Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

what about flame thrower traps for delve?

I dont know if i can stomach arc traps one more time, and wand witch is super fun but guaranteed to get raped in the mines, so im looking for a starter that can actually do league content.

Do arc totems instead :haw:

So, I actually just started playing PoE in earnest during this league (I tried it once ~3 years ago and it didn't stick) and I've generally been doing HC but gently caress man I'm probably not going to do that for Delve. I've always liked the idea of a real consequence for messing up, but it's one thing if you rip on maps because you can get back there relatively quickly and you'll have accrued currency to get back there, but I would hate to get really far into the mines and then lose a character. That seems like potentially way too much time lost. They did mention the "catch up" mechanics in that FAQ post so I'll be curious to see what that looks like, and that may make me swap back to HC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

1. Difficulty spikes and/or death out of nowhere. Like, you build a character with multiple defense layers, and you feel completely safe and you're smashing through content, and then boom, out of nowhere you're dead. I know some of these situations can be avoided if I git gud, but I can't be the only person with this problem, right?
I didn't really have this problem in spite of playing hardcore incursion as basically my first foray into the game. Yeah I ripped my first few characters before even hitting maps but it wasn't a surprise for most of them (I will say, "The Burning Man" in the mines right before Belly of the Beast in Act IV definitely got me with his corpse explosion out of nowhere). Granted, I did have some vets helping me out by letting me know to get gear with +life and keeping my resistances capped, and I was playing intentionally safe/slow because it was hardcore.

quote:

2. Re-coloring sockets. I know this is ingrained into the economy, but I dislike it. Getting certain color combinations or trying out different skill gem combinations, especially in "off-color" gear, can be prohibitively expensive. I wish they'd make this more forgiving.
You know about the Vorici Calc tool right? It doesn't make things any less expensive really, just lets you know what your best odds are, because sometimes it's not necessarily what you might think.

quote:

3. On-character inventory space. I wish they'd double on-character inventory space.
4. I hate having to choose between clicking to pick something up or leaving it on the ground to rot. Some type of auto-loot mechanic for currency and scrolls would be nice.
I doubt these change any time soon if at all ever. I mean, the Delve stuff will have the crawler auto-looting for you but that's because the whole mechanics different and you don't ever really have a safe spot to go pick stuff up.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Awesome! posted:

from now on the only uniques im putting in there are bitterdreams

I'll never understand why they did what they did with vendoring Bitterdream. Or, specifically, I will never understand why they did it with ONLY Bitterdream. It would be kind of cool to have an option of vendoring things that have "Supported by X" give you the gem for X, maybe only at one specific vendor so as not to be really annoying. But to only do it for one item is just ... perplexing.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

JFc these mines have lots of loot. Just the physical amount of armors and poo poo on ground is staggering..

I honestly thought Delve introduced a bug in the game where I couldn't drop things out of my inventory at the end of some delve runs. Turns out there was literally so much poo poo on the ground there was no place for it to go (of course like 95% of it is filtered out, though my screen is still chock full of stuff to pick up), so if I just ran back up the tunnel a few feet I could drop stuff quite easily.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Locator posted:

Before this league I have never once had a natural 6L drop. This league on my starter character around depth 75 in a delve, I had 3 6L's drop inside of an hour. They were all completely garbage, but they were 6L. I've of course never seen one since on my 2nd character and will never see one again.

Must have gotten a good seed

:goonsay:

(and for a smaller bit of anecdotal evidence, I've probably got a few hundred hours of play and I've had like 8-10 exalt drops and 0 6L drops that weren't Tabulas)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Groupo/Guild Self-Found would actually be kinda neat, but no point in fracturing things further I guess

(and yeah I get that it's a joke)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I really really really wish you could queue up actions in this game. When I first started playing I was surprised it wasn't an option given the delay for some animations, but I've numbed myself to its absence I guess. Making things instant cast in this last go-round of patches helps but queuing would be so nice.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

lol if you don't have the most spartan and efficient hideout layout possible

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The story is more or less cobbled together on the wiki.

It's ... extensive.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lore

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

To clarify, the library is a zone in act 3 but there are no official quests sending you there. When you zone in you get a quest, and when that is done the quest giver sells every gem.

And Siosa (that NPC that sells them) is a real jerk and doesn't understand why stashes are super convenient, so if you're going to buy anything from him make sure you bring the right currency in your inventory :mad:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Best Incursion NPC was the always-just-off-screen Justin Time

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a long running PoE joke that some items are just easier to 6-link than others.

Must have gotten a bad fusing seed on account creation

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tai posted:

Is that really I thing or just one of those game myths.

Yeah it was poking fun at the reddit (and maybe also the poe forums?) mindset of thinking that bad RNG is some sort of fated thing because the game hates them.

FWIW I got a good seed, got my first 6L in ~350 or so fusings (though it did take almost twice as many Jeweler's to even 6-socket it)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Delve and Incursion are in core now :stonk:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kalsco posted:

Loving the master rework just being dumpstering it wholesale.
It kind of needed to be dumpstered, so yay for that. The new interface looks pretty good.

I'm glad master leveling is gone for unlocking this stuff, but I reserve judgment on whether or not the new way is any good. If nothing else it will have "plannable" going for it, ie, you can decide "I want X master craft option, I must work towards Y".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So I guess Incursion is just back as-is then?

Though I suppose she probably won't be in every area like she was during the league, which makes it kind of .. awkward. If there's a way to get Incursions-on-Demand that'd be neat, the Guatelitzi prefix was so nice I wants it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I love that the league UI is pictures on corkboard tied together with string.

Turns out the head of the syndicate is none other than Pepe Silvia.

Ray Calast, this name keeps comin' up over and over and over again. Every day Ray's mail's getting sent back to me. Ray Calast, Ray Calast, I look in the mail, this whole box is Ray Calast! So I say to myself I gotta find this guy. I gotta go up to his hideout, I gotta put his mail in the guy's goddamn hands! Otherwise he's never gonna get it, it's gonna keep coming back down here. So I go up to Ray's office and what do I find out, exile, what do I find out? There is no Ray Calast. The man does not exist, okay? So I decided, ohh poo poo, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper. There's no Ray Calast, you gotta be kidding me, I got boxes full of Ray! All right, so I start marching my way down to Nessa in H.R. and I knock on her door and I say, "Neeesssa, Neeesa! I gotta talk to you about Ray!" And when I open the door, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office. There is no Nessa in H.R. Exile, half the employees in this building have been made up. This office is a goddamn ghost town.

I didn't learn/realize until very recently that Pepe Silvia was Charlie's illiteracy confusing Pennsylvania

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Is that supposed to be jewel master crafting? Neato

e: oh, yeah flasks makes more sense but I couldn't tell from the thumbnail, nice

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 13, 2018

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ego Trip posted:

So, I guess this was a good week to pick up PoE?

I started in Incursion (the league before Delve) and at the time it was definitely the best time to pick up PoE

Then Delve came and it was also probably the best time to pick up PoE

Seems like this trend might continue, they keep topping themselves

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zenithe posted:

I missed incursion and bestiary, what's the go there?

Incursion was basically:

- find Alva and she invites you into an "incursion" inside a room in an ancient temple where you can murder mobs to get keys to open up pathways between the rooms, and also murder one of the two architects to determine what kind of room it is (or upgrade the existing room)
- many/most of the rooms affected the modifiers of the ancient temple itself (makes pack size bigger, adds tempests, ups monster move/attack speed, etc.)
- higher tier rooms contain more/better loot and...
- several top tier rooms (level 3, so upgraded twice) contained temple-specific "devices" that allowed you to do things with items to modify them

Rinse and repeat 11 times until your temple is fully built and then you go visit the temple and clear all the rooms. At the apex (peak) there's a unique boss that sometimes drops decent stuff.

And all this is happening with time travel by the way because it's in the past

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

homegroan build

very good typo, intentional or not

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I was reading about leagues and I can't believe all this Delve content is temporary :psyduck: I just thought it was a core part of the game. That was basically all I was doing last night, running through the delve content and getting yellow gear for my dude.

Also just so you know, since it's unclear that you do ... there are only two permanent leagues: Standard and Hardcore (okay, and also their Solo Self-Found (SSF) counterparts, so four permanent leagues)

Every other league is temporary for a period of time only, and any content specific to that league goes away after that time period. Delve is the current league and it will go away on December 4th, and when that happens your stuff (characters and stash) will get migrated into the appropriate permanent league (Delve HC -> Hardcore, Delve Standard -> Standard). When Betrayal starts, it will be time-boxed as well, and when the league is over it will also go to the relevant permanent league.

Its why you hear things like "league starter", they're builds that you can do without a boatload of currency to buy the uniques/rares that make the build really work. The economy of a league is very interesting in the first week or two because there are some major dips and rises as needs fluctuate and the currency/goods pool expands.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Okay, what's everyone's fresh joke character name reference templates:

- bee trail
- PoE: Immortal (Syndicate)
- Pepe Silvia
- something to do with Hillock running things
- conspiracy/QAnon

I've typically had boring character names but ... well now I'm bored of that

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Papercut posted:

Speaking of, do people even bother collecting essences? Last season I meticulously harvested them and traded them up to shrieking/deafening. In the end though I probably made like 50c total selling them after all that inventory management.

I use the low level ones on white two-stone rings early in the league to just try and land on something good, and then if they all suck I do the Prismatic Ring recipe (one of each of the three rare two-stones = one unID'd rare prismatic). Other than that yeah I will grab them just because the essence tab is so good and easy and they upgrade nicely.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I remember at some point there was mention of a Poet's Pen specific divination card, is that possibly in this release? I'd love to do a build with them but they're a little rich for me usually, and I imagine having a div card that will net them for you should drive the price down at least a little (depending on how rare the card drop is).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Noper Q posted:

I don't know how to say this without sounding condescending, so please understand that I'm just trying to give you accurate information:
There's a countdown at the top of pathofexile.com that tells you, down to the second, when the league will start.

And one on the game login screen

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

If you cast them out of range your character will try to move into range first. Either hold shift to attack/cast in place, or enable cast in place on the skill itself.

I wish there was a way to default to "don't move to cast skills" because I literally always change everything to that.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The crawler will stop if you're far enough away from it but that means you have to be in the darkness (unless I guess you have light radius way way way overbuffed for the depth you're at). But if you go diving down a branch mine during the initial crawl, the crawler will stop just outside the branch basically.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

What's the best way to grind to 90 in hardcore? So far I've been running white magic maps that I alt away any +damage mods on but these last three levels are looking like they'll be a slog.

This probably mixed with Delves that you are comfortable doing. Just don't go too deep and be mindful of area mods and/or particular node boss fights that might be difficult for you.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Does 8k ES CI make you tankier than Pyromanic + Tinkerskin with 6k life though?

There's also a trap build that uses Eldritch Battery as well, this build uses lightning trap but I don't think there's any reason you couldn't just use arc. Pretty much requires a Tinkerskin but those aren't that bad these days in terms of price. A guildmate of mine ran a variant of this with Fire Traps instead in Hardcore during Incursion league and got to 89 I think before he ripped.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Well pyromaniac still works with ES if you have ZO so probably. I had a CI trapper in incursion and it felt quite safe.

Ah yeah forgot about Zealot's Oath, I haven't done much with CI to be honest. Though I did first learn about Zealot's Oath on accident when I used that unique shield that has it as a passive if you haven't been hit recently, just as a leveling shield. That was interesting.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

They really should put them in the fragment tab because it's kind of a meh tab as it is. Of the specialized tabs, I think it's the least useful (if the essence tab didn't have the upgrade button though it'd be that one).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

boo_radley posted:

Counter-offer: What about an upgradeable map device, starts off with 2x2, then 3x3, finally 4x4.

e: just looked up the fragment tab, wtf is this noise :|

It's pretty but largely useless though you can at least stack Offerings in it :shobon:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

If youre only going to act 4 you will save a shitload of time and effort by getting a tabula rasa and just slotting in gems on any character.

Want to test totems? Throw it in a tabula and try killing stuff. Builds very rarely have truly gamechanging passives, maybe just rf. The rest of them are just damage building. You can learn exactly what a skill does by dicking around aquaduct lol.

What that WONT do is tell you how good something is. Thats something you level to max or punch into path of building.

Leveling 7 characters to a10 is a waste of time

I did 7 characters to lvl 83+ or so this league :ohdear:

e: at least I think it was that many:

1. Arc Trap Sabo as league starter to bootstrap myself for currency
2. Tri-Herald BV Elementalist
3. Ele Hit Totem Heiro
4. Whispering Ice Ascendant
5. Spectre/Phantasm Necro w/ lots of Chaos support
6.. Double-Strike Champ
7. CP Jugg
8. TR Pathfinder

Oh so it was 8

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 27, 2018

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

myDad posted:

These are all pretty solid for that guy that doesn’t know what to pick

Yeah and it was (specifically intended) as one of every class, since this is actually only my second league and I hadn't done a lot of bulds before since I joined Incursion a little late.

I even goofed around a bit with Bashtart's Spark Inquisitor and an Essence Drain Occultist as well, but didn't level those even to A10

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gonna have to buy the hamster ball discipline aura mtx now and put it on every character ever now.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I've been wanting to play with PPs but I need at least one for each hand and that was just too much for me to handle.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Maha posted:

Oh, I did. I kept CWDT at lvl 1 and just kept pumping the golem.

Will that let me go around with an overleveled golem?

until it dies, but CWDT will not trigger a gem if it is leveled past what it can support (at lvl 1 CWDT it's gems that require lvl 38 or lower)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I wonder if you could tweak SSF to have slightly different rules to make it less obviously bad for playing certain builds. Like, if you were to:

- up the odds on Orbs of Chance to make uniques and rares
- have vendors/masters randomly sell certain uniques (like ones that are rare drops and don't have other paths to get like prophecies/div cards)
- tweak divination card drop rates and/or prophecy drop rates
- maybe even add an SSF-specific node in Delve that allows you to get unique gear

you could make SSF pretty viable, though I don't know if they really want to encourage people to play SSF as much. If the group of folks I play with decides to take a league off at some point and I don't want to I might play SSF just to go through the same trial experience everyone else seems to do, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vasudus posted:

If you tweak drop rates there's no safeguards to prevent you from just putting it on a mule and migrating that character over to a trade league. You would have to disable that feature which is a big perk of SSF; if you get tired of the SSF gimmick you can migrate to trade league without issue.
Yeah I forgot you could migrate. I wonder if they did those things (and/or other things to make SSF more "viable", that was just off the top of my head) and disabled migration if it would make SSF more or less popular?