Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

If my goal is to push depth in delve would I be better off with RF or Pconc? This is only my second league, I did cold dot for 3.17 and barely made it to red maps, my goal this time is to choose something a little more popular so that there's more handholding for the crafting/gearing strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

How do you get the crafts from betrayal? I want the life as ES on chest craft from Gravicius, but I don't really know how I go about getting it.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm using Vortex too. and Frostbite and Frost Bomb to get good single target. The guide and some other builds I saw on Ninja use brand recall so I dunno what they know that we dont.

The way brand recall is used in the build I did in 3.17 is for clearing comfort when you have long duration brands, you link it to cast when damage taken and your brands recall back and kill everything around you if you get hit.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

"I have like 800 fusions, how hard could it be to link a 25% quality bow?" - An idiot.
And that's how I got 0 fusions and 2 link bow. I've never tried end game-ish crafting in this game before and I don't like it. Took like 600 alts and I never saw T1 attack speed so I just took T2, just no fun, and I still have no bow and now I have to source a bunch of fusions.

Some day I will have my +4 bow.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah. I’m lvl 71 or 72 I forget which. I’ve been leaning on this thread hard to tell me if something is garbage and the only time I haven’t listened is heists which seem to consistently generate crazy good xp and loot. Maybe that’s just a thing for low level characters but Tibbs is my boy.

The thread doesn't like heists because they mostly want to run around blowing up screens of monsters in maps that are modified to be incredibly dense with monsters. Heist is super profitable, just a lot of people don't enjoy it. Also the most profitable way to do it is to kill almost nothing and sprint through the maps, which sucks. I really like heist, but not the "best" way to play it, so I also tend to avoid it now.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm looking for some build advice. I'm running Palsteron's Pathfinder Toxic Rain Ballista build, and I'm trying to figure out what I should do next.
Here's my PoB: https://pobb.in/LtjMIlPcKdRX PoB has a bug I guess where it doesn't calculate flasks right? Or I'm not configuring it correctly, but it correctly calculates my flask effect modifier at 60%, and then it multiplies 50% lightning resistance by 1.6 and gives me 65% lightning res. It's 80. I get 80 in game so it's capped there, so I added a custom thing to PoB to fix it.

I'm not totally loving the build. I can currently clear juiced T16s OK, and kill fully charged crucibles..OK. I die a lot though (not every map or anything, but I'm never going to level past 95 without paying for 5ways or whatever.) I do love the fact that all my utility flasks are permanently on though.

I'm wondering if I should keep investing into this build. My main concern is that I bought empower, swapped off of lifetap and crafted -mana cost onto both my rings, and tried to run around spending 20 mana to cast summon ballista with a mana pool of 80 and holy gently caress it was miserable. It worked, mainly because quillrain has +mana on hit so I could just hold down ensaring arrow to fill my mana bar if I needed to, but man it was not fun to play. With empower 3 the DPS difference between it and lifetap is basically 0, so I swapped back to lifetap and it's fine. But all the improvements to the build from here revolve around swapping to empower.

What I think I would need to do to make it feel good is drop bloodgrip and get an amulet that I could put -mana cost on (probably a +1 or +2 skill amulet with crafted -mana cost) and then get veiled modifiers on the rings so I'm at like -20+ mana instead of -12. At least be able to crap out all 6 ballista without going OOM and I guess it'd be ok.

I think it's probably ~15 divine to get it all done including finishing my bow, maybe more but not a ton more.

I have 15 divines if I bulk sell crap, but should I just swap to something else? I really want a more defensive build so would it be better to just farm up and put my money in a pile and try to swap to poison SRS or something involving a champion? I've quit the other 2 leagues I played by this point, so I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do after the league starter part, but I do want a stronger build and to try to finish more challenges and stuff.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

pork never goes bad posted:

There's also poison artillery ballista which should dot cap with your current gear and 15div.

I saw the zizaran thing on it, it looks really good, similar to TR ballista but better. Don't suppose you know of a guide or video of someone running it on PF cause I'm pretty new at figuring poo poo out on my own. Probably going to give it a shot regardless though, I have a thicket bow with the crucible passive stashed already.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Which are the easiest ubers for the challenge? I tried the level 85 shaper fight and it felt ..hard. I'm sure they're all going to feel hard though, but I may as well work on easier ones first.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

These patch notes. Pretty glad I didn't do the forge of titans poo poo when you had to run like 15 divs worth of crystalline geodes.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

lol, I bought ~6 crystalline geodes to complete this yesterday. Im probably done with the league so it doesnt matter but rip my Standard divines

If it makes you feel better, you still have to do the kill 10 rares/5 uniques in a crystalline geode, so it may have taken 6 to get that anyway.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Uber Cortex can be the easiest, depending on the mods that get rolled. Whichever one shoots out the block blobs leading to a teleport slam is a dickhead though.

If you're mobile and don't need to be in melee range Uber Eater isn't too bad (his default auto-attack can gently caress you up royally though).

Every time I've done Uber Exarch I've failed spectacularly because I suck at the boulder phase.

I've bought completions for the others so can't comment.

Thanks for this, I don't think I'd have tried Cortex otherwise, and it was pretty easy compared to the rest. I managed to kill uber shaper/exarch/cortex. I already had uber maven from buying my voidstone carry at the start of the league.

Finished up forge of the titans to get my 40/40 done, still took 3 crystalline geodes to get the rare/unique part, but it was a ton of igneous geodes to get the full 100/100 rares so the nerf helped a lot. This is the first league I've tried challenges, pretty fun. Really liked the poison artillery ballista build I ended up with. Not sure I'll start a bow build in the future though... Solid 500 something deaths, felt like 100 today from forge of the titans and trying to kill ubers. I learned a ton about the game doing a build that doesn't have a giant handholding guide to go with it though. Probably unfairly maligned Palsteron's TR ballista since I now realize I was doing several parts of it wrong.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

poemdexter posted:

How do I accomplish the crucible related challenge? I’m at 38/40 but I’ve already leveled 3 wands to the 5th node and mashed them together and both times got “node skills were altered” or whatever. It’s such a slog to power them up and then get nothing accomplished at the end. Do I even need to level them up fully to get the challenge done?

Get wands from Act 6 and Act 7, which you're probably doing. Level them to max in two crucibles, smash them. Took me like 20+ wands to get Upgrade, downgrade, mutated. Then get 2 uniques (I chose bitterdreams just because they're expensive enough people will actually sell them..) level them both to max. Take them to a primordial remnant that combines uniques, smash them together, that finishes ever extending evolution. Run more primordial remnants until you get the 10 rares/5 uniques challenges done. Run whatever the lower level map is called until you get 100 rares/50 uniques, that finishes towering titans.

ETA: You have to have them leveled until the last node in whatever you path you took, you should take the longest path just so you have more nodes that might change though.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

poemdexter posted:

I was using whatever was on the ground in my t16 maps which usually meant i83 so it took forever. I'll go pick up bunch of the act 6/7 wands.

A bunch of posts on reddit say to use act 6, but act 7 will also max in 2 crucibles if you're going to 100%, and I felt like the ilvl boost gave a higher chance to get higher tier nodes, which means more chance for them to downgrade. I got mutate/upgrade very quickly and then spent the next 20 wands or so trying to get something to downgrade. Could just be bad luck though, who knows.

Heist is 40 wings, so 10x4 wing blueprints. I love heist though so got that one done early.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

I try to interact with people as little as possible in Poe but what is the devs’ stance on scamming?

Same as eve.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Hey not sure if I asked this before - but is there any way to influence what atlas missions you receive from completing a map? I mean the "Atlas mission received from Niko/Kirac/whoever" upon map completion. Do certain maps yield missions for certain NPCs or is it just totally random?

There're 4 atlas nodes that branch immediately off the middle going up that let you choose a master to focus on, random otherwise though.

ETA: Not sure how it works on console, but here's a PC search for the compass you want for jun: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Crucible/QnJK9rRHw

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 5, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Kinda overly aggressive. TL:I has a gacha monetization system, which are pretty much inherently scummy, but I don't think it's as bad as even a regular gacha game tbh, or Diablo Immmortal, which asked me to give them money for more loot at the end of the first dungeon I finished at like level 12. I managed to pull plenty of spirits with the currency you get without buying stuff. That said if spending money on gacha games is an issue you have, probably don't play it. Also don't spend money on the gacha. (The gacha gives you pets that give you stat bonuses like +dmg/resists/quant, but you pull them for free and it's a pretty small difference between "I spent 2000 dollars on gacha" and "I spent 0 dollars on gacha")

Otherwise it's a pretty fun game, steals a ton from PoE. Plays really well on controller and on phone, you can definitely tell if you'll like it just trying it for free and the loot pickup stuff doesn't matter much at all, and you still have to stop and pick up anything chaos orb equivalent or better no matter how much money you give them. I'm enjoying it since I'm done with the PoE season.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Is there some trick to getting your favored maps to drop? I have jungle valley allocated to all 6 favored map nodes and I haven't had it drop in over a day running nothing but boosted 16s. I know about the shadow whatever atlas node that will make NOTHING but jungle valley drop, but it seems like something of a lovely deal since nothing else can drop and it's still not guaranteed to drop the map I want.

The bonus for adjacency kind of trumps everything else, so if you want jungle valley to drop you should run the maps adjacent to it: beach, crimson township, and thicket.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Yup, already have those. Thanks.

What a lot of people do, and admittedly these strats all revolve around having 4 voidstones so everything is T16, is pick a map next to the one they want to run that they don't mind running (I'd take beach here, but you do you) and then put 1 favorite slot on that with the rest on jungle valley. Then you can safely take singular focus and just run the adjacent map when you run out of your main map and you'll eventually build up a huge stockpile of both.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ZyrKx posted:

this isn't really the whole story

favouriting a map gives 10x weighting bonus, additive for each additional fave slot so 120x weight if you set 12 slots to one map

adjacency bonus is 4x weight

so if you have all voidstones so every map is t16 then with 6x fave slots on jungle valley approximately 60/160 of your map drops will be jungle valley if you aren't running an adjacent map

or approximately 240/340 if you run one of the adjacent maps

Hm, I mean you say that, but personally I rarely get map drops for my favored maps even with every favored slot unlocked unless I'm on an adjacent map, and basically every drop is that map if I'm adjacent, so I'm skeptical.

ETA: That's specific to this league, in the past I just slammed all my favorites onto a map and ran whatever and had a pile of them, but that did not happen in this league in my experience.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 17, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

I just spent the last 20 minutes farting around the online trade market and can’t seem to find primeval remnants. What category are they under? Surprised there isn’t a crucible category tbh. I only see crystalline geodes and igneous geodes.

Igneous geodes are the lower tier ones that you open to get a random map, crystalline geodes are the higher tier ones that you open to get a random map. Primordial remnants are the opened maps for the higher tier one, Primeval Remnant are the lower tier opened maps. Maybe no one is selling opened geodes on PS4? Might just have to buy some igneous geodes and see what you get, in my experience the chance to get one that lets you put a tree on a unique is pretty common.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Time to begin your new career as a lab runner Frank Frank.

The PoB also has a 3% mana reservation efficiency jewel socketed, maybe it's that?

ETA: Yeah I actually opened the build in PoB and if you drop that 3% jewel it can no longer fit the auras.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Honestly having your skills not work right because you linked them slightly wrong is just part of the PoE experience. Pretty sure it wasn't until my 3rd or 4th character that I actually had a fully working CwDT molten shell setup, even though I had it in my gloves for all of them.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

New to this thread and have a couple quick and probably dumb questions.

How do you "buy" rare equipment listed in builds? I've spent actual steam bucks on GGG to get tab slots for gems and such but afaict there is no way to outright buy things in the game. So are there outside auction things and then meetups to swap where you might get ripped off or something? Is there a newbie guide to doing this because build guides assume you know how to acquire rare exotic gear and all my stuff is found, rare and maybe one or two legendary things.

This post makes me kinda sad about the state of the game industry that you figured the guide wanted you to spend real money to get their recommended gear.

Here's a maxroll guide on how to use the trade website: https://maxroll.gg/poe/getting-started/trading-for-beginners

Here's the site itself for crucible: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Crucible

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Also there’s a thing people are doing in the trade market I don’t understand. I search for divines, find a guy selling one for a reasonable price, offer exactly what he’s asking and then wait. 2 hours later, the guy will reject my offer even though I literally gave him what he was asking for. If it only happened once, I’d write it off as a fluke but it has happened 4x now. I don’t get it. Am I supposed to tip or something? Wtf is the point of doing that? Just trolling/wasting my time on purpose?

They are trying to convince people to sell divines for that price, or less since people will undercut, they want to buy them for less than that, not sell.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

I want to do something with either bows or pets like a Necromancer next time around I think. Range would certainly make things safer.

Play palsteron's toxic rain ballista, unless something about it gets nerfed. He's going to update it for the next league he said and it was pretty smooth for a starter I thought. That said nothing about bows are safe in PoE, quite uh..the opposite.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

This calculator will tell you the most efficient way to get the colors you want for a given item.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 29, 2023

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

D4 is going to be a really different game, based on this league it'll just be good for GGG as it gets more people playing ARPGs which means more playing PoE. There's no way D4 holds the interest of the kind of person who's going to spend money on PoE for more than a couple weeks.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

My issue is that I have to be relatively close to the bosses to hurt them. That big double fire ring move she does (and kept spamming) made it impossible for me to get close enough to kill her quickly and it sorta snowballed from there.

You have more than a month, you could just swap to saboteur totem explode and bang out the ubers and the feared pretty easy. Or poison artillery ballista, but you'd have to make a new character for that (champ or PF probably.)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

There's a 6 gig patch on the regular client also, PoE 2 gonna drop during exilecon randomly.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3406424 apparently, brings the particle system from PoE 2 into PoE I guess.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Hot take but I feel like at some point they should try to show someone having fun playing. Ziz put a brave face on it, but that looked miserable.

Just trying to capture that elden ring crowd.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

queeb posted:

why is there gold in the game

The same as ruthless with gold, to buy other currencies mostly.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

PoE2 is going to be rough on release. The kind of game that PoE devs will have spent years developing with out any external influence is going to be ruthless taken to the max, and the players are going to have to spend years complaining about things to finally get the game to a decent state.

GGG knows that, we know that, and that is why PoE1 is sticking around. What GGG haven’t seem to factored in is the fact that the mere existence of PoE2 is going to create a mental block for a lot of players where if they don’t like 2.0, they aren’t going to return to 1.0 until 2.0 is fixed. If I don’t enjoy PoE2, I’d have to lose my mind to spend money on a supporters pack and put time into playing a half-assed league mechanic made for PoE1. I’ll just step away from PoE entirely until there are some compelling changes that make me want to give it another go,

Maybe? A lot of people play WoW classic and not retail, or D2 and not D4. I'm not saying the ideal state is they put out a lovely game and hope people play the old one while they fix it, but there're plenty of examples of it. Although all the ones I had are blizzard ones, most companies don't actually maintain their old games to see what would happen.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

I think Poe 1 will still be free but 2 is going to be 60$. Unless they said it would be free ?

If they keep 1 free people “can’t complain” about all the poo poo they bought for it

It's 100% free and you get to keep all the stuff you bought for 1..they said that a bunch of times.

Fake edit: That is your stuff from 1 transfers to 2, and vice versa even.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

is the league page up yet?

https://www.pathofexile.com/ancestor

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Crucible was my first go at PoE and I enjoyed it until the third(?) labyrinth. I think I died a few times then took a break for Diablo 4 beta. Every time I thought about logging back in to PoE I remembered that I was on labyrinth and decided to do anything else.

Despite that I'm now kind of burned out on D4 and watching the exilecon stream has me both excited for POE2 especially the new gem system and thinking of giving poe another try next league. Hopefully there's a build out there that lets you ignore or cheese those loving lever and trap rooms

Just overlevel them significantly and you can mostly ignore the traps, but do it before Kitava.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Not even that I just want them to just clear acts with gear a sane person would have at that point.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Mathil or someone dropped a rare, so there's no way you wouldn't at least have a rare weapon on by now, and some life rolls. I still want to play the game, but I definitely don't want to play this demo personally.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

The tiny team left working on PoE1 definitely showed over the last few leagues. With a year and a half to go until PoE2, GGG will need to shift resources towards PoE1 because D4 won't stay poo poo forever. D4 devs are spineless and have no vision, and will just give the community whatever they want, for better or worse, so if GGG think they can limp on until 2025 destroying, I mean reworking, 2 ascendancies per league, making balance changes that clearly were done without much/any play testing, they are going to have a bad time.

I feel like this was the wrong time to have Exilecon. We are a year out from the PoE2 beta, there was no new endgame expansion for PoE1 - they should have just done the usual league announcement stream and held off on Exilecon until they actually had something big that was imminent. Is PoE1 essentially finished with the Exarch/Eater being the last end game bosses? The closer we get to the release of PoE2, the less likely it would be that we are going to get new endgame content.

All in all a very weird move all round from GGG. Are Larian the only decently sized studio that doesn't seem intent on face planting repeatedly?

I think it's weird to make the entire con for your live service game about a game that doesn't come out for 1.5 years. That's a really long time, surely they could have teased the league after Ancestral as well or something, even mentioning that some kind of new end game bossing league was coming would go a long way to make people feel better. Also I feel like devs don't seem to get that as a player it feels really bad to know everything you're doing to support a game is going to a totally different game you might not even want to play.

I'm not saying PoE1 is dead or on life support, just agree that the presentation is not what I wanted. Also the only source for "Only 8 people working on PoE1 for years" has already recanted: https://twitter.com/balormage/status/1685228159304941568

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

It is strange that people are upset about two different games. I've never seen that criticism before in any other franchise.

I think people wouldn't like it if blizzard was like "Actually the next expansion of WoW is WoW 2, but we'll continue to develop WoW also, 3 new quests and a new vault boss coming in the next major patch for WoW, now let's look at WoW 2 coming in 2025..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

But poe2 isn't an expansion, it's an entirely new game. Like diablo 1,2,3,4, or any other numerous games.

Are you upset that they will support two games like WoW Classic and WoW retail? Or like Diablo 2 R or Diablo 4?

Your examples aren't live service games in any real sense. I think a lot of players want to feel that the game they're pouring their time and money into is also the game the developers are pouring their time and money into. I'm not particularly upset about what's happening, just not sure how people are confused that not everyone is like "Oh rad all these supporter packs are actually supporting a totally different game." PoE1 still a great game, and PoE2 looks like it'll be a great game so it's whatever. I'd just have preferred more information on the game I can play and less on the game that comes out in 1.5 years. Making every panel about PoE2 built up this hype that it was actually coming soon, when it isn't.