Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

isk posted:

Dag could've worked if he'd had one redeeming quality to the player. He's funny, he's effective on raids, he has a quest or two where he lets his guard down and you reach an accord (if temporarily), etc. The closest he gets is the initial conversation about the shield. It's brief and forgettable. Micah's a piece of poo poo throughout RDR2, but he has at least one good score with Arthur (the stagecoach job). His attempts at brotherly rivalry aren't welcome, but Arthur concedes a point of his every now and then.

Thing is, I don't think you're ever expected to not hate Micah. It's just that it's obvious from very early on that he's managed to get his hooks into Dutch. He's competent and sycophantic enough that it's easy to see why Dutch keeps him around but no one else likes him at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't know which one I would have changed (or maybe just added a new ancestor) but it would have been neat to have a game where Desmond was reliving a female ancestor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Wolfsheim posted:

Who relives Aveline's memories? Just some guy?

According to the wiki she was an ancestor of "Subject 1" but the game itself is an actual publicly released game and not a proper Animus experience. This franchise is on so many levels

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ilitarist posted:

It's dumb because before Eivor and Kassandra/Alexious the only character we had closure with was Altair. Ezio story ended with some CGI cartoon. Everyone else had their big adventure and presumably did some stuff for decades afterwards, influencing history and stuff. So I don't see an issue with Eivor specifically, more that the devs are afraid of letting go of their characters.

Early Modern Germany sounds cool. It's a simultaneously a very familiar setting yet very underrepresented in media.

Honestly I feel like you get closure even without the Ezio cartoon -- he makes it exceedingly clear in the ending sequence of Revelations that he's done with all of this. All Embers really does is just confirm it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

quote:

Moving the series' modern day story to Infinity is a big shift for the series. You've spoken about Infinity being a place where it can be curated better, instead of being the work of various developers over the years, where storylines have been left to graphic novels to conlcude. Why was find a better home for it important - and why is the franchise's modern day framework important at all?

Coté: I think we were challenged in the past on this aspect, and I'll give you my very blunt analysis of the subject. For people who love the meta story, we've never been able to give them enough. They would love an entire game based on the meta story, with gameplay, and full immersion. On the other side, and I think this represents a sizable part of our audience, a lot of people do not care about the meta story, and would love to jump straight back in time. We're in a situation where no one's happy with it, in the sense that people who love it never get enough and the people who don't like it will always have too much. So that's where we're trying to change the paradigm with Infinity. So when I say it's synchronous and concurrent, it means I want this story to live independently of the big cycles of the game. So you can expect the hub, the stories that we tell, to be updated independently of the games. On the other side, it shows a lot of players that don't want to be involved in this [a way] to jump straight into our past experiences. All they see is the DNA Explorer and, boom, they jump straight back.

I want to keep the DNA explorer abstraction or the Animus because I think for whoever plays Assassin's Creed, it's important that they understand that you return to the past not to change it, but to learn something about it. And I think it's important to keep that abstraction. And I'm sorry, I'm giving you a very long-winded answer, but I think our meta story has also been an obstacle to people entering the franchise. When you talk about Assassin's Creed, it's like, 'oh, it's complicated'. 'Coming to Valhalla, I'm interested by the Vikings but the whose this girl Layla? It's the third act of her story?' And it can stop you from enjoying those games. So by changing our paradigm, I feel the people who want to focus on 'like, oh cool, there's a Viking experience, I want to play', they can. But again, [we will] serve better the people who love the Abstergo, the Assassins, how this plays out and give them more content.

TBH I'm glad they went to the trouble of doing a complete restructure just so that they could keep me, the sole person interested in the modern-day storyline, satisfied.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, if this really does mean that not every AC game will have to be some big AAA open world Ubisoft nightmare then I'm all for it. I'm sure that will always be with us, but it would be nice to get some smaller, bite-sized games as well

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Geralt is actually a huge dork and you should in no way be fooled by his desperate and transparent attempts to convince you that he is "cool" or "edgy"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I hope this is where we see that transition

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Playing Revelations again. I forgot about the bomb-crafting stuff. It seemed like a fun system in theory but so far it feels like there's really only a few worthwhile options tbh. It's not that the other options are bad per see, but why use the gold coin bomb instead of the cherry bomb, for example?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which can only mean Kassandra killed them all the time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
heh heh, nice to see you again Duccio even the edge of the world wasn't far enough

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Connor gets a bit more expressive in the Homestead stuff, but we don't see much more of that in the main story. IIRC there was a lot left on the cutting room floor, but I think AC3 is trying to do too much. First, you're trying to wrap up the modern-day metaplot (which IMO really should have been its own thing entirely in the modern day) and trying to introduce a new Assassin in a new setting. Then you've also got the bait-and-switch of the Haytham reveal, which is cool, but it makes the rest of the game suffer narratively. Then you've also got this little detour about how maybe the Assassins and Templars maybe do have some common ground and can work together (except only on the most surface-level stuff, and the deeper ideological divides will always bring that to an end)... I could go on.

I think there are a lot of good ideas in all of that, but the problem is that they all need time and focus to expand on them. But they're all competing for screen time, so I don't think anything ever gets as fully baked as it should be. Especially if you're introducing a new focus character for us to care about, and doubly so if you're also making of making us play as his James Bond dad first.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 23, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What’s interesting is all those Cristina memories were actually in the novelization that came out like a week before the game did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ragnar wuz here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He's a lunatic because of the bleeding effect, not because any of the information is actually wrong IIRC. Although they can always retcon something and say certain things he saw were just calculations of alternate timelines and not what really happened in ours, I guess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yes, ilitarist, amazingly I'm familiar with the concept of an unreliable narrator. I just don't agree that it was the intended read.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Connor could have used a second game, or maybe a supporting role in Unity somewhere. Some kind of payoff or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Alchenar posted:

This was a three game arc series that started spiralling out of control in game two and then has repeatedly had to change the story to explain why every time the player loads up a new historical setting the assassins have hosed everything up and the templars are back in charge.

e: Expeditions: Rome is on game pass and having all three I would just play that. Conquistadors is rough in every way, Vikings suffers from bad resolution scaling and is janky, Rome opens up the class abilities and combat system a bit and has actual production values.

The Ezio sendoff at the end of Revelations is leaps and bounds better than anything we would have gotten from stopping the Ezio games at AC2 IMO so I don't mind that particular spiral

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't think AC3 ever explicitly said that Juno was manipulating the conflict to run out the clock so Desmond would have to take her deal, but I remember that being a theory

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rinkles posted:

I hated hunting in AC4, for me it didn't belong in a game that was already an awkward combination of two different genres (pirating and assassination). The whole game didn't click for me, though I saw some of the appeal of the ship side of things when I started chasing more upgrades. I liked that there was more tension and strategy to naval fights than in Odyssey, but it was still ultimately pretty shallow.

I probably would've enjoyed the game if it fully committed to being a pirate game, and abandoned the AC baggage (but that was never gonna happen).

Oh boy have I got good news for you! Ubisoft Singapore has been working on a fun little project that should be out any day now...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Wow, in beta already? Feels like it was just yesterday when they started development in 2013.

Assuming it does come out this year I think it would be great if they timed it for the 10th anniversary of when development started.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Teasing you with Colonial James Bond only to switch you to Connor--who I think is underrated--was always going to be a hard sell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Tbh it works for me that the different pantheons are just different civilizations of Isu.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC didn’t a lot of groups end up allying with the Spanish because they’d been oppressed by the Aztecs? I guess I’m worried that a video game might not do a great job capturing the nuances of the political situation.

Wait I’m in the AC thread what am I taking about

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Earwicker posted:

i can never figure out why AC has never stolen the disguise mechanic from the Hitman games. it works well, it makes perfect sense in the AC setting and plot, and in most of the AC games the player character is dressed very differently from the general NPC population in a way that really stands out, which didn't really change until the recent RPG style games gave you a bit more options.

i've always thought it was weird that you couldn't slip into a fort or castle by stalking a guard, learning their routine, then killing them stealing their uniform and slipping with the rest of the guards, then escaping by dressing up as a cook or whatever. seems like some extremely classic assassin poo poo.

they should also let you employ more creative old school assassin methods, poisoning or releasing a snake in someone's bed, etc. not just stabbing

I would play Hitman But In Ancient Mesopotamia for sure

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
To be honest, I quite liked Unity's parkour. It could be a bit finicky but there was actually a lot of freedom you had in ways no other game in the series really did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Basim is fine IMO but the ending is kind of a hard sell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sudo rm -rf posted:

AC3 remains undefeated in its killing animations, by far the best in the series

Altair and Ezio both had a level of grace in their moves. Connor just bodies you like a loving freight train

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
They're remaking Black Flag, apparently. I'm going to laugh so hard if Skull and Bones goes full circle

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Honestly for all its faults the historical tourism stuff is why I just can't let this series go

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean Altair managed to work his way up from novice to leader of the order in like a week

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

Was it by assassinating them?

It wasn't not that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The real shame is that we're going back to the Middle East, but so much earlier than the first game that I won't get to hear "Curse him! Curse the Christian King and his army of infidels" again

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ilitarist posted:

will I feel the hay

yes and also the concrete if you gently caress it up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Honestly I just really enjoy his character arc and how (even though the concept of the assassins is much older) everything starts because of something so personal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You know what? Take us to spain this time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
oh is that where the movie went?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m not a speed run guy for the most part but I do think it’s pretty neat to see 100% speed runs for some of these games and see what they figured the “optimal” order for doing everything is.

Black flag in particular is nuts to me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Who are the Ezio clones anyway? Arno is one I’m guessing, although I think he’s a bit different

Edward? Only in the broadest sense imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I like the duel against the fake samurai