Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Ross from Friends is such a lovely entitled Nice Guy™ stereotype that it's amazing audiences were ever expected to sympathize with him.

He and Rachel are perfect for eah other, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

Good news - she did find herself a man! K Callan later played Ma Kent on the 90s Lois and Clark TV show.

We have no evidence that Ma and Pa Kent are anything other than a marriage of convenience between two friends in rural Kansas. I say their marriage is a sham and taught Superman the skills he needed to keep his real identity safely in the phonebooth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I carpooled to school for a year and the only thing the driver would listen to was Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Rent. When Rent is unambiguously the worst of those three boy howdy do you have a poo poo musical.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

So basically, the 'Everyone has AIDS' song from Team America is the best thing to come out of Rent?

The fact that everyone in Rent doesnt have aids is a mark against it, honestly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you ever need to lose all respect for Alan Moore in a hurry just peruse a summary of "Lost Girls". Actually physically holding and reading it rends you insane so dont do that.

Not a specific negative but its the only book i know of where a gay man rapes a straight man using only his butt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That might well be the stupidest, gooniest summary I've ever read. Embarrassing.

Ignoring how one feels about odd dialog choices or non-standard sexual behavoirs, the actual conceit and content of Lost Girls serves no interesting purpose and reads like a totemic tijuana bible. Reinterpreting a work like Wizard of Oz as an all you can handle fuckfest both reveals no new interesting areas of exploration when discussing the work since its based on literally nothing within the text but also actively diminishes a work with a female lead.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Aug 20, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I was out sick a week or two ago, and I started watching old episodes of MXC on YouTube. A few days ago I watched the college episode (with special guest team captain Tony Hawk), and my God did that episode have so many "homo says what?" jokes.

Yes, and there are various entire episodes and individual bite like that mixed in so its not just that episode. Still love the concept and would watch a new version in a heartbeat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I've never seen it but I heartell the plan was to have the main character become, like, a digital actress who would appear in different movies. I really oughta watch it, it sounds nuts.

Steve Buscemi and James Woods are both in it acting like christmas hams and a bonus feature is the whole cast doing the thriller dance.

Its also not the first pioneer of "Digital Actress" which goes to the game series D.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Mighty Max

The ending of that show surprised me in so far as a) a serialized program intended to sell boy versions of polly pocket had an ending and b) it killed just about everyone and the "positive" part of the ending was Max could sacrifice finally getting home in exchange for reliving every adventure he had ever been on to try and not get everyone killed on his second attempt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please dont overlook that in American Beauty he gets a severance package worth $60,000 when he gets fired, about $90,000 today.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Friends is very progressive in that it shows a borderline mentally retarded man can still be a rich actor and pull mad pussy

That was the spin-off, Joey. He's still a d-lister at best by the end of Friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

He co-starred with an academy award winning actor in a big ww1 movie in universe
Also yes Ross is a gross monster and Rachel should ended up with Joey, they had way more in common and Joey never belittled her and Rachel actually cared about Joey's career and interests

Thats in season 7. There are 10 seasons and in later ones he's doing odd jobs again and admitting acting has dried up for him while he slums it. Hell even when he gets his role back as Dr. Drake Remoray in Joey its revealed he lost that job too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

80% of adults 35 and under report having at least one "geeky" hobby so yeah, its just mainstream culture now, sorry.

Big Bang is still on TV because my spouse fuckin loves it. Please feel free to blame them for all other trash on network television because I guarantee they fuckin love it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Back in the mid 00s VH1 used to air these shows about how extravagantly celebrities lived and the ridiculous things they bought. I can't see something like that airing today and not causing some riots.

Those shows are now on YouTube and the people who make them make loving millions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I hear what you’re saying, but I think the scale of gifting a whole planet makes it different.

The planet was fine, it was the transporter mix up with the blankets that was a problem.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I bought it on DVD because I had decent memories of the random episodes that were taped by my dad before I was born. Man that was a waste of money.

This is the only thing you need to watch involving the DnD cartoon. It also doubles as the only possible accurate movie version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Their actors are still around, it’s not like they’re dissolving into the aether or anything.

Sadly, Thanos was executive producer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I was talking about in BvS.

Last Id heard the original pitch Snyder made was he would stay dead till the third film but WB refused after BvS delivered below what they wanted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And then when something goes wrong it inevitably harms O'Brien in some way. I'm shocked the poor dude never snapped or quit his job but he just kept on truckin'.

Every shift worked is a shift not with Keiko

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

O'Brien would have got them home inside a season and a half.

What and get back to Keiko? No hes the reason they were lost so long

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volcott posted:

When will the Seinfelds finally pay for their many crimes?

Whenever he gets side swipped while getting coffee in his car

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

George Costanza apparently reformed after his year in prison and later developed a popular app.

GEORGE IS GETTIN REHABILITATED!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Never saw the Darkwing Duck one, but the Gargoyles one stuck with me—specifically, what happened to Broadway. :gonk: Also, I don't really remember the TMNT one, but I do remember that it gave me nightmares.

Batman: TAS also had that amazing episode where Bruce wakes up and it turns out he's not Batman, he's engaged to Selena, his parents are still alive, etc. The horrifying perfection starts to drive him mad, but just as he's starting to accept this life, he starts noticing weird things like books with garbled text, and that pushes him over the edge. He hunts down Batman, unmasks him, and finds out he's living in a utopian artificial reality constructed for him by The Mad Hatter. Which he then breaks out of by leaping off a building to his death. When you're like 10 years old, and not used to being challenged by the media you consume, that poo poo is absolutely mind-blowing. I need to watch that again and see how it's held up.

Similarly the Batman Beyond episode where he knows the voices in his head arent real because he doesnt call himself Bruce Wayne.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

You'd think they would have figured it out by now and licensed it for not only airing, but also home copies/streaming when they originally get the license. I'm assuming it's a money issue.

This costs a bunch, bunch more, and when youre working on a show with no idea if itll succeed or fail spending a bunch more money now to make a better viewing experience later after the show ends, possibly in formats that dont exist now, is crazy.

Luckily streaming video is most peoples DVDs now so no issue

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Death's Head Revisited, where the former commandant of Dachau goes back to the camp and is judged by all the people he killed is amazing and one of the best episodes of TZ. Also holy poo poo that was made less than 20 years after WWII, it's like the opposite of aging poorly

Conversely two episodes later is a goddamn Honrable Confederacy apologia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently he's quite the character..... actor.

The dentist chair in his house should have clued everyone in if his music album didnt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah hes a realtor in LA and is portrayed as very successful but not number one, with multiple episodes hinging on him selling luxury homs, which if you think about him making around a 5% commission per house sale is pretty darn good living.

Show should have ended ages ago but its not offensive just sort of simpsons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given San Francisco pricing all of those people including the kids working jobs could not afford that place

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Then he moved to california to dodge charges.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pookah posted:

I never really intentionally watched Friends but I've seen a lot of episodes because it is, and was pretty much unavoidable for the last 10? 20? years, and and thing I remember noticing is that Ross was apparently the Golden Child growing up and Monica the disappointment, and that this dynamic is both maintained and flipped in how they behave as adults. Ross has a lingering, and largely unjustified air of superiority about his intelligence, and Monica is regularly embarassed about her jobs which aren't as well-paid or stable as her brother's . But while she's a neat-freak, and pretty uptight, she's still a lot more likeable than Ross, who is a whiny turd.

Rachel makes Chandler drain his entire life savings to pay for the wedding. Theyre both awful people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Every minority has another minority they like to poo poo on. It's hosed up.

Sounds like something a Cagot would say. Or wouldnt say, Im not totally sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Blackish, Arrested Development, King of the Hill.

My partner and I loved Blackish and then that plot about divorce happened and RIP Blackish we've never watched it again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, I hated that but it recovered nicely imo

Its one of those we'll never know thing because it killed the show dead for us, which is a huge shame cause my spouse really dug how it helped them better understand african-american culture. On the other hand now they don't have wait for me to explain why I'm laughing at something the show they didn't explain yet/references they don't get.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will always hate scrubs because a roomate I had in college would pass out to their dvd of scrubs and when it ended it would loop approximately six seconds of the themesong (basically just "oooWOOOOooo, Im no superman") and it would without fail cause me to wake up early because my brain was like "you are no longer too sleepy to deal with this noise that has been looping for god knows how long, shut it off" and I couldnt because theyd have locked their bedroom door and be so deep asleep literal slamming on the door wouldnt rouse them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

Think they are ashamed of that since so similar jokes over at RiffTrax got removed from later versions of the downloads

The film Laser Mission specifically where that got noticed, but they may have done it other places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ready to Rumble was an extremely stupid film I remember two things about and yet recall fondly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like in the speed yugioh format you get abilities you can activate any time in the duel and picking Yugi as your person gives you "draw whatever card you want from your deck" which I think is a good admission about how much bullshit yugi has going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is Spinal tap just kind of trails off, so you have this powerful opening with things like what is still one of my favorite jokes about the review of "Shark Sandwich" but around the 1/2 to 2/3rds mark into the film there just aren't anymore jokes and then it ends.

Princes Bride remains good, and the books wonderful too if you've not read it.