Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Cautiously optimistic. Enjoyed Syndicate a lot - little's groundbreaking but it's well-executed and Bell's a good bro. For AC:O, Egypt's a rad setting, and videogame tech in the past few years has hit a good balance between scope and density of environments.

I knew the AC story was sprawling, but seeing it all laid out in a quick summary illustrates the sprawl perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Deakul posted:

Getting reports of lousy optimization on the PC(surprise surprise)... :ohdear:

Can confirm. Still fiddling with video settings but there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet so far (made more cumbersome by several settings requiring a game restart). i5 4690k / GTX 1080 / 16 GB RAM gets 60 FPS in the sticks, but anything resembling civilization drops it to a variable 40-50. Resolution hasn't had an impact. The benchmark program is indicating the CPU's doing good work but the video card's struggling.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

blue squares posted:

Is there a present day story? I know I'm in the minority but I loved all of the intrigue with Desmond and the pieces of Eden. I am a sucker for that kind of mystery. For example, I can't get enough of the National Treasure movies.

I was surprised by all the optional content that's available on the protagonist's laptop the moment it can be accessed. Maybe even more later? Either way, it's like the stuff we can find from hacking around the office in Black Flag, only centralized.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Played around with graphics settings more, and I was able to get 63 average FPS on the benchmark. However, this is on the lowest graphics settings at 1080p on a GTX 1080 / i5 4690k with a stable 4.0 GHz overclock. Checking around it looks to be CPU heavy (lots of solid processors will struggle). It's really disappointing that they seem to have gone with the Unity graphics engine, especially since the Syndicate PC port was rock solid and visually satisfying. The quality was adequate but the scope of London was outstanding, and the only significant issue I recall is that Evie's fabric animated at 30 FPS.

Also. for some reason, I will on occasion get scratchy/clipping audio when I boot the game. The only solution that works is restarting the game, and that's unpredictable at best. Zero issues with audio in any other games.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's a shame that Denuvo has not only become less effective at anti-piracy but has also apparently hampered this game's performance. Just a year ago it seemed like DRM was getting to a good place.

Game's fun! But the tech performance is real bad.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Did the patch that went in yesterday unfuck the PC performance? I would actually like to play this game when it's not taxing my CPU at 60% on the startup screen.

Did fuckall for me as well. Hasn't stopped me from playing or enjoying it, but the combat would be much better if this was performing anything close to other games I have.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Lollerich posted:

Got this from a level 35 phylaketai (or whatever) ;-*

This thing rules. While I was hiding and observing patrol patterns, I accidentally set a fort on fire with it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

So, uh, I got the Pharaoh Outfit from a Heka Chest. Maybe a bug, but also hey maybe I don't need to pay real money for the rest of the stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Morter posted:

Maybe you had a Heka-va lotta good luck :downsrim:

I was, like, "Phar-whoa!"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Similar experience - I got a Pharaoh outfit from a Heka chest I bought with ingame currency.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oasx posted:

The writing in this game is overall a lot better than Witcher 3. Everyone always mentions the Bloody Baron quest, but that is also the only memorably story in Witcher 3

The Crones, the cursed bride in the tower, Priscilla's song leading into the play, the serial killer vampire, the werewolf hunt, solving berserker bear mysteries with Crach & Cerys, the Battle of Kaer Morhen, the critical path in both DLCs (especially Gaunter & Regis) ... like it's one thing if Origins is more your style, but if anything The Witcher III has too much memorable content.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

To each their own. The Witcher III clicked for me in a way that II didn't, and all that I needed was a dodge (instead of just a full on get the gently caress out of everything roll).

I've liked AC:O a lot more than I expected, and I agree the loot system is considerably more sensible.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Finally beat the game. Liked it a lot, definitely has an attention to detail we don't get every game. The tombs are rad, the combat's pretty good, the visuals are quite nice, and the narrative is alright for an initially unplanned prequel (I normally dislike those). My main complaint that arbitrarily removing progression in a progression-based game should be done more carefully. It makes sense when it's done in The Witcher III, as Ciri has her own powerful (though different) toolkit that gets more powerful each time, but it's pretty much a nightmare in Origins - Aya takes a general power hit AND her combat style does nothing that Bayek doesn't do better. Also, Prox freaking out at length whenever there's a wave of enemy ships doesn't help the naval sections.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I like it in Rogue and Black Flag, I wasn't really a fan of them shoehorning it into this one.

Same. Doesn't help that the de facto first mate loudly panics at the first sight of enemy ships (and not in a funny way). Counter shot after bracing was the only interesting part to me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

10 Beers posted:

This game is great. So far the only things that's bothering me so far is when I'm swimming and the rear end in a top hat boatman keep ramming into me or getting in front of me and stopping. Jerks!

they're "helping"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So are people finding performance on Origins analogous to how Syndicate ran on their systems? I’m really tempted to get the game (even after getting Syndicate) due to the sale after watching some streams, but I’m concerned that I won’t be able to refund it like on steam.

A bit worse, though the patches have helped. 4k is still a pipe dream with anything less than top specs but 1080p & 1440p run just fine.

isk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 22, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yep! Found all of it tedious - the modern day stuff, the emails, the precursor recordings that Bayek finds. Some of the past installments are interesting on some level (the holy poo poo 4th wall breaking from Minerva in ACB, the internal dev emails in Black Flag where a producer defuses an argument with "let's take this offline," etc.), but it feels like a miss in ACO. Too brief in some points, too wordy in others. Didn't feel like the VOs were into it, like they were given unclear direction or the writing seemed as uninteresting to them as it did to me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I really like the dynamic health gauge when aiming, too. Vital in a stealth/ambush game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The overhead-stab-into-the-dome is all I need for maximum :drat: feeling. Sounds like a loving canteloupe.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hang on, did the brutus gear have unique animations? It's been a while since I played the old AC games, I don't know if I remember this.

It does. They're direct and brutal, mostly one-hit-and-done, no time for flourish.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ship combat in Odyssey would be immeasurably improved by dropping a worthless captain/first mate who brags about his combat prowess in cutscenes, but at the first sign of a sail starts screaming incoherent bullshit while the player is occupied with not dying. That would be A+

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Not digging the supposed gravity towards Unity parkour over Origins. The ability to climb nearly anything led me to presume and accept that mechanic implicitly; there's rarely a question of if, or a moment where something can't be scaled. I just do it and it rules.

We'll see if it's accurate and to what degree.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

aaaaaaahhhhhhh gently caress this looks real good. Trying not to get too hype after how much I liked Origins and how they seem to be iterating on that. Also loving the color palette - there's been this drive to wash things out in recent years (not just in games but in TV and film), so I'm glad Ubi's going with bright and bold.

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, so this is from the Syndicate team. That's One of the Good Ones, right?

Yep! Syndicate's solid, even if the story's unfocused - but that looks to be addressed by the reportedly more consistent protagonist.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-about-assassin-s-creed-odyssey-af-1826721186

interesting stuff. also as either character you can romance anyone. so i am going to be play as Bisexual Spartan pirate guy who looks daario naharis(the first actor.)

Really digging this. Ancient Greece is my jam, has been since I was little.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"Malaka" within the first 3 minutes

10/10 GOTY

isk
Oct 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I will say it is kinda funny to name your franchise reboot Origins and then have its sequel go back to a time 400 years before Origins. If this series just becomes Historical Murder RPG then I'm not gonna complain too much.

I'm more relieved than I should be that Origins didn't become the new branding. In reality it is but I'm glad it's not in the title.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Reasonably confident that a late game mission will result in the emotional & tragic destruction of the protagonist's boat at the hands of their nemesis, only the protag will survive, square up on a piece of driftwood, and destroy the enemy boat with a Spartan Kick.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

One of the few missteps with Origins at launch was the inability to pet cats. Ubi patched in the auto pet thing due to player feedback. Probably they ran into issues when trying to shoehorn the feature into a dedicated button.

I *think* Odyssey will have a dedicated button for petting dogs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

FWIW, holding shield block makes Bayek really tough for most soldiers to kill. Add in the occasional dodge and you're practically invulnerable. Only real threats are fire, horse archers that bug out and simultaneously overaggro & retreat, captains with unblockable specials, and getting flanked by troops all on the same faction. Half of those are avoidable, and the others aren't super common and can still be dealt with.

I don't often check a minimap during combat, either, but the phylakes warning is clear-to-borderline-obnoxious. It's not fun getting ganked, and it's valid to dislike how the phylakes work, but you weren't 360 MLG noscoped from Alexandria the second you peeked out from the Sphinx.

*edit -

DrNutt posted:

On the other hand I am pretty sure that I will feel incredibly satisifed when I can finally kill this rear end in a top hat and feed him to crocodiles so maybe it's a better mechanic than I'm giving it credit for right now. :shrug:

It was for me. I had extra difficulty with two - didn't expect the first to spam unblockable/hard-to-dodge specials, and I misjudged how far the second was from a fort full of archers. They were really, really fun to kill.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 15, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Syndicate rules because it dispenses with the Assassin initiation and most activities are available to both siblings. Also the soundtrack is ace and Ubisoft did some cool poo poo with the procedurally generated buildings (specific landmarks like St Mark's were done manually while a lot of structures were filled in by an algorithm that pulled from general assets).

It's a bit hard to play now, especially after ACO, but it was pretty good at the time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Haytham's VA (and dialogue in the first few chapters) is pretty great. "I'm going to feed you your teeth" is perfectly civilized brutality.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

My Black Templar Friend

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Vincent posted:

How are the PC Ports of the rear end games? Specifically: Unity, Syndicate and Origins?

Unity = horrible on release, fine now, not a great game
Syndicate = solid, 4k is demanding, pretty good game with rad fashion & music
Origins = rather good, 4k is demanding here too, very good game / hard to return to previous ACs after playing it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'd say Horizon Zero Dawn technically qualifies (even if the choices have less impact) but the point's well taken. At best these types of games are rare.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Weird question but once I get to the end of Brotherhood is there a post-game where I'm free to go over anything I missed? I've only done about half of the Da Vinci Disappearance quests and Romulus dungeons but I just hit Sequence 8 and it seems like things are wrapping up, and I recall the last game ending with the team running away, so I'm not sure if I'm about to screw myself out of hidden artifacts around the present-day villa or whatever. Not that I ever 100% games like this, but it's nice to know I could go back and do it if I wanted to without replaying the whole thing, you know?

Pretty sure there is a post-game, and they explain it thru a voiceover during the credits.

quote:

Second weird question: one thing I liked about the beginning of Brotherhood was that it started Ezio with all the same endgame equipment I'd left him in, including the best knife and Altair's gear. Canonically, is there any particular super armor/etc I should grab in this game before hitting the ending?

Nah, nothing quite OP like Altair's armor.

Personally I went with the best vendor armor + blue & gold dye since it looks incredible, and the only drawback is the occasional repair (lmao remember when this was a thing in Assassin's Creed?). The (tombs armor) Brutus armor has a neat lore hook but there are clipping issues with the cape. The weapon from that quest is pretty cool, think it's got unique kill animations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I always love it when Game Informer does these rapid-fire interviews with developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQpnWU-mTg

This is a good watch

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Embedded version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooYYEeFKEo

This is impressive

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Brotherhood's combo kill system is great, and the parkour generally flows better in 3 and onward. Origins' parkour is levels above all the others.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm good with less land as well - if there's poo poo to do along the way (which it looks like there will be) I use conventional travel way more often. Add sailing & shanties to the mix, and I don't expect to use fast travel often at all.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

They sound like a group of reasonably salty dudes singing okay to me. It's not Freddie Mercury belting out ballads in a crystal clear tenor (which would be cool because people would flip, but yes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Educated guesses:

1) Adjusted Homestead unlocks (blacksmith comes way too late)
2) Adjusted the keep-away mechanics for the bro fight (I liked them but lots didn't)
3) Improved parkour (?)