Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I liked the Telltale Joker, or at least the version I got and the ending where ]Bruce visits him in Arkham to keep him company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

I just watched an episode of Columbo which was great up until the last 60 seconds when he reveals he planted some evidence to coerce a confession. Pretty sure we were supposed to cheer that along in 1972 but now, not so much. ACAB, Lieutenant

OTOH this being Columbo the perp was probably rich so uh.

Letthemfight.gif?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

To be fair responding to winning the lottery by finishing schooling is and getting a job is way better than most people. And I'm gonna assume/hope he uses the lottery money so he can live comfortably doing a low risk welding job as opposed to working in the gas fields or on a rig which is the jobs that super murder you.

I'm reasonably sure the people doing lower pay jobs for tradies and repair shops in towns/cities/suburbs aren't in that much danger.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I always get weirded out by the impulse to disparage the work of artists who are also monstrous pieces of poo poo.

Cause it carries the unsaid that if you liked their work you'd forgive them.

Polanski was a fantastic director.

It also would 100% be a better world if he'd been home for the Mansons to kill.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like Monstrous Regiment is better than it gets credit for. It's not my favourite (probably Fifth Elephant or again Night Watch) but it'd be in my top five.

Edit: Night Watch > Reaper Man > Fifth Elephant > Monstrous Regiment

A Sometimes Food has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 28, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

They should all end like that last day in Goodfellas.

Desert Bus posted:

Or like Sienfeld where they all end up in jail.

Nah.

Like Blackadder.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zombies are too fundamentally useful as a video game enemy to ever truly disappear.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Not really a derail, I was arguing they'll never go away cause they'll always be big in games and that will keep them present in other media cause nerds.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Galahad was a much later addition also - you see Malory's book try to sort of cover for this by making 'Galahad' Lancelot's original birth name and 'Lancelot' his confirmation name. He didn't get added into the stories until the Vulgate cycle in the 13th century. RUINING EVERYTHING.

On the opposite end it's thought that Gawain significantly predates Arthur and is from older legends that got rolled into the knights.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the green knight who has a literal head cutting off challenge a round table story?

Yup. Tha'ts media that aged pretty well though, in that it had a great movie adaptation last year.

S'why I knew about Gawain being an older character, cause I looked up stuff about the story after watching the movie.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I'm not saying it was perfect, but it was leaps and bounds above other video games.

Wait what? The gently caress are you talking about.

Even at release Bioshock was a pretty rote shooter with a okay but not amazing twist and otherwise perfunctory writing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sad Dad Games where the main character has a big butt.

Post Trauma, announced during the Game Awards a couple of days ago, stars a late middle aged Asian man with a dumptruck of an rear end.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SatansOnion posted:

add the one with Hand Banana to the pile imo. it isn't often Aqua Teen whiffs it ime, but when it does, hoo boy

They did a sequel to it last year and uhhhh. I guess credit for being able to go back and be the same show they were 15 years ago.

RFC2324 posted:

Pro tier username

Thanks mate.

Edit: lmao I got what you meant the second I posted.

Leaving the post unedited to not hide my dumbassery.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

"Maybe if we really make this guy's life lovely, they'll get it."

Me: "drat, that lovely life is exactly what I want."

Bojack literally had him be a nonce and it didn't get through to those people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I credit From Software and Dark Souls for getting the industry out of those dark times. Yeah, Demons came out first, but it was Dark Souls that got the mainstream attention. Ironically, we’d never get the series if it weren’t for Sony wanting a rival to Oblivion while giving it only a $20 budget and writing the whole project off.

That definitely seems to have been the turning point. I'm not sure if Souls sparked it but it's surprise success was definitely the first clear sign of a sea change.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They’re not bad games, just good examples of how the AAA game industry’s blandness. They would lead to worse things. Prince of Persia got a forgotten weird semi-reboot/remake of the Sands of Time to coincide with a movie no one remembers. Bioshock gave way to Bioshock Infinite.

I'd argue Bioshock 1 always was and remains a bad game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man I love dark souls but their fans really are kind of insufferable

What prompted this?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The posts about how Souls not having checkpoints saved gaming mainly

Posts that don't exist then.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like I said absolutely insufferable

Oh right. You're just an rear end in a top hat.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Are you just now noticing? This is all he ever posts.

I don't really keep track of posters much.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

credburn posted:

Hey gang! I'm having a lot of trouble following the topic. Could someone summarize for me what we're talking about?

From what I gathered:

An old X-Play video had a weird racist intro and dismissed JRPGs
JRPG is a racist term and we should stop using it

I feel so lost :(

A couple of Japanese developers said that jrpg to them is seen as a loaded term cause of how prejudiced western games media was for much of their lives. Games media people said this was nonsense. People then found evidence of all these games media people being insanely racist about Japan.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vandar posted:

Music genres are so utterly confusing and granular to me that I don't even bother trying to understand at this point. The topic of 'sludge metal' came up over in PSP several months back and my eyes just started to roll back in my head when someone tried to explain it to me.

Video game genre names are all mostly pretty bad too, if we're being honest. 'Fighting game' is the absolute worst of them all.

Adventure game is the worst for me for similar reasons.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

Wait, Melissa Joan Hart is a chud? Well that sucks. My wife likes Sabrina.

Has been for ages. She campaigned for Bush through the 2000s.

Edit: why the gently caress do I remember seeing a d lister endorse W in like 2003.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I hope it was the same baker who did the cake for DEVO bassist Jerry Casale's 9/11-themed wedding.

Some sort of callous faux pas themed bakery?
"Tasteless but Delicious!"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Chrpno posted:

I don't watch the news, so I was trying to remember the dude's name, and all my brain would yield was "Ben Cousins", not quite. But I do remember back in the mists of time, when no less a personage than Kate Langbroek had a throwaway crack at Mr Roberts-Smith about his intelligence, and was duly hauled over the coals? Who's laughing now?

Ben Cousins for what it's worth has also not aged well. Self medicating schizophrenia with meth is a hell of a thing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I appreciate them recognising that him breaking just made the scene better.

Or that was the best take they had the budget to shoot.

Either way.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

pentyne posted:

The famous "one who knocks" scene from BB is hilarious in context, because it's Walt being angry and demeaning to his wife, someone he thinks he has total control over, while at the same time running around panicking and freaking out his cartel meth boss is mad at him and willing to hurt him. It's not a badass speech it's a borderline abuser berating his victim because he's scared of the consequences of his actions.

While I agree with your post I do feel in this example they undercut their point by making the speech a bit too good. Walt gets moments and lines that are really good that do kinda sell him as being better than he is. Draper also gets this. I can understand how people who don't pay attention or only see clips could see them as cool.

Tony Soprano otoh always comes off like a schmuck and an rear end in a top hat as far as I remember. I'm struggling to think of a scene where he doesn't come off a brute and an idiot that he actually speaks in.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Just once I'd like to see a serious alternate history where the world turns out better.

One of the Mortal Kombat endings has Jax go back in time and give the slaves laser weapons leading to an Afro futurist utopia.

Sadly this was not the ending the series chose as canon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Nerds were so loving hostile to Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men run for reasons I never cared to understand, and we can thank it for recognizing and codifying that Hank McCoy is a good guy who is in no way a "good guy."

I think this is a big reason people hate it yeah. Beast was traditionally the super scientist who wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

That's kind of a shibboleth because it reveals that anyone who got pissy about that wasn't actually reading any X-Men comics published after 1992 or so. Beast has canonically been an rear end in a top hat for decades. All Bendis did was make that characterization explicit in a way that even the dullest fans could understand-- having a character do a comedy scene where they stop the plot to whine specifically about how Beast is an rear end in a top hat.

I remember there are valid reasons to dislike Bendis' run-- Bendis had been one of Marvel's workhorses for like ten years at that point and people were tired of his style; he took on the riskier and less fun "Cyclops running a terrorist cell" book while Jason Aaron took on the cozier "Wolverine runs a school" book at a time when the X-books had already been very dour for like half a decade; his big pet creation Tempus is a dud and given a disproportionately powerful ability that is always risky as hell to introduce into an established cast; he helped spearhead the whole "Original 5 X-Men as teens come back" plotline which was gimmicky but actually pretty fun; the whole Inhumans poo poo from Executive came down around that time so people were shooting left and right; this wasn't too long after he created Miles Morales and y'know... people are still having a normal one about that

but Beast being an rear end in a top hat? Idk that's some Last Jedi "don't gently caress with my blankie" poo poo from what I can see.

Eh you'd have a big wave of new readers coming in from the 90s cartoon and 2000s movies where he was cool. I don't think it's a disingenuous position.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Digimon but with Godzilla, I'd play the gently caress out of that.

They did this with Ultraman kaiju and Monster Rancher earlier this year fwiw.

Link

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Laurence Olivier posted:

People ask me why I'm playing in this picture. The answer is simple: Money, dear boy. I'm like a vintage wine. You have to drink me quickly before I turn sour. I'm almost used up now and I can feel the end coming. That's why I'm taking money now. I've got nothing to leave my family but the money I can make from films. Nothing is beneath me if it pays well. I've earned the right to drat well grab whatever I can in the time I've got left

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

This has to be about Clash of the Titans, right?

Inchon, a propaganda film by that South Korean cult the Unification Church AKA The Moonies. You may also know them for being the cult that Shinzo Abe got assassinated for his connections to and Japan largely seems to have decided this was fair.

A Sometimes Food has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Dec 9, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've always thought it was weird Kevin Smith baulked so hard at the giant spider. Like. It's a loving Superman movie. A giant spider sounds fine for that.

Hell Lex Luthor has hot to have set a giant spider or spider robot on Clark at some point in the comics right?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The one that makes me do double takes a lot is British media using human being to mean meatball.

Just be zoned out half listening to some cooking show while I do chores and then suddenly I hear something like "spicy faggots".

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pookah posted:

Yeah, as a verb, "tinker' has no major connotations that I can think of but as a noun to describe a person or group of people, it is extremely dodgy.

Hell tinkerer is largely okay as a noun to describe people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ciaphas Cain's thing is imposter syndrome more than anything.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, he also just does it as a courtesy, he's under no obligation to get permission to parody someone. He only tries to respect artist's wishes because he's being polite.

Also, Coolio being the one to throw a hissyfit is hilarious considering it's just a wholesale rip-off of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise." What was his argument? "How dare you make light of that song! I put my heart and soul into rewriting that!"

I think it might have been that Al's white.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

credburn posted:

How do you blow (or suck, I guess) a cello...?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

That’s what the Amulet of Natural Armour is for.

Then your literally rock hard nipples are just wearing down the armour. Take it off and you're covered with metal shavings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The main issue with Jack's design is they didn't lean into it hard enough. Like she's way too clean, conventionally pretty, healthy and not hosed up for the traumatised half feral punk look. Should have given her some gnarly injuries from her hosed up life and some off-putting but cool future body modding. At the very least she should have hosed up teeth and skin given her history. So all up she just looks like she's going clubbing. Not like. A fugitive half feral murderer who was subjected to human experimentation as a kid.

That all said, I felt her 3 design was great and worked for where she was.