Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I've been running numbers calculating my margin of safety for weeks on taking the MR2 in the toy hauler. It checks out, so I'm going to give it a shot. We're leaving on Sunday to head down to Charleston in this configuration.

Toy haulers kinda freak me out with all that weight behind the axles. My FIL has a huge one that he hauls an off-road buggy and 2 dirt bikes in. (Plus a big roll toolbox, etc) Told me the other day he ran over some scales and weighed 32k lbs all together. I can't help but wonder how it's distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Explain like I don't understand what you're getting at (because I don't)

We're not allowed to talk politics anymore because babies here generate a bunch of post reports and the sloth has not time for that

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If he was verified it would have been ok. Nobodies aren't allowed to be comically violent.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

News said earlier that the official high was 94 loving degrees. In October.

Right now? Same news station (Fox 4) says it's 63. It's likely a little cooler where I'm at, since I'm right on a lake. Fox 4 says the overnight low is 55 at DFW, while (in)accuweather says 48 going by GPS location.

That's one gently caress of a swing.

Send some of that this way. It's miserable on the east coast

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! PROJECT BINKY TOMORROW NEW EPISODE ALERT 8PM GST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:vince:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those metal building deals are legit, generally speaking. Usually when you get into the details you'll end up wanting something not included or whatever. And the slab as priced will be thinner than you probably want for doing real car work - expecting it to handle point load like jack stands.

Realize that it's basically a metal carport frame with an enclosure kit. That's not a knock on them, but that's why it's cheap. There's not a lot to it. I was going to get one until I moved and the big shop landed in my lap.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The fibers mixed into the concrete help with cracks that form during the initial curing, but do not add the tensile strength you're looking for with concrete pad that is meant to be a work surface.

However rebar IMO is also overkill. It's a ton of work to rebar reinforce a slab. I would look into getting welded wire fabric installed. It doesn't take too awful long to properly suspend, and will add a literal ton of tensile strength.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

About to watch the new project Binky, while drinking coffee from my Bad Obsession mug.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ow.

Last week while disconnecting a mobile home service pole (house got repo'ed), I found out that two pieces of vinyl siding laying together have a coefficient of friction roughly equal to eel snot, and busted my rear end when nobody was looking. No harm though. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are good people you guys. I hope that I am a good people to others.

Last week headed south on a section of I95 I travel almost every day, I see an older guy walking toward me, gas can in hand, his prone car stopped a couple hundred feet ahead.

He picked a bad spot to break down, on a section of bridges in the swamp. Even worse was that the last exit (1.5mi) he was hoofing it toward doesn't have a gas station - and the next one is another 10 miles. No shoulder and heavy traffic made it impossible to get my large work truck stopped safely.

My next job was at the next exit (10mi south), I got that done quickly and headed back north on I95. Saw him across the median, he had made it to about 1/4mi from the gas-less exit. Got turned around, stopped, and he accepted my offer of a ride to get fuel. Especially when I told him how far it was - the flip phone clipped on his belt didn't have Google. Turns out he and his wife are moving to Bluffton SC, from Rhode Island. Originally from Vermont, actually from an adjacent town to my wife's family. Told me about how in college (1966), he and four other guys drove non-stop from New Jersey to LA California in 58 hrs in a 1955 Chevy. Insisted on buying me a drink at the gas station, and wouldn't take the change back from his $20.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

btw I had to move the 450lb monstrosity all by myself. Probably not the smartest thing since I just dislocated my shoulder a week ago and it still hurts like gently caress.

Ugh, I popped mine out last year laying out to grab a chicken :v:. Took about a month to get right.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dagen H posted:

*Googles "incel"*

Oh...oh my.

Same. Wtf.

Could we just call them weirdos? Their little self description is kind of empowering, and it doesn't deserve that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

That is the tiniest baby

Congrats!

Europeans prefer everything to be more economical.

Congrats!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shitposting?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Full Windsor looks retarded unless you're a big dude.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Long story short, someone bought a purebred Patterdale terrier from a breeder in Ohio, had it shipped here to SC. Had the dog for months, took very good care of her. Socialized, house trained, very easy to deal with. The best terrier puppy I've ever been around.

We don't know the story, but she got dropped off at a local fox hunt, said they couldn't take care of her, and from there taken to the shelter. The shelter vet works 1 day a week with my wife, and brought it over "in case someone here wants it"....knowing good and well my wife has terriers. She called me and I could not make any objection.

Tl;dr - we have another dog. Her name is Darby.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 28, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So scare, so danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My FIL runs them on his new f350 camper hauler. I can ask what brand he recommends, he's a pretty good shopper. He happens to be here now - I spent most of my free time this weekend adding a service panel with 50A rv plug, and repairing the water line at my shop and adding a frost-free spigot. Next up is adding a backflow preventer and cleanout tee so they can dump into the septic tank. Oh joy.

(I knew this stuff was coming up, and planned to start on it this weekend anyway, but finding out on Wednesday that they would be here on Saturday moved everything into hurry-up)

• Locked thread