Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

That’s actually just the most authentically Italian part of that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I recently bought both AC:O games for cheap and I decided to play through Origins first thinking that it was older and probably less improved upon. Feels kind of like the opposite vibe, not that it’ll prevent me from playing Odyssey, but is Odyssey really so bloated and aimless? I liked how Origins brought you to x and y part of the map and gave you a smattering of local side quests. But Odyssey sounds more like big sprawling side quests that disappear when you play main story. does that mean my annoying completion-y self will do all the side quests between main quests?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I would argue the one who killed Bayek’s son is the one who kidnapped(??) him and brought him to an underground tomb.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m finishing up rear end Creed Origins and I actually really appreciate the story they crafted between Bayek and Aya. Some points are contrived but for the most part it’s a pretty cool story of parents dealing with loss and how that can change a relationship (into Assassins)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Follow up, I’ve just finished Origins, put in about 50hrs. Should I go backwards and play Syndicate to switch up the gameplay a little or should I plow through to Odyssey? I’m a little worried about burnout with Odyssey considering it seems to have more of an explorathon than Origins.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Vincent posted:

Im finishing up AC: Syndicate (yes, I’m way behind on the franchise), and since I got AC Unity for free a couple of months ago, I wanted to ask you guy is if it’s worth playing. I remember that it was a mess of bugs when it came out, plus some micro transaction bullshit. I’d imagine that since it’s been years since it came out, those were ironed out, but since it’s Ubisoft we’re talking about, I’d rather ask.

mind posting your thoughts on the game when you get a chance? I'm tempted to go back to it over the newest installment just to gently caress around Londo.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yeah so I was actually gonna ask about the conquest battles. I roughly plan to side with Athens cuz Spartans are a loving backwards civilization full of rapists and stunted baby-men. So loving around Athens-controlled Phokis, I kill the leader, burn supplies, etc... and then go to win the conquest battle for Athens and then the region is just Athenian owned again.

So, like, is there virtually any significance at all? Could you stay in one region just flipping it back and forth with no real repercussions or rewards? Cuz if so, why would you waste the time at all?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ShakeZula posted:

Yep! It was the name Cordelia that tipped me off.

Honestly even if this game is 99% an Odyssey clone I'll be happy, I put 200 hours into Odyssey and loved every one of them. My biggest concern is that Eivor seems like kind of a super-serious downer compared to Kassandra, but we've really only seen her in battle so far so it's hard to judge.

Everything was so dark and grim and edgy.. will the sun shine in this game?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

gently caress

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I like the modern day stuff the way I like really lovely sci-fi books from the 60s. It’s not really *good* but it’s so hokey and corny while having some cool story beats that yeah, I get sucked into the AC wiki every so often, because the games do such an abominable job at even pretending to care about the overarching story.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Valhalla seems to be drifting even harder away from the stealth aspect of the series, from what I've seen. Have they mentioned stealth much at all?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Goddamnit do I really need to go read Far Cry story Wikipedia’s now? What made Far Cry 4’s ending so ridiculous?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I really feel all they have left for settings in China/Japan and then maybe Berlin/Stalingrad during WWII (I know one of the 2.5D games was there but damnit this sounds sick). I don’t think they’d ever give India a full game because it’s not the most western-attracting idea

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I agree all those history settings absolutely rule. Mongol empire game never happens because they didn’t really have stable cities. I can’t see gamers getting too amped up to help Assassin Martin Luther nail the 95 Theses to the Templar Order’s Church in Wittenberg.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gimme Reconquista Spain so I can fart around Alhambra tia Ubisoft

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Aya and Bayek even make kind of a big deal of seeing Alexander’s tomb. Though that may have been for Caesar?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

wow that looks really boring and the friend dude is very obviously going to be Bad Guy

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

doingitwrong posted:

I am excited for Vikings, I suppose. But hoping that next gen they can go back to Italy or do a proper India or China or some other excitingly lush environment. Make that foliage and cloth sing.

1099 Crusade remains top suggesting I've heard ITT.

I reckon they either do a WWII game or go to Asia (Japan probably)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

At least Syndicate had the good gumption to never make you play 21st century stuff, just relatively boring cutscenes before loving off back to Victorian London.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

More often then not when I Spartan Kicked people they would hit the invisible wall on the cliff and slide at 45 degree angles away from it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is Kyra the girl who you meet early on, collect legendary animal items for her, gently caress every time you bring her an item, and then her quest line ends with her demanding to die in combat with you?

Cuz Jesus Christ that was written by someone who has no idea how human interactions work

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Kuiperdolin posted:

Neytiri and the bald priest with never-explained scar who dresses like a Flinstone.

Origins rules and it doesn't not-rule because you can't remember any of the characters who they decide are important at the very end of the game. That game is about a man's journey across the desert trying to avenge his dead son and watches his marriage fall apart but he finds greater purpose in being Egyptian Sheriff guy. Bayek experiences an actual emotional journey.

Kassandra just like, wants to find her family? And then I guess get revenge for what the cult did to her family? it's been done a million times in video games and it's still contrived

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i do like that the DLC shows that jacobs whole gang and ideas just backfired even worse than you can possibly imagine.

Please explain!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Earwicker posted:

how much physical fitness do i have to do to telepathically communicate with a hawk or see enemies through walls :confused:

more than you’re doing

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wolfsheim posted:

What I appreciate about Ubisoft is the culture of entrenched misogyny fact that even when a game like Watch Dogs isn't really a huge hit they still keep on keeping on with updates and such. Like, in addition to expansions and such apparently they snuck a little Lovecraftian mystery into WD2 after release in a patch that gave you a secret outfit that let you kill people telekinetically? That I didn't learn about until like a month ago?

It's kind of commendable in the era of 'this game didnt do COD numbers the first week of sales, gently caress it no more patches' EA style of game development. I don't think WD has ever done super well especially next to AC or Far Cry but they just keep making them anyway :unsmith:

this kind of reasoning almost makes me want to support Legions, it looks like a cool game that's like an open world Hitman game, it could be really good, and it's not just another generic shooter / hack n slash

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

fuf posted:

just being like "gently caress it you're a viking raider" would be fine but we all know they're gonna come up with some ridiculous overwrought justification for why raiding the local population is actually good for them somehow

these peasants.. are templars... we must eliminate their source of protection..

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, Russia and India are locations I've wanted to see; however i'm a bit concerned that the 2.5d Chronicles games might be Ubisoft tossing us a scrap and saying "that's all you get" and we'll never get a proper game there.

That takes out China, India, and Russia. That really only leaves, what, Japan? As an ‘unexplored,’ yet well-known historical setting.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can’t imagine why you’d go play one of the worst parts of the last game as a warm up to the new game that will likely have nigh-identical gameplay

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

HookedOnChthonics posted:

yeah, my question is why the other game's baseline skillset is now the prestige raid leader guild reward legendary uber tier. the story also does not do near enough to thematically justify this--kassandra starts poor, sure, but is unmistakably portrayed as an unholy badass from the jump in a way her gameplay abilities do not back up (and side note, but once she gets a warship the story really can't pretend she needs money any more. it'd be like in modern context a character getting a controlling stake in a high-capital manufacturing business and then busking for pocket change; warships were by far the most expensive and technologically advanced and expensive single product any ancient society could produce. kassandra literally has at least 150 dudes at her beck and call in that boat. it's like being named captain of the starship enterprise and digging around in the captains chair for a few dollars to hit the 7/11)

very much trust me that it did not cheapen those earlier games to be able to drag dudes over balconies or assassinate any character, no questions asked, from stealth, and still also be 'specced' (lmao) for open combat

the other games did not lose anything at all, i m h o, from giving you that baseline level of ability, when the story is all about being someone who has that baseline level of ability.

I mean this with no animosity at all, these games (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla) may not be for you. If you haven't played anything since Brotherhood, I would go try to pick up Black Flag or Unity for cheap, those games still mostly preserve the ability to stealth and parkour and play as a historical hitman. In the past year I've played through Origins, Odyssey, Syndicate, Unity, and now Valhalla (~quarantine~) and while these last games are fantastic open world adventures, Unity is kind of the culmination of the "one big city, mostly stealth-focused" gameplay that you see forged in AC1.

also why the gently caress do you not get to keep any of the loot you get in vinland? not even the legendary animal pelt or whatever. dumb.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just defeated the Grand Master of the Order in Valhalla and the achievement didn’t unlock. Any way to knock sense into it?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rogue is supposed to be a better game than III, right? Might as well just play through every one of these sons of bitches while I'm on a tear, but both cost $30 at this point in time for some reason, so I'm trying to decide which.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wolfsheim posted:

At least one of them will go on sale for like $15 in the next month if you can hold off

I'm on Xbox, I haven't seen either go on sale for a year or so now. I think they stop remembering to put the old games on sale as time goes. There's a sale on Xbox right now and it's only Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Arivia posted:

If you buy the Odyssey complete edition you get some updated versions of III and Liberation included as DLC.

Yeah it's annoying because that seems like "bang-for-your-buck", get the Odyssey DLC, III, and Liberation - but Rogue seems to be the better game, and they're the same price right now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Also if Rebecca and Shaun were “watching Layla’s feed” like they reference a couple times, wouldn’t they know exactly who this new rear end in a top hat is

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, they'd know he's an ancient master assassin, but not that he condemned Layla to stay in Isu VR forever. Why would they care about him trying to kill some Viking - not even an assassin - thousand years ago?

I mean, Layla went into big spooky hall, and Basim came back, it doesn’t take a paranoiac to be suspicious of why this 1,000 yr old person came back and weird your friend who you sent in is dead/gone/never to be seen again

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Asnorban posted:

I was really hoping those patch notes would list "lowered the catch X fish quests by 80%". I was feeling pretty good about eventually 100%ing this, and then tried fishing for the first time. And nope.

If you’re looking for brown trout the little pond in Lincolnscire next to the big city, I can’t remember what it is, is teeming with brown trout.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DreadUnknown posted:

Basim also is probably being manipulated by Althea since he referred to the AI or whatever in the staff as "My beloved". I think he is supposed to be one of the Sages, similar to Blackbeard in Black Flag hiding as the IT guy.

I’m pretty sure that’s his wife/Angrboda maybe from Isu-Times. If you pay attention to the little voice clips that play at the end of animus anomalies, he’s very clearly talking and planning with someone to hijack the Aesir method of reincarnation, which we see him do at the end of the Animus Anomaly clips. So it’s more like, Althea figured out how to survive apocalypse by uploading herself into a staff and Loki figured it out by following Odin and the rest and now here we are however many thousand years later and these two have finally met back up.

Also on the Isu reincarnation, something I thought was really cool and didn’t get anywhere near enough attention was the rest of the asgardians who were reincarnated are farting around the 9th century with you. Halfdan is Thor, Faravid is Sif, Harland is Freyr, all these folk have the mark of the ancients on the back of the neck. That’s cool as hell. Even the main character of the Rigsaga that you collect is supposedly Heimdall reincarnated earlier than everyone else.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I found bullhead just about everywhere looking for brown trout but you can probably find them in the river in the west of Oxenefordscire?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wolfsheim posted:

According to someone who follows this more closely than me in the Jotunheim section the ice giants are all supposed to be interpretations of other Isu from previous games like Juno/etc also which is another neat idea even if it's an awkward retcon to make it 'fit'.

I read a pretty long theory on maybe reddit that all the Asgard/Jotunheim quests are Eivor trying to parse and interpret Odin's memories. So we see Asgard because that's what Eivor would contextualize it as but it's an Isu city full of Isu doing Isu things. The mead you have to steal from the Jotun is very clearly a stand-in for an Isu artifact like the Apple (may literally be the apple). So I think Jotun is probably where like Juno, Minerva, Angrboda/Althea were loving around and Eivor is contextualizing it all to be understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

moist turtleneck posted:

Just remembered this and it isn't a gripe but what happened to the apple that eivor gave the native americans?

play assassin's creed III and find out ;)