Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What we basically need is someone to redo the Walk of Life Project but with All Star instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hating on Street Sharks?

That is so not jawsome.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I nominate "The Big Bang Theory" but that's more a 2010's thing.

I do not get the appeal and popularity of that show at all.

"Two and a Half Men" is another one.

Stupid garbage.

The Big Bang Theory is still ongoing though, it's still big and fresh in people's minds. So much so that it's getting a spin-off show (that's probably going to flop).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oh man, Space Cases. I loved that when I was younger. It's cool to hear it holds up. I may have to try re-watching some of it sometime.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The greatest Captain Planet stuff is always going to be the Belfast segments of "If It's Doomsday, This Must Be Belfast" but it hasn't aged badly because it was ludicrous when it originally aired.

The greatest Captain Planet thing is when Hitler proved to be SO EVIL that Captain Planet was weakened just from being in his presence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__ztikjTok

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ariong posted:

Why does Hitler have a Fu Manchu? Is this a case where they wanted to talk to kids about how evil he was, but they weren't allowed to have him in the show proper, so they had to have Captain Planet fighting Aholf Ditler?

EDIT: They did do a pretty good job of making him look evil without making him look like a literal monster.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever refer to him by name. I think the closest they come is calling him The Fuhrer.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Has anyone mentioned that simpsons episode where Bart's in a boy band?

Where the climax of the episode is that, as well as being exposed for using auto-tune, Mad Magazine are lampooning them, which means they're ruined, so their manager commandeers a naval carrier to blow up the headquarters in New York City.

Guest starring N'Sync.

Yvan eht nioj. :smuggo:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Riptor posted:

Yeah it contains basically an exact description of Google Earth but was written in what, 1992?

Second Life, too. That's basically what the Metaverse is.

Hell, the gargoyle stuff is basically Google Glass.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Super Eyepatch Wolf did a pretty good video on what exactly happened to the Simpsons and why it started going downhill in the first place, and what made it so special to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The newest one was a sequel to the Halloween one, wasn't it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The funniest censored song I've ever heard was gently caress Forever by Babyshambles because the chorus is just "gently caress Foreveeeeeeer!" and taking out the gently caress just left this awkward gaping pause that put the whole thing out of wack. The main reason this is funny to me is because late in the song Pete repeats the line "They will never play this on the radio" a few times because I'm pretty sure the band just assumed that no one would be stupid enough to make a clean version of a song that literally has profanity in the title.

I was surprised as hell when I found out that CeeLo Green's Forget You was censored for the radio because of that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

At least one of them went on to create the same show for the WB and made it darker, which at least made some twisted sort of sense and explains why that show hasn't been seen for nearly twenty years.

I had completely forgotten about Unhappily After After.

I haven't watched that show in drat near twenty years ( :v: ) but I'm certain it hasn't aged well at all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:aaaaa:

How the gently caress was this a thing?! 5 seasons, 100 episodes!

Just imagine, 100 episodes of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3jksgr_V0

:suicide:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Basically this, yeah. She became the breakout character pretty early (for obvious reasons), and the show shifted it's focus to be more about her.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I thought he showed up to harass Step By Step, not Full House

Probably both? TGIF did crossover stuff fairly frequently, and Steve Urkel was stupidly popular for a while there.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

John Goodman is amazing and his best role is as Pops Racer in Speed Racer. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiCzTGRqCQ4

:colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember hating how stupid Ash was. It was so bad I couldn't really enjoy the show. Electricity doesn't work against rocks Ash its obvious before the fight even started!

Actually electric does work on rocks. It's ground types it doesn't affect, which the anime screwed up for that episode. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

He didn't even start properly winning fights until Orange Islands. Most of his badges were earned through favours performed for the Gym leaders, to be fair saving them and their pokemon more often than not, but it was still cheap.

He technically beat Misty (she was on the ropes when Team Rocket showed up), he beat Surge, he beat Koga and his trainee, he beat Blaine, and he beat Team Rocket while they were running the gym.

The only badges he got for free were Brock, Erika, and Sabrina.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Red Metal posted:

omanyte, kabuto, aerodactyl

Which, funny enough, are all weak to Electric.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

No Pokémon learn HM moves naturally

At least in the older ones.

Seaking learned Waterfall in Gen I, which became an HM in Gen II. Close enough. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

The last good movie Seth Rogen was in was Donnie Darko.

Seth Rogan wasn't in Donnie Darko...

*googles*

Wait, what. How have I never caught that. :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

Man, Ferris Bueller is possibly my all-time favorite movie but some of John Hughes' stuff has aged terribly. The 80s didn't age well to start with and Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink were trash from day one. I remember not particularly liking either growing up, so it's not a New Cool Goon Opinion either. I'm sure it was tainted by my constant yelling of "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING A REDHEAD IN PINK WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" much like I did to Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

...what's wrong with putting a redhead in pink?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

I'm the honkiest-rear end cracker that ever was and for years I did not understand that Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg are different people, thanks for reading

I lost a bet over this and had to buy dinner for two of my friends.

For future reference, The Social Network did NOT star Michael Cera. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man, those old Tripods books did that too - they had a TV show with subliminal messaging to make children want to be ruled over by alien spaceships.

Oh man, I used to love those books. I wonder if they hold up?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Volcott posted:

We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange.

And...!

Um...

Err...

Door...hinge...?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Arivia posted:

Buy Nendoroids instead. Way cuter, more options, super high quality. Less variety (anime-focused) and more expensive though.

More options? Psh.

Call me when I can get a line of Golden Girls Nendoroids for my desk. :smuggo:

Len posted:

Yeah the thing about Pops are I can be at the store and go "oh hey a little David Bowie with crotch bulge for my desk. $10? Sure why not" and it's a nice impulse buy price. Nendroids look to be significantly more than that and most stores don't have a wall of them.

This, basically. I keep hearing 'oh just get Nendoroids instead!' when I tell people I've got a small Pop collection, but they're two completely different types of figure lines aimed at two different kinds of collectors. They're not really comparable to each other, other than both being small figures of popular characters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wrestling viewers have mostly changed from angry right wing hicks to left-ish cultist internet nerds in the last 15 years or so, it’s been an interesting transition

And along those same lines, the wrestlers themselves have changed from stereotypical jocks, 'alpha males', and the like, into, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ine-ZApwF8

A bunch of nerds and geeks.

It's great. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

business hammocks posted:

The Learning Channel

The History Channel

A&E

The Sci Fi Channel

USA

All cable channels tend toward entropy as they chase larger numbers by watering down whatever their original niche was.

The opposite has only happened the one time when TNN discovered that Dukes of Hazard was their highest rated show and pivoted to being purely 70s-80s pop culture trash overnight.

Also the Discovery Channel subchannel that was supposed to be about living green turned into a true crime channel by means of a similar process.

G4. :allears:

Going from a channel based on video game related shows to 'nothing but COPS and Star Trek re-runs' was a weird outcome that I didn't see coming.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but I was rewatching some DVDs of The Norm Show, the '90s Norm sitcom and it's aged pretty well aside from an alarming amount of gay panic

I can't remember a single thing about The Norm Show other than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6lPaxhWeA

:psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

datajugend posted:

family guy and the simpsons, pretty rapey

Quagmire is such a disgusting character and the whole ‘lets rape Marge because the Simpsons made fun of us’ thing is so incredibly petty and childish. I can’t believe that bit doesn’t get edited out of reruns.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Bob's Burgers works (mostly) because most of the songs consist of dumb little things the characters like to sing to themselves in-character or incidental background music, with the occasional brief dream sequence. The actual musical bits are still usually not good.

Bad Things Happen in the Bathroom is great stuff though. :colbert:

https://youtu.be/xDiuSwrRQ4M

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point. When you really stop and think about how many supporting characters there are in popular shows that are really well liked, it's surprising there's not more of them. There's always some TV exec looking to cash in and wondering what "the kids these days are into" or how to otherwise milk the ever loving poo poo out of a hot property that you'd almost expect a Ned Flanders or Moe's Tavern sitcom. Sometimes they get it right like "Better Call Saul" and after thinking about it seems like there's actually more hits than misses.

The fact that Family Guy somehow managed a multi-season spin-off and yet they never tried with the Simpsons is baffling.

One would think Fox would have tried to push through a spin-off at the height of Simpsons-mania.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Musicedge2/status/1058556240152985600

Early Yugioh is hardcore.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Evangelion is famous in that the last half of the show ran out of money so they had to do what they could with the very little cash they had on hand. It’s a good show but no one praises it for the animation as they just didn’t have the budget for it.

They make up for it with the movie, though. End of Evangelion has some absolutely beautifully done scenes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ron Swanson became less entertaining when assholes on social media began lifting him up as their Libertarian Jesus.

Every time I see some kind of snarky anti-government meme with his face attached to it, I just kind of sigh to myself and frown. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Y'all are forgetting the best Western game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSfmVvHg8k

Also like, most of the Wild Arms series probably counts, even if most of the games in the franchise are kind of hit or miss.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Oh, hey, the only other person on Earth who played Rising Zan, how are you?

I'm doing okay, how's life treating you?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

At the very least watch "Joe Pera Reads You the Church Announcements" which has probably the best use of Baba O'Riley on a TV show.
I'm hella late to this conversation, but I just watched this and it's one of the purest things I think I've ever seen. :3:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Harry Potter is ripped of real hard from Jane Yolen's "Wizard's Hall," which is a shame because the latter is a much, much better book.
Holy poo poo I have spent years trying to remember the name of this book with no success. :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Me, after catching up on this thread: "I wonder if that weird Nickelodeon ripoff of Star Trek Voyager has aged well or not? Let's look up the intro..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqVIB556rHk

Me, after watching that video: "Yeah I don't think s-WAIT IS THE BLACK POWER RANGER?!"

I must have been a dumbass as a kid to not recognize him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Was Highlander: The Raven any good? I remember seeing commercials all the time for it when I was a kid but I never got around to actually watching it.