Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
https://youtube.com/watch/shGVuDt_B74

Technically 80s, but still.

[Verse 1]
Teenage baby, you're a sweet young thing
Still tied to Mama's apron strings
I don't even dare to ask your age
It's enough to know you're here backstage

[Chorus]
You're jailbait, and I just can't wait
Jailbait baby come on

[Verse 2]
One taste baby, all I need
My decision made at lightning speed
I don't even want to know your name
It's enough to know you feel the same

[Chorus]
Jailbait, I just can't wait
Jailbait baby get down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

An unfortunate consequence of the 60s being extremely misogynistic was that there wasn’t really any understanding of the difference between sex as an expression of personal autonomy and insanely unhealthy grooming and coercion where a gross libertine was just raping kids because they could get away with it. That whole generation just assumed that any criticism of sex was a holdover from establishment prudery and that a kid loving Donovan could only mean that the kid was empowered and leaving behind hypocritical morality for empowered self-determination. You can see weird vestiges of this attitude in some of the old cults from the era that are still around like the Raelians (I think it’s them—it’s a ufo cult, anyway) that have zero understanding of bodily autonomy and think that anyone who doesn’t want to go to the post-meeting orgy is just a repressed square.

See: French intellectuals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.amp.html

This is a highly recommended read. Long story short, a famed writer blatantly wrote about having sex with kids as young as eleven without being challenged. He wrote about the joy of having sex with multiple kids at the same time. Some highlights: Fled to hotels to live with his 14-year-old "lover" (paid for in part by Yves Saint-Laurent). When detectives showed up, he showed them a letter from the president praising his work and they dismissed the reports as coming from a jealous rival.

In 1990, a French literary program had a discussion of his latest memoir, which included Matzneff writing about having sex with 11 and 12 year-old boys in the Philippines, calling them a "rare spice". The only person who denounced him on the show was also the only person not from France, she was a Quebecois journalist who got attacked for her prudishness by an editor from Le Monde. When the writer of this article interviewed this editor asking about her defence of Matzneff at the time, her response was "I saw him as a man who liked young women. In France, he was never seen with boys".

The same people who ignored or defended his vileness are still influential figures in the French literary world today. He won a major literary award as recently as 2013 when his close friend (who was entrusted with incriminating letters and photos of children when Matzneff feared a police raid) influenced the 9 men and 1 woman on the jury to select him. Matzneff isn't even in legal trouble, but he's whining about how he was cancelled this year because the aforementioned 14-year old, Vanessa Springora, recently wrote a book about her abuse at his hands. It's an infuriating article.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Aug 5, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I don't know if this has been mentioned but as a fan of Aliens, I only found out this year that Pvt. Vasquez is played by a white woman wearing contacts and full-body makeup.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I knew that the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket was a memorable character, but the actor got multiple tv shows out of it where he seems to reprise his role from that movie, and apparently people love the character. Seems weird for a film partly about how war breaks down young men in a wholly unhealthy way, and a character whose abuse most directly led to a boy's mental episode and murder-suicide.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Aug 26, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Smeg honestly is more offensive. Like when newspaper quotes write it as "rear end****" because it's a reference to an orifice.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I was watching the original Twin Peaks and I don't know if the way David Lynch uses a man with dwarfism sits well with me. It's not explicitly demeaning, but it just seems like Lynch went "you know what would really make this scene even more otherworldly and unnerving? A dwarf, how abnormal."

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I know it's positively respectful compared to other portrayals in media. Hell, Austin Powers came out ten years later and I absolutely don't think that the character of Mini-Me is anything but crass mockery of people with dwarfism.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 7, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Passengers Recut as a Horror Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmQmCEF-8Q

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

That was an honestly embarassing part of the movie. The first half shows the insidiousness of the U.S. military-industrial complex which is all well and good, but as soon as the action shifts to Hong Kong we get an extended scene of hyper-competent professionals in the Chinese government who spring into action. I guess that's the cost of having part of your budget bankrolled by the PRC.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the stuff that panders to me and dislike the stuff that panders to foreigners

It's not quite the same, though. While many U.S. films are propagandistic, especially about the military, plenty of them, especially from the '80s and onwards have had themes of how the government fails its citizens, victimises other countries or is downright corrupt. China can't be depicted that way without having the movie be banned from the largest international market. Like from my post earlier about Transformers, it's silly when the first half is about corrupt government actors and then there's a scene jammed in about the decisive and competent central government coming in to save Hong Kong.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

rydiafan posted:

I lied in my previous post. Not about the making GBS threads, but about only knowing one thing about YGO. My second, and final, piece of knowledge about YGO involves this. One of my friends, who worked at said store and thus interacted with a lot of people playing various games, had a whole treatise about this.

YGO teaches children that winning is all that matters, and cheating is good to do.

Pokemon teaches people that winning is irrelevant (Ash goes like 10 seasons without winning a tournament) and that the love of the hobby and the friendships you form through it are what matters.

These lessons are reflected in the children who play these games.

There's an anime about the Japanese board game Go where the protagonist is told what moves to make by some Go genius in his head, which always struck me as unexciting. Its like using a computer to play chess.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

WWE had people wear blackface multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sTBzhhuDgw

Golddust's opponent was black here.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Was it Arch? I been watxhing a TON of 40k lore and audio books lately and i came across him and he seemed like a real prick

Yes, he's collaborated with personalities like The Golden One and Sargon and has made videos on his secondary channel about all the typical alt-right topics like MRA, the Islamic invasion of Europe, and why white people can say racial slurs. Even when he focuses on 40k he gets things hilariously wrong like in the video in which he argues that the Imperium of Man is not a fascist government

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

hard counter posted:

arch is real bad to be sure and i wouldn't be surprised if he either argued the point ineptly or tried to make a different, dumber conclusion, but i think it's fair to say the imperium is more like a mishmash of various dystopian authoritarian governments blended into a gross soup then amped up into caricature than it is a satire of historical fascism, specifically

There's a lot of truth in this, but Arch put forth some pretty bad arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0nSZ_L6Wto

It's an hour long and I admit that I only watched the first fifteen minutes or so, but in that time he puts forth some pretty weak arguments.

He points out how the aesthetics don't match up with historical fascist governments, like how the Imperial insignia is based on the Weimar Republic's. That's fine, but philosophically the Imperium is fascism taken to the extreme. Individuality is subsumed in favor of ultranationalism, xenophobia is a cornerstone of society, and political opposition is forcefully oppressed. Sure, you can't have a form of government entirely analogous to WW2-era Italy and Germany when your state encompasses millions of planets, and there are as been pointed out individual worlds can vary widely in how they're run but the philosophy of the universe and lore always returns to fascism.

Arch also tries to say that the Emperor let his son lead his armies and entrusted the running of his empire to an advisor, and what kind of dictator would relinquish power like that? He fails to mention that their positions are contingent on the fact that they are subservient to his wishes.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Nov 10, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I've watched some West Wing for the first time, and has it just aged very poorly or did people already recognize it as ridiculous when it first aired?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

In Degrassi: The Next Generation (2001) one of the main characters is a passionate environmentalist, and one of the episodes is about a campaign she starts in her high school. The cause she champions isn't about reducing its carbon footprint or minimizing waste, it's that she wants the cafeteria to stop serving GMO foods even if it raises the cost of lunch. In the big meeting with the principal, she gives him a tomato to taste. He says it's fine and then she reveals that it has DNA and that there haven't been any studies on what scorpion DNA does to humans.

Later, her stepdad tells her to stop causing trouble and she silences him by asking if he would fine with the new baby eating GM foods :rolleyes:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm not a big fan of Rambo. When I was a kid my great grandma had two pets, a dog named Rambo and a cat named Sambo. She might have been racist, but that's not the point. The point is Rambo would knock my tiny child body over and proceed to hump away and I wasn't powerful enough to stop it.

That's why I don't like Rambo.

What the gently caress

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You know you're in for a culinary experience when your food has a warning label with the phrase "anal leakage/seepage" (if you click, you'll know why I used spoiler tags)

Wait what the gently caress? Is this stuff still around?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

His sister keeps wrecking his work out of ignorant curiosity and inability to not push large red buttons. She's actually quite protective and loving of him. There's even an episode that shows how in old age she's still the caretaker for a senile Dexter.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I watched this 90s documentary about child actors from the earliest stars to the modern day and there are a whole bunch of movies I can't see the same way again.

There are a lot of :gonk: stories but two that come to my mind was how Jackie Cooper often had trouble crying on cue, which was a problem because he was known as "The Crying Kid" and directors were expected to have him cry in at least a couple scenes per movie to bring the audiences in. One time the director had the security guard take Cooper's (age less than 10) dog behind a building and pretend to shoot it, then they shot the scene with him crying about his dead dog. For another extremely young star who wouldn't cry, they took her aside and told her that the family depends on her and would become homeless if she didn't do it.

Another is child actor Bill Mumy who was fidgeting during filming of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. He says a sweaty, heavy-breathing Hitchcock walked up to him and whispered in his ear, "I am going to get a nail and nail your feet to the mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk".

There are some heartbreaking scenes where they gather a bunch of former child actors to discuss their experiences and its like a trauma support group, many of them cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U8s9eiLYU

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jul 16, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Has anyone watched Kubrick's adaptation of Lolita? I read the book recently and enjoy Kubrick, but the tagline for the poster is "a tale of forbidden love" and has the 14-year-old actress wearing heart sunglasses and suggestively sucking a lollipop. So it just feels like they miss the point of the novel and went straight to "sexy pre-teen seduces man" instead of "normal young girl kidnapped and raped over the course of years leaving irreparable damage and suffering"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I don't mean to give that as the "point" of the book. I just mean it's a novel with a very sensitive subject that even some contemporary readers took as a riveting tale of love and the poster sets off red flags.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Oct 2, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I don't think that there have been many posts like that itt. No one is coming in talking about how Song of the South might be problematic.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

also the part where playing as catwoman the thugs are constantly screaming threats of sexual violence against her

I have not heard people yell BITCH so much at a character in my life.

You encounter a thug who says "I'll make you meow, bitch." You knock him out and move on to a group fight where multiple thugs call you a bitch and yell to kill the bitch. Entering a stealth segment, you overhear two thugs talk about what they'd like to do to that bitch Harley Quinn.

But hey, rated T for teen!

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Nov 6, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I occasionally see the Japanese tourist trope come up even as late as 2000's Disney Channel shows. It's rarely hateful but often feels disrespectful. I wasn't around for the 80's but it's always a gaggle of Japanese people blindly following a tour guide and mindlessly snapping pictures. Maybe it's true to life but to me it invokes a stereotype of conformity and herd mentality among Asians. Like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall the joke is that they're taking photos of random cutlery.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

They're probably talking about the quest where two virginal teenagers are in love but the boy is inducted into the priesthood of some religon and has to be celibate. A possible solution to the quest is to drug him with ant queen pheromones that make him become uncontrollably horny and have sex with her, forcing him to do the honorable thing and marry her instead.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I recently learned of an interview where Terence Stamp, who played the Chancelor in The Phantom Menace, says he was uninterested in the role but accepted it partly because he had a "terrible crush" on Natalie Portman and was extremely disappointed that he had to act against a prop stand-in instead of the actress. He was 60 at the time of filming, and Portman must have been like 16/17?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Now I want to see one from the advent of indoor plumbing where a party host is pointing down the hall and saying "The toilet? It's in that room."

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) there's a mission where you're a CIA operative helping freedom fighters in a fictional middle eastern country and this part made my jaw drop.

Polygon posted:

During the level in question, the leader of the rebels briefs the CIA officer on the terrain they’ll be using to set up an ambush.

A video zooms into the site of the ambush in Modern Warfare’s “Highway of Death” level. It’s a rural road off a major highway, littered with bombed-out vehicles.

“If they try to escape to the mountains,” she says, “there is only one road [...] the Highway of Death. The Russians bombed it during the invasion, killing the people trying to escape.”

The image from the game.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Maybe Michael Jackson is cheating but the plot of the musical short Ghosts is that his character moved into a spooky house on the edge of town and he's been entertaining local children who come to see him perform. A group of concerned parents show up saying things like "you're a freak! Get out of here! We don't like our kids hanging around you!" and he wins them over with the power of dance.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Sound design is important. If all firearms emitted unpleasant farting and squelching sounds instead of the normal sound of discharge there would be no war.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

My biggest irrational zombie "these people are idiots" peeve is the Walking Dead arc where a swarm of a few hundred zombies trap people in their heavily fortified walled town full of weapons, tools, raw materials, and a few weeks of food and water. It goes off onto a thing where the town people are despairing/hoping for outside rescue instead of "Make some long pointy sticks, everybody has a quota to poke 5 zombies a day while standing on top of the wall"

The Red Markets RPG, a zombie-setting "game of economic horror", has a faction of fanatics called Black Math who are obsessed with the tallies of zombies vs survivors and are all about the "okay if every one of us kills x zombies per day we will save the world".

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Sly Cooper was one of my favorite video game series growing up. I was watching a let's play lately and watched a mission where the curvaceous fox lady character gets gigantified and the player as Sly climbs up her thigh like Shadow of the Colossus. What was so innocent 15 years ago now feels like some developer didn't even try to hide his fetishes.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The parts that weren't about incest in the collection of Victorian erotica that I bought and subsequently stopped reading and threw away were about adoption for, at best, grooming purposes. :barf:

This is like when I discovered the Marquis de Sade in a bookstore and thought "ooh, 18th century erotic novels, how quaint" and went on to be grossed out by the contents and learn that the word sadism is named after him.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

moonmazed posted:

did you think being horny was invented in the 20th century

No I just thought it would be "Monsieur, I am but a chaste milkmaid but my loins burn for you", not endless passages of a twelve year old being raped by everyone she meets

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

On somewhat the same topic I watched Independence Day for the first time and discovered that Will Smith doesn't say "Welcome to Earf" like all the memes suggested. He says "Earth" just fine. I guess it was just racism or what?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

One of the first lines is "you couldn't get into the city without a shoehorn" and I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Where the crowd mutates very quickly from "go gently caress yourself everyone knows he sucked in Constantine and has limited range" to "oh he's a wonderful guy though" to "yeah and he's a great actor too!" right into "Yeah and he was great in Constantine!"

Seen it happen here and dozens of other places, so maybe think before you bust out the ":jerkbag: What the gently caress are you talking about? :smug:" poo poo. It's an understandable phenomenon, but a loving weird one.

Thanks by the way everyone for the empirical evidence. Couldn't have done it without you.

This was very strange because your initial point was that people get angry when you mention Keanu Reeve's limits and these posts you've quoted are all saying he's not a wonderful actor but can get the job done

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

(as opposed to Nic Cages cool expensive poo poo like dinosaur skulls and old comics).

I recently learned that Nicholas Cage had a dream about a double-headed eagle and wanted to buy one, but when one couldn't be procured he settled for a two-headed snake which in his words he "spent a lot of money on".

https://people.com/pets/two-headed-snake-donated-by-nicolas-cage-dies-audubon-zoo/

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

He also said that over time the top half of women will shrivel but gravity ensures that their bottoms are nice and plump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

It's common advice to take psychedelic mushrooms with grapefruit juice to enhance their potency.