Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Can't see this posted without reminding people the fuckwit was also sporting a tactical gladius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

vyelkin posted:

it happened like two days ago but i just remembered that trump stood up in front of a crowd of people and said "I'm not into golden showers"

Donald trump sends out emails to his supporters with messages that are formatted to look like tweets.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DemoneeHo posted:

Remember that time Hilary campaigned on being not Trump and didn't tell voters she would improve their lives?

But it was her turn

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

HootTheOwl posted:

Only the ending and the time after the surges were funny.
Oh and the terror tunnels

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

lil poopendorfer posted:

LMFAO this is a minor thing in the grand scheme of the Trump admin, but it perfectly encapsulates his weird style of speech and thinking

"I tested perfectly this morning ....... Meaning negative"

Luv our Pres :911:

Trump is literally incapable of saying anything bad about himself.

"Negative" is bad so he tied himself into knots trying to say he was covid negative but that it was a positive thing.

loving tragic little man.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The way he just stops for a moment and looks at the camera like he's saying "You guys sure you want me to be doing this right now? Welp, okay."

I can imagine the producer frantically waving him to go on from behind the camera because they know a classic moment when they see it.

Just loving slays me every time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Feldegast42 posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress happened here. So did he fake it or did it really happen or is it impossible to collapse that waveform

Either way his career got toasted, which is bad(?)

It was one of the most blatant cases of cops loving over a black man that didn't actually end with that man dead on the ground.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

wait what? I thought it was one of the most obviously fake & staged crimes ever and the cops actually figured out that it was fake and that’s why it was so funny?

Too tired to make an effort post right now, but I made this one back when the cops were first forced to release all their "evidence" which was nothing more than some blurry camera footage of a man, who could have been anyone, walking down a street late at night and, of course, the infamous footage of the two men they pinned the actual beating on buying winter clothes during a cold snap so severe that the Chicago river froze over.

quote:

Does anyone truly believe that the CPD cares so much about a gay black man being beaten that they would put 24 detectives on the case.

Also, the three cops the CPD sent to the initial report to interview Smollett had a combined 35 criminal allegations against them from members of the public and immediately demanded to look through Smollett's phone and banking records.

Then, after the charges were dropped, the CPD staged a protest on the stairs in front of the courthouse with (other) white supremacists.

And the reason they had to drop the charges is because the special prosecutor they put in place to railroad the charges through wasn't even licensed to practice law.

If you read everything released on the case, there's no other conclusion than Smollett was beaten by off-duty police officers who then called in their corrupt mates to run the investigation and ended up forcing two brothers to take the blame.

Also - never believe the police force which runs an off the books torture site when they accuse a black man of anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

lil poopendorfer posted:

If you have the energy later, an effort post would be appreciated. The whole thing is so weird and unlikely that I would totally think it was a hoax if not for the CPD involvement. A couple chuds were out on the north side in single digit temperatures at like 2am with rope handy and went after a black dude to tell him “this is maga country”?? Super fishy

Two CPD officers being the culprits is like the missing puzzle piece that Makes it all fit though lol.

Yeah, if you make the small leap that it was racist cops looking to gently caress someone over during the height of Trump fever, it all falls into place.

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: You can read all the police reports on the incident here.

tl;dr - Not a single report contains any actual evidence against Jussie. The only thing they have to try and show that Smollett arranged the attack himself were the interrogations of the Osundairo brothers.

Curiously, despite every attempt by the press and Smollett, the police have refused to release a single second of those interrogations.

Also, the Osundairo brothers are no longer cooperating with the police because when the CPD went to the brother's home they stole a whole bunch of their stuff, lol.

CPD gonna CPD.

----------------------------------------------------------

So, to recap what happened:

Jussie Smollett was walking at night and was attacked by two men who beat him so badly they broke a rib, roughed up his face, tied a noose around his neck and poured a caustic substance, possibly bleach, over him.

He went home and told two friends who were there what happened. He refused to call the police himself, but one of his friends decided to call them against his wishes.

So, the CPD sends out three detectives - not regular cops, detectives - who also happened to have a combined 35 criminal complaints against them from members of the public. Rather than listen to his attempts to explain what happened, they immediately demanded access to his phone and all his financial records.

The CPD ends up putting 24 detectives on the case. Again, not regular cops, but full blown detectives. 24 of them.

Eventually, the cops bring in two brothers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who knew Jussie from the TV show Empire and who he had paid $3500 to help him bulk up for another role. They eventually get the brothers to say Smollett had paid them that money to break his rib and pour bleach over his face (just what any actor would do - gently caress up their face).

Of course, the police have also refused to release any of the interview tapes with the brothers, despite every other police report on the matter being made public [see start of post]. Given how police always seem to magically leak the slightest bit of evidence to make minorities look bad, this alone is a huge red flag.

From reading all the police reports [see start of post] there's not a single thing there that points to Smollett setting up this huge con. The police found footage of Smollett's car in a parking garage. They have footage of a man they claim is Smollett walking along a road around the time of the attack. They have footage of two unidentified silhouetted men walking along a nearby street around the time of the attack. They have footage of the Osundairo brothers buying winter gear, including a balaclava right before the Polar Vortex hit Chicago. They claim to have footage of them buying rope, but I don't think it was ever released.

Also, despite the cops saying the Osundairos brought rope, no mention has ever been made whether the rope they purchased matches that tied into a noose around Smollett's neck. The fact they haven't been shouting that from the rooftops is pretty much proof that the rope the brothers brought wasn't a match.

Video of the brothers buying winter clothes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRp0bkbrKCg&t=210s

In all, not a single shred of physical evidence to show that (1) Smollett faked his own attack or that (2) the Osundairo brothers were actually involved. Everything the police say they have comes from their interrogation of the brothers - interrogations they have refused to release to the public.

This is the work of 24 detectives and that's the best they could come up with. Ask yourself when was the last time the CPD put 24 detectives on a case of a beating of a gay black man?

And the cops certainly weren't above outright intimidation. The attack on Smollett happened on the 29th of January. A month later, the cops execute a warrant on his person during a meeting between the cops and Smollett and his lawyer.

Also, kicking his lawyer out of the room and leaving Smollett alone with one of the detectives for an unknown length of time:

Just alone in the room with a cop after refusing to answer questions. All alone.

Nope, can't see anything wrong with that.

Things the police did not do: check the phone records of anyone in the area at the time of the attack. Not only would it have shown if the Osundairo were anywhere near the place, it could even be used to cross-check the numbers against know police offices, for instance.

drat shame not one of those 24 highly trained and experienced police detectives thought to do that, then.

So, moving on from the attack itself, we get to the legal fuckery. And this is where poo poo really gets wild.

I'll split this up into another post, because there was so much insane stuff going on with the arraignment and charges that it's going to take me a bit just to find it all.

But the big moments of the legal stuff were the police trying to use a prosecutor who wasn't even licensed to practice law to force through the charges against Smollett, with 17 counts of making false statements to police. They did this by taking Smollett's initial statement to police, chopping it up into single sentences and then using each individual sentence as a "false statement".

Also police offices protesting alongside open white supremacists when the charges were initially dropped.

Trying to force Smollett to pay for the cost of the investigation into his attack. Over $130,000. gently caress, imagine if the cops got away with that - no minority would ever report anything to the cops again. No woman would ever report a rape.

Oh, wait.

For the second rhetorical question of the night - who can remember the last time cops protested on a courthouse's step because charges against some were dropped? That didn't involve an attack or murder of a police officer?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

lil poopendorfer posted:

Do you have any idea why Smollett of all people got targeted? That’s the other thing that I’ve been puzzled by .. as unlikely as it is, “D-list actor seeking to reinvigorate his career” is sort of plausible If you squint.

Just bad luck, as far as anyone can tell. I mean, why was Ahmaud Arbery targeted and murdered?

I can only imagine you had two off duty cops driving around after a hard night's drinking and suddenly spot a black man walking alone on a quiet street. They must have thought it was Christmas. Then the call comes in that, oh poo poo, they beat up an actor who's on this big popular TV show.

Now what? So, they call in some favours and have three of Chicago's dirtiest cops take the case. They immediately go for his phone and finances, probably hoping for one of those racist gotchas like him doing drugs or wearing something that could be seen as gang related. Or listening to rap. Because they know if they can get something like that out to the public, their job is 99% done.

Just ask Trayvon Martin

Then, bingo, the cops find a $3500 payment to a couple of incredibly buff brothers who happen to be black.

Now all they have to do is threaten and terrorise them and promise them they'll never be charged if they "confess". And I can't even hate them for it. Their choice was either have their lives destroyed and maybe end up in one of the CPD's torture sites or say Smollett set the whole thing up knowing he'll probably not get anything more than a fine and some bad publicity.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he probably wasn't singled out. he was a black man out alone late at night and cpd are racist animals. then when it turned out that he was sort of a public figure the corrupt, incompetent brutes tried to cover their asses by making wild accusations and obfuscating everything. and it worked! the hoax narrative is still the prevalent story.

Yeah, this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

lil poopendorfer posted:

I don't think it was a random thing. Remember he got a threatening letter sent to him a week before the whole incident. THe rest of your theory is solid but this is a reach imo

Totes forgot about the letter, you're right. But that was all just off the top of my head for what might have happened.

What we know as fact, directly from the police reports, is that there is no evidence that anything the cops said happened actually did. There's only the statements of the two brothers who are no longer cooperating with the CPD because when the cops searched their home they also loving stole a bunch of their stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kurzon posted:

I honestly thought that Hillary would win in 2016 because a similar situation happened in France in 2002. French conservatives held their nose and voted for Jacques Chirac because he wasn't as terrible a human being as Jean Le Pen.

In what universe is Hillary a "middling centrist"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hand Knit posted:

Former mayor of Toronto Mel Lastman died. I'm pretty sure I posted about him earlier in this thread, but his obituary gave us this subtly very funny line:

The number of children is conspicuously omitted.

Did he eat his children or something? Why is it important?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Orange Devil posted:

Jehovah’s Witnesses have had so many failed doomsdays they’ve stopped giving a date.

They're also second only to the Catholic church when it comes to raping children and covering it up. Literally tens of thousands of cases.

Not so much "funny" but it's amazing how no one cared.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Everyone needs to watch this, it's absolutely surreal.

Palin waffles on in the foreground about pardoning a turkey while the bloke behind her stuffs them head first into a chute and cuts their throats.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she's mostly managed to convince herself that it was everyone else's fault

And that it was "her turn".

That the universe owed her the presidency because of how sheer loving privileged she was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Feldegast42 posted:

Libs thought Trump's tax returns were the magic bullet that when exposed would immediately end his campaign / presidency forever

Then the NYT got ahold of them, published some stories one day, and everyone moved on and forgot about them

Look everyone, Trump's a liar! See, he lied! Wait, what do you mean you don't care?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Bit harder to call Bernie an antisemite, but by god they would have given it their all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fukken lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Presto posted:

If someone in the future ever asks me what I remember about 2021, my answer will be, "for a while, respectable news sources were reporting on Nicki Minaj's friend's cousin's balls."

Weird, just mentioned this in another thread. That whole situation was just hilarious.

Minaj's husband was accused of sexual assault and her big idea about distracting everyone from that was to make up a story about her friend's cousin's balls.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

StashAugustine posted:

Obama's intervention in Syria and Libya was a big factor in convincing Putin that Bush wasn't a fluke and you can absolutely never trust the US to keep its word

Any politician.

You can never trust any politician.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Not even real politics, but Kanye making a "hologram" of Kim Kardashian's dad to have it call him the "most, most, most, most, most genius man in the whole world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0EvbAOCq8c&t=29s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
For reference, this is Xeni Jardin:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

sleeptalker posted:

The time Musk took too many drugs and tweeted some poo poo that triggered an SEC lawsuit, possibly because he was freaking out at the thought of having sex with a black woman (Azaelia Banks).

Also because he thought Grimes was going to be bringing home Iggy Azalea for him to bang.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ben shapino posted:

nappy-headed hoes

That was some guy calling a women's basketball match, wasn't it?

Just slipped out.

As it does.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Of all the "Poverbs" to choose. Here's the full verse without the second sentence removed:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

exmarx posted:

no idea/don't care about slashie's ethnicity, but it's worth mentioning that she helped convince lowtax to make km a mod in the first place

I think about all the times I've given someone the benefit of the doubt on this site and drat near every time they're been shown to be a terrible loving person.

poo poo, I'd even defended all three people in your post at one time or the other before it was rubbed in my face just how horrible they were.

I have just the worst loving judgement when it comes to people. My only defence is that I avoid the site drama threads like the plague so I never hear about this poo poo when it first comes out, I just merrily trundle along in blissful ignorance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

When the press found out Ocasio-Cortez was like 1/64th Jewish and every single news outlet ran with this image:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dmitri-9 posted:

Northam was smart, he knew it would blow over and no one would care in a week. And that was before the COVID era. Unfortunately a lot of bad people have adopted that strategy.

Aussie PM Scott Morrison is part of the Hillsong Church of fundie evangelical pseudo-scientologist fuckwits. He goes there all the time, has been photographed going there all the time, even tried to get their leader into a meeting between him and Trump.

Now, recently the leader of Hillsong has had to resign for "inappropriate relationships" and Scotty just came out and said it's nothing to do with him because he hasn't had anything to do with them for 15 years.

Just the most blatant of lies.

And he'll get away with it because the media does not give a poo poo. Murdoch owns this country's news media and, well, enough said really.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WHY BONER NOW posted:

And then emerged with no apparent self reflection over anything

It. Was. Her. Turn.

lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

Adam baldwin's you're welcome

Still makes me mad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Echo Chamber posted:

James O'Keefe had a barn where he did some seriously unfunny poo poo in there.

And his rape boat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Orange Devil posted:

In case anyone ever begins to feel an ounce of sympathy for Hillary, just think back to those book passages where she describes how she dealt with the slaves at the Arkansas governor's mansion.

"They were just so happy to serve us and, despite them being subhuman vermin, I never felt scared around them as they performed their work while watched by heavily armed prison guards ready to brutally punish any transgression."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Remember when half the forums went creepy horny over the little girl in that show?

Not SA's finest hour.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mawarannahr posted:

it’s very interesting you can post pictures of highly accomplished dead people if they’re fat old dudes but people lose their minds if they’re dead kids. great forum we got going here.

Beep boop people don't want to look at dead kids? Illogical!

:goonsay:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
'Your finger you fool'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Anyone who inflicts their lovely taste in music on others with crappy blue tooth speakers in public deserves to be beaten to death with iron bars.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Anime Liker posted:

It's still extremely hosed up that Hillary, a woman, is the first person ever to have to run against an opponent in a presidential primary.

It👏was👏her👏turn👏

Could someone translate the crazy here for me, please?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

StashAugustine posted:

He wrote an essay back in the 70s about how patriarchy fucks with our brains where one example was a woman who has fantasies about being raped. It's not like a great essay and that part didn't age super well but it's basically correct overall iirc

Isn't that also the reasoning behind the popularity of "bodice ripper" novels back then, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

indigi posted:

that lady testified that Trump lunged for the driver’s throat. I don’t believe Trump has “lunged” anywhere in at least two decades

also there’s a partition and a row of seats between him and the driver so I also don’t buy that he grabbed for the wheel

Can can anyone believe he threw his lunch at a wall? Trump hasn't thrown food away in a very long time.

Though the mental image of a streak of ketchup trailing down the wall is hilarious.