Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I was loving this game, but now I'm having to abandon a quest chain on Mykonos because I simply cannot win the conquest battle. I dislike and suck at melee combat at the best of times, and as I broke my dominant arm last week this is not the best of times. Do I actually need to win any conquest battles in the rest of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I love sea travel, battles, and shanties - the moment when I tried out a crew of female bandits and discovered they'd recorded the shanties twice was a high point in the game. I also like the large scale of the world, it makes it feel so much more real.

What I don't like:
1) Too few passive or non-battle abilities. I stopped bothering to use my ability points because they would only give me some other button combination to forget to use.
2) The battle of Thermopylae. If you want your ancient Greek soldiers to pirouette across the battlefield, at least pick a battle where forming an immovable wall was not the whole bloody point.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

FYI the damage-->health Amazon set bonus is also a perk for the Warrior mastery tree and is probably where you should spend your first 20 points.

Where does this appear exactly? I've seen people mention it before but I can't find it in my abilities menu - does it have prerequisites?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

You need to be level 50 to start using Mastery points. There's an icon off to the right hand side of your ability screen

Aha, I'm not quite high enough. Thanks!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

In fact that's one of the things I love the most, the lack of pointless vegetation and other shite.

I always assumed the excessive prevalence of deserts in RPGs was because they're easy to design and less demanding for hardware, but I did sometimes wonder if it's partly because developers who live in less leafy areas than I do find barren landscapes more appealing.

It never occurred to me that they'd be thinking 'these plants are so pointless', though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

What do the forests add? I guess authenticity to the region?

Yes, realism, and also beauty and visual interest and the wellbeing that comes from seeing nature. A big reason I play Odyssey is just to be running around freely in a beautiful place, and I often stop and look.

(Probably why I have never managed to enjoy any Fallout game.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mazz posted:

You can also very often correlate how strong a boat friend will be by how lovely they are to fight.

I have always rammed ships rather than boarding them, because it's fun and I think I heard you get as much or more loot that way. Am I missing something though?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

I haven't gotten to the new ACs but does the hud get better? Basically so far I had to use a custom HUD in every AC game or just completely remove it because it takes half the screen. The game looks so good with no hud.

The default HUD is obtrusive but you can customize it to remove individual elements.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Zombie Dachshund posted:

People (rightly) criticize the DLC, but for my money, the way the game whitewashes Sparta is even worse.

I agree, but I would not want Myrrene to be the voice of condemnation - she's a Spartan whose material interests are served by the status quo, it's completely unsurprising that she's fine with it. But the game should feature more helots.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Real bummed if the majority of this game is in Britain. I wanna be able to run through at least parts of all the nordic countries.

But the bigger area covered by the map, the duller the topography is surely going to be. Every feature has to get smaller, so cities seem like villages, mountains seem like hills. I'd rather have smaller areas with more detail.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

orcane posted:

It's why I enjoyed Origins' map more (and the less insane size of course). You have very distinct looking corners of the map, but the Odyssey map looks mostly the same except a handful of smaller islands you don't spend much time on.

I wonder if this reflects a greater sensitivity to ecological variations in biomes we're familiar with, or something, because I was impressed by the difference between Odyssey's land masses, and remember Origins as one dreary desert after another.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Makes you wonder how they'll make different parts of England visually distinct, especially if its focused on the south east of the country.

The south east sucks, true, but Britain is actually a region of high geological diversity.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

I got nothing for the palm trees though :v:

Southern Greece had native palm trees (date palms), but I couldn't tell you how central American ones differ.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

isk posted:

Hopefully we're seeing the last of the trend of Too Much Game that timewise started with Dragon Age Inquisition but really opened up with The Witcher III.

Three of my favourite games. I agree they had faults, but the faults were things that were chores, not actually game in any real sense (fetch/collection quests in Inquisition, trash mobs and a terrible inventory in TW3). But short games with tighter focus can have those faults as easily as big ones.

I do not really understand wanting less game for your money.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I was not remotely completionist on my first playthrough because I find, when you don't know what's going to happen next in a main quest, sidequests can become an annoying obstacle on the way rather than fun. I'm doing every single yellow exclamation mark on my second playthrough and enjoying them all.

But if completionist means doing all the objectives for every single fort, :stonk:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kin posted:

If they craft an intricate open world, give me a reason to explore it by filling it with unique weapons and armor that have a fixed upgrade to stats.

In Odyssey there was almost no point in exploring

This post makes the difference between players very stark to me.

My reasons for exploring Odyssey were mostly to participate in fun human stories, and secondarily to roam about in lovely scenery, something made all the more enjoyable by having superhuman health and climbing ability. I'm really looking forward to wandering around Tintagel and helping distressed monks.

Special armour and weapons really don't matter to me at all. They just make the game easier, and you can achieve the same by lowering the difficulty. I could see the appeal if items that changed gameplay significantly - cloaks of invisibility maybe - but otherwise, meh.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I've finished AC:Ody and am starting the DLC, and it's super loving annoying that they changed the max level to 70, so I'll never get to a point where enemies will not just be giant HP sponges, I hate it so much. I'm not even sure why I'm playing it to be honest, because I'm not having fun

I did not buy the first dlc on principle, though I think I'd have liked the non-procreative bits. But I played through the second dlc. I just about enjoyed it but I don't intend to bother with it on future playthroughs, because I don't give a drat about the Isu/modern day plot and prefer Greece. However you do find out more about what happened to some NPCs who died, and you get some very cool new abilities that you can then use in NG+.

Tl,dr: I think it's worth sticking with it if you can stand it, but if not don't beat yourself up, the base game is better.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Also, I kind of don't want to do it? Should I just spoil myself on youtube or is it really good?

I reckon you should play something else for a while and then come back to it. The DLC gets mildly more interesting later, but the best thing about it is the range of new abilities it gives you, that you can then use in new games. Come back and get them when you are more in the mood.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Falukorv posted:

The news that male and female eivor doesn’t change the game is expected but imo shallow if odyssey is anything to go by. Ubisoft hedging their bets and not commiting to a female character so we get a watered-down compromise where your sex is only a skin. Hope they remove or seriously rework dialogue choices, in odyssey it made the character more inconsistent and most choices didnt matter. Witcher it ain’t.

The base game is greatly superior to Witcher in exactly this respect (though inferior in others of course). The first DLC shows the sort of thing that happens when a character's gender affects the story: it's utter poo poo that ignores the player's choices and wrecks the game. I absolutely do not want developers writing lines differently based on their stupid ideas about what women are like.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can someone tl;dr whatever this :turianass: pregancy dlc :turianass: is that has a bee in everyone's bonnet? I totally missed whatever this is and the discussion of it...

Well, I did not buy it, but the objectionable gist is that there is an obligatory heterosexual relationship and parenthood. They amended it after the outcry so that the achievement for this is not called 'growing up', and you can now make it clear you're not in love. But it's still annoying not to be able to spurn someone's advances.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It's a shame they either didn't let your sibling do it (literally, I guess) or just establish the protagonist is bisexual.

The sibling option would be best, even straight people don't all want children, or any old relationship.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

The first DLC shows the sort of thing that happens when a character's gender affects the story: it's utter poo poo

I want to give another example that has just annoyed me all over again. My fearsome, death-dealing crone visited an inn in Skyrim, in a short break from fearsomely dealing spine-chilling death. She approached the staff, and before she'd even said a syllable was told "You're going to have the men here wrapped around your finger in no time".

And the instant my crone ventured into in Riverwood a total stranger warned her to keep away from her husband.

Gender-based dialogue is just terrible.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

The few times the game actually references Kassandra being a strong woman are much better than the 900 times someone goes "hello nongender-specific hero, please help me!"

It makes sense a little more when she becomes a demigod but the beginning scenes of her ultra-traditionalist spartan dad training her to be a warrior is very......weird when they dont make a thing of it.

Very......nice, actually. Spartan girls are said to have learnt sports including wrestling, even if not combat, as a rule; but since Myrrine has a magical spear I don't think it's somehow more incredible that they'd teach Kassandra a thing or two about that. It's not an 'unSpartan' thing, which was Nick's big deal.

As far as I'm concerned the only good remarks about being a strong woman are in lines where people would say it to a man as well. Alkibiades can admire Kassandra's muscles as often as he likes.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Ehhhhh I meant more along the lines of when she calls out macho Spartan guys trying to come at her it just feels cool when the game acknowledges you're pushing back on their bullshit, the same way it feels when you're Bayek murdering all the Roman assholes who think he's some inferior tribal.

I'd just rather not have the bullshit, honestly, possibly because I am not personally strong, so it's not much of a comfort to me that a Greek demigod could push back. That's less of an issue with Bayek because tribals aren't laughed at specifically for being weak.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they were going for bioware

What makes you think that? Nearly all Bioware's romances require earnest declarations of love and monogamy. Base game Kass and Alex don't have romances, they have funny romps - it's a really different feel (and much nicer than early Witchers, where relationships are more one-sidedly casual).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

At this point we're well upwards of two dozen things to do before you even reclaim your Spartan citizenship. We've paused from the actual stakes of the storyline -- revealing the corruption in Sparta -- for maybe as much as twenty-four hours now. I no longer feel any attachment to the actual stakes, the actual motivation of why we went here at all. And this is one part of the game.

I don't think the problem can be that quests have subparts or take a while, that would rule out any complicated storyline at all. But games need to be more honest about there being no rush, and give ways for the player to remind themselves where they're at.

I have so many half-played RPGs because I've taken a break and lost track of what I'm doing. Odyssey seemed very easy to get back into though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

is Odyssey really so bloated and aimless?

Opinions differ. One point is that there is more than one main quest. I personally didn't have trouble with the pacing of the Family quest, but was less interested in the Atlantis quest.

I'd recommend beelining the main quest until you've upgraded your spear the first time, but then doing almost every yellow and blue (Lost tales) side plots. Just don't think you ever have to rush, because you don't.

For what it's worth I liked Odyssey far more than Origins - I think it mostly depends how you react to the main character.

E: Plus, possibly, how much you like deserts.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 26, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Blue 'Lost tales' quests are good too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Morter posted:

AC: Odyssey

I'm at level 67 and I wanna get to 71

NG+? Do all the fun quests again, it's better than grinding.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Raygereio posted:

It was also odd that Aya suddenly turned into the protagonist

Yes. I usually much prefer female protagonists, but when I'd spent so much of the game wondering when Bayek would realize she did not love him and was wrong about everything, I was really expecting a 'get away from me you psycho' option at the end. Getting to play her instead was uncomfortable.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Skeezy posted:

It never felt like Aya never loved Bayek to me, if anything it felt more like she needed to move on after the death of their son. I guess if anything I was hoping Bayek and her would have a honest heart to heart about it and he’d realize it then. I felt like their relationship for the most part was one of the higher points of the game.

I think the reason I never believed it was that they have no conversation. Even conversation on the main quest is limited, with Aya right from the outset actively stopping Bayek's efforts to talk. Big red relationship flag for me, even if the developers just wanted to cut down on dialogue.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

The problem is, once you unlocked the skills, combat became - activate skill - watch animation - activate skill that regenerates adrenaline - watch animation.

Isn't this basically true in all games? (Of course changing adrenaline for stamina, magicka, etc as appropriate.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

Not at all. Most games with decent combat require timing as part of the equation, and have enemies that are immune to certain skills or attack types which force you to mix things up and keep the combat fresh.

Ah. I concede the point about immunities being lacking, but that simply means choosing different skills or equipment and then doing the use-skill-generate-adrenaline loop as usual.

But as someone who cannot do timed manoeuvres, I am pretty sure Odyssey would have been easier if I could parry and dodge.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

The skills in Odyssey are not like that because they are literally powerful I win Buttons. Instead of changing up gameplay, they replace the gameplay with non-interactive, mini cut scenes. There is no depth to the combat at all.

There is clearly a tension between what we want in games because without powerful I win buttons, I would probably not be able to play the game at all.

I play on Easy, or Normal at most. If the higher difficulties are too easy for you then maybe the difficulty levels need changing, though I do wonder how that would work in the earlier game, before one has many skills anyway.

I wouldn't mind having to meet more pre-combat conditions before I could use 1-hit kills, as long as it is clear whether I meet them before combat. What makes games unplayable for me is having to try difficult hand movements and dying when I fail, so that I end up doing the same thing over and over before I succeed. If that's what you want then I think any game would struggle to please us both, and there are already so very many I can't play.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i played on middlish easy and i never really had to go full skill spam to win fights. i just dodged a ton and than spamed a mix of heavy knockback attacks mixed with quick slashes and maybe the finisher moves.

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I can't do, so I really hope skills will make it generally unnecessary in Valhalla, but maybe there should be a no-skills difficulty setting for people who find them cheesy.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Odyssey also cleverly makes you dislike the modern day more by including one of the most hated fiction devices of all time where a cool and sexy main character passes the torch to the younger and shittier new main character.

It makes no sense. Why would someone with thousands of years of experience entrust Layla with anything? They have her kill the friendly doctor at the end, so it can't be that they don't realize how stupid and obnoxious she is.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

doctor iono posted:

literally no one wanted this, weird choice

I wanted this. I would never want less game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

doctor iono posted:

y'all are fuckin nuts, odyssey is stretched as thin as i could imagine for a game without it turning into a copy-paste MMO

I don't think bigger maps make quests somehow evaporate. They might even result in more scripted sidequests, so the ingame maps look less empty. Odyssey had quite a lot (I'm not counting the crappy auto-generated ones).

But I also like lots of interesting landscape to roam around - it's one way Odyssey was better than TW3.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

fuf posted:

no Wessex, Wales, Scotland

But those are the best bits! I think I've seen Stonehenge so it must stretch to Wiltshire, but I'll be gutted if no Tintagel.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

doctor iono posted:

a bigger map does make quests more sparse though.

Geographically sparse yes; fewer in number or quality, no. How would geographical sparseness make 'quest design' worse?

quote:

i do hope that having mostly contiguous landmasses will help with the interesting landscapes, though. that's something i really liked about origins that felt missing in odyssey.

Hm. Odyssey's landscapes were more interesting for me, but then, I love coasts and dislike deserts irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

I'd rather Valhalla have a smaller map where all the quests and stuff are solid rather than a larger area full of weaker content.

I'm not in the industry, but the idea that Ubisoft would hire more quest writers if only they sacked some landscape artists seems dubious to me. They're wildly different skills, and given how many games with small maps have awful quests, blaming Odyssey's imperfections on its generous map seems strange.