Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Also what are they realistically going to do about it, considering who this new "friend" is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The world is ending but they have time to set up a face to face meeting with their leader and the guy that double crosses everyone lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't understand why those people in the cabin are like totally cool with this person that's hanging out now in there by himself

well that person is unable to do anything other than read emails and wander around muttering a few remarks and if he tries to go anywhere he quickly runs into invisible walls, so it seems pretty safe

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't understand why he wanted to look at that squirrel so much either

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Also if Rebecca and Shaun were watching Laylas feed like they reference a couple times, wouldnt they know exactly who this new rear end in a top hat is

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Also if Rebecca and Shaun were “watching Layla’s feed” like they reference a couple times, wouldn’t they know exactly who this new rear end in a top hat is

They needed a coffee break, or something. Look, recording Animus streams takes up a lot of data and they can't record everything without a few hundred bucks worth of hardware and being an Assassin these days means working on a budget

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't know if we were really supposed to assume Shaun and Rebecca actually believed him or went to go talk to their boss out of lack of any other real options. I'm sure they'll gently caress it up soon enough but the way the ending leaves things is ambiguous enough that no one is acting particularly stupid (yet).

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The next Valhalla patch is coming tomorrow. Looks like they've addressed quite a few of the most common broken quests. They're also adding the river raid content and some new abilities including the long awaited return of berserk arrows!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oh cool, i forgot i was looking forward to river raids. still don't have a super clear sense of what it actually is, though

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Sandwolf posted:

Also if Rebecca and Shaun were watching Laylas feed like they reference a couple times, wouldnt they know exactly who this new rear end in a top hat is

Yeah, they'd know he's an ancient master assassin, but not that he condemned Layla to stay in Isu VR forever. Why would they care about him trying to kill some Viking - not even an assassin - thousand years ago?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

oh cool, i forgot i was looking forward to river raids. still don't have a super clear sense of what it actually is, though

this is the most specific info i could find

quote:

Ubisoft hasn't shared much in the way of specifics regarding River Raids mode just yet, but says it'll take adventurers to unexplored regions of the UK, spread across three new maps. Before embarking on raids, however, players are encouraged to construct the new Jomsviking Hall settlement building in order to recruit more Jomsvikings to bring along for support, with new loot, rewards, and challenges promised along the way.

from https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-15-assassins-creed-valhalla-gets-new-river-raids-mode-in-tomorrows-title-update

a handful of new skills as well

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'll try it, but I don't think a game mode that's being announced via patch notes is going to be a game changer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

New maps is interesting...I assumed it was just going to be repeatable raids that pop up on the main map but if it's more involved than that, that's a bonus (unless the new stuff is clunky and bad). Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, they'd know he's an ancient master assassin, but not that he condemned Layla to stay in Isu VR forever. Why would they care about him trying to kill some Viking - not even an assassin - thousand years ago?

I mean, Layla went into big spooky hall, and Basim came back, it doesnt take a paranoiac to be suspicious of why this 1,000 yr old person came back and weird your friend who you sent in is dead/gone/never to be seen again

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ilitarist posted:

Sandwolf posted:

I mean, Layla went into big spooky hall, and Basim came back, it doesn’t take a paranoiac to be suspicious of why this 1,000 yr old person came back and weird your friend who you sent in is dead/gone/never to be seen again

Did you guys see a different ending or something? Layla chose to stay in the Isu construct, and left a message to Shaun and Rebecca letting them know that. Basim is definitely a baddie, but she wasn't forced to stay in the construct, and no one is confused about where she went.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i started playing vahalla again. i like it overall once you get used to the combat differences. id love to see a Odyssey combat mixed with enemies variety of Valhalla with the quests/worldbuilding of origins.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1361477122708164609/photo/1

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1361476855921053699

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1361477292669730818

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Sandwolf posted:

I mean, Layla went into big spooky hall, and Basim came back, it doesnt take a paranoiac to be suspicious of why this 1,000 yr old person came back and weird your friend who you sent in is dead/gone/never to be seen again

Seeing a lot of ending things here. The world is saved at the end of the game. Layla shuts off or tunes down the device charging the magnetosphere. The Animus Crew loses contact with her when she enters, but she does send them a message after the fact that she's working on Important Things and to take care of themselves. Basim comes out, and Rebecca and Shaun are both aware that he's suspicious, but just what to do with him isn't easy to figure out; he tried to kill Eivor, but Eivor's been long dead. He was an Assassin, though, and they may or may not have figured out he's also a reincarnated Isu, and he's expressing a desire to work with them. What he wants and what he intends to do are mysteries, what he is is something which could tell them a lot about precursor sites and the like, and at the end of the day they're just two members of a specific team; of course they go to talk to their superior.

They clearly don't trust him, but they don't really have reason to try and crack his skull in (setting aside there's a good chance they couldn't even if they tried). It is very awkward.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ironslave posted:

Seeing a lot of ending things here. The world is saved at the end of the game. Layla shuts off or tunes down the device charging the magnetosphere. The Animus Crew loses contact with her when she enters, but she does send them a message after the fact that she's working on Important Things and to take care of themselves. Basim comes out, and Rebecca and Shaun are both aware that he's suspicious, but just what to do with him isn't easy to figure out; he tried to kill Eivor, but Eivor's been long dead. He was an Assassin, though, and they may or may not have figured out he's also a reincarnated Isu, and he's expressing a desire to work with them. What he wants and what he intends to do are mysteries, what he is is something which could tell them a lot about precursor sites and the like, and at the end of the day they're just two members of a specific team; of course they go to talk to their superior.

They clearly don't trust him, but they don't really have reason to try and crack his skull in (setting aside there's a good chance they couldn't even if they tried). It is very awkward.

I agree with this and in regards to what Rebecca and Shaun could even try to do I assume that the writers have completely forgotten they made both of them full-on acrobatic weapon-wielding assassins in Syndicate (and with good reason, that part is extremely lame)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you guys see a different ending or something? Layla chose to stay in the Isu construct, and left a message to Shaun and Rebecca letting them know that. Basim is definitely a baddie, but she wasn't forced to stay in the construct, and no one is confused about where she went.

She stayed willingly after being put in a position where she either lets Basim get the staff or lets the world die. Basim didn't tell her he's going to run away with the staff. The fact that Basim is reincarnated Isu is not that important cause he clearly doesn't want the world to die and half of the Valhalla cast are reincarnated Isu, it's not a big deal. We are suspicious of him because we WERE Eivor for dozens of hours, we know he is big bad because of ominous music and his wolf shirt. For other assassins, he's an ancient assassin/reincarnated Isu who had complicated relations with some Vikings/other reincarnated Isu..

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The thing that takes it from standard Isu plot stupid into mega-stupid is what incentive do we have to play from Eivor's perspective now, knowing the secret bad guy in the wolf shirt wins and is using the Animus to spy on their memories and vow vengeance or whatever. At least when you're playing from Layla's perspective there's the idea that she's gathering information that's going to make saving the world possible, what's the motivation to keep going now that it's Badactor Wolfman? And that Shaun and Rebecca are just totally A-OK with this random resurrected dude using some cutting-edge tech despite the Animus requiring some technical knowledge to use and taking a huge physical and mental toll on its host.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 16, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I agree it's no master plot, but come on, do you honestly put this twist in your list of top 10 dumb story points of AC Valhalla?.. It may not be properly explained but it sort of makes sense.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wait how do we know Basim is isu? I must have missed that part in all the bullshit. I did wonder how he knew about animus/bleeding effect though.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wait how do we know Basim is isu? I must have missed that part in all the bullshit. I did wonder how he knew about animus/bleeding effect though.

The only sidequest in the game has more to do with the plot than most of the main quests. You get some hints about Basim's nature there. But it might not be obvious: voice actors for some of the gods are the same as for 9 century characters. Basim talks about how someone killed his son and through visions we learn that Loki is sad about his son Fenrir. Basim, Sigurd, Eivor and shaman's mother all have Isu genes and Isu personalities influence them or something. Eivor eventually calms down his inner Odin but Basim seems to get overwhelmed by his inner Loki.

So technically he's not an Isu. He's certainly a human biologically and he still remembers his human life.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Basim also is probably being manipulated by Althea since he referred to the AI or whatever in the staff as "My beloved". I think he is supposed to be one of the Sages, similar to Blackbeard in Black Flag hiding as the IT guy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I was really hoping those patch notes would list "lowered the catch X fish quests by 80%". I was feeling pretty good about eventually 100%ing this, and then tried fishing for the first time. And nope.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ironslave posted:

The world is saved at the end of the game. Layla shuts off or tunes down the device charging the magnetosphere.

But the device was activated to save the world in the first place. Shutting it off perhaps bought some time but they all know it's not a permanent solution - that's what Layla is busy looking for at the end.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
She was going to reduce the output some, Sean and Rebecca actually dont really know what the machine is they just know Desmond did... something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I was really hoping those patch notes would list "lowered the catch X fish quests by 80%". I was feeling pretty good about eventually 100%ing this, and then tried fishing for the first time. And nope.

It's not as bad if you just hunt them with your bow, but that also sucks because it's hard to know exactly what a fish is going to be until you pick it up, the game doesn't hold your hand at all when it comes to finding and identifying the specific fish you're looking for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have never understood the fishing minigame and I never will.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fun fact:

Well, OK, fact : the fishing minigame uses the exact same mechanisms as the fishing minigame in the extremely forgettable and now discontinued smartphone spinoff rear end Creed Pirates.

As in real life, though, the most efficient way to fish is to walk in the shallow area of a pond with a spear and flail it around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I have never understood the fishing minigame and I never will.

I'm a sucker for fishing minigames, but Valhalla's is uniquely bad and unsatisfying, it's disappointing. Fortunately you never really need to do it outside of the fishing hut log (boring) or a handful of boring open world mysteries though so it's fine I guess

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i started playing vahalla again. i like it overall once you get used to the combat differences. id love to see a Odyssey combat mixed with enemies variety of Valhalla with the quests/worldbuilding of origins.

eh, Valhalla doesn't have much in the way of "enemy variety" past a certain point either.

imo enemies were overall better in Odyssey. some of them were too meat-spongey. but fighting Odyssey's mercenaries/bounty-hunters was way more fun than Valhalla's zealots.

also had way too many fights in Valhalla where npc's were just kind of standing around doing nothing - both my allies and the enemies. even after several patches

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I chumped every last Zealot with arrows and Odin's spear. Like it wasn't even a challenege at all.
Remember to go back into the cave where you fight Odin to find his spear, it's very worth it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm a sucker for fishing minigames, but Valhalla's is uniquely bad and unsatisfying, it's disappointing. Fortunately you never really need to do it outside of the fishing hut log (boring) or a handful of boring open world mysteries though so it's fine I guess

Do you actually get anything for fishing? I haven't touched the main story in months ever since hitting some "fish eels with Colbert" quest

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cosmetic boat stuff and tatoos, maybe a useless rune.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a fish that is so fuckin rare that PC players mod it into the game

I think it's the small sturgeon

One of the tricks to finding fish is to do Odin sight and then go into photo mode to look for an outline of the fish you need

The fishing in this game sucks, and I dunno why they didn't do it more similar to Far Cry 5

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a mystery quest where some singing lady tries to murder you, the pond where she hides bodies is absolutely loaded with fish to the point where you can just swing an axe around and kill a bunch.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Asnorban posted:

If youre looking for brown trout the little pond in Lincolnscire next to the big city, I cant remember what it is, is teeming with brown trout.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Mameluke posted:

Do you actually get anything for fishing? I haven't touched the main story in months ever since hitting some "fish eels with Colbert" quest

At the very least you get a blue square marked off of map completion for the altar mysteries. My brain has a very hard time with an area sitting at near full completion except needing to catch 10 (small) bullhead. I guess I'll just start spearing random fish when I see them and hoping I eventually passively have enough to give to the altars.

I enjoyed fishing in Red Dead 2, it was nice and relaxing to sit at a pond and fish. I'm usually a sucker for fishing in games with nice landscapes.

Edit:

Sandwolf posted:

If youre looking for brown trout the little pond in Lincolnscire next to the big city, I cant remember what it is, is teeming with brown trout.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DreadUnknown posted:

Basim also is probably being manipulated by Althea since he referred to the AI or whatever in the staff as "My beloved". I think he is supposed to be one of the Sages, similar to Blackbeard in Black Flag hiding as the IT guy.

Im pretty sure thats his wife/Angrboda maybe from Isu-Times. If you pay attention to the little voice clips that play at the end of animus anomalies, hes very clearly talking and planning with someone to hijack the Aesir method of reincarnation, which we see him do at the end of the Animus Anomaly clips. So its more like, Althea figured out how to survive apocalypse by uploading herself into a staff and Loki figured it out by following Odin and the rest and now here we are however many thousand years later and these two have finally met back up.

Also on the Isu reincarnation, something I thought was really cool and didnt get anywhere near enough attention was the rest of the asgardians who were reincarnated are farting around the 9th century with you. Halfdan is Thor, Faravid is Sif, Harland is Freyr, all these folk have the mark of the ancients on the back of the neck. Thats cool as hell. Even the main character of the Rigsaga that you collect is supposedly Heimdall reincarnated earlier than everyone else.