Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

As someone completely new to PoE outside of getting a couple characters to level ten over the last decade, reading this thread might as well be reading another language. Is there a good text-based “Welcome to PoE” guide that is goon recommended?

After many attempts have resulted in it not clicking for me, I tried again as a caustic arrow into toxic rain build for this league and am having a blast as of the start of act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Noper Q posted:

A lot of really helpful advice

Hey thank you, this is very helpful! Glad my instinct of “boots are for movespeed” from other ARPGs isn’t wrong here. I am following a build guide, at least for the passive tree and skills. Some of the equipment it’s saying I should have is hard to come by (not uniques, just some specific base item types) but I’m assuming that since I’m just leveling up in act 2, I can solve this problem by not caring for now.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Which guide? We can tell you if it sucks or not.

Can’t link on my phone as the building wifi is garbage at work, but it’s from the PoEBuilds Reddit season starters list. I was hoping that a season starter build would be adequate until I get comfortable.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

https://pobb.in/o8RSAVtgPKUT This is the season starter build that I found and started using. Any glaring problems?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

I do see why you might've been confused about the gear because "Early Game" is "beat the campaign", not "Act 2".

Yup, that was a big part of my confusion. Still working through Act 2. gently caress The Weaver. It wasn't hard, it was big and terrifying because I am the most arachnaphobic.

Crafted a bow with +physical damage and hahahaha I am shredding things even faster. Looking forward to getting to spend some serious time with the game over the next couple weeks, especially during my winter break.

Question that I assume I know the answer to, but a quick google just gives me facts about the gem : does the Damage on Full Life Support gem work when I've taken energy shield damage, but not health? I assume it does from the wording, but like I said, I can't find confirmation of that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So having spent about 20 hours playing this past week, thought I would do a brain dump of my thoughts about the game so far.

-I really, really like the moment to moment gameplay. Clicking mobs feels good, the pace feels good, packs of mobs are everywhere and also seem to give good experience. Just really enjoyable overall
-I have noticed that I do feel more powerful as I progress, much more so than in D4. Again, I'm running a Toxic Rain league starter, and just got to the point where I now set up some toxic ballistae to go alongside me and things just melt.
-The passive tree isn't as intimidating as I thought it would be (although following the guide certainly helps). Basically, it seems like you pick a goal and then go for the nodes that enable that, which I realize sounds incredibly obvious but that tree does look pretty intimidating at first glance.
-I am sure that if I took the time, I would enjoy the story that seems to be there. But it is incredibly difficult for me to want to slow down and read everything when there are packs of monsters to kill.
-Loot filters are extremely helpful, especially as someone so new. Having an indication that "Hey jackass pick this up" is very nice, same for "Ignore me, I'm worthless".
-Investing early on in a currency stash tab was an excellent decision, as was a gem tab. Keeping my storage organized is a whole minigame for me, these help immensely
-Oh my god I get to decorate a home base that alone will add several hundred hours

I do have a couple of questions:

-I've gotten a few corrupted items from somewhere (armor as well as Vaal gems). From my reading around, it looks like a corrupted item just has different (more powerful?) affixes on them, while gems have a secondary ability that you need souls for? There isn't a downside to using them, is there?
-Should I be identifying things that I know I'm going to sell, or does it not matter? I haven't been, unless it's something that I feel might be outdated and in need of replacement.
-Am I gimping myself by not being in a guild?
-While I'm sure it exists somewhere, I haven't seen any advertisements for RMT stuff in the global chat. Is this a game where they actually moderate these things? If so, can I give them a list of other games to moderate please?

Overall, having now started to figure it out, I can absolutely see why it is so popular and how it has had the longevity it has. I'm really glad I finally took the time to give it a fair shot. Halfway through Act 4 and loving it!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

External Organs posted:

You can tell they put a lot of thought into the game lore. The game is even well voice acted.

I still don't know the ideal way to deliver that lore in this genre, when all I want to do is explode packs of angry cocaine crabs.

Right? If the text boxes would scroll faster I would be more apt to care. I will definitely check out that video though

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Magus42 posted:

You can scroll them faster with your mousewheel

For some reason this moves at a pace only slightly faster than the normal text crawl. But I’m also very picky about reading speed (basically if it isn’t instant I am too impatient), so this could easily be a me thing.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Newbie update one month-ish in:

-I got my Toxic Rain pathfinder up to maps, and ran through about tier 6 before my alt-itis hit
-Next I tried a RF chieftain “Your damage is running around” build, which was an absolute blast to play and I will definitely keep working on, but for now I am distracted by…
-My one true love in ARPG games, a necromancer minions build. Running around with a horde of zombies/spectres/a golem/skitterbots (with profane proxy)/skeletons is some of the most fun I’ve had in a game ever. Finished the campaign last night and tried to jump into doing some heists that I got from my other characters that were at level, and yeah a little tough to complete when my resistances aren’t capped and some of my other gear is woefully outdated. So that will be the goal for the next while, getting that character as geared out as possible. Vaal Skeletons is hilariously fun; I love that the big cooldown is “summon 30 more skeletons at once”. Are any of the cosmetics for the undead summons super cool?

Still loving this game, glad I finally spent the time to start learning it.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

I think the Celestial skins are pretty cool.

You are correct, I will be snagging that when I get home.

Also LOL at starting Me, who was extremely concerned that I would always be short on identify scrolls.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

euphronius posted:

Poe 2 looks good but i have a feeling it’s going to get negative reviews on launch

There is no way that the servers will handle it when it launches, so that alone will cause a flood of negative reviews regardless of gameplay.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

With last league being the first time I was actually able to somewhat understand what was going and get into maps (with multiple characters no less!), I now face the prospect of having to decide on a league starter for a new league. For affliction, the main builds I played were:

-Toxic Rain Pathfinder
-RF Chieftain
-Zoomancer

I really enjoyed the RF Chieftain and the Zoomancer, with the TR pathfinder being a good first character but not something that really held my interest. I'd like to try something different, at least for my first character (I am positive I will end up playing a zoomancer in every league because I really like that playstyle but want to branch out). This time, I'd be interested in something melee, which I am aware is pretty difficult at the top end, or totem based, which seems really neat. Any suggestions for builds to explore in the melee or totem realms?

Also, I didn't play affliction on launch, I started like 5 days after. On the day of the league starting, how much of a shitshow are the servers? Like, slight pain in the rear end, or "good luck actually playing" level of hosed?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After reading everything in this thread and spending several hours on maxroll, I’m thinking that Ice Trap Trickster is probably going to be my league start, with splitting steel champ as the backup plan if I hate mines.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Really important thing to highlight: traps aren't mines. Both are proxies you throw out that deal damage, but they have a fair number of gameplay differences. Traps cost mana, can be thrown from a distance, detonate when a monster walks over them (unless you have a Sunblast) and don't have any effect that scale with the number of traps out. Mines reserve mana, can only be placed at your feet, have to be manually detonated (unless you pick up the Mastery that detonates them as you walk) and have some effect that scales with the number of mines placed.

Odds are if you hate one you'll hate the other but if you're just annoyed by one the other you might find more suitable.

Ahhh they aren’t interchangeable, good to know. I like the idea of throwing traps everywhere and seeing things explode (or freeze in this case), so I should be good. Thanks

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Tai posted:

Ice trap is super safe. It's very quick to start chilling and freeezing stuff. It's not omgwtf clear mode or a 2 second boss killer but it makes bossing and killing ripey yellows safe. It's an awesome delver too for those long chains and ilvl83 cities. It's very rare to die as an Ice trapper.

Born in the shadows and Pyromaniac are good defensive layers. Get these before you enter maps

The maxroll guide has it as Trickster, not Sab. It looks like it might be for energy shield purposes? Think it’s worth staying trickster or going sab? Sab seems like it fits traps a lot better, but I’m not qualified to make that decision

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Red Red Blue posted:

The sabo rework a few leagues ago absolutely blasted the good trap node so it isn't the obvious choice for a trapper anymore. I'm not familiar with that guide but if it's going trickster there's probably a good reason for it

Awesome, guide on second monitor game on first. Appreciate all the help and advice. May everyone’s drops be excellent, and may they sell them to me later on for cheap

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Meanwhile in relative newbie news, I made it to my first ascendancy points following the Ice Trap Trickster build. So far the guide has been incredibly easy to follow, and going from stormblast mine -> lightning trap -> ice trap (with the pretty flower mtx) has been a blast. Can definitely tell I will enjoy this build. So far my only close call has been when the edible kicked in right after the first Izaro fight. Looking forward to blasting through the rest of the acts as much as I can tomorrow.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So I started an alt, Boneshatter Jugg from the PoEVault website, and I do not think I have ever had so much fun playing a character class in an ARPG. Just got to act 8 and am absolutely shredding everything. I have seen the face of God, and it is swinging a big rear end axe into the faces of everything while laughing at what they do to him.

Also, never speak to my large mimic son or me again.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Switched from ice trap trickster to hexblast mines sab and holy poo poo. Everything just melts. It’s incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah I'm playing a hexblast mines trickster and it's pretty nuts. Actually allowed me to kill UE which I can only do with the most broken of builds

This is only my second season so I’ve never made it that far (last season I lost interest just after getting into red maps), but I’m cautiously optimistic about going further with this build