Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I could not even be allowed to enjoy the Hobbit with my eyes closed, considering Peter Jackson kept cutting away from Howard Shore's still quite amazing soundtrack.
But as others said, there are good parts in there. 2 Films would have been more palatable.

Edit: also seeing Movie 3 in a 3movie marathon was the second dumbest cinema Idea I ever had. (The first being to go to a a Jurassic World midnight Marathon)

Sweevo posted:

What this three hour long movie needs is for the action to stop dead so we can watch a dancing fairy man speak in rhyme for 40 minutes while adding absolutely nothing to the plot.

To be fair, it didnt clash too much with the tone set out by the book thus far. To my 14year old dumb-rear end-self that is.

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 15:26 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Glagha posted:

I mean... Have you seen the extended content of LOTR? They did that poo poo, adding in every single fuckin cut scene they ever shot into one gigantic like 9 hour slog of a trilogy.

If you look at the trailers, you will know that that isnt even true.
And I feel I cannot agree with the notion that the theatrical editions are superior, even the scenes I know are superfluous I absolutely enjoy as additions.
Meanwhile with the Hobbit trilogy, there were clearly some extended scenes that should have been in the regular version instead.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Comedy!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

comedy forum somethingawful has not aged well

Not the forums fault really.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I forget how Lucifer can even hide them so well.

One character even remarks at one point that Hannibals patients havent had the best of records afterwards.
But who can hate him when he throws such a good dinner party?

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jul 21, 2020

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
YGO players are known to be smelly.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh the pharaoh stuff doesn’t really happen until after the card game takes over.

The last arc is where 95% takes place

Yes but the Egyptian influence itself is there from the 3rd chapter.

quote:

Then again, Pegasus needing to cheat to be a threat to Yugi and Kaiba makes sense; both of them (well, all three counting Yami) are full-time card game fanatics, while Pegasus may have invented the game but he's an artist and businessman, and it's not exactly typical for the developers of a popular game to be the best at it.

Its also pointed out that his ability to read minds and penchant for overpowered cards has kept him from developing proper skills and instincts.
So he falls for several traps once the mindreading gets shut down. (Until he just brings out a whole new overpowered boss)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Meanwhile my coutnry's Anthem (The Netherlands) is all about some german guy and how much we hate the spanish.

(I know its more complicated than that and involved revolutions and a war that lasted 80 years. But its just such a silly song.)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-ZBYyjsko

These ones are pretty good too but they work because he's imitating Trump's style of speech rather than a a political parody

I am gonna have to toot my own country's horn here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsP1zhpNxE

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Cleretic posted:

In... well not really less disgusting subjects, but different disgusting subjects, it's interesting to see that the third Yu-Gi-Oh series, 5D's, got derailed by some very sad real-world events at the time.

They were really building up to a cult storyline for the female lead, laying the groundwork pretty early on... only to abruptly stop when it turned out that one of the show's Japanese voice actresses was involved in an actual cult (largely as a victim, but as usual with cults it's murky). It was the sort of news story that was over by the time the news broke as far as I know, it isn't a Smallville situation, but it did lead to that voice actress being replaced, the character being (very obviously) scaled back, and the show's cult storyline just vanishing.

Neither of which really help the show much at all, since the two characters affected are the two main adult female characters, and they clearly struggle to find what to do about that.

Well that and it didn't help that the cardgame had a new Poochie and his cards to promote.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Little late but I had to say that

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rocketman was definitely a bad movie but I watched it in the ideal setting: on an airplane

Rocketman was great!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

hawowanlawow posted:

the poster who corrected me was ...correct, it was renfield and not van helsing

The biggest problem with Dracula is clearly that Van Helsing is supposedly Dutch when he's actually speaking German.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
At least 18 didn't immediately fall for Krillin after said grand gesture. But then again DBZ romance usually happens offscreen anyway.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're the same country dummy. That's why they call it Dutchland.

Dont make me use the hard G!

(Speaking of media that hasn't aged well, anything that shows the Netherlands as being a meadow full of tulips and windmills)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
JFC that space station

ilmucche posted:

Nether Gundam

Are the windmill blades at least made of something sturdier than wood?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

sassassin posted:

Vegeta is still a bad dad in Super. He reluctantly goes on a trip to a theme park with his family, acts like a sulky child the whole time (except when eating) and flies away to train when Bulma tells him he's fulfilled a basic, minimal obligation to his son. The episode is somehow considered a mark in his favour by many.

Super is a show thats aging so badly I can already tell its terrible.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Gundam Wing was the only Gundam show we even got over here (uncensored too). Teen me ate it up.

(edit: this is a strange time to find out I have no idea how to remove posts)

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Feb 7, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s just more Z. What your seeing is Z was always bad

Fair enough. But at least it looked prettier.
...40 % of the time.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The joke being that it still didnt make him as strong as Goku.

christmas boots posted:

Now granted I only ever knew one mexican who’d seen G Gundam but he loving loved that sombrero space station

Oh I love the windmill Gundam too.
At least it doesnt have clogs.
It does have a backstory about it disguising itself as a windmill to get to the finals apparently, and thats so dumb its amazing.

DeafNote has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Feb 7, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dragonball is weird in that it has a button that makes death toothless but it needs drama so it has to figure a way around it.

The Buu sagas solution was to pretends the dragon balls aren’t a thing when it’s more dramatic

Characters kept saying 'I will wish you back' after each dramatic event, so it kinda loses its sting after a bit.
Heck at one point Gotenks just stops caring about collateral damage because the damage can always be fixed later.. (except Picollo then points out that the dragonballs could be destroyed too)

Buu's planet extinction attack was still pretty cool. (and as a whole that arc was disjointedly gruesome/comedic)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Megillah Gorilla posted:

OSTs (original sound tracks) seem like a massive business now.

I know in Korea, a lot of artists want to get to a sing a show's theme because it's one of the few things they can do where they'll actually get paid.

Personally I found the opening end ending songs on a soundtrack to be the least interesting part myself.
And dont even get me started on the endless parade of character song albums.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Push El Burrito posted:

Well this explains a lot of what happened on Angel.

I swear I've heard that horrid 'are you going to keep the baby?' story before somewhere.
But yeah absolutely awful stuff. No wonder her character got sent to heaven, possessed by a demon, put into a coma and than died. Goddamn, Whedon.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
MoS I did not mind as much as others did. But I didnt see it as particularly smart either.
BvS tried to be clever too in some ways, but the plot structure (and Lex Luthor) did it no favors.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Watchmen is also fine in my book, even if the movie's ending I do agree is inferior. Havent seen the show, but I imagine it being a show allowed it to spend more time on developing towards that ending?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Clearly you wish upon death if you stuff Charles Bronsons family members or friends in a fridge.

Cleretic posted:

Basically the only thing I'll ever grant Snyder in terms of actual storytelling is that I actually do get why he moved away from the giant squid, and I think the approach they ended up going with was better for the movie. The giant squid works in the comics because, while it does come off as just completely absurd, they had the space to subtly pave the way towards it so that it doesn't come off as a complete non-sequitir. But because they had to cut a few things out to make the movie adaptation not a billion hours long, it actually works fairly well to replace the giant squid with 'I'm gonna nuke a city and blame Doctor Manhattan'.

But since we're talking about Zack 'Four-Hour Justice League Movie' Snyder, I suspect that bit of plot streamlining wasn't his idea.

The one thing I did wish the movie still kept was the aftermath of the explosion.
Because it just feels to sterile and bloodless.. and this coming from Zach Snyder who added gore to a lot of other scenes

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly airing Dark Angel and Angel around the same time is just asking for confusion.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
SFDebris did a nice review on that episode once.
And at least Jessica Jones treated the guy with absolute mind control powers as horribly serious as it could be.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Meanwhile here I am waiting for yet another hilarious failed take on the Netherlands..
Looking at you Spiderman Far From Home

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Der Kyhe posted:

It was also competing at the time with Babylon 5, which had no luggage whatsoever from the earlier shows. And surprisingly, both ended up with a galaxy-wide war and how can you have war without meaningful casulties.

And yes, I know that B5 was fully written by Straczynski as four season, 60 episodes or so story arc before even the first episode was filmed and he was forced to later split stuff and add filler episodes which started to show towards the end of the series.

He had a 5season plan, but was told he would only get 4 seasons...
Then they gave him a 5th season anyway!!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Thaw is one of Voyagers best early episodes and yet its the one that could fit in just about any other trek show which says a lot.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also dont feel like 'black' fantasy variants were at first created with racist intentions.. Its just that mindset of "black looks cool and evil. And if it works for a dragon, why not a humanoid as well?".
(Granted, I think D&D is also moving away from always evil Black Dragons)

For a more problematic fantasy, I can already look at my own country's proud tradition of Zwarte Piet/Black Pete. What fun.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't that largely what racism means? A prejudice that becomes so ingrained its systemic? Like you can easily use 'black' as shorthand to tell someone that something is evil.

I could just be naïve here I suppose but I dont think 'darkness' as an evil concept started that way but more as an embodiment of the night and the unknown and all that stuff.
I dont deny that prejudices became a part of it along the way and that its just ingrained in many people now without them realizing it.

docbeard posted:

I'm reminded (in a good way) of the parts in Ben Aaronovich's Rivers of London where the protagonist has to occasionally tell his (well intentioned but much older) magic teacher not to call it "black magic".

That just reminds me that Black Magician became Dark Magician in the translated version of YGO.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah... good old Zwarte Piet

I was astonished to hear that my mom protested against it back in her time. And yet we stuck with it for so long.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Voyager I posted:

Family Guy feels like cheating in this thread given that it was insipid garbage at the time, even if the years have made its attempts at edginess much worse.

I liked the first 2/3 seasons before the cancellation break. But I dread going back to that now.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It may be childish, but I still laugh at the stairway scene in Scary Movie 1 (with the piano, the stairs being unreasonably long. the pushing grandma out of the way)

I dont remember much else from it besides some minor funny background events like 'Ghostface' clearing up his victims blood in clear eyesight of everyone else.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I remember them trying to counter the "all arabs are evil" vibe the show gave off by inserting 2 randos in one episode of season 4.
Sure they made some 'actual' muslim characters later on, but whoops halfway during the season one gets framed to be the mole and everyone buys it.

Perhaps I liked season 8 so much at the time because it was the only one that just embraced how horrible Jack Bauer really was.
(also it had a moderate role for Rami 'I dont want to be a terrorist again' Malek)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

John Murdoch posted:

Captain America punched Hitler for purely apolitical reasons.

Well Superman punched the KKK in a recent comic as well!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Most of what I remember from Xena and Hercules is just the wole Dahak/Hope storyline which built up a lot of awe for this new random villain only for him to not even last the whole season and get beaten after he transforms into a Power rangers costume.
(At least Hope killed Xena's son and gave us a musical episode!)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh I even have that comic, and the girl on the cover was like the stereotypical extreme antagonist feminist they had going on in those times.
I forgot about the ending but the moment that stuck with me was Asterix just hitting her in the eye out of frustration at one point and feeling guilty about it.
Very weird read.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
All I remember from the Phantom is that scifi 2040 cartoon which was pretty heavy for my kidbrain.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I guess Finn meeting a former stormtrooper and also being force sensitive can be considered 'ideas'

And they used the Rey/Kylo force dyad connection in some fun ways...

Thats about it I think.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Aramek posted:

I like the normal film ending because how do you top

"WELL I'M A MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE AND I'M BAD!"

Meanwhile the soundtrack also had the version that plays the ending where Seymour gets eaten and an abridged version of the final chorus. That must have been mighty confusing for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Tim Curry was everywhere
He was the most recurring villain on the Little Mermaid prequel series.
Which I had buried in my memories until today due to the youtube algorithm.