Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it possible to drop stones on enemies? The ones hoisted up by cranes? The environmental kills are so far limited to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

fwiw, as I understand it, elephants who kill humans actually do suffer real mental trauma for the rest of their lives.

There was some research making the news this week that said elephants view humans as cute. So to a war elephant their job is like having warriors dedicated to killing enemy puppies. Even worse because they don't know what's going on or why they're doing it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

I get it Ubisoft, he's on a personal journey. You know what other major RPG game character was on a quest relating to his missing daughter but who's game world wasn't a constant hamfisted reference to that motivation?

Oh poo poo, ummmm... Barret?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kidkissinger posted:

That is Sneferu’s pyramid. There’s a pyramid about 600m to the south of that one which has no point of interest markets or anything- however, I’ve seen people’s photos on the map showing first civilization stuff beneath it.

The exterior probably doesn't have an opening until you trigger a certain event in the "Gift from the Gods" quest (check your quest page). Then there's also an interior door that won't open until you solve the quest's puzzle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

Dammit, only trophy is Old Habits. I can't find any incomplete locations on the map. :saddowns:

Supposedly you have to finish the storyline and you also can't have completed any locations or even objectives as Aya.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The map doesn't show everything that's actually in the game world. You can use Senu to scout far and wide if you want to make sure an area truly has nothing. There's usually at least hunting you can do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^I honestly couldn't tell if it is faster than my camel. Maybe a bit.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

How cool would it be if "cursed" was a difficulty option you could just turn on?

If the damage boost extended to everything then that'd be great. It's really more the ranged damage and hidden blade damage that I want to be more lethal with. Lining up a headshot on some mook in a tower with my legendary, fully upgraded predator bow but not being able to oneshot him because he's only a level or two above is frustrating.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 21, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't encountered much intricate climbing or even any parkour chases that were a staple of the series. None of those situations where I absolutely needed to angle a jump in just the right way at just that moment. The climbing and navigation are pretty perfunctory. I want to go up to the top of that temple so ok, there's a wall in front of me that I will now proceed to scale with no issues or difficulties whatsoever.

I'm surprised how little I miss all that stuff from previous games. Coming off Syndicate, which I felt had reached the pinnacle by including the grappling hook, I was wondering how I'd do without it but nope. Don't care. Part of it is that Egypt is just built differently and shorter but most of it is that the rest of the mechanics have been refreshingly overhauled that the game doesn't need to lean on parkour.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really enjoyed the music in Syndicate. Reminded me of the music in the RDJ Sherlock movies. Something like jaunty... with intrigue?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

They really need to give me a scythe based on the axe animation set so that my Anubis-armored arbiter of death will be complete.

:black101:

Kind of a tease that they put the Gallic brothers in the story for you to fight. I wish I could punch and Zangief the poo poo out of enemies like the one brother who uses no weapons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Goddamnit, I was about to light up a training ground and burn the guys in it but I forgot that I switched out my predator bow with its all-arrows-on-fire attribute for a higher damage one without that perk so all I did was uselessly send an arrow to plink down on the hay-covered ground next to one of the guards and send them after me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know I can light arrows on fire but I had just gotten so spoiled and lazy from having a bow that had arrows on fire by default I totally forgot. Oh well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I just used the fire sniper bow for the whole game. My favorite thing is being able to light up felluccas with archers on them

I'm going to go back to it, just have to upgrade it first. But it really is fantastic. Especially with the guided arrow ability it's probably one of my favourite overall bow experiences in any videogame. Even if it's just lining up a dot with a guy's head, the timing and the chance you have to take that they won't move out of position makes it so satisfying, and like you said, makes you feel like a sniper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

It's the sound that bow headshots make. Another good thing to add to the flame bow + guided arrow combo is the ability that triggers slow-mo when you get a headshot from hiding so you can take out 2 guys in quick succession before they can pull up their pants.

Good point about the audio. The very arcadey crit number that pops up helps, too. On paper someone might have thought a big ol' yellow number like that would be ~~**immersion breaking**~~ but it really sells the effect of what you just did in a way that the animation of the enemy couldn't possibly achieve from so far away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The longest go-to I've had is a legendary club but it's less of a club and more like a locomotive. Same size, same weight, same acceleration. So slow but it has a great Heavy Attack that is actually a combination of a parry first, then swing. So if you wait and time it to your enemy's attack you'll just destroy them.

I usually pair it with dual blades so I can fight at any speed, though I do switch to a sword for most of my 20's once I got that Final Fantasy gear from the First Pyramid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunethex posted:

Fixed an issue with NPCs that could appear to swim on land

wasn't an issue imo

That's only NPCs. So there's still a chance we might get some tombs with enough gold in them to be able to do Scrooge McDuck-style swims through.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At level 39 I would say the main area of improvement should be the number of ways to pull guards to specific spots and the number of ways to kill them. There are certainly lots of distractions but that's not the same thing, and some of the creative ways to kill are either so slow or just shy of lethal like poison or lighting a small pot next to someone. Freeing animals or prisoners doesn't reliably kill even a single guard, let alone several.

Just doesn't seem like the way I go through an area killing all the guards is much different at my current level than it was at early levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supreme Allah posted:

There were at least four or five questions on if you cared at all about the modern world stuff, I'm guessing the feedback is resonating that it generally sucks (or at best is a needless diversion), especially as done in Origins.

They definitely didn't give me any reason to unplug from the Animus. All the cool and amazing things I can do as Bayek and I'm supposed to put that aside to... putz around some small boring cave? Maybe it eventually turns into something cool but the first two times being unplugged hint at nothing compelling to come.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, an extra dash of Hitman would serve the series well with the big, set-piece cities and open world layout. :homebrew:

Around this time last year I was about finishing with Hitman and yeah, it's hard not to compare. Nothing too elaborate though, just more ways to get guards to stand on an X that I mark and then a few things to do once they're standing there. Like there are things from this same franchise, never mind other games from other developers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What weapons do you like to use in Horde Mode?

I've only tried it the one time and it was too late for me to change the 2x two-handed loadout I was trying without reloading but I think I did okay with the flaming sceptre and the health-on-hit copper mace. Might switch out the sceptre for the instant charge dual blades or the health-on-hit sword you get from Kosey.

I've got a few more Phylakes to beat and a bunch of papyrus locations to find so I'm sure there are more Legendaries I don't have yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shredder posted:

Viper Tooth has a chance to poison on hit, which it usually does. This creates a giant cloud of death due to poisoned bodies lying all over the place, which you can just stand in the middle of or kite through while everyone stops to choke/throw up. Also the overpower is loving awesome for groups of guys.

Definitely sounds awesome but I don't have that one yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shredder posted:

I think I got mine from a phylactery so maybe go finish those guys off.

I'll make sure to destroy all those drat boxes!

Seriously though, I killed the last two last night and didn't get it. I did get yet another copy of the Fourth Plague bow. Think I'm up to three now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Phylakes, I cheesed the last two. Made them chase me up and around rock faces and as they tried to I kept dropping on them with Stealth Attacks until the attack became an Assassination. Open combat against them is too annoying unless I kite them way out to the middle of nowhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

xarph posted:

This game has more hilarious antics around setting things and people on fire than Dwarf Fortress. I cleared out an encampment by chucking a torch into a haystack next to a patrolling guard who then ran around the camp setting everything on fire until he got to the oil storage, which took care of the commander. Then I just sauntered in and looted the chest to complete the location.

I don't ever get fun stuff like this. I'm trying to get the trophy for killng 30 enemies with oil jars and I probably started way too late in the game because guards do not reliably die from fire damage so I have to set up each guard with perfect positioning, sleep darts, and at least a couple jars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

orcane posted:

Can't you go clear a level 8 camp or something low level like that?

For sure. I was back in Siwa doing something else and I burned up a couple level 1 and 2 guards. When I say "going for the trophy" I mean I'm keeping it in mind as I go through the game doing other stuff. Will go to low-level camps if I really need to but I don't want to spend my time revisiting locations just yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

orcane posted:

Yeah that's fair, doing trophies of this kind as you just play the game is the most sane/fun way, usually.

I've never been the type to plat games but it's good to keep a few of these kinds of trophies in mind while playing to provide a little incentive to improve variety.

Where the developers have done it wrong in the past was with Optional Objectives, partly because those often had interesting things to try out but it sucked that they were keyed only to their respective story chapters instead of being available as challenges during any mission or free-roam play. The Guild Challenges in Brotherhood were way better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

poptart_fairy posted:

RE: Flame jar trophy. The enemies can be unconscious when set on fire. I knocked a bunch of soldiers out and put jars on top of them. :supaburn:

That's usually been my tactic. Hit a guard with a sleep dart and bring jars over to him. Sometimes in combat I can position myself near some jars and as the guard goes past them to get to me I put `em to sleep and light up the jars.

I'd be really annoyed and perplexed if I were one of the guys fighting Bayek watching this happen. Bayek puts aways his weapons, pulls out a dart, throws it at my buddy, who immediately falls unconscious, then Bayek pulls out a bow and notches an arrow that has somehow been on fire the whole time, and fires the arrow to destroy a jar that's right there at his own feet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Krazyface posted:

Is there literally any way to kill a retreating enemy? I keep finding myself in a situation where an enemy is trotting away backwards, and I'm chasing them with a sword, and if I try to stab them the half-second of windup puts them out of range. This is the dumbest loving problem.

Use a bow, as mentioned above.
Fire a sleep dart.
Do a shield charge (requires learning that skill and uses adrenaline).
Some weapons have attacks that will have you charge at the enemy, like tapping R2 with dual blades, holding R2 with a spear, or holding R1 with a sceptre (the sceptre one requires the "push" attack skill).
Some weapons' Overpower moves will run you up to the enemy before unleashing your attack, like regular swords and dual blades.
If you get close enough, drop a smoke bomb.
If there's enough room you could call your mount.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Make liberal use of smoke bombs, especially once upgraded. Dropping one in the middle of a fight can end it real quick since everyone falls down and freaks out.

In other news I got the Anubis outfit from the god trials and the burning horse from a Heka chest so I am ready for curse of the pharaohs. Outfit is a liiiiittle over the top for the base game though.

I killed all three gods yesterday - is there something I'm missing to be able to get the outift?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I believe you get it once you go back and kill another god during a new Trial period. I’d done all but Sobek before this round of trials, so I did him and then Sekhmet again and that’s when I got the outfit.

I have to fight gods more than once? Yeah I'm not really sure the outfit is worth it. Killing them the first time wasn't all that worth it anyway, except maybe for the shield from defeating Sobek.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

You only have to fight one god a second time, not all of them. However, the second time you do it - it must be when a new event rolls around, you can't just do the quest a second time right then and there as nothing will drop.

That's what I figured, but it's tedious and grindy to do the exact same boss fight twice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supreme Allah posted:

They're pretty easy, just use weapons with health on hit. I guess that advise could apply to anything.. but if you have the Warrior and Composite bows with health-on-hit perks, they're farm meat. Throw on a health on hit/kill melee for their goons and it's unfair.

It's not about the difficulty. In a game (series?) where you never have to repeat boss fights like this it comes across poorly to me. Oh well. Not really that big of a deal. If I don't get the outfit I don't get the outfit. It's purely cosmetic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know you all were waiting to hear about my progress with the "BOOM!" trophy so you'll be delighted to learn I did earn it finally and without having to grind it or go to lower-level camps. Now to go back to my favourite method of killing, setting up chains of diseased corpses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's always one sandstorm he can never see coming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also I think he and Septimius were killed out of order, at least as far as the Targets pyramid hierarchy went.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That Phylakes spawn bug happened to me at high levels. Had to Reset All Quest Objectives to fix it and man, that is one scary button to press unless you know exactly what it means and does.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

orcane posted:

What does it do? At first I assumed it would reset your current quest, but using it triggers a warning that sounds more like "RESET ALL THE THINGS".

Supposed to reset all incomplete quests to their last completed objectives. I had 8/10 Phylakes killed so I wanted to reboot the quest and see if it would trigger the 9th guy to spawn, which it did.

I don't think the command would make much of a difference usually unless you're in the middle of a particularly long or tedious objective but the game is pretty good about keeping the distance or effort between mission checkpoints pretty small.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wrr posted:

Enjoying the game, but does it ever get to a point where I feel more like an 'assassin'? Right now I feel like the correct approach to most problems is to charge in a smash everyone with by big big hammer.

Enemies do get tougher. Assassin-type enemies show up, and in numbers. Archers get harder hitting arrows and fire arrows. Enemies throw fire bombs. And the captain-level swordsmen can cut you down pretty quickly if you don't watch out. So things can get overwhelming but you can manage it by putting distance and obstacles between you and groups. That's not really the same as being a sneaky ninja.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just got plat in this game and that's my first plat ever I think. And it's all thanks to trophies that are neither too tedious nor too difficult so a filthy casual like me can earn them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HORMELCHILI posted:

one of my favorite moments in this game was stealth killing a guard on top of a temple, poisoning the corpse, then throwing the poisoned corpse into the temple from the roof so that it landed at my targets feet and killed him

One of mine was from coming across a fortified camp down in a canyon. I had wiped out a small group of bandits only a hundred metres or so behind me, so I went back, poisoned one of the bandits, then after I loaded him up on my horse I charged at the camp and bailed off the horse just in time to send her and her cargo down into the camp. It felt like playing Just Cause again.