Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Another primo :ubisoft: thread from Deakul.

Good recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm liking this game a lot. It's rather charming, and it's new/different systems feel clunky and janky but not at all in a discouraging way.

In fact I'm only having one slight hurdle, and it was the strength of the 2(a,b, and c) and 3: combat.

I can do up to 1-3 people in combat without sweating it much...but certain scenarios (like vengeance) calls for 6-8 plus where 75% of the enemies will just ruthlessly pelt you with arrows while 1-2 brawl you up front.

And more than thrice now I've had roving bands of horse patrols aggro me--and I don't just mean on the roads while I'm in combat. I was sneaking to a remote bandit camp connected to nowhere and I just get loving bee-lined, pelted, and swiped at. Like Unidad from GR:Wildlands, they just cause a stink, hurt you extra, and provide no purpose other than to harass you and kick your plans in the trash.

What I'm asking for, I guess, is a counter to these fools, especially the horse ambushers. I was sneak-walking along the dunes when they showed up and rained arrow-death on me. I had nowhere to run or hide. Is the only counter tools? Spears? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Also, be sure when you’re sneak walking along dunes that you’re using cover, because just being crouched doesn’t do much.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this is the bandit camp where you have to destroy a cache in, during a side quest. There was literally no cover on the way to it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Not sure why you're trying to sneak in, then? Just use your bow(s) to thin them, on horseback from the start.

Sneaking would have worked if not for those marauding horsemen, which is the point of the post. :argh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Earwicker posted:

maybe I spoke too soon about AI being good. I just did the mission rescuing the guy in a cage on the docks, we had so many nice opportunities to slip away but he pointlessly aggro'd every guard in the area (sometimes even going back to attack a guard who'd fallen behind) and then when we finally made it out of the docks area he went out of his way to harass random soldiers passing through on horseback until we were surrounded by a huge mob of them and killed. thanks guy

That sounds like rather realistic human stupidity to me. :laugh:

Deakul posted:

you're a 30 something year old ancient Egyptian sheriff

Okay I get that this is the role of a Medjay but why are we seemingly fighting/slaughtering "soldiers" without any repercussion? I only just got the hidden blade--so no spoilers/let me know if I'll find out soon enough but if I'm supposed to be in a position of authority, I don't understand who is full aggro on me from square one, exactly.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I love how little Auto-pilot mounts care for the well being of the chariots/donkeys/little kids they run into.

Move bitch, get out the way :frogc00l:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lollerich posted:

If you thought there were no naval battles in this, then I've got news for you:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....und-color=black

That should rope in all the jerks sour about the last couple of naval-less games.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Regarding my 'why are we fighting soldiers' question, I advanced a bit in the story and got a new badge that explains it all:

"[A] licence to kill on behalf of the Gods and Goddesses of Egypt, political immunity, and a right to enforce the law above that of mortals."

Assassin's Creed: Judge Dredd :black101:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Just got the game, am patching it, what new gadgets does this guy have to make him different from the other assassins

Hadoken. Yeah. From street fighter. Hadoken.

Sure, they call it :airquote: "fire bombs" in this game but you fling a ball at people and then there's fire. It's a goddamned fireball.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

blue squares posted:

Also I was running around the chariot racing place and kept coming across stables that were on fire for no reason

Maybe someone was betting really well?

They had a hot hand. :downsrim:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah I'm kind of amazed how good this turned out. Exploring alone is insanely fun, and even seemingly minor little sidequests can turn into long, interesting quest chains with funny/cool cutscenes and lore. I got to Alexandria and immediately warped back to finish up quests before I tackle a city.

As of this posting this is the 3rd time I had intended on finishing a quest but anything from another quest to shopping to dynamic events diverting me for about an hour of just random horsing camel-ing around Egypt.

Holy hell, this game is good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm sorry but this person is clearly not just "talking"

:catstare:

Edit: Wait what? You can sit as a passenger on an NPC boat?! :aaa:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:love::allears::love:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bayek is so far my favorite assassin, character-wise. Ezio was a fun ride but I haven't felt this charmed and invested in someone since John Marston, and that says a lot since he's probably my favorite video game protagonist to date.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Go back to the first area? Enemies don't level up like you do, so just beat up on people lower level than you. :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

quote:

Not A Very Good Port!

Sad! Ubisoft is Failing!

On the other hand, the the loot game is loving amazing in AC:O. Was doing a fort-raid for a side quest, I shank a random, unremarkable mook along the ramparts, and get this:

:aaa:

I then use it to take on the fort boss who was literally twice my height for some loving reason.

That sequence of events is exactly why I play loot-based aRPGs: the feeling of randomly stumbling upon kick-rear end gear and using it to great effect. Games I really wanted to like more than I already did, like Borderlands 2/TPS, or The Witcher 3 were very disappointing on these fronts--leaving any notable loot for only level gated dungeons or bosses--and an Assassin's Creed game, of all things, nailed it.

I sincerely adore AC:O.

Edit: tfw you were going to spend all your money on a horse palette swap but instead spend it on keeping an awesome, newly found gear on par with your level :shepspends:

Morter fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 31, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not sure what people think I'm lying about. Enemies have attacks where their weapon doesn't light up, and if I try to swing my shield out to block it anyway I get hit in the face.
I'm not going to doubt or demean you but hopefully this will clear something up:

Shields aren't meant to be brought out at the last second. Having your shield up ("Shield mode") is like the inbetween of attacks, and generally block non-glow attacks and arrows. Timing isn't involved with normal blocking.

Curiously, though, there is an option to make blocking either "Toggle" or ""Hold" and I'm pretty sure I have it on Hold (meaning I want to put my shield down once I let go of the button) but all I do is tap the button and Bayek keeps his shield up. I've gotten used to it but it's not what I'd like to do, ideally.

That said, parrying is what takes timing. It involves your shield already being up, and then tapping a different button to try and get the timing right. You can parry most, if not all attacks, I think. I definitely parried a glowing attack once. That said, most people here aren't having much success/fun with parrying, and stick to normal blocking and dodging, which seems viable for most things.

Here's hoping that helps. :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Palpek posted:

I wish this game's writers weren't so afraid of joking. It happens but very very rarely. That's what made TW3 and Ezio games great and actually gave them some tone range. I know that the protagonist is supposed to be in mourning but they don't really show that in character interactions either. Emotionally it's all pretty limited. It's still good for an AC game but maybe because of all the TW3 mechanics I'm missing some better writing.

I know he's not a wise-cracking American Action Movie star but I found the little things he did--when he smiled or frowned--especially during certain moments in cutscenes (ie: turning to a scowl after joking and drinking with friends, getting all soft around kids, or my favorite, silently mocking someone when meeting (early celebrity spoilers) Cleopatra endeared him more than enough to me. I don't mind that he's not throwing one-liners or hitting on the ladies all the time. He's an Ancient Egyptian Spectre/Super-Agent/Judge Sheriff. He'll be putting on a firm front towards most, especially if you're doing nothing but side-quests (like I am), but he's also not afraid to mention how much he's getting bothered by folks.

Also, I totally feel that they show Bayek (same spoiler as quote) in mourning with how he reacts to certain things in cutscenes, especially the assassination targets post-mortem cutscenes. Don't know why, but I'm rather fond of Bayek.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So are people aware that you can use your sword (and other melee weapons) and bow in the water?? :aaa:

For the bow you have to be above water, but the sword can be used while treading water or swimming beneath the surface. This is amazing and the game never loving told me. I found out completely by accident.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Palpek posted:

I don't know why you went for the wisecracking American movie star spouting one-liners hyperbole when I provided 2 good examples of what I meant right there in my post: Ezio and Geralt.

I feel like--accents and setting aside, they play off of that just a little. Both made my eyes roll at poor attempts of puns or shots at enemies. Obviously, not in a way to dislike them any--I like Ezio a lot--but I feel like their personalities, or at least Ezio's (I haven't played too much into The Witcher games) are influenced by the idea of screen presence and charisma, doing little things here and there to sort of wink to the audience that there is the presence of comedy or snark or what have you. Bayek and Connor, IMO, felt more fully encapsulated in their setting, so it felt a bit more realistic and immersive to play as them. But sorry if the movie actor stereotype bugged you. Not my intention to rile. :shobon:

quote:

I agree that in the cutscenes things are properly shown but I specifically wrote about character interactions

Ah, okay, I might have misunderstood your intention here but to me it seems like he just puts on different faces depending on who he's with: With random peasants he's firm but receptive (for cries of help); To children and women he's softer and more outgoing; To anyone more annoying he's curt and a bit abrasive; To his wife he's one half of a vital young couple (at least that's what's being projected) and to his enemies he's ruthless. So he's sort of "on" as a medjay when it's called for, being more reserved, and otherwise energetic and motivated to do his own thing. That's the impression I get. But I really fall for him in the cutscenes, especially The Scarab. :ohdear:

Palpek posted:

I'm missing the loss of a child theme being present in the protagonist's interactions with his wife or friends to a point that it seems weird considering that it's the main motivation for the pair's actions.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I feel like these two are super gung-ho into what they're doing to combat the feelings they have over that issue. Like if someone was trying to quit smoking by doing exercise and then became a gym-rat. I sense an almost tragic overcompensation/obsession into what they're doing, but I think I need more context into what they were doing before said incident, to make that call of if they're gong too far the other way. Regardless, from where I'm sitting, I'm intrigued enough to find out more, and that's just what I'm doing...

But all those side-quests though--which I can't help but do because even if you are over their level they give good chunks of experience to help fill out your bar. drat it. :negative:

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 1, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

You can light unlit wall-torches by standing near them. :3:

Edit: Correction: Any unlit fire-source.

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 1, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Woohoo posted:

Hm, if you stand next to torches and braziers while holding a torch, you will automatically light them. It's pretty useful in tombs later in game

I said that a page ago. :sigh:

Anyway, Here are the patch notes for 1.03

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fart City posted:

when you take control Bayek is just like "thanks, my dude," and the owner just sits down with his arms crossed.

Bayek did this every time I "borrowed" a boat...except the first time.

The first time, it was a woman steering--who also swam to me to 'pick me up'. As I saw it was 'borrow', I pressed it and watched Bayek grab her by the back of the head and fling her off the controls. She took 3 big "pro-wrestler running from rope to rope" steps and flew off the side into the waters.

Bayek, why? :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

precision posted:

No, but there apparently are Cursed weapons, I haven't found a single one yet. They triple your damage but cut your HP to 1/3.

I got one from a Phylax.

Wish his health was 1/3rd. :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Holy poo poo, I just pulled off the slickest transport heist:

Someone was hauling 20 iron on a war chariot, with 2 guards. I got Senu to harass them, then as she did her work which got him off the chariot, I pulled up close on my horse to see if I could do a 'jump from ride assassination'. I couldn't. So I hopped off and did a quick smoke bomb. While everyone was distracted, I did an Assassination on my target but we were actually really close to a bush, so Bayek instinctively attacked in a way to pull the corpse into concealment.

By the time the smoke cleared, the guards' charge was gone and I was 20 iron heavier. :frogc00l:

Also, is anyone else of the opinion that the Egyptian Hedj is a better example of an 'assassin outfit' than Bayek's default? Other than it being more orange than red, it seems more appropriate and I feel like functions as better clothing. The other outfits and colors are mostly okay but I feel like it works better, especially alongside Aya's definitely-assassin clothing.

vs

RatHat posted:

Wait can you upgrade store weapons for free by selling and then re-acquiring them from the store?

I haven't found a way to sell/dismantle store items (on the PC).

exquisite tea posted:

Did the patch that went in yesterday unfuck the PC performance? I would actually like to play this game when it's not taxing my CPU at 60% on the startup screen.
No. Still excessive CPU use. Move on.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

"I've got a nice sword! Would you like?! :black101:"

Okay, that seals it. Bayek is my favorite assassin. :3: Never has any other (assassin) character in the series entertained me as much as he has.

(The quest called "Forging Siwa")

Morter fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

precision posted:

The Phylakes really are an amazing addition to the series, and it's wild that it took them so long to introduce "what if people were hunting you too"

IMO it doesn't feel like it. Just feels like mini bosses. They have a patrol and often stop, vulnerable to assassin attempts.

Meanwhile, I get sincerely more surprised or startled by "Rogue Animal" / "Bandit Attack" events, because they literally pop up out of nowhere half the time. That's when I feel hunted. :tinfoil:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Quiet Python posted:

When you take photos on PC, where are they saved? I got a nice shot of Bayek in the desert at night and can't find it.

Documents\Assassin's Creed Origins\photos

KramFoot posted:

Also, in regards to Senu, hit Y or Triangle when she lands on you, you can feed her.

:kimchi:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

isk posted:

So, uh, I got the Pharaoh Outfit from a Heka Chest. Maybe a bug, but also hey maybe I don't need to pay real money for the rest of the stuff.

Maybe you had a Heka-va lotta good luck :downsrim:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I... actually feel kind of bad about killing the Scarab :smith:

SAND IN YOUR TEETH (if you have subtitles on)

gently caress the Scarab.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Unless bandits also do transports, I've definitely been aggro'd just standing there with a couple of folks walking past me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This horse has a sick do :rock:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Most of the time when Bayek deals with kids is the most precious/fun thing. As I posted about before, please do the Forging Siwa quest in that same town.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Does anyone have a gif of the rear end-pat? This is important.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:mmmhmm:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

precision posted:

I can't recall which mission it was, but during one of the early cutscenes there's a shot of Bayek just rolling his eyes behind someone's back while they talk and it was the greatest thing ever

The many times Bayek goes from smiling/jovial to "I'm gonna kill this motherfucker" glare is one of my favorite things about him.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

no_funeral posted:

I can't sync my photos to my ubi account. Is there some step in-game? On PS4

#NotAllRomans :hist101:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This game will not stop making me ":3:"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

This game will not stop making me ":3:"

On that note:

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Earwicker posted:

open world Aegean Sea done in the style of AC4 (i.e. you have your own personal trireme etc) would be sweet

I'm so loving done with boats, personally.