Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been marathoning martial arts movies the past month or so - first Bruce Lee, then Jackie Chan, and now I've found my way to finally exploring the Shaw Brothers catalog, which I previously had almost no exposure to.

so far I've seen:

Come Drink With Me
The One-Armed Swordsman
Five Fingers of Death
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Shaolin Mantis
My Young Auntie

what are some other can't-miss ones? i've got Eight Diagram Pole Fighter on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thank you for all of these recommendations 🥋

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

If any of you are readers or like listening to audio books, I have to give a strong shout-out to The Last Action Heroes: The Triumphs, Flops, and Feuds of Hollywood's Kings of Carnage by Nick de Semlyen.

It follows the early lives and careers of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Seagal, and Bruce Willis. Thread regulars have probably seen all of the movies covered (there's a couple of Norris movies I haven't seen). The portrayals are human and doesn't shy away from their infedelities, failures, as well as the xenophobic, facist or other problematic ideas their films portray. But it also shares the cultural phenomenom these guys created with their personas, the joy of watching their films, and how most of them are charming guys despite everything.

The audiobook is read by Bronson Pinchot, and he does a great job.

I heard about it from The Action Boyz podcast, and it's been one of my favorite reads of the year. If it doesn't give you any new movies, it'll excite you to rewatch one of your favorites.

I have this out from the library right now, very stoked to read it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

baseball boy and hammer girl are obviously, objectively sick

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ynohtna posted:

A world without gimmick fighters? No thank you.

i've been going thru tons of Shaw Bros/Golden Harvest movies and that's like at least 70% of those movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's some good ones in the Lone Wolf and Cub series too. I particularly liked the woman assassin who specialized in the throwing daggers, she would toss one up in the air and then as the opponent was focusing on that dagger she would leap up in the air and throw another dagger right in their grill. Pretty cool.

i'm due for a rewatch of those, i just started rereading the manga from the beginning. super sick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The first one only works thanks to Mickey Rourke's growling/drunken monologue in the middle. It pulls a not very good film together and gives it a heart and weight it hasn't really earned. The last shootout is pretty good. The second one is far too self aware without doing anything with it and is still pretty amateurishly made. The third one just sucks out loud.

i only saw the first one recently and i did enjoy Mickey Rourke and Sly Stallone having a mumble off where i had no idea what the gently caress either one of them was saying

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

no Drowning Pool needledrop, no sale

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

The opening scene of JCVD (2008) makes fun of this. Which is crazy because it's still a problem.

i only caught up with this movie recently when i marathoned like 30 Van Damme movies and i think this became one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the novelty of having Eric Bogosian in the Alan Rickman role is what makes Under Siege 2 for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Under Siege is fun, and without it we probably wouldn't have The Fugitive as we know it (Harrison Ford was impressed enough with it that he recommended Andrew Davis as director, and Davis in turn brought Tommy Lee Jones on board)

edit: oh hey, forgot Davis did Above The Law too, i remember that being probably the best Seagal vehicle

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

well why not posted:

Stallone isn’t funny, neither is Seagal, at least not intentionally. The best action stars can do comedy. That’s why Arnold is the king. He’s funnier than his peers. Just is.

I did a mini-Stalloneathon recently and while he is often quite bad including at comedy (watching him try and keep up in a one-liner-off with Kurt Russel in Tango & Cash is painful), his comic timing in the first Rocky movie is legit great. All the bits where he's super awkward while being interviewed on TV are hilarious.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dokmo posted:

Arnold saying "talk to the hand" is the least funny thing that has ever appeared in a movie

true but Arnold saying "I have to take a major leak (perfect Arabic)" is the funniest thing to ever happen in a movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Warm take: Seagal was never good

i like both Under Siege movies and definitely watched a lot of Seagal when i was younger but yeah pretty much.

i think my favorite as a kid was Marked for Death, the one where he fights Jamaican drug lords and i am terrified to revisit it and see just how racist it is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goldeneye is too obsessed with being a post-Cold War movie to feel '80s. Plus the "safe sex" jokes. '90s as hell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's bizarre how often Bricklayer/Beekeeper situations seem to come up in Hollywood. It's like the Deep Impact/Armageddon situation, or Volcano/Dante's Peak, it seems like once or twice every decade you'll have the same premise made into two separate movies in the same year.

it's always fun to try and figure out which screenwriter stole the other one's idea

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huojis posted:

Your post made me go and watch Soldier for the first time, and I think you may be on to something. I mean, it's mostly a very 90s movie, aesthetically at least, but final act was about as 80s as it gets. Kurt Russell's character is loading up his fully automatic weapons one by one, and then looks at the camera and goes "I'm going to kill them all.", followed by him emerging from the shadows and stabbing bad guys, and emerging from water, blasting a machine gun. Then again I wonder if by 1998 stuff like this was already considered a deliberate action movies of the past. Oh well, I enjoyed the movie. I'm a total Kurt Russell-fanboy, and I really liked the art design. Reminded me of the early Command & Conquer-games.

I noticed that Death Wish 2, 3, and 4 are up on Prime here in Finland. Are those movies worth my time? I'm not necessarily looking for technically spectacular action set pieces, but rather something that makes me feel like a little kid running around in the backyard with my friends. For example, I watched Missing in Action last weekend and fully enjoyed it.

Death Wish 2 is exceedingly grim and nasty so I wouldn't recommend it for a good time, but 3 is absolutely insane.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Was it shot digitally? I saw a 35mm showing of Oppenheimer and they had a 35mm trailer of the holdovers. Seems weird they converted it to film, and incredibly pricy but idk

they def printed The Holdovers on 35mm anyway, that's how I saw it.

the movie theater i saw it at is also the movie theater they filmed the movie theater scenes at which was fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

best action movie long take is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyl_CnTNMI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tony all the way, big time.

I think Man on Fire might be my favorite of his but it's tough to narrow it down. The Hunger is way up there too. For someone with so many directorial tics, he really had range.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just rewatched Mean Streets and i scanned to see if that fight scene was in there and sure enough it is. pretty good list, though not enough kung fu.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just caught a big screen screening of Street Fighter and it was the first time i noticed Benny the Jet's in that too.

Road House rules, for a long time based on its reputation i thought it'd be ironically good or so-bad-it's-good but it's actually just genuinely good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I met Urquidez a few years back. Got to do a kickboxing seminar with him and he is a remarkable dude. The closest thing you get to actually meeting Yoda.

that's awesome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flesh + Blood is good but it's definitely extremely confrontational, extremely graphic, not for everyone, and not really an action movie. It's much closer to Benedetta than anything else he's made I think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It feels like it's a direct challenge to noble knights and Arthurian chivalry and all that stuff.

Yeah it’s been a while since I watched it (and like others here, I haven’t been in a hurry to rewatch it due to its pretty horrifying content*), but that’s basically my take as well. It’s a gross, grimy portrayal of what knights were actually like set against the apocalyptic backdrop of the black death. In the sense that some movies are revisionist westerns or revisionist samurai movies, it’s a revisionist knight film.

*though I will say, not uniquely horrifying for Verhoeven. Spetters, Hollow Man, Elle, Basic Instinct, Benedetta, and even Showgirls feature graphic scenes of rape and/or sexual torture. Showgirls is the one that I think arguably harms the movie the most, being that it’s otherwise a campy good time before an extremely violent and brutal rape comes out of nowhere, but I also think that was in part deliberate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dokmo posted:

I'm the one person who liked raid 2 more than the first, because I think the fights are better, it has a cool Bruce law car chase, and has a plot.

nah i'm with you, i think the plot turned some people off and i get that 2.5 hours is very long for this kind of movie (although hey, people liked that last John Wick and it was even longer) but i thought it was all very well done. great looking movie, too.

The Night Comes For Us was a fun pseudo-Raid 3 but I did not think the action in it lived up to the Raid movies (high bar, I know)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Tom Hardy is a very solid actor but I don't think he's good enough for the reputation he has. Like, when Michael Jordan was a dick his teammates were like ok this is the price we pay for greatness. If you're gonna be that guy you better be the best at what you do.

hey now, find me someone else who can do a silly voice like that man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

didn't Charlize Theron say she wouldn't work with him again under any circumstances after Fury Road