Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Mine is honestly fine. Pretty good exactly because 98% of decks run nothing but monsters and things that fetch monsters. Pulling players kicking and screaming into playing any cards other than their combo pieces is definitely more interesting than doing nothing but picking the correct 2 handtraps for the format.

That all being said, I am just a fan of alternate wincon decks in the first place (new burn staples when).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

nah it's pretty funny actually

Alternate answer: so you're saying konami should print actual mill support

Watch them print new runick and it becomes busted overnight.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Regarding Ash, it's actually basically useless in the current format.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If Maxx C just read ”If your opponent summons thrice, draw 2" everyone would still play it, because pot of greed is a very good card.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, if you think Maxx C is fine specifically because it counters decks that special summon more than an arbitrary number... (for reference, a mid-but-consistent swordsoul board of baronne chixiao blackout gives FIVE draws) ... is that those decks can and always run Maxx C too. Giving actual good and consistent decks free draws is way scarier than giving them to whatever decks you're on, and Every Deck Special Summons unless you are specifically on like... Floo, Pachy Stun, True Draco, or Burn.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious what the counterplay to Maxx C supposedly is other than having Ash/called by in your opener. Try to telepathically sus out whether they're on a good deck that will kill you if you give them cards or a bad one that will set 3 pass? So long as you aren't playing Maxx C in situations where it does nothing (chain it to duality lol), it's always optimal to use it, minimal brain required.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Fair Maxx C already exists and it is called Triple Tactics Talent. (30 UR points or $60 real life points)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Forget Maxx C and Mystic Mine. The final boss of the Abyss storyline is here and goddamn it’s a doozy.

https://ygorganization.com/forbiddenesotericaofdogmatika/

Pretty good text, but I can't help but be doubtful it'll be good enough to justify play as a ritual monster when dogmatika already doesn't get run anymore? (good in MD for sure)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sprights issue is that it was made too good. That's also Tear's issue. Stop banning even more cards from old decks.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
MD is very pretty, but it definitely doesn't really have much staying power to keep you playing once the easy gems run low. Basically just grinding ranked and then grinding the limited-time events that aren't very good. N/R at least was pretty nice because it was a very different format that you could easily build new decks for.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 30, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
In formats like these, every flavor of stun deck comes out of hibernation. Nature is healing.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
MD banlists continue to be unhinged, lmao.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just play speed duels (paper duel links format), decks are a fraction of the cost and it's infinitely more fun than tearshizu.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If a card specifies that something must be "sent to the GY" it cannot be activated under shifter, but cards that say "discard" can.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Alright, I honestly kind of realized that in the middle of typing that question up.

Here’s another: I had a Utopia Dragonar that was equipped with ZW - Tornado Bringer, which specifically says “While this card is equipped to a monster, your opponent cannot target that monster with card effects”… but my opponent was still able to target the Dragonar and negate it’s effects with Forbidden Droplet. I can get not being able to activate cards of the same type as the discarded in response, but shouldn’t the ZW’s passive effect preventing targeting still be in effect? Or is it still treated as an “activated” effect?

As the above poster said, droplet doesn't target. Konami is pretty precise about their language nowadays, so if a card doesn't specifically say "target" and instead is something like "choose" or "select" then it isn't considered to be a targeted effect.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Pendulum magician ftk is pretty consistent compared to others, the vaylantz field spells and beyond the pendulum give some new options for extension, though I'm still trying to figure out an "optimal" list that isn't just adding bricks.

As far as playing against it goes, electrumite (or a starving venom that has copied electrumite) is always a good target for ash/veiler/imperm, beyond the pendulum can be crippling, as it locks you out of effects until you pendulum summon. Hitting cards that are trying to pop a scale can be crippling if you stop them from summoning level 4s.

The ftk endboard requires 4 dark pendulum monsters and either 2 bodies for verte or having drawn instant fusion. Be mindful that verte has another effect that lets you turn a monster into a dark.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If you are mad about floo activating dreaming town you will not be able to play tear format.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Floo doesn't need a(nother) hit in the first place. Without statue it's literally just empen/raiza/apex and if your deck can't play through empen and 1 disruption more often than not, it sucks.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 22, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Empen is mystic mine if mystic mine was a vastly weaker floodgate on a vastly more vulnerable card in a deck that has to play an entire archetype to support it.

Flair posted:

Nonetheless, Konami has the analytics; I would hope they know what to hit or buff.

When halq was legal, Konami decided the actual problem card was [every good tuner] and the only reason halq got eventually hit was because splight was good and new and they don't hit good and new archetypes.

Konami does not know what to hit or buff (lol "gossip shadow is the problem card")

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 23, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Post custom cards :justpost:

quote:

Stardust Spark / Counter Trap
If your opponent activates a monster effect, or Summons a monster: Discard 1 card; Negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy it, then, immediately after this effect resolves, you can Synchro Summon by banishing monsters you control, or that are in your hand or the GYs as material. You can banish this card from your GY; immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon "Stardust Dragon" by banishing monsters from the GYs as material. If you Synchro Summon by an effect of this card, you can treat 1 Non-Tuner monster as a Tuner instead.

quote:

Herald of the Unchained Soul
Level 8 DARK Fiend / Effect
0 ATK / 0 DEF
You can Special Summon this card (from your Deck) while you are searching your Deck, by destroying 2 cards in your hand and/or field. If an "Unchained" card was sent to the GY in order to Summon this card: You can target 1 card on the field; It cannot be activated, also negate its effects. If this card on the field is destroyed, or an "Unchained" card you control is destroyed while this card is in the GY: You can shuffle 2 cards from your GY into your Deck, including this card, then Reveal the top card of your Deck; Set it directly to your field. You can only Special Summon "Herald of the Unchained Soul" once per turn, and you can only use each of its effects once per turn.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 23, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Unlimited macro + D fissure are gonna go hard when tear hits MD

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Just like in the TCG, right?

Nah they're waaay better in Bo1.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
People forget that for a long time, yugioh sucked total rear end. The problem isn't OTKs, it's Konami printing increasingly generic power cards, and their lovely banlists.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Goat format is the format for people who like staples because half of every single deck is the same core of spells.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Skeleton Mom posted:

things have not changed much. 3 maxx c, 3 ash blossom, 2 called by the grave

Nah hand traps (except Maxx C because that's banned as hell for good reason in TCG) are something that depends entirely on the format and your deck. The ones that see really see play right now are the bystials (which are honestly probably gonna get hit). You ALWAYS run pot of greed confiscation etc if they're legal.

E: basically, if every deck that can conceivably play a card is made better without reservation by that card, and every deck CAN play it (pot of greed, graceful charity, accesscode talker, trap dustchute, maxx "C", etc) it makes the game worse because what are you going to do, choose NOT to play it and cripple your deck? No real deckbuilding decisions necessary for those slots. With other handtraps, you switch them up to hit certain decks or to be able to synergize with specific ones, or choose to play different types of cards entirely because your game plan is to break boards.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 30, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

They were clearly talking about master duel, where maxx c and ash are pretty heavily played

They were extrapolating how master duel is to all of yugioh, and the fact is, in every locals and official event that isn't either in Japan or a very specific side event, Maxx C is banned, and has been for a very long time.

E: ok that's maybe a bit hyperbolic, apologies, but master duel is a very small slice of how yugioh is played, and it truly is ONLY in master duel where ash/Maxx C/called by are so overwhelmingly centralized.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 30, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

MD has become everything for many of us, who can afford cardboard or covid at an event?

True, but most sim play still happens on the unofficial sims where all the cards are free: Omega or edopro or (lol) dueling book. There are also still remote play events, but less so nowadays.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Isn't worlds even more different and weird though, from having to combine two formats with different card pools and banlists like that

Anyway, I'm not saying they're handicapping themselves. Not playing decks that lose to Maxx C is smart. If anything, TCG players are handicapping themselves in MD by being so focused on the combo that one little buggy boy makes them flip the table. Konami US has allowed for that behaviour by banning Maxx C for them

Maxx C isn't some fair card that people just make a big stink about it because they're babies, lol. For decks that special summon (that is, 99% of them because the entire game revolves around monsters) the card may as well read "(Quick Effect): Discard this card; End your opponent's turn." It's an obscenely powerful handtrap whose only counterplay is to either hard draw a couple extremely specific cards (1 of which is limited in the TCG, semi-limited in the OCG) or to just stop playing your turn and hope you don't die because you couldn't do anything. Well, that or ignore it and let them draw 6 cards and then DEFINITELY die.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering, is there an archetype name for Ash Blossom and the similar “discard to negate opponent’s activated effect” cards (I.E. Snow, the one that negates a graveyard to field effect)? Just asking because it always seemed kinda random to me that she’s also a Tuner.

It's a sort of pseudo-archetype called Yokai Girls, level 3 tuner handtraps Ash, Ghost Belle, Ghost Ogre, etc. You're thinking of Ghost Belle & Haunted Mansion, Fairy Tail Snow is the busted gy banish to summon/book of moon infinitely card.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Yo-kai_Girl

also look at this rad as hell alt-art ghost ogre

Syenite fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 30, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Also it's likely balanced more around the Japanese playerbase, and the Japanese playerbase is just much better at playing around Maxx C to the point where it's not an instant win. The western playerbase complains a lot about Maxx C, but they also never actually try not being a huge target for it.

I don't get this kind of post. How exactly do you "play around" Maxx C and why is the Japanese Playerbase (:rolleyes:) supposedly so good at countering a card that punishes any amount of special summoning?

You can play around Nibiru by getting a monster negate up as a 5th summon, you can't exactly counteract "every time I special summon anything this turn they draw for free" except by just not playing the game because special summoning is THE integral mechanic of the entire game as it stands right now.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 3, 2023

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You play a deck that can achieve a reasonable endboard without too many summons. An obvious example would be Master Duel's current best deck in Despia, which only needs to special twice to set up Mirrorjade + Branded in Red.

Two summons is Pot of Greed, which is banned in OCG as well as TCG.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

If the new Time-Rending card ever caught on and everyone plays it, then hand trap meta will change. People will still pack maxx c though.

Nah, that card is not good. You lose out on ALL monster-in-hand effects permanently which is every handtrap except imperm and also engine stuff. For the cost of that, you get extra draws which don't start until your NEXT turn, and another normal, which most decks don't actually need.

It COULD be good in a lower power format for normal-focused decks, because there are fewer legal handtraps that you'd be giving up, so the drawback is less crippling, and the games last longer so you get more value.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

There are formats where hand traps are less useful. There are decks that don't play hand traps

Yes, I already mentioned lower-power formats, and even in the current tear format where you have a deck that can play through anything, you still really, really want D Shifter. And decks that don't play handtraps would certainly prefer to draw a Lightning Storm or Evenly Matched than a card that is basically just Double Summon that turn.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

Like Floo?

Once the card resolves, I imagine most meta deck would at least 1/3 bricked and some archtype that depends on hand effect will likely fold.

It doesn't lock your opponent, only you, if that's what this phrasing is implying. Also Floo definitely still runs hand traps, and if anything, desperately wants to finish games ASAP.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

On the plus side, Crusadia OTK is basically at full power. I can't believe they didn't ban kaijus.

Edit: \/\/\/ - we don't run that anyway, sooo... :v:

Crusadia does though? It's a board breaker that also lets you set up both sides of the field with large bodies, which is perfect for the deck.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The real best Xyz deck is r4nk zoodiac, make 8 mat Zeus with going 2nd staples and stuff like Xyz import and lost wind.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see a spright player in this godforsaken event I will maindeck another floodgate.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Konami kneecapping a brand new archetype that is still fresh on b&m shelves is so wild to me. Do they suddenly not want to sell more Amazing Defenders?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Konami doing this death-by-a-thousand-hits murder of Floo is the stupidest poo poo. Either kill the deck like you're clearly trying to or let it exist in peace considering it hasn't been a problem since statue was banned.

Also of course, the casual 87.8% Maxx C usage rate is A-OK! :cheers:

Syenite fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If you don't like the current format, and you don't like the alternate formats, you aren't willing to LEARN to play them, and other card games aren't an option for you.... I'm legitimately unsure what IS for you. Netrunner is hella cool, not gacha, and has a (largely) automated sim, maybe try that?
https://www.jinteki.net/

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2023