Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I can't do, so I really hope skills will make it generally unnecessary in Valhalla, but maybe there should be a no-skills difficulty setting for people who find them cheesy.

It was only on PC, but the Animus Control Panel in Origins was perfect for this. I don't know why Odyssey didn't have this, since you could use it to tweak the gameplay experience to be exactly how you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its Lear right?

also i am weirdly sad how much dislike is going out for this game(not as much here, other forums) like now suddenly people want the combat from loving ac3 back.

They'll all still buy it and put 100 hours in though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

JustaDamnFool posted:

(Also it feels like they were trying to have their cake and eat it with queer representation by stating that Jacob was bi after release while not really having that shown in the text, although I might be forgetting scenes from the earlier part of the game.)

Jacob seemed like a regular horny straight dudebro protagonist unless I missed something in-game.

Edit: what really annoyed me about Syndicate is that a couple of the missions where you were forced to play as Jacob were ones where clearly Evie would be better due to her stealth skills. Which I get, but also let us play how we want, you've done it for most of the game.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I gave up on Syndicate halfway despite doing all the side-content because it sure as hell felt like the developers did the same. A painful lack of self-awareness in favor of clear-cut black-and-white narrative leads to a painfully dull affair. Imagine a game where you liberate slaves so you can force them to work for you.

I enjoyed Syndicate, but it felt like Starrick was barely in the game even though he was the villain. The chapter with Maxwell Roth was way more memorable than all the rest.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk, roth just felt like the joker to me. starrick is a fun idea but none of the villains feel connected enough. i liked syndicate but it felt to much like a bunch of vignettes.

That's fair. I felt like in the first part of the game you see a bunch of bad things that Starrick is connected to, then by the time you see him at the end, it's basically templar=evil and that's it because you've been doing like 30 hours of other stuff while running a criminal gang of your own. It's like oh no, he controls a criminal empire, but so do you?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Pretty much every AC plot feels disorganized and hard to follow. I was extremely confused at the end of Black Flag when Edward reminisces about his dead pirate buddies. Stede Bonnet is among them and I had no idea he died because his death is only mentioned in an optional off-hand conversation.

Similarly at the end of Origins Bayek vows to avenge the murder of his friend, who we last saw alive 40 hours ago in the prologue and whose name escapes me.

Rogue at least managed to fit the entire plot inside 26 missions. While it did mean the supporting cast are used economically (Adewale only has two appearances, Haytham only shows up in the third act) it also ensured the pace never flagged. AC3 on the other hand took 20 missions to loving start.

I'm about two thirds of the way through the Odyssey main quest and honestly, it sort of feels like it would be a better game if it was either smaller scale but with the same plot about cultists or instead the big world that it has but with the plot being just "fight your way through the Pelopennisian war, do sidequests, adventure across Greece" with the war as a farming device rather than the actual main plot because the cult of the kosmos main plot ends up being spaced apart so much if you do much of the side stuff, you forget what's actually going on!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah the success of a game isn't really how much money it makes, these days. I mean, making a bunch of money is great and is definitely one of the goals, but big-rear end sale numbers you can point to, to impress your share-holders, are more important.

I played Alexios but I wouldn't have cared if it was only Kassandra, all of my favorite characters were side characters anyway. I like when games give you options but like this entry didn't even let me change my hair and my beard or whatever like the last one lol

I refuse to accept that clean shaven and shaved head Bayek is canon. Bearded long haired Bayek is best Bayek.

I'm honestly really surprised that the assets from AC: Origins weren't re-used before the release of Odyssey for some kind of separate sequel, maybe smaller scale but set in Rome in a later time period, given that they had all basic Roman art assets etc anyway good to go from the second half of Origins, but I guess their model these days is to have DLC adventures with same character on a new map instead. I guess with an RPG model, it makes more sense to just keep playing the same character rather than continue the story as someone else.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

if total recruits made ship stats go up this a la TPP this would've been a decent system, but as it is there's no reason to ever recruit anyone because you'll get four gold liutenants free from bonus stuff or early quests

currently the only reason to do it is when its kinda funny

I recruited all the female mercenaries who came after me, because I thought it would be fun but yeah they just stand there silently on your ship so it kinda sucked really

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ripper Swarm posted:

The post-Black Flag AC navel combat implementation is imo a bit shallow and got tedious quickly. In Origins raiding Nile traffic on a felucca was better than the few naval missions it sent you on and Odyssey didn't really shake up the formula much.

The key innovation in Odyssey was naval combat+sparta kick because boarding then kicking the enemies off their own boat never stopped being funny

Edit: AC Odyssey not having the move from Origins where you grabbed the enemy's weapon and threw it into another enemy sucked though because that was the best bit of the entire game.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are the songs on your longship meant to have singing or are they just music? Pre-launch videos show singing but in my game the stories work fine, but if I choose a song then it's just what sounds like it's meant to be accompaniment and no singing. No idea how to fix (on PC), since everything else is working.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just had a great moment. I was fighting some folk and saw a Zealot (who had recently one-shotted me and forcing a reload :smith:) riding up so I ran away, whistling for my horse. The zealot chased me, and just as my own horse reached me, the zealot did too and dismounted, but his horse kept going a bit so by accident I jumped onto his horse and rode off!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

there arent even repercussions for the hovel itself! they are amazingly fire resistant

i know an assassins creed game with actual environmental destruction is waaay too much to ask and i dont even want to know what kind of bugs ubisoft would come up with in the attempt but i can dream

Assassin's Creed x Just Cause when

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Evie with the fancy French outfit and kukri was lady death incarnate.

Evie breaking people's defence by just grabbing them and kneeing them in the balls or Jacob headbutting them was great. I really miss some of those moves, but maybe not the breaking of limbs in the fight clubs, that was maybe too brutal!

Due to the stamina bar and windups on some attacks, combat feels a bit slower and more deliberate in AC:V but hoping as I get better and more abilities it feels a bit like the faster paced fights of earlier games.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Do cats turn up in Ravensthorpe at some point? I've seen some out in other places and have one on my longship, but it'd be nice if there was one wandering round my home settlement.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know they've deliberately taken a different route with the gear in this one, but I really liked how in Odyssey the cult members dropped items that made up part of a set - so even if you stumbled across one by accident you got something out of it. Now when you find an Order member in a random bandit camp, it's just like 'whatever'. I do like how some of them weren't really evil or into the Order's goals though, and are quite regretful and Eivor's nice about it. The guy who just wanted his life to be all ale-drinking and pissing, for example.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Played it for 26 hours so far, was just starting to wonder when some of the romances would happen and then had two within the space of ten minutes, just because of the order I did quests in.

I'm assuming (romance spoilers) that the reason you can't romance Soma, even though it looks like it's being set up to happen, is because being asked about that and saying nothing happened is a part of the setup for Randvi making a move on you later

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Eimi posted:

I think the combat has a lot more frustration that Odyssey. Odyssey felt a lot more like it rewarded aggression, while here you're much more rewarded for defensive options. Also Parry's feel way harder to use, you're animation locked more and the timing is random it feels.

Yeah - I definitely feel this. In Odyssey, the timing for parries was easy even in fights against multiple people. Maybe I'm just sucking, but in Valhalla it seems you can get stuck in offhand attack animations and the timing is much tighter than Odyssey.

Son of Rodney posted:

I feel like the main story stopped completely 10 hours ago as that's the last time I saw Sigurd.

It is reminding me a lot of the way that in Odyssey Deimos was meant to be important but you could go 20+ hours without seeing them.

So far, approaching 30 hours into Valhalla, Dag has popped up a couple of times to be angry about me acting like I'm in charge but it's all 'my guy, I barely remember what Sigurd looks like at this point so come on and chill'

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

Imagine going from playing RDR2 then immediately to Odyssey, it was so bad I had to put it down, fully finish RDR2, then play something else in between before going back to Odyssey.

Also this is a sidenote but it always annoyed me in Odyssey that your horse had a name, and at the very beginning of the game you choose between three different horses, but they all just have the name Phobos. Why give the horse a name at all? No one cared about the nameless horses in every other AC game. Or why not just record three different horse names, it's not like it comes up in dialogue outside of that scene and you calling the horse in later. It's the kind of slapdash design that was especially annoying after RDR2's lovingly crafted and insanely detailed world.

I really liked this in Odyssey, because sometimes Alexios/Kassandra calls the horse by name when riding it but they don't do that if you've 'borrowed' someone else's horse. I thought it was a neat small touch. I've not played RDR2 though so appreciate it may seem very different if I had.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zeron posted:

Unfortunately they made it sound more interesting than it is. It's just female Eivor for the entire game except for two of the separate map sections, at l least as far as I've gotten.

That sounds really pointless, and a weird thing for them to make a big deal about as a mechanic.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SyRauk posted:

There are tons of other departures from Odyssey that I wish they kept.

I really wish the yellow enemies or bosses would get little intros during plot battles and demand to fight you, like some enemies did during the area battles in Odyssey. It would fit with the idea of one on one challenges that run through the game.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ilitarist posted:

Valhalla makes me ashamed of admitting that my monkey brain found joy in ticking things on a location objective list in Origins/Odyssey. Sure, that bandit hideout would probably not have anything interesting in terms of visuals an story. But I get there and it has a chest, a bandit leader, a captive. It's a little self-contained puzzle. I loot, kill and free and the game says good boy, here you have some bonus XP. And this location will be immortalized with a check on your map.

Valhalla is less formulaic and gamey of course. But the loot is even less interesting than in previous games and there's no acknowledgement or reward or sense of completion for "mastering" the location. Yeah, I'm complaining that the game doesn't treat me like a circus animal.

You do still get a check on the map in Valhalla. Not much I know, but it does still do that. It's not super obvious unless you zoom right into the map though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

The level design in the intro missions to Syndicate was really good. Large and open to multiple approaches. Almost had shades of Arkane. Nothing in Odyssey felt this good. Yes they're practically different genres, but it would've benefited from the influence.

Odyssey's completely open world might be partially to blame. Your design constraints change when the player can approach your location from any direction. Plus having to populate your game with ten million bases might blunt your creativity.

Hoping the rest of the game doesn't disappoint.

I really like the Syndicate area missions where you have to take out gang members in a small area, or kidnap/assassinate someone there. They felt like something close to the Arkham games predator rooms, and although you weren't forced into it and could just brawl your way through (well, until you got shot too much), it gave you a chance to do fun things with your abilities and try out total stealth. The verticality and limited area gave it an interesting scope.

Also - being able to just get gang members on the street to come with you or do that during side-missions meant you could spice up chases by bringing along an entire backup carriage full of gang members.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sivart13 posted:

[*] Instead of raids there are these weird faction battles that don't really mean anything.

I thought the faction battles in Odyssey felt more like battles than the alliance battles I've been involved in so far in Valhalla. The ones in Valhalla so far feel like something out of Oblivion/Skyrim with just a handful of people having a minor skirmish there. The Odyssey ones didn't do much apart from get you loot and flip the colour of a territory, but it still felt more like some kind of sprawling melee, especially with the named enemies who got their little intro cutscenes during them, and fighting your way through people to get to the captain you wanted to kill.

The stuff with the battering ram in Valhalla just felt like a painfully slow mechanic during a battle that was hardly even happening around me, just a couple of one on one fights. They might get bigger later on though, since I think I'm only halfway through the English map regions.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Am I missing something with the fishing - there hardly seem to be any fish along the coast of Essex and Cent being picked up by Odin's Sight. do they only appear at certain times of day or only in a few spots?

Or should I ignore Odin's Sight, just cast my line and wait for them if that magically causes them to spawn instead?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

I want to say that fishing is still bugged? I’m not really a fan of it.

Me neither - but I really want to see if the fishing hut mini quest to bring back whatever fish you need to attract feral cats actually brings more cats to your settlement or if it's just flavour text.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Got a funny bug where when I do manage to catch fish, the animation where Eivor triumphantly holds the fish in their hands plays, except the fish model itself doesn't appear.

I guess maybe Eivor has had one too many random mushrooms and is just hallucinating?

Also it's pretty funny that shooting fish with arrows is easier and more effective than the actual fishing minigame.

Earwicker posted:

i raided a monastery in kent that appeared to be some kind of bell factory for the other monasteries. it was a very dissapointing experience. there were huge rear end bells all over the place but whether you fling an enemy into them or hit them with swords, they do not ring. why make a place like that then??

There's a guy in London who is making bells in the yard outside his house. I tried hitting one with my axe and it didn't ring, extremely disappointed.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
oops double post

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Saxophone posted:

Honestly? Odyssey combat felt more hectic. Mercenaries showed up in the middle of fights and made you, at the very least, run around to not be surrounded. Running raids in this game is fine, but since there's other folks that show up with you all the enemies just sort of square up with someone and you're never fighting more than 2 people at once. Hell even when you are, only 2 ever seem to engage in melee and the rest just miss you with arrows.

A Zealot showed up in the middle of a raid for me recently, and it was pretty funny tbh because I don't think their AI can deal with your buddies being there - or maybe it was something to do with it being during a raid. He just got caught between two of my viking crew who were whaling on him, but he didn't seem to be doing any damage to them and I could just fire arrows at him while he ran back and forth between them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Syndicate would be a lot better if Jacob didn't exist

He was such a tosser. It was a shame since I liked Maxwell Roth, and the Huntsman outfit was great but Jacob was such an arse who hosed things up by being an arrogant impulsive wanker that I just didn't enjoy doing his missions.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

This WW1 section of Syndicate is so weird, I'd assume it was DLC if not for it being part of the normal trophies, like the games over why this now.

I got to it before the third act of the game and while I liked the protagonist and the updated setting, it was just really odd to have that whole long section with infodumps and all that just suddenly happen. Especially since it seemed to be optional, and it's a fair length.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess it unlocked earlier and I only noticed when I finished the main game and was looking around for new stuff lol If it told me at any point I missed it. Guess that explains why everything is level six.

I only found it because I was waiting on a boat to see what happened when it reached the end of the map area (it just does a U-turn) and found a weird map marker where a strange lady spoke to me through a glitch. I don't think the game ever even points you towards it!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like world war one game or some war from right before it like franco prussian or any of the imperial wars in africa/india/asia would work well as a setting.

Given they've now got a nice map of part of England, some kind of English Civil War setting would be great since no one ever sets anything in that period. I'm not expecting it to happen even as a spin-off game or whatever since I imagine making towns and villages bigger would be unlikely to happen but it would be so great. Also realistically, it's not a part of people's awareness much outside England I guess.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sivart13 posted:

I wonder what Ubi's analytics will say about how many people finish the game and at what pace. This random reddit post figures that the completion rate for games like Odyssey is 50% or so, which is actually higher than I would've thought.

Steam achievements only cover pc players on one digital store but it looks like barely 10% of people playing on steam got to the later part of the main story on Odyssey based on achievements.

50% sounds like it would be a massive overstatement but OTOH a lot of people who complain about the game still put in 50-100 hours and then do the DLC so it clearly sells.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Okay, just got to the Asgard section and like others were saying, this really feels like it was meant to be DLC at one point. I'm happy that it's not but it just seems odd having this long separate section where I can go have adventures.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm this reads like an appeal to 'the illusion of fun'. Combat is objectively bad. There is nothing interesting about the mechanics, no reason to use particular skills in particular situations, no actual reason to fight different enemy types in a different way.

If it was objectively bad, there wouldn't be people in the thread who enjoy it. It's subjectively bad, for you. And there are plenty of reasons to use different skills and fight differently, you don't have to mechanically do things the same each time - you can switch skills in and out, it's a choice.

You can think "oh hey, I want to use the harpoon on this dude intead of the valkyrie thing because it's fun and interesting to do things differently and I've not done it in a while" and to, you know, see different animations.

I mean I don't enjoy the combat as much as Odyssey personally but I can see why people might. It has a different rhythm to it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
This is going to sound like a weird question, but has anyone seen cats in Ravensthorpe in their game? (other than Nali).

50 hours in now, and while there are cats in some other settlements, I'd been hoping to see some wandering around Ravensthorpe but there haven't been any yet. There are cats in Ravensthorpe in some of the gameplay trailers, so wasn't sure if it only happens late-game or if it's just entirely random chance and I've been unlucky.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

J-Spot posted:

Is there some trick to fishing off the coast? I'm trying to find fish that are supposed to be there and there's just nothing. I've run up and down scanning and there are no fish on any coast.

Had this problem too. It might be some kind of bug since the sea seems pretty empty fine of the time. Eventually I just used meditate a few times, scanned and kept meditating and scanning until some fish showed up.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tender Bender posted:

I just did my first "story mode" assault in Britain (the beginning of the first quest with the sons of Ragnar) and... I'm kind of disappointed? It seemed cool at first but then I realized the battle happening around me is just kind of there, with infinitely spawning enemies who will attack me if i stand still, but you're not really leading your troops, or fighting your way through. All I really had to do is run past everyone and fight the bosses at the top. Is that right? Am I missing the point and the fight is just supposed to be set dressing for a quick boss battle?

I enjoyed the battles a lot more in Odyssey than in Valhalla. Your allies appearing in front of you when you're first through a gate is super annoying too. It's like in Call of Duty games where you're meant to be leading an attack but somehow every corner ahead of you has a friend there to wave you on or open doors for you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

There is no way you enjoyed 'random armies with nameless lieutenants fighting on a flat featureless plain until one of the meters goes down enough' in Odyssey more than the scripted assaults in Valhalla, that is objectively not true

I'm sorry to break your heart this way, but it is.

I just felt the pace of combat in Odyssey just worked well in a big sprawling melee where you could bounce from enemy to enemy. The assaults in valhalla just feel too scripted, especially when they're in castles you already cleared by stealth ten minutes earlier and now you're fighting one person at a time while a handful of men attack alongside you.

I like the castles themselves though, sneaking through them is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ilitarist posted:

Valhalla is important to me here because I don't care about the settings and for me (and for millions of other people) it would probably be the main reference of everything Viking/9th century England related for all of my life. I can be pretty sure about devs showing me more or less authentic architecture. Or do I? Those stave churches are too early, or aren't they?..

I think the castles are entirely out of period. IIRC, there aren't any stone castles in England until 1070

Edit: but if the Roman stuff was more ruined and there were less castles as probably should be the case, the landscape would be more boring in-game

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 28, 2020