Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Keep in mind that capturing targets get tricky with an Alpha Lynx literally going beast mode on the poor jabroni. Then again, if you're like me, you end up using the friends you meet along the way as ship crew, so capture becomes less and less important.

Okay I never thought about the alpha lynx. Actually having that little bastard on my side is way better than using a bear.

Deakul posted:

They really should have just adopted Far Cry Primal's animal companion system.

Let me summon whatever animals I've tamed, let me revive them, let me heal them, and let me tell them where to go.

Or more importantly let us have a legendary honey badger.

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just want to see the voice session where they had to shout Malaka! over and over

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Been seeing this on avs in other threads, poppin in to say it flippin owns bones! :D

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just completed the artifact gathering quest line and holy moly Kass in a suit is extremely my poo poo, I don't care how stupid that was

Also even though I beat it in one try, Medusa was a terribly designed fight and can gently caress right off.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

man nurse posted:

I just completed the artifact gathering quest line and holy moly Kass in a suit is extremely my poo poo, I don't care how stupid that was

Also even though I beat it in one try, Medusa was a terribly designed fight and can gently caress right off.

The disappointing thing is you can't use that outfit as a cosmetic.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

man nurse posted:

I didn't think Medusa was that bad playing as a hunter build anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

man nurse posted:

That part was kinda the worst. No real conversation, just "oh hey, take this *ACK*" I would have liked to have had more dialogue. Also that loving ruined everything because now I want a bunch of AC games that are just Kass tearing poo poo up through the centuries.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Text and translation of all of the sea shanties.

So if you aren't one of the filthy shanty-haters, you can see what your favorite songs are actually about.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Destro posted:

I didn't think Medusa was that bad playing as a hunter build anyway.

Man, if I thought that was bad, killing this poisonous motherfucking boar was even worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

teh_Broseph posted:

Been seeing this on avs in other threads, poppin in to say it flippin owns bones! :D

I'm happily surprised to see posters that I don't even recognize from this thread with the tag now! I love spotting all you malakes. :3:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK I finished up the DLC, and it's ... just as bad as described. Honestly, the hamfisted cop-out way of saying "I wanted nothing to do with this but have to do it anyway" pissing off everybody who expected to have free choice isn't even the worst part, I feel that's how you don't even know this loving character and all of a sudden, over the span of what, 4 missions you're supposed to fall head over heels in love with him/her and swoon and settle down (regardless of what your character actually says, the outcome is literally the same)?

I mean, then I should be all over Alkibiades (and I was, in multiple occasions :quagmire: ), Socrates, Barnabas for God's sake

Holy poo poo that was BAD.

I will keep playing it, let's see if they can do something better with the final part, but again HOLY poo poo that was BAD!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I know it’s probably been said before, but this game is overwhelmingly massive. Like it’s ridiculous. I’m 80 hours in and only just now doing the Olympics stuff. Granted I’ve been going out my way to do all the side stuff I encounter and hunt every cultist I can, but it’s seriously impressive how much they crammed into this massive world.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's almost all filler though.

The old ones were better.

EDIT : also Chronicles China is free on the Ubi store right now if you want to give it a shake.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 3, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's almost all filler though.

The old ones were better.

EDIT : also Chronicles China is free on the Ubi store right now if you want to give it a shake.

Hard disagree. A lot of the older ones were good, but I think this is an impressive and much more appealing direction for the series and it leaves you with a lot more freedom in how you tackle situations, while simultaneously offering up a compelling RPG type experience.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I honestly agree with both. The game is very good and the new model is very good, but the longer you play the more you see how much is filler and/or how relatively shallow some of the game actually can be, which I think is entirely because of the scale.

I think they should stick to this model for sure but put a little less into environmental design and a bit more into gameplay systems and the RPG elements; not a ton of change, but things like more variety in side quests, less railroading of gameplay like conquest battles, and more talent tree development. A game with about 80% of the landmass but 10-20% more gameplay depth would be a pure positive to me. There also patches and DLC to do this, so it’s not some hardline stance on my end.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 3, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Odyssey is a perfect example of mile wide inch deep game design. The relative simplicity of all the systems allows the game to pull off such a massive scale while the systemic nature of the game allows the huge amount of systems to intermingle and create an artificial sense of depth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I 100% intellectually understand that Odyssey is way too long, but I enjoyed the basic gameplay enough to do basically everything it had to offer, which almost never happens for me in a game this size. For me the little give & take in having selectable dialogue and choosing different outcomes, no matter how minor, were a big part of keeping that momentum. I think if Odyssey had 100 hours of Origins' "Bayek go do this thing" with zero player input, then it really would have dragged.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Odyssey is a perfect example of mile wide inch deep game design. The relative simplicity of all the systems allows the game to pull off such a massive scale while the systemic nature of the game allows the huge amount of systems to intermingle and create an artificial sense of depth.

Yeah, there's only so far you can go before you realise that in the first couple of areas you met all the enemy types you are ever going to meet during the game, and seen all the locations you are going to see (yeah some of the big forts are a little interesting, but pretty much every other location is Generic Camp A, Generic Ruins B). Somewhere in Odyssey there's a really amazing 20 hour game but it's forcibly stretched out in a way that diminishes the experience.

e: even in Shadow of War, which is a game based around stretching out the core Shadow of Mordor gameplay, you can never be quite sure your not going to encounter an enemy with a combination of traits you've never seen before.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know about the spoiler rules since this game's been out since October but I thought it was hilarious how I basically did the game out of order by focusing on the Pythagoras-Atlantis questline as soon as it appeared instead of doing it organically as I continued with the odyssey stuff.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think it stretches out to 80 hours or so just fine

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know about the spoiler rules since this game's been out since October but I thought it was hilarious how I basically did the game out of order by focusing on the Pythagoras-Atlantis questline as soon as it appeared instead of doing it organically as I continued with the odyssey stuff.

Letting players get the 3 main endings in any order isn't necessarily a bad idea, but getting them in the order of mythology-family-cult, which is easy to do, was a giant bummer and made my last few hours feel like spinning my wheels.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, there's only so far you can go before you realise that in the first couple of areas you met all the enemy types you are ever going to meet during the game, and seen all the locations you are going to see (yeah some of the big forts are a little interesting, but pretty much every other location is Generic Camp A, Generic Ruins B). Somewhere in Odyssey there's a really amazing 20 hour game but it's forcibly stretched out in a way that diminishes the experience.

e: even in Shadow of War, which is a game based around stretching out the core Shadow of Mordor gameplay, you can never be quite sure your not going to encounter an enemy with a combination of traits you've never seen before.

20 hours is a bit unfair, all the islands and locales have their own little unique stories and while the combat and stuff isn’t varied enough there’s def more than 20 decent hours there. I would agree it’s closer to 60 or 80 like mentioned. There’s definitely more hours than that needed to finish the game though, and that’s where I agree with the filler argument.

Also as mentioned I have some issue with things like the talent tree being interesting and varied only for the game to throw a bunch of events at you where certain abilities flat don’t work or are extremely not good picks. Like I’m sure you can beat a conquest battle as a hunter build but it’s going to be about 1000% more tedious than playing a warrior, and the game doesn’t even hide that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychepath posted:

Letting players get the 3 main endings in any order isn't necessarily a bad idea, but getting them in the order of mythology-family-cult, which is easy to do, was a giant bummer and made my last few hours feel like spinning my wheels.

I think the pacing of the cult is hosed up because its ending feels anticlimactic if it's your last one, but because many of the cult members are level 50, it's almost inevitably going to be your last one unless you deliberately put off story stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i feel like a lot of the problems people have with ubi games is from a pathological need to 100% things. just don't and you will be happier

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I think the pacing of the cult is hosed up because its ending feels anticlimactic if it's your last one, but because many of the cult members are level 50, it's almost inevitably going to be your last one unless you deliberately put off story stuff.

I completed Odyssey in the order of Artifacts -> Cult - Family because I figured the family storyline would be the most conclusive. As it turns out, I think the "ideal" completion order is Cult -> Family -> Artifacts for the most definitive ending.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yesterday I had a wonder, so looked up Brasidas on Wikipedia. You all know he was considered one of the most distinguished, Nobel, well spoken spartan soldiers ever? He’s literally buried in one of the most prestigious cemeteries in Greece, and had statues and games and yearly ceremonies dedicated to him right alongside Leonidas. The wiki is fascinating, even with how brief it is, the dude basically took 700 hoplites and kicked rear end all over the poleponesian theater with them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

i feel like a lot of the problems people have with ubi games is from a pathological need to 100% things. just don't and you will be happier

this is half true - my real problem is games designed not to be finished because you'll play for 60 hours then get bored and go away because even though I got 60 hours out of it -
1) the pacing is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
2) the ending is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
3) the memory of the experience of the game is tainted by how dull it feels by the time you quit

Not that I can blame ubi too hard for doing this because most people have been not finishing games forever so why would you make your game with a path to an ending?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
A game isn't unfinished just because you didn't complete all the PoIs and collect all the doodads.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yesterday I had a wonder, so looked up Brasidas on Wikipedia. You all know he was considered one of the most distinguished, Nobel, well spoken spartan soldiers ever? He’s literally buried in one of the most prestigious cemeteries in Greece, and had statues and games and yearly ceremonies dedicated to him right alongside Leonidas. The wiki is fascinating, even with how brief it is, the dude basically took 700 hoplites and kicked rear end all over the poleponesian theater with them.

Yeah, Bras Balls is a true and proper legend. The world stans Brasidas.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Alchenar posted:

this is half true - my real problem is games designed not to be finished because you'll play for 60 hours then get bored and go away because even though I got 60 hours out of it -
1) the pacing is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
2) the ending is poo poo and ubi shouldn't be let off the hook for just not even trying
3) the memory of the experience of the game is tainted by how dull it feels by the time you quit

Not that I can blame ubi too hard for doing this because most people have been not finishing games forever so why would you make your game with a path to an ending?

Just decide for yourself when you're finished. People don't even finish games that have clear-cut endings, and Ubisoft caters to completionists anyway to allow them to keep on spearing after the plotlines are done.

1) Didn't notice this, though I did all sorts of things and forgot about the three questlines for hours and hours.
2) This is interesting - I'm always very aware that I'm playing a game, which means that I expect the game to be good, and the story is simply something that gives context to my murderous activities, and while the story can be interesting and such, it really doesn't matter, in the end. If I want a decent story, I certainly won't look for one in a game (yet). But then I watch a lot of poo poo movies, so what do I know.
3) This is true - but does it really matter? You had your 60 hours, and nothing forces you to go back to this game...

Waiting for the patch to fix the silly Growing Up stuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sandepande posted:

1) Didn't notice this, though I did all sorts of things and forgot about the three questlines for hours and hours.

What I mean by the pacing being bad is, as further above:

quote:

in Shadow of War, which is a game based around stretching out the core Shadow of Mordor gameplay, you can never be quite sure your not going to encounter an enemy with a combination of traits you've never seen before.

Play any of the Batman Arkham games and you will see what good pacing looks like - new mechanics and enemies and puzzles are drip fed to you at a regular pace so that you get something, get to play about with it for a while, and then just as you are settled the game introduces something new for you to think about. When the game has finally run out of new things to show you then Rocksteady wrap it up and take you to the conclusion (with some post game for you to knock about a bit if you want). That's what I mean by pacing.

In contrast by about 5 hours in you've fundamentally seen everything Odyssey has to offer. There will be no new enemy types, no new location types, no new abilities.

e: and yeah, I'm 65 hours in and yes I'm enjoying it and nobody is holding a gun to my head to play, but there are levels of enjoyment and I'm just writing about the stuff that I think holds the game back and could have been done better.

e2: oh right, there are a few bosses you'll find much later than 5 hours into Odyssey that are unique new content. But there's no need for them to be stuck behind 40 hours of filler.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 4, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can’t really agree that was my own experience with Odyssey. The skill progression and its variations were interesting enough that I’d want to experiment with different abilities as I acquired new legendaries and sets. It’s true that there isn’t a whole lot of variety to the enemies, but among all the different activities there was enough to keep the encounters novel and I just skipped most forts/encampments unless I had a reason to be there. Some quests could be hit and miss, but the best ones had great character moments and often didn’t even include much combat. Every time Kassandra had to begrudgingly perform something in front of an audience was pure gold. So yeah if you describe anything in vague enough terms you can make it seem really shallow, but the idea that you’ve seen everything there is to see after five hours doesn’t line up with my own experience.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Alchenar posted:

Play any of the Batman Arkham games and you will see what good pacing looks like - new mechanics and enemies and puzzles are drip fed to you at a regular pace so that you get something, get to play about with it for a while, and then just as you are settled the game introduces something new for you to think about. When the game has finally run out of new things to show you then Rocksteady wrap it up and take you to the conclusion (with some post game for you to knock about a bit if you want). That's what I mean by pacing.

In contrast by about 5 hours in you've fundamentally seen everything Odyssey has to offer. There will be no new enemy types, no new location types, no new abilities.

e: and yeah, I'm 65 hours in and yes I'm enjoying it and nobody is holding a gun to my head to play, but there are levels of enjoyment and I'm just writing about the stuff that I think holds the game back and could have been done better.

e2: oh right, there are a few bosses you'll find much later than 5 hours into Odyssey that are unique new content. But there's no need for them to be stuck behind 40 hours of filler.

Right! True, Odyssey plays all of its cards pretty early (well, some abilities have to wait for the spear upgrades but anyway), which might be because of engine limitations. To be brutal, it's an Origins reskin with a bit more detailed inventory and ability management. Odyssey did have enough variety in its combat encounters to keep me from feeling bored, which may tell me things about myself. Also playing it a few hours at a time here and there probably helped.

And I know what you mean, it is annoying when there's a feeling of wasted potential. I do hope that the next iteration has something more in addition to all that glorious stabbing (and higher-level enemies should no longer be immune to physics).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Mazz posted:

Like I’m sure you can beat a conquest battle as a hunter build but it’s going to be about 1000% more tedious than playing a warrior, and the game doesn’t even hide that.
Multi shot plus elemental damage disagrees

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Alchenar posted:

This right here is one of the big missed opportunities of the game. There's literally all of what, 5 bosses that are actually "special" and not just "the same attacks but HARDER and FASTER" like polemarchs or mercs.

It's a drat shame that we don't have more actual bosses with their own set pieces like the mythologic creatures and Deimos... I honestly expected to find some in the DLC since they were one of the best and most fun parts of the game, but instead we got another mini-Cult (which while fun, by the endgame you're loving tired of), a horrible joke of a storyline, and that's it :smith:

But I enjoyed my 65 hours as Kassandra tremendously, and I'm pretty sure in a couple of months I'll be back to finish the DLC, mop up the last side quests and discover all PoIs once the "burned out" feeling will subside a little bit. And I want to believe that the next AC game will build upon this (already pretty good) foundation and will overall be an even better game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

tweet my meat posted:

Multi shot plus elemental damage disagrees

Yes I get that but it’s more you need a specific hunter build with a talent set deep in the warrior tree and proper gear to really make said event of the game work, vs just running in with whatever warrior talents and doing fine. I play mostly assassination but I still have Sparta kick and shield break because assassination does not do anything in conquest battles outside of the leg sweep. It’s not a game breaking thing by any means but the systems in place don’t really support swapping talent builds or anything easily and there’s room for improvement in UI or talent design. It’s a minor gripe, sure, but it’s still valid and one of the things they could improve the formula on, which was my point.

The game is otherwise great but the talent section and some of the immediate gameplay systems are a bit too shallow IMO, but all of it is pretty easily fixable with a bit more love/effort/time/whatever. I’d be willing to lose 10-20% of the map for this even, which is where my original post was rooted (I know you don’t just have devs do everything but like 2 less artists vs the gameplay teams or whatever). Like the fact there is no shield related build in a Greece game is problematic, as an example. Again though, this isn’t a shot at the overall game just something I think is true. I still have like 100+ hours and I’ll probably put more in or play NG+ at some point if they do that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 4, 2019

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The cult ending is super dumb because it spoils the big twist in the artifacts ending for literally no reason at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can also run poison which is early in the assassin tree and fits better than fire from a thematic standpoint for a hunter build. The fanged bow is also available relatively early to turn all arrows into poison arrows.

As long as you have multi shot and an elemental skill you have what it takes to annihilate conquest battles. It's a cheap investment that you can get going before your first conquest battle.

Also I'm fine with hunter and assassin being weaker in conquest battles. It's good for the trees to have unique advantages and drawbacks. I agree that swapping talent setups could be streamlined a bit, but it's still very easy to do. No shields is dumb but I made my peace with it. I also agree that talents could use a rework to be a bit more interesting.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

tweet my meat posted:

You can also run poison which is early in the assassin tree and fits better than fire from a thematic standpoint for a hunter build. The fanged bow is also available relatively early to turn all arrows into poison arrows.

As long as you have multi shot and an elemental skill you have what it takes to annihilate conquest battles. It's a cheap investment that you can get going before your first conquest battle.

Also I'm fine with hunter and assassin being weaker in conquest battles. It's good for the trees to have unique advantages and drawbacks. I agree that swapping talent setups could be streamlined a bit, but it's still very easy to do. No shields is dumb but I made my peace with it. I also agree that talents could use a rework to be a bit more interesting.

We’re more or less on the same page. I’ll cede the hunter stuff because frankly I realize I haven’t really tried it with all the bells and whistles available later in the game in terms of stuff. At the same time the talent system/RPG stuff is probably a little lacking compared to say environmental stuff and the game/model could see some meaningful improvement there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

It's pretty funny reading all this stuff about character builds because I felt like Devastating Shot and the bow overpower were basically the only skills worth using. Guess I should have tried other skills more?