Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

post your total hours pplayed in poe. now.

I have 2 hours. Back in 2017. I've spent more time than that watching getting started in PoE videos this week...

I figure it's time to give this game a real try while I wait for D4 season 4 and for LE to improve on its excellent base. I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna play but it looks like there are a ton of good options. At least I'm used to following build guides in ARPG's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Imo pick a character archetype you enjoy and go from there.

Want to shoot things with a bow? Blow things up as a mage? Be a Necro lord with minions?

Chances are there is a build that will support the play style

That's the plan. I think I'll start with a witch and go from there. Was doing a blood warlock in LE and have done a ball lightning sorc and a necro in D4 so it seems like a good start for what I gravitate towards.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've made it to the mid 20's in act 2 so far. Barely any idea of what I'm doing, just trying to get the gems the guide says into things which hasn't been too difficult. Just got the next couple steps of gems, it'll be fun to see how they work when I get back home later.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have finally ascended! level 39 when I got out. Just been banging out all the quests so I'm massively out leveling things but I'm cool with that

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

What build did you end up playing? Grats on lab, my first clear ever took me quite a few tries lol

Doing DD elementalist. No DD yet of course but I think I've got the build around where it's supposed to be. I did just get a berek's respite ring which looks like it might work for the build while leveling since you're setting everything on fire. Can you sell uniques later if you use them?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

As-in sell them to other players? Yeah there's no bind-on-equip or anything like that in this game, you can buy or sell anything and everything. Berek's isn't super expensive so I wouldn't sweat it either way but it is still a drat fine leveling unique and I'm always happy to see one drop if I'm playing a relevant build

Sweet.

One more question that seems simple but I can't google. Can you just put non support gems in linked sockets and have them work normally? like I need a green and a blue socket but the only one I have happens to be linked kind of deal.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How soon are we likely to see a sale on shop stuff? Want to buy some stash tabs, don't want to buy them if there's gonna be a sale tomorrow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Cool, I can wait a few days.

Definitely starting to get squishier in act 5. Still kill poo poo instantly at least

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

Stash tabs are indeed on sale this weekend.

Bought a quad premium, map, and currency one. Anything else needed?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My favorite thing so far about this game is that I still have no loving clue what anyone is talking about at any given time. I know that comes with actually getting to the end game but talking about this game is like trying to read another language.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Second lab down in one try at 60. Still a bit squishy but this build is obviously working

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Switched to DD. Thought it might be too early but I'm doing alright.

The last room in the 3rd lab sucks rear end with the traps on the floor. I've made it there a couple times and died mainly because I get slowed or stopped and then splatted. Just gotta avoid some things I guess

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Tips to survive labs: Determination, bleed flask, stone golem, the pantheon node that gives you life flask charges, flame dash attached to faster casting, some kind of totem that can kill things while you move.

You should not be dying to traps. Ok dying to a juiced Izaro sometimes happens tho

It's more getting caught in the trap and then getting smashed. I definitely need to get flasks worked out though. Not used to having 5 of them that do different things that are important.

Also, just had to play loot tetris because I took something off to craft on it which put me below the dex threshold which also put another piece below its threshold. fun!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

In addition to the things Euphronius mentioned, make sure you're grabbing every available darkshrine, because "no traps in the last room" and "50% less damage from traps" are both available options

Haven't touched one of these yet. Had to google it because I hadn't seen one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

In addition to the things Euphronius mentioned, make sure you're grabbing every available darkshrine, because "no traps in the last room" and "50% less damage from traps" are both available options

But yeah, having some extra sources of life regen will make your life a lot less frustrating in lab

Got the "no traps in last room" and just blasted him. 10/10 would recommend again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
And campaign done! Now we play the game?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

Indeed, you finally beat the tutorial.

I'm guessing you'd already been spoiled about the Atlas based on the lack of "THERE'S ANOTHER PASSIVE TREE?!?!?!?!" reaction. (Been a while since we had one of those)

Yeah, I knew that was coming. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it though. Might watch Raxx's mapping video

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One day I'll read up on what I should be doing. For now I'm just running maps. I've done up to t3 yellows as I try to catch them all Some wild rear end events in some of them that I have no clue what is happening or what I should be doing. Just out here semi-rawdogging this stuff and it's fun so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How does gear progression work in this game? Am I waiting on things with the correct number of sockets and links to drop? Am I crafting them on with currencies or one of the apparently 45 crafting variations? The league starter build guide I'm following has a progression section but it's still a whole lot of gibberish. I've been doing mostly fine in early map tiers but I know my resistances are way too low and it's going to get rougher if I don't start upgrading things but it seems like I'm trapped by sockets/links and the lack of the currencies that let you gamble on those.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

If you're in trade, you're probably not waiting for the right base to just fall into your lap. 6L body armours are dirt cheap, provided you don't need a unique chest.

At low levels of risk/investment, a combination of Essences and the crafting bench can go a long way. That right there is 2 guaranteed mods.

Post your guide.

Can't post it at work as maxroll is blocked, but it's just the maxroll DD elementalist league starter guide.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frank Frank posted:

Both that and any amount of physical reflect instantly kill me.

What's the actual point of these type of modifiers outside of just making a map not doable?

Saw some discussion about it on beginner videos I watched, had one with something like 13% elemental reflection, thought "how bad can that be?" and blew myself up on my first cast. Just tossed in a different map after that. Now I know.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my first divine orb! Assuming it would be best to just sell it for the chaos orbs? I have like 30 of those so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Congrats, never gets old but never feels as good as your first one. Yeah you can break it down for the chaos or just blow the div on a single upgrade. What's your username so we can see your gear and stuff?

Pubbietears

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Looks like it's private

I’ll mess with it after I get off work tomorrow

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

What's your username so we can see your gear and stuff?

Here's the pobb link

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

...so, how much currency do you have? Because:

• Read the description of Shaper of Flames. Then look at the nodes leading up to Breath of Flames.
  • You going to do Uber Lab?
  • Vendor 40% worth of Fire-tagged gems along with a caster weapon to get a +1 to Fire Spell Skills weapon, craft Fire Damage Over Time Multiplier on it for a basically free DPS boost.
  • Fix your cold resistance and try to get your chaos resistance to >=0%.
  • Your flasks are trash. You should only have 1 Life flask, and for utility flasks get at least a Granite and a Quartz. There's no reason not to have a prefix and suffix on all of them. You'll want Bleed/CB Immunity, Increased Armour
  • Get your Pantheon sorted. Until you get some other form of ailment immunity, get Brine King as your major for freeze immunity and reduced chill, and either Shakari or Ralakesh as your minor, depending on whether bleeds or poisons are kill you more.
  • Your gear is pretty bad. You can get more resistances out of your rings, the implicit on your belt does nothing, you're getting 0 attributes out of your amulet, your boots are <30% movespeed, and you've got resists or suppression on your helm.
  • Read up on Eldritch implicits when you get your armour pieces more sorted. At this point probably wouldn't do more than toss Lesser Ichors/Embers at them, but you can get more Fire DoT, get Fire Exposure on hit allowing you to drop Wave of Conviction for Flame Surge and get some more suppression this way.

Your build isn't broken, it just needs some fairly modest gear upgrades.

I got my first divine last night! I have like 30 chaos outside of that. Definitely aware of the state of my stuff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

I don't think fknlow is on PS4 is he?

Nope, on PC.

Got some better flasks together, got the cold resist on my chest. All my passives are just straight out of the league starter guide.

e: oh, I should just sell the divine for chaos, right? That's what got this all started

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 13, 2024

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What the actual current divine to chaos ratio? Awakened poe shows around 240 but it looks like it's closer to 150 on the trade site but I know that it might be lowball stuff that no one answers to buy them cheap

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

Double-check your Awakened settings -- I'm pretty sure you have Standard selected as the League and not Necropolis.

This was the problem.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think my brain has finally accepted having to buy gear.

I don’t care for the atlas map and the overall lack of guides telling me where to put points though. I understand why, but it’s still overwhelming for a new player. I’m glad there’s more than one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For buying gear, do you aim for exactly what you need with links and socket colors or is the expectation that you get something decent and then gamble on them for colors/links?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WorldIndustries posted:

How far are you into unlocking the atlas? I liked this site and a few of their specific guides:

https://poe-atlas.com/early-map-farming/

But really you can just experiment yourself or type your favorite mechanic into youtube with 3.24 and probably find an interesting guide.

That one is basically what I started with. Kind of branched off in a few areas already. I'm not super far into the atlas yet though. Need one more T5 for completetion of those and the tiers before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Slowly making progress on my build. I have next week off so I should be able to dedicate a bit more time to playing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

Didn't even take my suggestion to make a +1 fire gem weapon, smdh

I transitioned to DD before I could really get that done.

Wuxi posted:

You definitely need a new weapon asap, your current one doesnt do anything besides give some cast speed for QoL

What's something not insanely expensive I should be aiming for? I have 2 div I think?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The window for the league mechanic blocking poo poo on the ground is dumb. And I'm not doing any of the crafting so my morgue is full and I'm not turning any of them into coffins either because :effort:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is "players can't regen life, mana, or energy shield" bugged? Because I can absolutely still regen energy shield in those maps. The ones where it's x% slower definitely have an effect on it though.

Got my first t16 map done! I beat the black star boss too, but the tentacle one wrecked me pretty hard. I have to stop doing those anyway as I've been stuck at 90 for a while due to dying... I also need money. Haven't gotten anything good in a while and my next build steps get more expensive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just want to say that I was unprepared for how much money I would set on fire burning essences trying to hit suppression on things.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Buy suppression fractured

All of those I've seen are like 4 div and up. I've found 4 total div so far.

Speaking of essences, if they're similar in price you just want to use the highest level one, right? The guide usually mentions screaming but the next tier up seems to be very similar in price for some of them.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 26, 2024

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

You can usually get a tier 2 fractured suppression roll for like 100c and make it work until you can afford perfect gear later (or reroll or whatever )

The cheapest t2 supreme spiked shield is still 3 div. I'll just have to farm up some stuff to progress. I'm at the point in the guide where it says things get expensive from here.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Last I checked suppression tattoos were 30c, so depending on your gear slot/stat needs you can make up the difference way under budget.

This is one of the 93 holdover mechanics I still haven't touched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The waves of balls on the searing exarch fight suck rear end. Glad he didn't cast it the last 15% or so on my last portal. Got that one and the eater of worlds down now.