be in town. And will not be driving 3 hours back to work those shifts. I would be beyond peeved if I have to do that.

extremely BOH to be thinking of that as a perhaps inevitable possibility

source: i got called in on both of my days off this past week. i've decided that if anyone asks what i do on my days off i'll say that i vacuum seal my phone in a plastic bag, throw it in a lake and spend the day swimming and diving trying to find it

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Manuel Calavera posted:

The absolute worst case scenario is I call off.

you got the days off in advance. this is not a possibility. in fact, call in for those shifts now so they can't say you didn't do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Manuel Calavera posted:

Two more days of work, and then I have 12 glorious days off.... and I have another therapist appointment before my vacation, then the followup at the clinic after. Monday was my 2 month HRTversary. :toot:

i may have actually dissociated reading and trying to comprehend the concept of "12 days off" outside the paradigm of unemployment

grats on the HRTversary~ :)