Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Motorex didn't use any loopholes to sell the cars, they did what you actually have to do to sell a car in the U.S.: have it crash & emission tested and have it meet all applicable standards. Crash testing involves destroying three cars (maybe more now that they test roof crush strength?), emission testing I don't know much about but I'm going to guess this costs a lot of money to hire the crash test facilities, etc., not to mention the 3+ cars you have to destroy. Motorex had to at least beef up the door & install 3 catalytic converters. I guess Motorex then faked the things they needed to do later on and the cars were seized, though not crushed, mercifully.

So yeah, you can get around the 25 year rule, you just have to basically do what a manufacturer does. The other way is if you're importing a model that is similar and already exists in the U.S., and the manufacturer certifies it will perform the same in crash testing as the equivalent U.S. model, etc, once you modify it to U.S. spec (bumpers, instrument cluster, etc).

You can read a bit about it and see the list of vehicles that people have gone through the process with here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

My question is why did somebody do this with a Chevrolet Cavalier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

I meant it in the sense that it's one of the very few ways to drive around a model that isn't legal to import yet under the 25 year rule. Besides I didn't say Motorex used loopholes :colbert:

I misread the sentence in the OP as saying Motorex used the loopholes, sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

I think they were using the paperwork for earlier models to import later ones? So fudging R32 approval to say it counted for R33s?

They used an R33 for testing and said it represented all 1990-1999 models. 96-98 R33 GTS & GTRs are still eligible for import as testing was done on a 96 model and those have airbags standard on both sides.

edit: GTS>Rs this must be an HTML code or something

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really want a Jay Leno style garage full of oddball Japanese vehicles, especially Mazdas. :]

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Femtosecond posted:

I... don't know what this is, but it's right hand drive!

In the U.S. these were sold as the Corolla All-Trac. It's an AE95 I believe and maybe called the Toyota Carib in Japan.

edit: I was a bit slow on that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

New Wrangler lol those things are over 30k now.

I'll be getting a sub 5k beach Jeep, so that means no a/c, no top and no doors at any time :)

I've daily driven a Wrangler before, not doing that again.

The 2018 JL Wrangler is supposed to be really easy to daily, haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

My dad had a ~73 Corona wagon, I'm surprised I haven't seen one in almost 20 years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Previa did have the seats that turn around and the third row that folds against the window. I don't know if they sold them with an icebox and it definitely didn't get cool pop up windows :[

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I saw a Nissan Figaro in Seattle today.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I seriously don't think I've ever bought a car that didn't need tires almost right away. I either have lovely luck or people just don't get tires when they're supposed too.

it's the latter

Yeah, on my old Mercedes they still had their whiskers but they're crap in the rain.

Also even buying a brand new Mazda they were pretty crappy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You won it? Jealous

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought you were keeping this secret joy between us :cry: hehe

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hot, humid as gently caress.

I thought all Japan is in the summer. Yikes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

If anyone cares I have been requesting info on 2-5 vehicles 3-4 days a week and this is not as easy as it looks. Kaker is making it look easy.

Anyways this sold for $660:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9Kv387lW2BkkYi.htm

What was it? The link doesn't work anymore.
I'm stupid, you can just click the link on the page. I need to learn to read.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there something mounted underneath the stereo there?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Saw this Mazda with a "Field Runner" decal, forgot what the model was so now I can't look it up. Anybody know? It did say 4wd.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

Third generation Mazda Bongo (or E-Series) van:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Bongo#Third_generation_(1983–1999)

Oh it is a Bongo. For some reason I thought it said something else. I was in a hurry to meet a friend or I would have looked more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any of you guys in Seattle? Spotted a nice Pajero getting a car wash.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah your experience has been a real wtf, total disappointment, but am excited for when you finally get it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

All the cool kids have hated Leno for a long time. Especially after how he hosed over Conan.

I didn't like when him and Chris Rock said Michael Vick didn't really do a real crime and caring about dogs is white people stuff... I don't remember the exact wording, you can find it on YouTube

Edit: well it's probably not on YouTube anymore.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Tacoma and Long Beach are jerks, imho.

Can you import to Seattle or does it have to go through Tacoma? Just curious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hell yes

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I've been waiting a while for GTR in LHD, but would I ever find one in such nice shape?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure someone out there has converted one but uh, they weren't ever sold in LHD were they? Ever?

Yeah they were sold in Europe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was talking about the Mazda Familia / 323 GTR, sorry, I got too excited to see the GTX and wasn't clear.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drool

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

So is the GTX FWD or AWD? Didn't Mazda have a FWD turbo BG as well?

No FWD turbo on that generation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oh that's kind of a bummer, I wouldn't mind a FWD turbo BG, just to avoid the AWD issues.

I made one when I was younger. Unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing and never really finished it. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Master cylinder behind the steering wheel. Rad

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spotted an X90 Toyota Chaser in a Woodinville, WA parking lot. It had some fantastical rims.

I don't think they had a Cressida in this generation model but basically it's like that, I think they were RWD with some of those famous Toyota I6s. Someone more knowledgeable please feel free to chime in.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 22, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if you can just swap sides on the Figaro. Those might be symmetrical.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

That accord wagon is my jam

We had the sedan as the Acura TSX. We did get the next generation wagon, although I don't see those much.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember they brought some Autobacs to southern California about 15 years ago, when Initial D / import culture was at a peak. Haven't looked to see if they're still around. I think the one I visited in Tokyo had a book section.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that a floppy disk drive under the coolant and fuel gauges? Also dog pics are good

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Does look way good, especially with the low mileage. For the US at least we did get these, or a version of them at least, called the Corolla All-Trac. And I can't spend the 3000+ USD this one will cost and sell it for a profit over here either without risking losing money so I only went as far as asking for a sheet translation. By all accounts it's really good though. If someone wanted one as a personal car I'd be all over it. For profit though ehhhhh.

Someone down the street from me has one (in fact there are a couple in this neighborhood) and he also has the earlier Tercel with I think the carb'd 1.3L ~63hp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

OK, so this is really a question about importing from Germany, but I figured the people in this thread would have a better sense about it than elsewhere. (Ironically I'm going to be in Japan before I end up in Germany.)

In the U.S., the Audi A6 was only offered with a manual transmission through the C5 model (2005.) In Germany, however, they continued to offer the manual trans; I want to import one of these newer models with a stickshift. My fantasy is to buy one, drive it around Germany, then import it. Is this dumb? Will it end up getting crushed? As far as I know it's otherwise the exact same car, and Audi used to offer a European Delivery service.

Not feasible, unless you want to pay lots of money to get that powertrain combo tested for the EPA. Safety (NHTSA) regulations could be met though, with modifications by a Registered Importer, at your expense.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren:Boss got his car delivered last night:siren:

I missed that bumper the first time you posted it. 5mph bumpers? Got you covered, yo. That's awesome. I love what looks like a factory cover for the winch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
15k km whaaaaaaaaat
Dang!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Was this ever rebadged as a Ford? I saw a scene in some Taiwanese soap my wife was watching where a little "cabover" truck had a Ford logo up front. I assumed it would have to be a company that Ford worked with.

Yeah I think J80 is what they called the truck.

Seems like Puerto Rico is the place to go if you like Mazdas, especially rotaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My friend sent me a pic of an R34 in the DFW area... One of the grandfathered Motorex cars?