Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Then watch Phantom of the Paradise. It's loving amazing. My dad showed it to my brother and I to show us something he was into when he was our age.

Seriously, watch Phantom of the Paradise. My city (Winnipeg) single-handily kept it from being quickly forgotten and made the album go Gold in sales despite it being a movie that basically died opening weekend everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Assuming you're talking about the ship and not the show, why would they not eat meat for any reason other than not liking it? Replicators remove any cruelty from production. Sure, PETA of the 23rd Century would still be protesting that cows had been bred 80 years earlier to get the template for that perfect cut of Kobe beef you just ate, but they'd be even more fringe than they are today.

Sisko's father was a chef and took pride in not using replicated foods, so there were still farms. I think part of it was that with replicators, people could do what they wanted to do. So farmers who wanted to farm could do so, ect.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

This reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the lady is getting plastic surgery to correct her horrible face and it turns out she's beautiful and it's everyone else whose deformed. They try their best to hide the doctor's and nurses' faces but in multiple scenes you can see them and they look perfectly normal. Which was such a cop out. At least stick a big plant leaf or random chunk of fence in there.

There's a couple of points in the episode where a TV is on in the background and it looks like the person on TV has the proper makeup on despite the TV not being really visible at the time, so at least they tried to stick with the theme. Really, most old sci-fi programs that relied on the technology of the time "softening" the picture haven't aged well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

On-topic: you know how every so often, "Ren and Stimpy" would have an episode that felt, like, wrong somehow? Welp. :allbuttons:

Could you please expand on this a bit? Because every episode of Ren and Stimpy felt wrong. Wasn't that the point? Has some new revelations come to light, or is it just a case of "Holy poo poo I was a hosed up kid for enjoying that"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Ren and Stimpy creator revelations.

Is there a smilie that encapsulates both a feeling of disturbing shock and yet at the same time not at all surprised that the guy who portrays girls in his cartoons as oversexualized underage teenagers would be a sexual predator? This is like Jimmy Savile all over again where all the signs are there, just no one was able (or willing) to put them together.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, that's pretty much exactly how the games work. Infiltration, observation, manipulation. Could have a basic overarching plot similar to the episodic game currently, where seemingly unconnected hits are part of a larger scheme, and when 47 himself starts becoming a proper element in it, everyone including he knows something's gone horribly wrong. The game in question is also pretty good at having interesting narratives around the targets and the area the missions take place in.

Have a series where each episode revolves around different 47 "victims" where 47 only shows up disguised as background staff/mooks, never interacts with the main characters of the week, and sets up each of the murders as accidental deaths. Have the appeal of the show being trying to guess how he'll kill the "victims" this week based on what he's doing in the backdrop. One week he's in the background working as a serving staff at a crime lord's restaurant/front, where the crime lord suffers a sever allergic reaction from cross-contaminated food. The next week he's in the background as a construction worker on a property undergoing renovations, and a steel cable holding a heavy load gives way just as the person is passing under it. Basically, a reverse CSI is what I would want to see from a Hitman series, possibly with a larger overall arc-story tying them all together.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Same for me, but with Transformers

The original Transformers cartoon wasn't that bad, it had its share of episodes that hasn't aged well, but it had a run of 98 episodes according to Wikipedia (Did... did kids cartoon from the 80's get that many episodes normally?). There are better Transformer cartoons since then, but there are definitely worse as well.

Speaking of hasn't aged well, the Transformers Energon/Cybertron cartoons. Were poor for their time, and have aged like hot garbage. They tried for "traditional" animation on everything except for the Transformers, who were done in CGI instead. It just looks wrong and doesn't fit at all with the rest of the show. Also the plot was a bit of a mess (What do you expect when they take three separate series and try to force the three plots together?).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only major flaw with Beast Wars is the occasional slapstick/"Saturday morning cartoon" moments (complete with silly sound effects that are horribly out of place). I think those tended to be more season 1 than later on though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, the original dinobots were built to look like that, because who wouldn't want to fight alongside robot dinosaurs?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first game has the more linear campaigns where you start as the Decepticons loving everything up for the first half and then the Autobots fighting back in the second. The second game switches perspectives a lot, and you can even choose to fight the final boss as Optimus Prime or Megatron. (in which case, the final boss is Megatron or Optimus Prime)

I do love the part where you play as each of the Combaticons and then combine into Bruticus at the end.
Fall Of Cybertron is probably the best Transformers game we can reasonably expect to get. Really, the only issues I had with it were that the missions had less replayability than the first game (the first game had three characters you could choose from with different weaponsets) but a better story, and that they used Bruticus rather than Devistator as the combined transformer.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a short-lived Highlander cartoon. I don't think anyone had their head chopped off in it.

People had their heads chopped off but it was done offscreen.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does Nightmare Before Christmas count as a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Batman Beyond was actually one of the ideas that the suits forced the DCAU crew to make and its testament to their skills that they actually made something genuinely good out of it.

"Make Batman, but set it in high school!" is one of those decisions you hear about execs making and wonder just how many pills they had taken with their pre-lunch martini. Batman Beyond is a good show.

That being said, has Drawn Together aged well? Its humor was borderline offensive at the time, but fron what I remember it always seemed to be poking fun at stereotypes, and not at groups specifically. I'm afraid to rewatch it and learn that what I remember as being a borderline offensive funny cartoon (with a really lovely movie) is actually horribly offensive and I'm just a terrible person for liking it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dixville posted:

The only show that came to mind that I watched was Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Yep, theory checks out

Didn't Sabrina reveal that she was a witch to Harvey and her best friend earlier on though? Wasn't that season 2/3?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's another video, possibly from this thread, where someone removed the laughtrack. You think the shows a chore to watch now? Try it without the fake laughter, it actually gets WORSE.

I've seen that clip, it's not unwatchable, but considering that most of the "jokes" in the clip were (I think) Sheldon and Raj, it came off more as everyone else was pausing to figure out the flow of logic. Considering Sheldon's actor was deliberately portraying him as autistic and half the time he has to explain the joke anyways...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I just learned there's a Cinderella 3.

Is that the one that reveals that the evil stepmother was actually an evil witch with the power to manipulate time? Never seen it, but it sounded kinda badass for a Disney direct-to-DVD movie.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Apart from being the first SF show with a persistent narrative arc.

Depending on what you mean by "persistent narrative", wouldn't V, Doctor Who, Blake's Seven and Red Dwarf have all beaten it to the punch?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pick posted:

Those are not even remotely similar in terms of what Babylon 5 was doing.

Babylon 5 was essentially a 5-season miniseries and there are incredibly few dropped threads. No other show has ever been so tight in its planning and execution. And unlike Lost, Babylon 5 was provably written in its entirety before anything was filmed. It's what other shows pretend to be.

*When I say written I don't mean line-for-line, but outlined on, iirc, over ten thousand index cards with contingency plans for any character leaving at any stage (which happened three times to major characters, including the MAIN CHARACTER, so good drat thing!)

If you're referring to "Having an entire multi-season series planned out from the very beginning with backup ends to plotlines" as being a persistent narrative... isn't Babylon 5 the only series to do that? And even then, they still had one eventuality come up that wasn't planned for (they were being cancelled after the fourth season, so they wrapped up the main storyline as best they could, then near the end were told that the series was getting the last season, so had to stretch the post-war arc to fit a whole season.)

Don't get me wrong, Babylon 5 is a great series that has a terrible spinoff, but there were older sci-fi series that did consistant ongoing narratives before it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was on when I was 10. I thought it was weird then and I think it's kind of weird now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgXR6k-P1s

On behalf of Canadians everywhere, I'm sorry that we created that... Thing. I have no idea why it was so popular at the time. Even when it aired on TV I would immediately change the channel to anything else.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure how well R&S has aged, but its revival years later started off not well and has only aged poorly since.

That being said, I will be thankful for one thing for the revival series, it showed that R&S was "good" despite John K., not because of him. Considering how blatant he was about being a pedophile, and how often he joked about it, I'm honestly surprised that it's only recently that he's being outed as one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

All this talk about Highlander and no one brought up the greatness that was The Animated Series? Well, okay, the cartoon itself wasn't that good, but I just love that their solution for making a kids show about a movie series that revolved around people beheading each other was "gently caress it. Meteor hits Earth, (almost) everyone dies, all of the Immortals except one agree that The Game is kind of bullshit next to the survival of the remnants of the human race and focus on rebuilding society, the one Immortal who didn't agree declares himself ruler of Earth because gently caress you, he's immortal".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The first Final Fantasy Legend was really good for that. Start off in a medieval world with swords and magic, sure why not. Next "tier", of the tower, ocean world with pirates and cannons? Cool. Third tier, sky world with airships and rebels fighting against an evil empire? Huh, kinda cliche but okay. Fourth tier? POST-APOCALYPTIC JAPAN WITH HOVERBIKES AND DEATH ROBOTS? Wait, what?

And then you fight God. With a chainsaw if you want.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife and I have been watching through the original Twilight Zone series, and while for the most part it has aged remarkably well for a series made in the late 50's/early 60's, there are a few times where the series shows its age.

Last night we watched "Nightmare as a Child" and at one point, a family friend of the main character (who is in her early 30's) who was easily in his 50's comments that he had a crush on her since she was 11. I... uh... I dunno what the standards were when the show was made, but that definitely elected a hearty "WHAT THE gently caress" from both of us.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I picked up the Universal Classic Monsters collection because I had never actually seen the original Universal Monster movies. Dracula... is kind of a hot mess, if I'm being honest. The plot is almost incoherent without reading the original novel, entire weeks will pass between scenes with the only hint being a quick mention of something from the previous scene being "Weeks ago", and they start the Vampire Lucy plot, and even show her as a vampire, but... forget to resolve it. I know that the movie had a very troubled production, but it really has not aged well. I have also seen Frankenstein and The Mummy, and both aged MUCH better (well, okay, except for one part in The Mummy where a character is outraged that the Egyptian government won't let them take the loot from the tombs back to Great Britain, and wanted it to stay in the museum in Cairo. Then again, the guy came off as a dick, so... maybe The Mummy was well ahead of its time in that regard?)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

So Harley accepts the true version of events but changes her "origin story" to not be when she jumped in the vat but when she finally kicked the Joker to the curb and stroke out on her own. It rules.

I love that moment because it's also technically true from a narrative standpoint. She went from being Harle Quinn (competent sidekick who actually beat Batman once) to Harle Quinn (Gang Boss who actually beat Batman once). A fitting origin for HER story and rise to glory.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still don't understand why we needed The Kid at all in King's expanded The Stand. He did nothing of value at all other than some shock gore.

Well, now we know why it was cut in the first place. The Stand was the only one to get the "Uncut and unabridged" treatment after the original version was published, right? AFAIK, the original version really didn't lose anything, it was all filler that was added back in.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

That dead chick from twin peaks?

That was Laura Palmer

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

apparently Rescue Rangers is a getting a new movie. Wonder if that cult still exist and has opnions on it.

I'm honestly torn on the new movie. On the one hand, I would love a new cartoon like they did with the Duck Tales reboot. On the other hand, it very much looks like it's set in the same "universe" as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, so...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I bought the book of his complete works. I'm genuinely scared to open it in case it's like a Pandora's Box of insanity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Had the Boris Karloff Mummy aged well? Imo yes it's great.

I don't know if it counts as aging well or just being so long since it was made that it just comes off as hilarious when the one archeologist is outraged that one of the requirements for their digs were that the Egyptian government wanted the Egyptian artifacts to stay in Egypt. Also, a better film overall than Dracula (fight me).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

This is what kills me about this conversation every time. WHY did they give it to TWO UNIMPORTANT HOBBITS in the FIRST PLACE? Same reason! Because SAURON (THE GIANT, WORLD-SEEING EYE) ain't looking at them, he's looking at the assembled military forces of middle-earth. Big fuckoff eagles are like sending bombers directly at anti-aircraft artillery and going WTF when it doesn't work

And on top of that, the Hobbits still needed A) A guide through Mordor, B) An army on the front door of Mordor to distract all of Mordor, and C) Winning against an abomination against all that is good and pure in Middle-Earth, which is so fearsome that orcs would rather have to deal with the Nazghul than her. Meanwhile, for giant birds, you have both bows and arrows, and giant flying monsters of your own.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

The worst happens, Sauron is resurrected and the first thing he does is just "Alright, that was a close one, but I gotta give it to Sam. 'Can't carry the ring but I can carry you?' Hell of a loophole, well done mate. Just for that, the hobbits live."

Pretty sure the first thing Sauron would do when he's resurrected is demand to know what the gently caress is a Hobbit and how can he scour Middle Earth of them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

How do these movie script sensors work? Is it some sort of machine learning AI?

Yeah, unfortunately this was back in the 60's, so the AI was about as smart as your average film censor.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

Pratchett is a great example of media that did age well. He set a standard that makes a lot of other books become appropriate to this thread. The movies and TV shows based on his stuff though? Just lol wtf

I remember Hogfather being a good adaptation, but couldn't get through the other ones. Dunno why, I just kind of bounced off of them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Witches Abroad for the reveal about why Weatherwax is so reluctant to help people, and prefers to make them help themselves via headology when she can. She's actually the evil twin in her sibling group. The problem was that her sister the fairy godmother went crazy, ran off and started forcing stories to happen to make herself stronger regardless of the feelings of those she manipulated. As Esme puts it when she confronts her in the ending, "After you left, I HAD TO BE THE GOOD ONE!"

At least I think that was in Witches Abroad, been a long time since I've read the series.

I always thought that it was meant to imply that Granny Weatherwax was always the "Good" sister of the two, just that she wasn't NICE about it. Considering how much the book stressed "Nice does not mean Good", it seemed a logical extension of that (Granny is good but mean, her sister was evil but nice, and they had both mistaken good and nice).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

geeko55 posted:

Maybe my memory is off on this, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the whole plotline with the kid stowaway wasn't nearly as expanded or even perverted in the original manga as it was in the anime production, and that Davids Production took it further then what it was. Which makes it worse then it already was, imo, because it's now in a weird spot of 'Was this the producers, the original artist, or both that said this was needed to be added?'.

It's two pages for her shower scene in the manga, with a page in between showing a large group of sailors after they had been murdered and the ape sneaking around, so it comes off with more of a "Psycho shower scene" vibe. Still sleepy considering her age, but not long, lingering shots like the anime.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Yeah that's a more interesting subject imo, what are some depictions of warfare as purely an allegory that have aged well? There are definitely more complex ways to make an anti-war statement than just showing one onscreen or making it a physical presence, I just can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

The 4th season of Blackadder? It's set in the trenches of WW1, but for 5 1/2 episodes, it's "Blackadder tries to get away from the front lines" comedy and 1/2 episode of unfiltered despair.

No real combat is shown, and the one time the British won a battle, they won a piece of land large enough to fit onto the general's desk, at horrific costs of life.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

The manga basically goes right into the timeskip and because I guess the anime was in danger of catching up they just did like a straight two years of filler. So now that you've finished all of it I can tell you that every single one of those episodes could have been skipped with no trouble

Speaking of Naruto and media that didn't age well, Shonen Jump's run of Naruto, where the physical graphic novels had greatly outpaced the magazine, so they jumped forward several volumes in the magazine, just to jump forward a few months later when they decided to "catch up" to the Japanese magazine's publication because Naruto was that popular in North America. I think they did a similar thing for One Piece, but it was less egregious because those were mostly short story arcs that didn't really add much to the overarching plot anyways.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

That's tough when all the public school history texts deliberately strip out the whys of history (which have a left-wing bias.)

Speaking of, how do US textbooks handle the war of 1812, or does that just get memoryholed and claim a spontaneous fire broke out at the White House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zebulon posted:

Pretty much just "Canadians marched to DC, burned down the White House, wandered back off to Canada" from what I remember of it.

HomestarCanter posted:

When it comes to the War of 1812, the Americans think they won it, the Canadians know they won it, and the British don't remember fighting it.

Oh, okay, I was just curious how it was portrayed in the US. From what I remember from school, it was presented as "US tried to annex Canada from the British, failed, the British managed to push into DC, burnt down the White House and left/were pushed out. Canada wasn't annexed, US didn't lose any land to the British, and a whole lot of people died for no reason."