Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fuf posted:

it also helps address the perennial open world problem of "the world is about to end but yes, weary villager, I would love to collect five potatoes for you"
I like when games at least have a reputation system. means you’re helping people out so the village will like you enough to do the next plot point you need or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

fuf posted:

it also helps address the perennial open world problem of "the world is about to end but yes, weary villager, I would love to collect five potatoes for you"

Also the game-story problem of "of course a narrative twist must be coming but I shall follow the instructions of anyone who says they're my friend".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

if they wanted Bayek to be the "best protagonist since Ezio" they wouldn't have made bald and beardless the canon

fite me if you disagree

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Bald-n-beardy is the best combo, obvs

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I like the hobocop look of full beard and full hair.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've always found quibbling about hairstyles to be immaterial, when there are still people who think Bayek wore anything other than the towel :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

By contrast both Odyssey PCs kinda have this Whedonesque nonchalance about everything that always gives me a 'wait the characters dont even care about this nor do they have any actual stake in this war, why am I raiding this athenian fort again' vibe which may be why I've never made it to the end :shrug:

there's treasure in that fort, and if that's good enough for me, it should be good enough for my avatar, too

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Mameluke posted:

I've always found quibbling about hairstyles to be immaterial, when there are still people who think Bayek wore anything other than the towel :colbert:

Towels should be a mandatory option in dress-up murder man games. Witcher 3 and Ghosts of Tsushima have them too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oooh look at me I'm Kassanda/Alexios I'm a big bad Spartan who doesn't even know how to use a shield

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fuf posted:

yeah but with bayek it really felt like he would stop to impress the local children with cool jumps even if the final target of his righteous quest for vengeance was hanging out in a fort 500 meters away

kassandra barely gives a poo poo when she's changing the fate of nations let alone the bad 'kill five sharks' quests, alexios sounds a bit stupider which helps it seem like he doesn't ever really know what's going on or why

this may be more a symptom of odyssey's turning the grind up 300% and diluting any kind of cohesive narrative rather than an issue with the character designs themselves though

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its really annoying to see the skeleton of a kinda mass effect style recruitment system in odyssey, which was replaced with one where fleshed out characters turn into mute models as soon as they're recruited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JustaDamnFool posted:

Its really annoying to see the skeleton of a kinda mass effect style recruitment system in odyssey, which was replaced with one where fleshed out characters turn into mute models as soon as they're recruited.

i saw it more as aping mgsv.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

oooh look at me I'm Kassanda/Alexios I'm a big bad Spartan who doesn't even know how to use a shield

who needs a shield when you have a parry system that functions identically to the way a shield would mechanically work and would in fact look a hell of a lot cooler if it were a shield (me, i need it)

I'm glad they're bringing them back for valhalla at least.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

i saw it more as aping mgsv.

if total recruits made ship stats go up this a la TPP this would've been a decent system, but as it is there's no reason to ever recruit anyone because you'll get four gold liutenants free from bonus stuff or early quests

currently the only reason to do it is when its kinda funny

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wolfsheim posted:

"Now I can finally farm in peace."
"Come join my crew."
"I thought you'd never ask."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I just like swimming out to battling ships and jumping aboard and having old picture show fights while said ships tear rear end at each other.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Babe Magnet posted:

I still think the dumbest reason for not allowing shields when portraying a Spartan was to make you play more aggressive. Now in Valhalla you can dual wield the drat things.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I just like swimming out to battling ships and jumping aboard and having old picture show fights while said ships tear rear end at each other.

There's also a moment after you sink a ship where you can just sit and watch as the other fleets do this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Friendly Fire posted:

I still think the dumbest reason for not allowing shields when portraying a Spartan was to make you play more aggressive. Now in Valhalla you can dual wield the drat things.

Yeah it's such a dumb reason. You can change literally nothing about the combat mechanics and just give her a shield as an aesthetic change and it would be the exact same experience, it would just look cooler. I guess you'd have to come up with another way to handle stealth kills if you have both hands full at all times but whatever the spear tip thing is kind of stupid anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

if total recruits made ship stats go up this a la TPP this would've been a decent system, but as it is there's no reason to ever recruit anyone because you'll get four gold liutenants free from bonus stuff or early quests

i mean yeah it was a shallow imitation.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rinkles posted:

i mean yeah it was a shallow imitation.
There is one reason to recruit the non golds: king of the ring. When you have the best possible boarding team, it becomes a challenge to even kill someone decent for loot because nope, off they go to the fishes, you have a ship full of you and they're taking no prisoners (or loot).
I still want the black flag pirate minigame back in some form. That was such a neat back burner.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
pirate minigame?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wit posted:

I still want the black flag pirate minigame back in some form. That was such a neat back burner.

Yeah that's something I miss from the recent games in the series, I liked having a sort of light management game going on in the background (including the assassin stuff from brotherhood > 3). It made you feel like you were in charge of something, added a nice little bit of spice to the game.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

pirate minigame?

You'd sent fleets out that would go on little missions (Xmins/Yhrs). sometimes rpg style ship combat would happen. you'd get things if they won and finished the route. You could have your own reverse east india trading company if you played it right and smashed the privateers. It was cloud iirc so even when you weren't playing your little rpg fleet was.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/assassins-creed-4-black-flag/Kenway%27s_Fleet

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wit posted:

You'd sent fleets out that would go on little missions (Xmins/Yhrs). sometimes rpg style ship combat would happen. you'd get things if they won and finished the route. You could have your own reverse east india trading company if you played it right and smashed the privateers. It was cloud iirc so even when you weren't playing your little rpg fleet was.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/assassins-creed-4-black-flag/Kenway%27s_Fleet

It also used the black flag companion app so you could keep your fleet running even while you were on the toilet at work

Rogue had a slimmed down version of the same thing, with some truly jaunty outfits available as rewards

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

It also used the black flag companion app so you could keep your fleet running even while you were on the toilet at work

Rogue had a slimmed down version of the same thing, with some truly jaunty outfits available as rewards

I wonder how hard it is to keep those going. Watchdogs 1 had the companion app where you were a cop helicopter or something too. I just happen to think you're playing when you're not was a really nice gimmick, like EVE skill building or lying awake at night as an ARK player, knowing some bastard from another timezone was killing you and your dodos. You know, that comfort you get from always playing.

EDIT: When you boarded ships you commandeered them if you wanted and they were part of your minigame! I forgot why Odyssey's ship combat didn't grab me as much and I just smashed them up!

wit fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
The only reason for a companion app is to have mini games I can play on the toilet at work so I hope they bring something like that back for Valhalla.

Send out NPC raids from your settlement or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wit posted:

I wonder how hard it is to keep those going. Watchdogs 1 had the companion app where you were a cop helicopter or something too. I just happen to think you're playing when you're not was a really nice gimmick, like EVE skill building or lying awake at night as an ARK player, knowing some bastard from another timezone was killing you and your dodos. You know, that comfort you get from always playing.

I don't know if the black flag app still works, but I will say that it is no longer on the app store because I recently checked

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know if the black flag app still works, but I will say that it is no longer on the app store because I recently checked

I played through it again maybe 2 years ago, so I think they at least fudge the numbers for time spent real world and in game and keep it going virtually, never actually knew about the companion app.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh yea poo poo, I replayed a wee bit of Black Flag a while ago and I got rewards for all these fleet missions I'd apparently completed in the few years since I'd last played it :toot:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I always reckoned the reason why Odyssey's ship combat felt weak was a framing thing. Blasting a massive Spanish galleon with a full broadside, watching it being reduced the sawdust and flames while smoke billows all around you is always going to feel better than shooting some arrows at a slightly larger trireme.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've just started playing satisfactory so I want to see some resource managament in the new AC. also been playing some far cry 5 so I also want to see hallucinogens in AC:V too

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

JustaDamnFool posted:

I always reckoned the reason why Odyssey's ship combat felt weak was a framing thing. Blasting a massive Spanish galleon with a full broadside, watching it being reduced the sawdust and flames while smoke billows all around you is always going to feel better than shooting some arrows at a slightly larger trireme.

It wasn't just that though. In Black Flag, the crew moved around, pulled on lines, climbed the masts and things like that when you were just sailing around. The ship felt 'alive' for want of a better term. Even boarding the eneny was better because they threw graples out to pull the ships together instead of them magically lining up.

In Odyssey, once the crew walked on deck they stood around and acted like static turrets until you decided to board the enemy. The only time they acted like human beings were when you docked and they would then stand around talking, or relaxing.

Like most things in Odyssey, the ship just felt half finished.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

I recruited all the female mercenaries who came after me, because I thought it would be fun but yeah they just stand there silently on your ship so it kinda sucked really

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Odyssey felt like the Marvel version of Assassin's Creed, Origins the DC version. I enjoyed Odyssey more, but my atrophied Classical Studies heart temporarily grew three sizes during each.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I've gone back and been playing the Ezio trilogy for the first time in many years, and while the gameplay feels clunky as hell...like all the time (I wanted to jump from this building to the next, not dangle off the side of the building, you piece of absolute poo poo), I have to admit the story in ACII loving rules. I beat ACII last night, and I had forgotten how much of a show stopper that ending is. I don't think the series will ever again top Ezio having fisticuffs with the Pope himself, then meeting Minerva, who turns to the god drat camera! Then Ezio turns to the camera and asks, "Who are you talking to?" Then she basically says, "You are but a vessel, prophet. You do not matter. I am speaking to you, Desmond." Then she leaves him, while he shouts, "Who is Desmond? I have so many questions!" Game cuts to black, and you hear Desmond say, "What. The. gently caress." Credits.

Holy poo poo, that was great. I had only vaguely remembered how great that was. drat, that was fun.

The gameplay has improved dramatically over the years, and Odyssey has devoured more of my time than probably any other game in the series, just in running around and stabbing things. But hot drat, that is how you end a game. Shame in how they've stumbled in the execution since then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

yeah, the improvements they made to the combat system in brotherhood (really just the chain killing on its own is a gamechanger) make AC2 a little hard to go back to in some regards, but I don't think they'll ever top that ending.

Also I am so so glad I knew nothing about rodrigo borgia going into that game because it made the whole pope thing such a fun surprise

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

I've gone back and been playing the Ezio trilogy for the first time in many years, and while the gameplay feels clunky as hell...like all the time (I wanted to jump from this building to the next, not dangle off the side of the building, you piece of absolute poo poo), I have to admit the story in ACII loving rules. I beat ACII last night, and I had forgotten how much of a show stopper that ending is. I don't think the series will ever again top Ezio having fisticuffs with the Pope himself, then meeting Minerva, who turns to the god drat camera! Then Ezio turns to the camera and asks, "Who are you talking to?" Then she basically says, "You are but a vessel, prophet. You do not matter. I am speaking to you, Desmond." Then she leaves him, while he shouts, "Who is Desmond? I have so many questions!" Game cuts to black, and you hear Desmond say, "What. The. gently caress." Credits.

Holy poo poo, that was great. I had only vaguely remembered how great that was. drat, that was fun.

The gameplay has improved dramatically over the years, and Odyssey has devoured more of my time than probably any other game in the series, just in running around and stabbing things. But hot drat, that is how you end a game. Shame in how they've stumbled in the execution since then.

yeah. i will say brotherhood is to 2 what odyssey is to origins. mechanically at least. i will say the stealth in the old games is kinda terrible.

also i hosed around in odyssey

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I still think ac 2 & brohood had the best combat animations and sound effects of the entire series. The blunt weapons especially :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i will say brotherhood is to 2 what odyssey is to origins. mechanically at least. i will say the stealth in the old games is kinda terrible.

also i hosed around in odyssey

My daughter loves watching me play Odyssey. She insists, though, that I use my pretty, pretty unicorn. "No fire horse, Daddy. Promise?" and "I love Kassandra, she's not afraid of anything!"

Having my 4 year old watch me play my murder simulator is probably a bad idea, right? Eh, whatever, too late now.

The picture mode in Odyssey really is pretty great.