Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Speaking of isekai weebs, Warby Picus of Slumrat Rising fame has a new web serial called Weeaboo's Unfortunate Isekai: The Necromancer's Gacha. It's a fun break from Slumrat and is exactly what it sounds like: a weeaboo gets isekai'd into a game except it's an idler gacha and they don't get to spend any real money. Supposedly it's more lighthearted than Slumrat but that's a low bar to clear.

I gave it a read. Yep, that's certainly a story about a colossal weeb and his gacha girls, lol. I followed it, for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A bit of grumbling about the stories I've checked out:

Reincarnated into a Time-Loop Dungeon as a LVL100 Catgirl Chef!

Flipped through a bunch of chapters today and it's cute, I suppose, but too meandering and I didn't really care about the characters. I found myself skimming quicker and quicker until at some point I realized I'd load up a page, glance at it, page down and load the next one.

Weeaboo's Unfortunate Isekai: The Necromancer's Gacha

I'll still follow it for a bit, I suppose, but I don't think this is very good so far. A) The weeb caricature shtick grew old fast, B) the tower defense chapters aren't actually interesting and they're the meat of the story and C) he's hinting at a backstory of the people who were turned into the waifus and so far I don't care either.

Zeroth Moment: My Cheat Skill Is Stupid, So I'll Just Ignore It

The MC here is also a middle-aged loser, but at least he's not a weeb. The standard Ritual To Summon A Hero To Fight the Dark Lord isekais him along with a class of Japanese high-schoolers, but this is a trope subversion story and the world he ends up in is kinda crapsack, so the powers that everyone gets are based on their status in the previous world and, needless to say, our MC was a fat useless balding dumbass living on disability checks, so the guards just kick him and the other high school reject kids who got useless powers out - and things don't get any better from here.

The story is actually not bad, but the worldbuilding and story are pretty grim like, say, Dungeon Crawler Carl and I don't enjoy that in something that I have to read one update at a time.

I also gave up on The Game at Carousel: A Horror Movie LitRPG. My engagement would drop from a weak 7 to about a 4 every time they'd start a new scenario and at some point I stopped caring about the metaplot as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I finally got around to reading this and I'll second the recommendation, this is good and fun. (Don't know about 'dumb' or 'parody', I'd with 'deconstruction'.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

finally

Megazver posted:

does anyone want to restart the exciting and fruitful "SS-posters should at this point just do their own thread" discussion yet

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She is the most low profile.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Skill Thief is the one I've been reading and keep posting about - https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/72327/skill-thief-the-color-of-another-world-litrpg

It's unquestionably the biggest gap between quality and (low) popularity that I've ever encountered. I'm going to be pretty crushed if it ends up getting discontinued, because it's absolutely one of the top few serials I've read (PracGuide is #1 and I'd say that #2 and #3 are a toss-up between SupSup and Skill Thief).

I must admit I tried the first few chapters and it seemed extremely mid. I might give it another look eventually.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this just reminds me of those incredible videos where they got a hitman to play Hitman and comment on the kills

A real life hitman watches StealthGamerBR's highlights video posted:

"This... this man scares me"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ivil Antagonist

Yet another story by RavensDagger, with all of the RavensDagger tropes. Cute anime-ish girls, check. Lesbians, check. Harem collection, check, literally in this case.

The world is "Expanse-style solar system space opera, but there are xianxia cores that give people superpowers" and the MC, who is kind of a cross between Honor Harrington and not-really-evil-but-very-powerful-and-intimidating Darth Vader, is so cored-up she can stroll into a pirate station and casually dismantle it and all of its inhabitants with her mind, without actually physically moving a pinky. This makes her one of the three Emperors of the Solar System, because when someone is that powerful might as well put them in charge before they decide they want to be charge.

So what does the most powerful woman in the Human Space want? She wants True Love. So at the start of the story she goes to an oracle (cores that give magic powers, remember?) who tells her "ok, take a vacation and board this lovely-rear end spaceship undercover and you'll meet your True Love". So she does and there's an issue - there's a whole bunch of attractive eligible candidettes and which one or ones is it?! Mild shenanigans ensue.

As of me writing this the story is still in the "meeting all the harem members" setup stage with hints of the non-romance overarching story. It's fun so far, but it could become an interminable slog as some of RavensDaggers' other stories. I'll follow it for now.

Cultivating Insanity: Xianxia and Strategy

A patriarch of a sect reincarnates in the body of an initiate who dies at the same time as him. His qi pathways are burned out, but he used to be a big boy cultivator, so he knows some stuff. (But surprisingly little, given that he was supposed to be the patriarch there.) Turns out his sect kinda sucks if you're not on top of the hierarchy and everyone's a dick and he has to be ruthless as gently caress to survive and thrive.

The author wanted this to be like Reverend Insanity, so everyone's an rear end in a top hat in a crapsack world, and the MC schemes and perseveres but it's a bit of a drag tbh. Then again, I wasn't into RI either. If you actually like Reverend Insanity, you might like this, I dunno?

The Stubborn Skill-Grinder In A Time Loop

Yeah, this is a bit dumb but fun, like a somewhat better written, funnier Azarinth Healer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Haystack posted:

I'm legitimately looking forward to whatever dumb bullshit ability he gets out of his cleaning spree.

My first thought was he'll clean the Blessings off his soul

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

My first thought was he'll clean the Blessings off his soul

admittedly that wasn't very hard to guess

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

The Writathon's over and there's some pretty good stuff on the list with no views or followers.
https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/writathon/6

There's fifteen pages of links there. Any specific recs?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nrook posted:

I really do have to wonder about the folks who publish fanfiction to Royal Road. Like, nothing against fanfics, but is that really a good place to put them? I'd think literally everyone who sits down and wants to read about Naruto kissing Sasuke is going to go straight to AO3.

Worked for the Cultist of Cerebon guy; he started off posting WOW fanfic on RR, now he's making mid-four figures on Patreon posting his own poo poo for the audience he built up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh yeah, I should advertise this a bit, so, this is what i'm writing atm: Kobold., very light on the numbers litrpg type thing about a kid who has to leave her kobold home and live with humans.

It's schlock, but I'm enjoying writing it, and people seem to be enjoying reading it. It upates every other day (scheduling is magic).

edit: "scheduling is magic" should be the next RR magazine theme.

dog kobolds or lizard kobolds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
gasp HERESY

i'll give it a look