Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kxZyle posted:

I never got why people are so critical of historical accuracy in a series with magical alien precursors and legendary ancient artifacts of power. Alternate universes should be allowed to be different.

I like my historical tourism sorta accurate even with weird science fiction conspiracies. It's one of the reasons I hated ryse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Game loooks awesome but they have for the best ripped off the witcher 3 whole sale especially the quest system. Not a bad thing need more witcher.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This is a fair point, I just don't know if they're going to bother making any Roman soldiers that look different than GenericRomanSoldier1, GenericRomanSoldier2, GenericRomanSoldier3, etc.

it seems like they are gonna just do the randomized heads with bodies thing with guards so cool i guess. idk. i am just glad gore is back. i missed gore in syndicate.

Deakul posted:

There's absolutely going to be HUD toggles, I'm not crazy about 90% of the hud myself.

Especially the damage numbers that pop up during fights, the sparkling poo poo when you gain XP, and Senu's entire eagle UI... looks way too drat much like a drone UI.

i am sure you will at least be able to toggle the damage numbers/eneime health bars off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kxZyle posted:

I'm well into my second/first full Syndicate walkthrough. A couple thoughts:

1. I'm midway into sequence 6 and have two and a half boroughs left to conquer, but I'm already level 10, I have perfect equipment, and I own nearly every gang and tool upgrade. I think the same thing happened in my first playthrough, which is why I ended up quitting - so I guess I hope progression will be a bit slower in Origins, or that at least that there will be more places to go progression-wise. Loot will probably help with that a lot.

2. The way the dual player characters are implemented irks me. Storywise, Jacob is the rash bruiser, and Evie is the sneaky assassin, and their exclusive endgame skills reflect that. Problem is, I personally prefer sneaking, so on Jacob's missions I'm doing the same thing as with Evie, except I'm stuck with a shittier skillset. (like, I don't even know what a countershot is?) On top of that, judging by the full-sync criteria on Jacob's missions, it seems like the game wants me to play Jacob sneakily as well, so what's the point of giving them exclusive skills in the first place? Overall, I'm looking forward to not having to deal with this anymore.

3. Things from Syndicate that I hope will make it into Origins:
  • The "autoloot on assassination" skill. Maybe with another "autoloot on any kill" offshoot.
  • I'd love it if the rope launcher appeared in some form, maybe as a simple grappling hook. It makes climbing and air assassinations so much better. It's probably not happening though, otherwise they'd have already shown it off.
  • The little free-roam World War I rift with Lydia was a really nice change of pace. It'd be nice to have something similar in Origins, maybe from WW2, or even the Human-Precursor war.

I'm definitely not quitting this time, but I'm drawing it out as long as I can to temper my hype for Origins.

they already have auto loot sorta. you pick some stuff up automaticaly and or just press x or whatever over the rest. its not some long proccess. more like witcher or dragon age looting.

also leaks and rumors and sorta the devs have said there will be other rifts. possibly napoleonic Egypt with arno vs shay and old testament Egypt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. this is the first assassins creed game i have been legit excited about for a while. i am curious how far it goes down the timeline. are they gonna go to cleopatra's death(i assume that will be the expansion pack) or just cover her rise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

New tidbits from PAX West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOl7029JCo

- There will be graffitis in Egyptian, Greek and Latin in the game

- At the time Bayek meets Cleopatra she has already been exiled by Ptolemy's advisors

- The Order of the Ancients is manipulating Ptolemy so that they can have their control over Egypt

- Alexandria is an ordered and structured city. It is very different from other cities in the game, it's a mixture of Egyptian, Greek and Roman culture

- Bayek at the beginning of the game leaves Siwa and goes to Alexandria and meets Aya who is already there for other reasons

- Cyrene / Kyrenaika is a Greek location, founded around 700 years before the events of the game. During such events, it's been under the Egyptian rule for two hundred years but then Egypt gifted it to Rome because it was very indebted with it

- Ubisoft worked with NASA to get satellite pictures that could help in designing and building the game world

- Pharaohs would come to Siwa and its Oracle for a good omen and to be confirmed as gods on Earth. Alexander The Great was the first Greek that received such omen

- Aya is also on a journey to find out what happened in Siwa at the beginning of the game, like Bayek, but it's a different journey

- One of the ideas behind the game is that the birth of the Brotherhood came from a husband and a wife

- Using eyeliners, dyeing hair and wearing wigs was very common in Egypt

- The Great Library of Alexandria was the greatest library existing in that era and it was a center of knowledge for all the Mediterranean Basin. People were copying books from every part of the world to have the biggest
possible amount of knowledge in there

- Hyppodromes are introduced through some quest lines to justify why Bayek is interested in going there but then it becomes an optional activity. There were lots of hyppodromes across Egypt, as mentioned by Durand

- Players will experience The Siege of Alexandria and during it, as shown in a screenshot, Bayek and Caesar will escape from an attack in a chariot

- Origins will contain a lot of anecdotes and details that will connect it to the other games of the franchise

- At the end of the stream, a tease of a video documentary called "Into The Creed" was shown. This documentary will be released soon

interesting. chariots look fun as gently caress. i hope its longer then just to the end of the siege of alexandria. because her exile/rise was only about 6 months to a year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

I'm almost positive that I heard them say that there won't be any rifts.

have they? it seems weird that they wouldnt after making 2 in row with them, plus they have said multiple playable characters and i am gussing its more then just bayek and Aya.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

I loved Blag a Flag and skipped Unity and a Syndicate. I am tempted to get back into Origins.

Is the Juno and other story stuff worth catching up on?

unity had another sage and syndicate shows that she has basicaly infaltraited the world wide web/communications/idk and has people working for her.

syndicate is fun and pretty good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kxZyle posted:

At least it promises more gameplay for tomorrow. :toot:

not bad. i guess they all have eden powers or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-origins-narrative-director-reveals-5-secrets-of-the-new-trailer-war-elephants/

so basicaly the order of the ancients are proto templars and they want to bring egypt into is glory days from the past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khy posted:

I've done two co-op missions and one heist solo.

They're not undoable but some bits are particularly frustrating, especially if you're trying to get all the sync points to unlock skills. One bit that stands out was trying to find and kill all 3 templar snipers at the hanging; I ended up having to redo that section three times because it was timed and I was trying to get the sync point in the nearby hotel.

I thought being restricted to hidden blade only for assassination missions would be annoying but I find it makes me think harder and put more effort into planning my kills than previous games have. I've become quite methodical about clearing out enemies, getting into position, patiently waiting for my target to get in range... it takes me three to four times as long as in previous games but it's very worthwhile to get the feeling of satisfaction for accomplishing a perfect kill and then slipping away undetected.

You arnt actually restricted, it's just other attacks won't kill the out right. They will fall over and thrash around and moan and gurgle like most enemies in the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Today Ubisoft announced a really loving cool sounding Discovery Tour Mode. It's gonna be a free update, at some point in 2018, that allows players to explore and learn about Egypt at their own pace without engaging with the games combat and main content.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-shows-different-side-ancient-egypt/

They have also announced the Hieroglyphs Initiative, a real research project aiming to translate ancient hieroglyphs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfdWNY7priQ
https://hieroglyphicsinitiative.ubisoft.com/en-GB/home

They're turning into an irl Abstergo.

ok thats pretty loving cool. that definitely adds another reason to pick it up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Did they ever mention if there was a second playable character like in Syndicate? I remember the early leaks mentioning this was a 2 character game.

apparently multiple , one is bayek and one is his wife. others arnt known. heard rumors about one being arno.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd say we get to play as Amunet at some point.

probably, my guess is she will be one of the big dlc people.

sexpig by night posted:

Man everything about this game is extremely my poo poo. Moving away from quicktime prompts in combat, ancient Egypt, the actual origins of the assassins finally(god I hope) being explained, shooting hippos in the face with a bow...

this. its the witcher 3 but as a sheriff/detective/guardian in ptolomiac egypt with with psudo souls/for honor/combat. i like the assassins creed games alot, but this is the first one since 4 thats really really got me pumped.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I hope the combat isn't like witcher 3. I like that game but combat is absolutely its weakest point.

its not at all. i mean more in the world/quest design, its more souls light(light and heavy attacks with trigger and bumper buttons but no stamina stuff)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

One thing I am curious about. The team who did Black Flag did this, there are boats, Egypt does have a naval history...is boat fighting in the game in some form? I know we can jack fishing boats and all but is there any level of ship to ship combat beyond 'pilot your boat to their bigger boat, jump off, cut throats'?

apparently there is, but they have been quiet about it and its more like in 3 (in content amount terms) then 4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea not a TON of ways to do 'big epic naval battles' in this context, but nice to here there'll be a little something deeper than river boating up to a guy's pleasure barge to shank him.

there will be navy battles but they wont be central to the game apparently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'd gone a bit off the boil with this (which is unusual for me and AC games) but I've just finished re-watching Rome so I'm extremely ready to arrow ancient dudes in the face.

Also, my yearly(ish) hope that something like the Subject 16 stuff from Brohood/Revelations makes a comeback.

Yes, I'm the guy that likes the modern day conspiracy stuff and am History's Greatest Monster™.

any good books on the time period? i have only found the stacey shiff one about Cleopatra which is pretty good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea people have tried to be good on it but it's straight impossible to talk 'Egyptian history' in a detailed way without defining the period and it feels like most things don't even want to acknowledge there WERE periods beyond 'pyramid funtimes' and 'rome'.

Since this is about Ptolemaic dynasty dick waving coming to an end with Cleo's rise, that means we're at 51-50 BC depending how long after Papa Ptolemy's death and how deep in the power struggle we're starting at. Either way this is the end of what we consider 'Egyptian history', the next bit of it is 'Egypt is run by Romans now, poo poo'.

This is kinda a huge part of history. This is the death of the last bits of old egypt. Rome takes it over fully in 30 BC. 'Amr ibn al-'As conquers Egypt to make it Muslim in 642 AD. Between those events it's a major player, and has a rich and interesting history, but it's never 'ancient Egypt' as we view it again.

I can't think of any good things on that time period, sadly. It's a period that doesn't get much love because we tend to look at Egypt as 'it was all mummies and cats until Rome took it over then it was just Brown Rome'. Like already said the pyramids were built almost two thousand years before Cleopatra, one of our main contacts in the game, was even born. We typically use Middle Kingdom as our baseline for Egypt. It was one of the golden ages of the culture and it's where a ton of its iconic creations happened.

That ended in 1782 BC, going by my year guess 1732 years happened between the 'iconic' ancient egypt and the game. I really hope this is a time when Ubisoft backs up their big 'we're a big happy rainbow who loves everyone and takes history VERY seriously' thing and gives us a look at a period of egypt that gets ignored aside from Cleopatra herself. I'm super eager for that educational mode to drop and I'm optimistic about things considering the big theme seems to be 'you're the last of your order, your empire is dying, you're fighting to preserve its honor and glory but probably will wind up being ground to dust with everything else'. That's a good rear end theme for this period of Egypt, that could produce some genuinely very good stories.

it was already kinda hosed by the time she got into power. the Ptolemies were basically the targaryens from game of thrones. they were incestuous as gently caress(as alot of royalty was back then) so you would have siblings and parents and offspring murdering each other constantly. daddy ptomley was kinda of a gently caress up and spent alot of time legit lobbying in rome and roman senators would use him as purse. its interesting stuff. as for the other point. most of it is in 48/49 bc but it shows the real egypt not the whitewashed hollywood poo poo. its mix of hellenistic and egytian mixed with other cultures because alexandria was a massive cultural and trading hub. you dont have to worry about them loving up with culture poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I've been replaying Unity since it's the only only AC I've never finished. This is fun as poo poo. Shame it had such a hosed up launch I guess. Is the DLC worth getting?

i am so mixed on unity. i like alot of the ideas, i love the time period and i like alot of the ways the inject the conspiracy stuff into it. the fighting system is fun at times but it sucks that you can just gently caress dudes up like you could with ezio. i guess my biggest issue is it feels more time jumpy and you dont really do much in the revolution or even witness most of it. its purely backdrop, which works in someways but sucks in other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Oh god yea there's countless routes to go down if you wanna talk about when 'true' Egypt died. There'd scholars that'll say everything from the end of the middle kingdom to the Muslim conquest were the 'real' end of Egypt. Just mainly focusing on when it went from 'cool hair and cats and polytheism' to 'basically Rome's African friend'. Still, great to hear it's will 'hub of the world' Egypt. I'm so excited for this AC to use its platform to actually educate people, please don't gently caress it up Ubi, this is such a cool period in the global stage it'd be such a bummer if you squandered it on "CHECK THIS COOL MUMMY OUT DUDES"

they won't, i have faith in them with that at least and its not even going to cover her fall as far as i know(though it think the expansion pack will) its gonna be like 2 or 3 year long window.

Lord Hydronium posted:

:agreed:

It's weird, because it starts off with you watching the Estates General and escaping the Bastille, and you get the sense than you'll be ACIII-style Forrest Gumping your way through the Revolution, then by the end you're skipping everything after Louis' execution, including the entire Reign of Terror, and Thermidor is like one mission. I enjoyed the game overall, but the last parts with Robespierre are a real waste of the man and the setting.

All the AC games actually seem to have trouble with the ending; it always feels a bit disconnected from the rest.

I haven't played it, but it's free, so go nuts. (And it gets a good reception from what I've heard.)

well part of my issue is the world never really dynamicaly changes depending on when you are. in the ac games it had in the past. but its mostly san coullates and national guardsmen all the way through.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOHat3p_W4

Well, that was goofier than I expected from Ubisoft for AssCreed.

Got some possible spoilers in the video too.
Particularly what the gently caress at that ANUBIS LOOKING BOSS FIGHT?!!??!... probably those desert hallucinations they mentioned.

its either desert hallucinations or Eden artifact poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/EscoBlades/status/915622612449062912

https://twitter.com/EscoBlades/status/915627228796477443

drat. just drat.

for the non history people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Golvin
he is a archaeologist who paints how various ancient cities would look like with good accuracy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

While we wait (god this is a long feeling wait), our burning questions are answered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnXUhnMm2M

uggggh. that was rough. but yeah. i cant wait, plus nazi killing 2 comes out the same day.

Kuiperdolin posted:

While trying to get hyped for this I went back and 100%ed rear end Creed Chronicles Russia. It's actually fairly solid and addresses the weaknesses of China with a better plot, more variety in the missions, better controls, sweet camera tricks etc. The Chronicles series has been continually improving and I'd be down for more. Too bad China gave a lackluster first impression to many.

Check it out! Or don't.

hmm. ill have to try it sometime. how was india.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

I haven't seen enough story stuff to judge on the character front but I think Bayek will be pretty interesting just because when starting he's already in his 30s and is a seasoned warrior.

Gameplay-wise, the combat is extremely different since it's more skill based now much like Dark Souls but without a stamina system and there's an overall heavier emphasis on being an actual RPG now too with the loot system.

I'm glad they didn't change enough to lose its identity as an AC game but they changed enough that it'll at least feel fresh.

i like what i have seen of bayek. while i like the "puckish rogues" jacob and edward kenway and young ezio. i want to see a more geralt but a cop and married type.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Jacob will always be My Sweet Garbage Boy but I'm glad they're going a new way because they're not gonna top Frye Sibling Nonsense anyway might as well just make a cool ex-ancient-cop looking to defend the people and all

i liked both the frye siblings but i was always annoyed about how dumb jacob was. i get that was his personality but idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea despite being 100% in love with that trash boy I also get how he'd annoy people. His sister explicitly explained the plot multiple times to him and even at endgame he was still all 'SO WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE ROOKS THE RIOGHT BIGGEST GANG IN LONDON YEA'.

Oh Jacob, my sweet simple husbando. It is probably best we're having an AC protag that actually...knows why he's doing all this magic crime.

i liked him alot. i am more of a ezio fan personally, kinda like shay. sure he is interesting. the kenways are mixed bunch, with haythem being the best, edward is fun and i like his arc and connor is a mixed bag of thing i like and dont like at the same time. arno is just british french ezio but alot less cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Ok, this is how much I give a poo poo about modern-day AC plots, because I'm asking this for the first time - wasn't Desmond supposed to be a unique fit for the animus because he was delving into the memories of his ancestors? Why can anyone just go to any time period now that our favorite cutboard cutout is dead?

Edit - why does can anyone do able now will was could have?

anyone can use it, but at least in the first few games, you could only see your OWN families memories. when Desmond died they took his and other peoples genetics or some poo poo and use those as software for the animus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They're gonna have those crimesolver sidequests like Unity & Syndicate right? Cos I am so ready to play Detective Story : Egypt or whatever

yes. its ripping off alot of what witcher 3 great and i have seen a ton of quests where you have to piece mysteries together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

macnbc posted:

Since it comes out this week, anyone know when first reviews are expected?

my guess is Wednesday or Thursday.

question, any good books on ptolomiac Egypt?

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah there's evidence of horses in Egypt since like 1700 BC, what the hell

Stupid question, where did horse originate? I always assumed Central Asia and then spread out both east and west with people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/78hpzm/potential_spoilers_got_the_game_today_have_played/

seems to run, look and play great on consoles.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A lot of stuff I have seen is mixed between real criticism( not enough changes, story issues or glitches) to the usual “ why isn’t it like _____”. In this case breathe of the wild. Gamesradar loved it so I am sure I will too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea to be clear most of the reviews are stll in the mid/high 80's, it's a good game and a solid refinement, just left a lot of people going 'I wish they actually delivered on the whole 'THIS IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR AC' better because this is neat'. I'm still hype, sure I'm gonna enjoy it but I'm an AC fanboy so 'it's more AC' is a plus for me.

We're pretty much at the point where these AC/AC-like games are starting to grow stale, Shadow of War also had people saying 'yeeeeea this is good but...it's just kinda another open world stealthy game where you climb towers and sneak murder people and all....' The genre itself is starting to show its age.

Oh same and I agree that the assessment. It’s more I get tired of the “it’s not exactly like____ it just barrows stuff, well no poo poo. Like i saw a bunch of reviews wanting a climbing stamina bar, no, Assassins creed has never been that kind of game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

The most important question about AC:O is: does it have bullshit mandatory tailing missions through wide-open spaces full of hostile guards? 'Cause one of those made me ragequit AC4, which I was up until then really enjoying.

If it's free of that kind of bullshit I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it eventually, because "an open-world action game set in ancient Egypt" is some kind of magic trigger phrase in my brain, apparently.

Everything I have heard is it doesn’t at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Since Pompey was assassinated in Egypt I would say there's a likely chance that you kill him in the game

My guess is you definitely see him die at least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Qmass posted:

I feel like I missed a pre-game cutscene and I have no loving idea what is going on storywise right now. Who am I ? Why am I doing things ?

It’s in medias res, they explain more after especially after the first target.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea it feels like Bayek's 'thing' is just 'yea I had a normal life until every injustice in my world crashed down on me at once' which is pretty nice. We've had gang bosses and wealthy rogues and all but it's kinda nice to have a dude who has backstory moments like 'dude remember that chariot race we saw together, that was cool' and 'I wish I could hang out with my son again'. He's not my favorite guy yet but I like him.

Also his intro was easily the best. Way better 'I'm loving batman don't try to scare me' moment than any other Assassins got
I like Bayek a lot so far, and I really like the voice actor, he can nail genuine grief and insane seeing red murder rage. He can also be funny without sounding like a douche.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Stylistic choices!

It's fuckin' weird.

i kinda like it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Got a couple of before i buy questions:

1: Microtransactions. Is the game overtly grindy to push you to spend money on the in game shop?
2: Size of download?
3: Does combat feel good and fluid? Are enemies "bulletsponges"?
4: Is stealth still a big part and do you still actually assassinate people? I saw someone shoot a enemy in the head with a bow and he didn't die which feels a bit dumb, but i understand they are trying something new here.
5: Can you turn off the WoW style damage numbers?
6: Is the ambient music good?

1. No. You can buy some semi rare weapons but they are all leveled to you and you constantly stumble across good weapons. 2. About 40 something. 3. Yeah it’s fun and solid, and most enemies aren’t sponges to most weapons. 4. Yes you can. 5. Yes you can. 6. It’s really good.