Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like Assassin's Creed and will probably buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I've read that the PC version taxes your CPU heavily due to all the anti piracy running on it. Am I better off picking it up on consoles if I have a PS4 Pro, even if I meet the recommended specs of the PC version?

Edit: Scrolling up seems to suggest I should just roll console.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Can you get locked out of quests or fail them? The game has given me a "point of no return" message, so I'm wondering if I need to finish any sidequests before I go, or if they'll still be around afterward.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm assuming you can explore and do sidequests post-game?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Asking again, I'm assuming you can explore and do sidequests post-game?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I've completed the game and done every side quest. I don't know what to do with my life anymore.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Earwicker posted:

what are the essential sidequests? I've been doing about half of them but dont want to miss one thats especially good or unlocks something cool

I wouldn't call any of them essential, they're all just about the same thing. Rescue someone from a fort somewhere, rinse repeat.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Fully upgraded all of the gear. :feelsgood:

Finally killed a war elephant, too.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The story of this game didn't really deliver too much on the "Origins" front, I must say. Kind of a wet fart in that regard, but I'm enjoying the hell out of everything else.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oasx posted:

The Isu armor looks super cool.

I'm five silica short and I've already cleared all the tombs so I don't know where to find any more. :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man gently caress, I thought I was hot poo poo defeating these war elephants but now the game wants me to fight two at once? That's a hell of a thing.

This is actually kind of fun, in a Dark Souls sort of way.

Edit: I did it!

man nurse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 17, 2017

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

I’m the guy who plays AC for the insane conspiracy plots

:same:

I'm the guy who's miffed that they've been spinning their wheels endlessly on the modern day plot ever since the end of 3. They set it up like oh poo poo now this precursor bitch is loose in the world, I was hyped for what could follow. Aaaaand... nothing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

Syndicate is better than Origins. So is Unity. So is 3.

:chloe:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The season pass supposedly includes a remaster of Liberation, as well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

AC3 was way better than Origins and this seems to be an Origins clone so they're probably trying to make up for it with this remaster. I hope it does not reset my achievements.

Yikes

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo this game is good as hell. It's like Skyrim on steroids and way more fun.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jesus, this game is massive. I'm like 50 hours deep and I JUST NOW got the questline for finding the artifacts. gently caress me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wow, cool spoiler there. Thanks bud.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just completed the artifact gathering quest line and holy moly Kass in a suit is extremely my poo poo, I don't care how stupid that was

Also even though I beat it in one try, Medusa was a terribly designed fight and can gently caress right off.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Destro posted:

I didn't think Medusa was that bad playing as a hunter build anyway.

Man, if I thought that was bad, killing this poisonous motherfucking boar was even worse.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know it’s probably been said before, but this game is overwhelmingly massive. Like it’s ridiculous. I’m 80 hours in and only just now doing the Olympics stuff. Granted I’ve been going out my way to do all the side stuff I encounter and hunt every cultist I can, but it’s seriously impressive how much they crammed into this massive world.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's almost all filler though.

The old ones were better.

EDIT : also Chronicles China is free on the Ubi store right now if you want to give it a shake.

Hard disagree. A lot of the older ones were good, but I think this is an impressive and much more appealing direction for the series and it leaves you with a lot more freedom in how you tackle situations, while simultaneously offering up a compelling RPG type experience.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I did it. All cultists killed, all artifacts collected, spear fully upgraded. Too bad the final boss of the main story is kicking my rear end. :( I'll get him eventually.

What a great game this was. Definitely a series high point imo. Origins was the refresh the series needed, and this was a great continuation of that. Excited to see what comes next.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

esperterra posted:

I killed the boar in my first or second go and am always shook when people say it was super hard.

They're both pretty lovely, but imo the boar that poisons you the whole fight was much more of a bitch.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So is the season pass worth it so far if I loved the base game? Contemplating grabbing it while it's still on sale.

And yes I know about the controversy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PSN as well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

dead comedy forums posted:

So I talked to a friend today about Odyssey and he strongly encouraged me to get the permanent drachmae/xp boost from the game store: his argument was all about making the game much more manageable considering how big it is. What do you think, guyses?

Your friend is an idiot. You'll be swimming in loot, most of which can be sold for all the drachmae you need, and side quests and side activities will level you up just fine. Play the game you bought.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

We're doing Italy again, huh

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

Built a new PC and haven't played an AC since Black Flag. I want to get to murdering mooks for fun. So should I grab AC Origins or Odyssey? Does the newer one have that much more QoL improvements to justify me spending 20 more bucks?

How important is choosing character gender, choosing dialogue choices, and having sex with NPCs to you? Otherwise they're pretty similar, but I enjoyed Odyssey more between the two.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ulio posted:

I am playing on a ultra wide 21:9 monitor. Download the exe from this site and replace it in your steam folder. http://www.wsgf.org/dr/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/en

It looks great and I have encountered 0 bugs. Some people say the shooting is weird but I have seen actually 0 difference.

Also there is a steam guide for Black Flag. Black Flag's optimization is pure garbage, I was getting framedrops on a i7 8700k rtx 2080ti 32gb ram. You can keep everything on ultra but there is like 1 setting that needs to be turned off or it will run like poo poo.

There's some issue with the game's implementation of vsync that makes it perform way worse than it otherwise would. I forget what the fix for it is.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

I remember playing Origins and thinking "wait, what happened to the main antagonist evil AI that was taking over the world in the last few games?" So I looked it up and they just killed it off in some comic book.

What a clusterfuck. I had been waiting for the payoff to 3's ending and it just never came, they just kept spinning their wheels doing absolutely nothing with the modern day plot. You can plainly tell that they had no idea what to do with it after the initial trilogy concluded.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was wrapped up in the comics apparently or at least all the juno stuff was.

Yeah well, that's lame, I shouldn't have to buy into external media sources to wrap up what was presented as a crucial plot point. But I guess that's what happens when a franchise explodes like this.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It's a pretty awesome game, yeah. I like the direction they're taking the series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I was on board with the modern day stuff until they didn't know what to do with it after 3 and just kept spinning their wheels. What happened with the big bad Isu, Juno, after her release? I dunno, she becomes part of the internet or something? And then nothing. There's some new precursor objects that get forgotten about as quickly as they're introduced. I think I remember one of the games hinting at Abstergo attempting to resurrect or clone the precursor race with Isu DNA. I doubt that gets followed up on either.

Then there's the new games with Layla, who is a person doing animus stuff for reasons, I guess. I don't know anymore. I thought they were setting up for something when Desmond's Father showed up at the end of Origins. Nope, not really!

Thankfully, I'm still on board with the recent refresh of the series, I think it was a good direction to go in, gameplay wise.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

It's all resolved in a comic book

Oh

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I caved and got the odyssey season pass while it was on sale. As a result I’m playing the remaster of 3 since I’m one of the weirdos that didn’t hate it when it came out. It’s a lesser entry just cus of the environments and more set piece oriented assassinations, but I still am enjoying it overall. Weird going back to the older games from this newer format though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve come to like Unity pretty well. The story is well done for what it is, and new parkour eliminates some of the headaches and accidental deaths of the older ones. It’s a looker, too. Syndicate may have been better, but Unity is a perfectly fine asscreed game.

Of course, the amount of chests and locks to pick that are barfed all over the map can be tiresome. The murder mysteries are a neat concept but you can just accuse everyone until you get the right person with little in the way of penalty.

I like it a lot more than I did at launch, especially when they unlinked everything from the companion app. It feels kind of like a more polished version of 2 after the departures that 3 and 4 took.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve been playing like all the “classic style” AC games lately and right now I’m playing Syndicate and yep, that’s still a real good time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean I feel like they attempted to blur the line between assassin and Templar more and more throughout the series. Unity is a good example, and it comes up in Syndicate too. Really all the latter day entries toyed with “who’s right or wrong” to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’m not bursting at the seams waiting to play this but I got a ton of time and enjoyment out of the last two and can think of way worse titles to help break in a new console with.