Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

that reminded me of when singapore arrested michael fay for vandalism and was going to cane him so the kids family tried to use the us media to drum up outrage and everyone collectively agreed that singapore was in the right and that he deserved to be beaten and then he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

DARPA’s self healing minefield

that was deep space nine or is this real

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Jerry Springer used to be the mayor of Cincinnati

until he paid for a prostitute with a personal check

cmon thats the best part

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and spent like 20 minutes reading along after being told lol

tbf id want to know what happened to the goats too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol i just remembered this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zegermans posted:

pretty normal for the RNC chairman to not know where Pakistan is

tbf it is far far away

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

No

"Corporations are people too" was a deeply repulsive stand to take and probably would have dogged him incessantly even if the rest of his campaign wasn't a series of unfortunate events

He actively antagonized 99% of the voting public with that one

that and "All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I laugh at this every time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GHWB hating broccoli

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I just remembered that during the public comment period on reversing net neutrality, the FCC received thousands and thousands of fraudulent messages supporting the idea from dead people and people who say they didn’t make the posts.

who did that? the telcos? the FCC itself? 𓂺 ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

while simultaneously not taking actual comments from the public claiming they were ddos'd that they now admit was entirely fabricated

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

not a cult posted:

this is cold as gently caress

and he picked him anyway

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kerry was never supposed to win

I understand that but my point is if you're Kerry why share the story at all when it makes you look like an idiot?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I remembered Tipper Gore, 2 Live Crew, and explicit lyric labels today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LOL I just remembered Obama's Beer Summit on Race

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

The best bit is that Clinton loving an intern led to Gore not winning the election (because he ran away from him in the general election which didn't help his already boring paste persona in an election decided by a few hundred votes) which led to Bush getting elected which led to 9/11 which lead to Iraq and the Great Recession which ultimately all culminated into TRUMP! (Who could write off being a rapist sex pest because of what old Slick Willy did)

Our current hellworld is mostly because Bill couldn't keep his dick in his pants

It's a completely wrong to suggest GWB had anything to do with the Great Recession. The mechanism that turned the housing bubble into a systemic collapse was at its root the repeal of Glass-Steagall which happened in 1999 under Clinton. What ended up happening was inevitable at that point, it was simply a matter of what was going to spark it. As soon as securities and commercial banks were allowed to merge, it was certain that the resulting entities would become too large to either regulate or allow to collapse.

It should be noted that Citibank was allowed to form a year before Glass-Steagall was repealed because the Clinton administration's FRB was creatively "reinterpreted" it. The Great Recession was directly caused by the Clinton administration any way you measure it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Was it a Time Magazine editor who said after either the OKC bombing or that guy flying a plane into that IRS building that "White people can't be terrorists"?

e: Thinking back it had to be after 9/11 because there was this huge thing in the media about how only middle easterners could ever do a terrorism

ClassActionFursuit has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Feb 16, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wow it's even worse in context what with a bunch of people dancing around it all agreeing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

The previous pope is not only still alive, but was the first pope to willingly resign in over 700 years, and lives in a converted former nunnery within the sovereign borders of the Vatican, which officials have said is at least partially to protect him from lawsuits.

I forgot all about Ratzinger LMAO

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

lol you really think this?

While I can't speak for Modest Mao, I think I agree with his meaning which is that Trump sounds like a normal guy and that's relatable in a way. Like Roosevelt, I personally can't listen to the guy because of the lying and factual inaccuracies, but I could definitely see where if I didn't care or know that he was lying that I could enjoy listening to him.

That said, asking Trump to read anything out loud would be torture since you know he wouldn't know half the words and he'd stumble all over them. I don't think he'd get through My Pet Goat much less a geology textbook.

I also can't agree with Obama seeming unrelatable because, well, he just isn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

I like how Joe Kennedy Jr. would have probably been president if he hadn't volunteered to fly massively unsafe B-17 drone bombs (Operation Aphrodite) that only ever ended up bombing Sweden and rural England.

lol this post reminded me that Ted Kennedy would've probably been president if he hadn't killed a girl

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

juche avocado posted:

iswear to god i won't be able to survive being told that's a misconception so pls dont :cry:

It's a lot more accurate and a lot less attributed than most theories about how we got to where we are. It's a defensible theory in my opinion, so don't feel bad, friend.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thump! posted:

arkansas is a government conspiracy, and anyone who ever claims to have been there was just driving through louisiana or missouri and had the government implanting memories into their brains

same thing with wyoming

I've said the same thing about Wyoming since I was like ten years old.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

I often laugh when I remember that those who perpetrated 9/11 achieved virtually all of their strategic aims and then some,

I was sitting on the sofa with the wife over the weekend playing videogames when I thought of this and laughed out loud. She asked what was so funny so I replied "9/11"

She thought that was weird so I asked her what she was thinking about and she said "That old YouTube of the kid screaming ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES so I guess in a way we were thinking of the same thing"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had no idea there was a photo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think about this often

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The subsequent framing of that as "gotcha journalism" when it was just an offhanded question meant to be as softball as it could possibly be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm trying to find the ten second 'NAME ONE loving PAPER' clip on youtube or anywhere but it looks like it's been scrubbed from the internet :(

What I like is that the question was intended to humanize her and it did just that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LOL I just remembered she didn't want to move into the WH at all

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mooyashi posted:

Gary Hart was all "ffs I'm not an adulterer follow me and see" for free press and whoopsy doodle

As this is one of my favorite trips to take down memory lane, I went to Wikipedia to read the tale but was disappointed to find that the word "monkey" did not appear on the page. How do you write anything about Gary Hartpence without naming the Monkey Business?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"George Bush doesn't care about black people."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TrilliontonNixon posted:

This one's a personal story, but during 2016 a coworker I talked politics with admitted that a part of him wanted to get a peek at the timeline where Trump actually did become president, because wouldn't that just be the craziest poo poo?

Lol this reminded me of Obama joking about the same during the White House Correspondent's Dinner

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LOL I just remembered when Hillary during the '08 primaries made up that she flew into Bosnia under sniper fire and then had to apologize and when she did, did so in her typical way of not admitting she was wrong and being obviously upset that she'd have to apologize for making anything up in the first place.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Peanut President posted:

you gotta post the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHO1vo762c

The apology acknowledgement I remembered is at the end but honestly all three minutes are worth watching. No idea why it shows the "video not here" preview, it plays inline just fine for me?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ScrubLeague posted:

the north korea-style military parade trump was planning for november 2017

This feels like decades ago

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So Math posted:

Scaramucci was Communications Director for all of a week. He's not Steve Bannon, he's not trying to suck his own cock.

This was so surreal that even in the moment it felt impossibly fake. It's like the toilet scene in Trainspotting where even in a film of heightened reality it wasn't unreal in the same way the rest of the film is and thus stood out as even more removed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Peanut President posted:

there was a player who said that boston has the most racist fans he's ever heard in his career which is impressive considering anaheim has a team

In the NBA it's well known that the most racist fans are Utah's.

Remulak posted:

if you think Boston is racist got to anyplace in suburban Detroit.

My wife is from Detroit and she took me to see the giant flower pots they put in the road to block outgoing traffic from Detroit (read: black people) from getting to the farmer's market while still allowing traffic to leave.

I've seen less explicit racism in the deep south.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

up until around a decade ago or so the big radio rating companies "measured" their data by having people keep notes about what they listened to

now they use an electronic device that detects what you're listening to using a mic, guess what that did to their numbers, particularly for am talk radio

Until this I didn't realize that it wasn't dairy-based in the prior post.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zegermans posted:

man I'll never forget the sinking feeling I got the first time I saw that gif

Nothing like the sinking feeling she had creating it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Third, and this is the really funny poo poo, when they did find out that they were wrong, they decided not to do anything about it, because they were afraid it might set off a panic that Dread Abuela was in trouble and might lose. Let that one sink in for a moment.

Given the democrats' reaction to losing one could argue that not wanting to deal with it at that point was the smarter move. If they react this way to actual reality, how well do you think they'd have accepted a prediction like that? I know what I'd have done in their shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Their reaction was understandable in the moment, I'll grant, but given how close the margins ended up being, it's indefensible in hindsight. The entire operation couldn't conceive of losing and everything they did was predicated on that. It's why they threw money into running up vote totals in solid blue areas that wouldn't affect the electoral college results.

I'd agree with you if there was any chance they'd have been listened to, but we both know (and you stated) that "the entire operation couldn't conceive of losing" and they would've been personally harmed for no benefit. Better to take the money and the L and just move on as some battles just aren't winnable.