Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Think about it with regard to literally any other restaurant position. Would you ask a bartender to work without pay for a night? Absolutely loving not! I value my labor and would flatly turn down any potential employer that asked me to work for them for free.

Work deserves pay. End of story. Whether they're a new employee, potential new employee, whatever, paying them for their time and effort tells them that you value their work. It's also the bare loving minimum ethically speaking, and tells your newbies that you're a decent human being. Why is this something that we don't all agree on? What monster or idiot thinks they can attract new hires by telling them from the start that they aren't respected or valued?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Jesus Christ that place of all places can afford to pay prep cooks! Unpaid labor is unethical labor! Let Noma die!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Haha, AMAHD said "Laundry Matt".

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Old Fashioned creme brulee sounds fantastic. My girlfriend and I made Old Fashioned jello shots for my family last year: orange jello with bourbon, and a dash of bitters and a Luxardo cherry in each one. They were delicious.

The Old Fashioned is a cocktail that people often disagree on, but the most agreeable recipe I've found is as follows:

1 sugar cube or 1/4oz demerara simple syrup
2oz bourbon or rye
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Muddle the sugar cube, if using, in a double rocks glass with a splash of still water. Add other ingredients along with a strip of orange peel and a large ice cube. Stir until cold. Garnish with a maraschino cherry if desired.

Muddling the orange and cherry became popular in the 80s and 90s when the trend in cocktails was for everything to be sweet and fruity. Making the cocktail in the method I've laid out allows the base spirit to speak for itself, which I believe is the original intent of the drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just need the goddamn boilermaker to hurry up

This is me after a long shift! Am I right folks!!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Mezzanon posted:

Picked up a day shift today and when I walk in I get told that there’s a reso for 25 at 3:00 pm. Sure I can handle that. 15 kids 10 adults. Then I get told they pre-ordered the food for the kids, sure even better.

3:00 pm hits, 40 people walk in and say “we are the reservation”

Our dining room seats 45 max, so booking it off for 25 was a problem. Also they brought a sheet cake and yell at the manager when he tells them there is a cake fee for bringing your own desserts. I tell them I don’t think I have room for a group of 40 and the alpha bitch just goes “you WILL accommodate us, we are BRINGING you business.” Lady the restaurant is full and I have a twenty minute wait list

Anyways, we end up seating 12 of them in the bar and 28 in the restaurant, the pre-ordered pizza comes out and also 20 people want to order additional food and beverages. Two hours later they want the pre-ordered food split between certain people and also for me to combine the bills of certain moms with certain children with certain dads. Everybody is telling me jersey numbers because they’re a sports team but none of the kids are wearing jerseys.

What a gently caress show. Luckily I keep insanely detailed notes so I could split all of this bullshit.

My man, you are the second coming of Jesus Christ Himself for putting up with that and not eating a child's head off his neck as I would have. If I could buy you a Fernet and a beer I would.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

Nowadays the best gatekeeping on chili is to argue over what kinds of cheese and beef (and or beans as needed) to use in it.

I'm (very slowly) working up an effortpost on food labeling and how Panera's screwing everything up for everyone that I'm going to post in the pseudoscience thread. Should I link it here?

Sounds cool. Where's the psuedoscience thread?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
lol a man and his dog got banned and bought a rereg instead of an unban and now he'll probably catch a perma

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We use acrylic straws that we wash and reuse, and we've heard zero complaints. They're also like ten cents apiece so if one gets stolen or bent or whatever it's not a big deal at all.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

iospace posted:

Wow, an owner that actually doesn't sweat the small stuff in terms of items and will shell out?

What country are you in?

America, shockingly. We run a real tight ship with regard to server errors and thus reduce service-side comps/costs pretty considerably. If our only service-side shrink is the occasional ten-cent straw then we're happy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We do a good one where I work. I'll ask chef about it tomorrow (I'm FOH).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

pile of brown posted:

Fortunately my sous had substance abuse issues so

I never do this, but: new thread title?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll allow it.

yesss

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

2. Today I learned about natural wines, never heard of that before. Is there a big difference, other than catering to the organic co-op crowd?
2a. I freaking love sardines (and make art out of the cans, if anyone's willing to ship me some*), but I always enjoy them with beer. What kind of wines do they pair them with?

This is a challenging thing since there's no regulations in place on what saying "natural" on your label actually means to the consumer. Common practice is generally that you're not using pesticides, you're not fining or filtering with anything, you're not adding sulfites as a preservative, and you're fermenting with the yeast that naturally occurs on the skins of the grapes (e.g., what is native to the environment and thus a truer expression of terroir) instead of pitching a lab-made yeast blend. This is all done by the winemaker in pursuit of a product that more accurately expresses its native region's terroir, for the most part, but no one will deny that it's beneficial these days to have those words on your label to profit off of those chucklefucks who buy things because they say Natural! and Organic! on them.

I would do sardines with maybe a Muscadet or Sancerre, which are both very dry, mineral and zesty French whites. But my preference would be to do as the Spanish do and have sardines with a glass of fino sherry.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So over the past year or so, I've been putting pressure on my GM and our corporate parent company to get away from some of the bad practices the industry is known for. Late last year, we eliminated unpaid staging and put in place a "discretionary payout" system to pay stages for their shift, and today I got the news that the pay scale restructure I've been fighting for has gone through. All my cooks are getting raises from 3 to 5 dollars, and it is resetting their time counter for reviews to a clean slate for us to begin doing scheduled reviews for raises.

It's a good day.

That loving rules. Good for you, man. We need more people like you around.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I guess this is the best place to post this.

This is my fiance’s rough draft of the logo of the pop-up bar we’re working on, Edgewood Union Lodge. As you may have already gathered, we’re focused on advocating for service industry rights. The ethos is cheap sherry cocktails, unpretentious industry camaraderie, and labor rights advocacy. We’ll be bringing in representatives from local labor unions to educate on what unions can do for you, how to strike, things like that. The cocktail menu is sherry-driven because it’s cheap and friendly. We’ll be serving an Admiral Russell’s Punch, entirely because of Kenning’s presence in the cocktail thread.

I absolutely have this thread to thank for inspiring me. Hospitality is increasingly important in helping both ourselves and each other cope with the world around us, and the people who do it for a living deserve more than they get. I hope to do some small part in evening the odds for us industry weirdos. Thanks for being you, Something Awful Restaurant Industry Thread.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

prayer group posted:

I guess this is the best place to post this.

This is my fiance’s rough draft of the logo of the pop-up bar we’re working on, Edgewood Union Lodge. As you may have already gathered, we’re focused on advocating for service industry rights. The ethos is cheap sherry cocktails, unpretentious industry camaraderie, and labor rights advocacy. We’ll be bringing in representatives from local labor unions to educate on what unions can do for you, how to strike, things like that. The cocktail menu is sherry-driven because it’s cheap and friendly. We’ll be serving an Admiral Russell’s Punch, entirely because of Kenning’s presence in the cocktail thread.

I absolutely have this thread to thank for inspiring me. Hospitality is increasingly important in helping both ourselves and each other cope with the world around us, and the people who do it for a living deserve more than they get. I hope to do some small part in evening the odds for us industry weirdos. Thanks for being you, Something Awful Restaurant Industry Thread.

I realized that I didn't say where this is. It's in Atlanta. I also realize I didn't talk about my favorite part of our menu, the Debbie Sherry, which is Little Debbie snack cakes paired with different sherries, for like five bucks. We haven't nailed it down completely but I'm thinking an amontillado with a Honey Bun, an oloroso with a Nutty Buddy, and a cream sherry with an Oatmeal Creme Pie.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

idiotsavant posted:

Not to be a Debby Downer cause this sounds like a neat idea, but speaking as an actual union member if you’re going to use union iconography and union labeling I really hope you’re actually reaching out to a local union to actually have some kind of official organization, even if it’s just the two of you.

Maybe you’re already on that path (and I hope you are!) but if you aren’t it’s... not great, even if the work you plan to do is admirable.

Yeah, establishing a server/bartender union is definitely a goal down the road. I appreciate your perspective!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, can anyone honestly say that the POS system they use is good across the board and they'd recommend it?

Our system is TouchBistro, an iPad app. It's mostly fine, but there's some real weird flaws in the UI that tell me the programming aspect was outsourced to the lowest bidder. I've been halfheartedly exploring learning app development as a way out of the service industry, and I feel like an actually-good POS system designed by someone with restaurant experience just straight up does not exist yet.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's what it's like getting people to order wine. Oh, to work at a bar that doesn't give out tastes of wines.

This week I was waiting on a guy who was going back and forth between two tastes of different white wines while I was trying to get an order out of him, and I said to him "C'mon man, we're not buying a house here, we're ordering a glass of wine." He goes "first of all, how dare you", I laugh, his wife laughs, he orders the semillon blend, and I am comforted by the fact that I just got away with saying some pretty spicy poo poo to a guest.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well, I don't really like being told that something that happened to me didn't actually happen. I was there, dude.

My point there was really that having the tact and situational awareness of knowing when you can get away with saying something like that really makes dealing with difficult people a little easier. But you can just go "nah, that didn't happen" if you want.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

litany of gulps posted:

The correct answer here was “first of all, how dare you”

Absolutely correct.

W/r/t tasting pours, I feel like it's a bigger deal to occasional drinkers. Someone who only drinks on weekends and never has more than a couple can probably get pretty anxious when presented with a lot of appealing options, feeling a desire to make the most of their night and only commit to something they really like. This mode of thinking is lost on me, however, and I suspect likewise of my fellow degenerates here in this thread.

And to the non-industry few who read this thread, please don't feel like we get pissed off when you ask to try something that's reasonable for you to want to try. But don't ask me for tastes of spirits unless I'm already cool with you. That poo poo is crazy presumptuous.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The way everyone around here uses it is that "swinging" means you're carrying something that's taking up some space, so the person must account for that plus your body passing behind/around them. "Reaching" is when your body isn't moving but your hand and potentially something else will be.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Always fun having a guy in your kitchen who used to work in a place like that. Coming down the line with hot fryer oil yelling "I WILL BURN YOU AND I WILL LAUGH".

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What loving timing. I just started full-time bartending for a very highly-anticipated 30-seat restaurant in Atlanta three weeks ago. This afternoon the owner tells me we're voluntarily running takeout only this week, and we'll see what happens after that. Our payroll is being run a week early so me and the other FOH employees get our tips for the past week. We'll also be getting a cut of sales from gift cards, plus tips on takeout orders. The three salaried employees (the bar/FOH manager and the two cooks) have agreed to reduced salaries for the week. The owner hasn't cut himself a paycheck since we opened, and will continue to refrain for the week. He's a great guy and I told him I felt safer about my future than I would if I was working for anyone else. I'm taking it as an unexpected staycation, which is welcome since I've been working 55 hours a week since we opened.

I haven't really heard anything about the amount of cases in Atlanta, but there's no state-mandated closures yet for bars/restaurants, only voluntary ones. I think we'll be back to work next week. Pretty sure.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 16, 2020

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Disargeria posted:

making sure she gets paid $30 an hour to put things in bags.

Hey, gently caress you.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Maillard reaction. Mallard reaction is when you throw bread in a pond and the ducks go apeshit.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It is absolutely weird for someone to ask for an extra creamy piña colada, there’s no cream in there in the first place.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
At my last place I waited on Colin Mochrie, who was being taken out to dinner by the owners of a nearby comedy club. Lovely guy.

At my current place we had Donald Glover in along with his brother and some of the other people working on season 3 of Atlanta. He seemed cool, kept to himself. We've had Joel McHale in three times over the past couple months, he's in town filming something and he loving loves our place. Great guy, generous and fun. Politely declined taking a shot with someone who recognized him, which I respect.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

FishBowlRobot posted:

Well...

- Allegedly the owners (a couple who live together) got into a physical altercation at the restaurant yesterday. Not the first time it’s happened, according to others.
- My fellow sushi chef told me she borrowed money from our tip jar to pay her drug dealer.
- Someone signed our Pride flag with “free Palestine.”

Ya know, restaurant things.

may I ask how "free Palestine" is on the same level for you as the owners physically fighting each other or someone stealing tips

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Or you just get a couple masking tape dispensers. Clean edges every time, plus they're too awkward to move around so the tape is always in the same place.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Except stretching out a line of tape on the table let's you write all your labels in one go and is much faster, and not some weird pompous chef thing like you're implying

I'm actually gonna call your bluff, based on you seeming to catch a stray here about "weird pompous chef" stuff. There is absolutely no way that writing "CREME FRAICHE 7/2 [your initials]" six times on one contiguous piece of tape is faster than writing it on six individually-sized pieces of tape.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

whos that broooown posted:

It is if you don't bother writing your initials on it, why the gently caress would you do that

lol we don't do that at my place because we're real small but in bigger places it's so you know who to blame when a prep item is hosed up

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

It would also be faster if each person in the factory built an entire car themselves, I bet

what does this mean

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What the gently caress do you accomplish by berating people for having worked unpaid stages in the past? How on earth are they the ones at fault?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cool, man. Did I say anything that even sounded like that, though? I don’t think I did. Are you confusing me for someone else?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sure, that’s reasonable, but you guys know the victims of an unethical system aren’t the ones responsible for perpetrating it, right? Having to put up with some bullshit in order to get by doesn’t make you a bad person. Sure, given the choice, you should work with good people who don’t profit off unpaid labor, but sometimes you gotta make rent.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Maestro posted:

No way, I’m on your side. I was a goober and looked at OP’s post history

oh, nice. maybe if we all join hands and wish with all our might we can make droll find something else to do than pick fights in this thread, again

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I felt like Significant Gnawings jumped out at me a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Good of you to scold the person reporting someone else having been physically injured for doing something dumb years ago.