Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
H e l l o vidcons cchat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Whatup bruv

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I only beat Infection myself, but I'm gonna try and finish the other three before the G.U. HD games come out.

Kind of glad I waited to try those later ones now.

Do you have a means of cheating in any virus cores you'll need? Because that's the biggest issue in the original games. You get to a point where in order to progress, you need to get virus cores to unlock the next area, so you go hunting for virus cores, but the virus cores won't drop and you have no way to guarantee they'll drop and the process of virus core hunting increases your infection rating and at some point that'll just give you a game over if it gets too high and the only way to lower it is to kill enemies normally, with larger enemies lowering it the most, but in the later games most of the large enemies are databugs which means they can only be killed by data draining them which fills up your infection rating so you're stuck searching around random maps trying to find large monsters that aren't databugs so that you can fight them to lower you infection rating so that you can safely data drain the databugs and hope that you manage to get the virus core you need so that you can progress, and then you get the virus core and go through the next story area and then find that the very next one is locked off by another virus core gate.

Hell.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

hello shodan

Shodan more like

Chode-Man

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

HoboNews posted:

A good cat is a dead cat.
Happy birthday!

Wow hella rude

My condolences about your cat, I don't know what your particular religious beliefs are but I want you to know that regardless of said beliefs, your cat is no longer in any pain and does not suffere and this is a sad occasion for sure, Lizard Wizard, but remember that your cat loves you very much and that nothing is going to change the memories and experiences you shared together. Your cat will always be your cat and you'll always be able to take comfort in knowing that for the brief period of time your cat was on this planet, that you were able to be his friend.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

In his defense it's very true because he was nothing if not a good cat.

It reads more like he's saying that the only good cat is a dead one

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

I didn't play Nioh so until I looked that up on youtube with sound I never realized it was the man saying that and not the cat itself

I haven't played Nioh (and never will unless it gets a PC release because I don't have a ps4) and I found out that while it's the guy saying the words, it's the cat that causes him to say them.

Turns out that historically there's a thing about cats eyes being used as a sorta clock where you look at their eyes and you can tell very roughly what time it is based on how dilated their pupils are. So it's not just some random thing the game made up hahaha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't mind the springle thing because, near as I can tell, that is a rejection letter for a partner position which is just a special kind of account thing and isn't an occupation or paid position or anything along those lines.

Though messing it up as "without further adieu" instead of "ado" is :laffo:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

It's regarding a business relationship and should be written by an adult for an adult.

It didn't seem like it was about a business relationship to me but that's just me.

e: I mean, I think the letter thing is dumb, but as far as I can tell it seems like a failed attempt at a cutesy rejection notice trying to let people down easily and unintentionally coming off as belittling. If it is legitimately business related then sure that's even worse but it doesn't seem like the position is anymore business-related than a moderator position at something awful is.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 1, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Freshly Litigated Springle's Cozy Debtor's Prison

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I have now been on this site for three years straight! :toot:

'm srry

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the regdate emotes and it is a shame they don't seem to happen anymore even if they're basically useless and are used for nothing more than vanity stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
2004 :regd04:
2005 :regd05:
2006 :regd06:
2007 :regd07:
2008 :regd08:
2009 :regd09:
2010 :regd10:
2011 :regd11:

Then it skips 2012 and goes to

2013 :regd13:

Then skips 2014 and 2015

2016 :regd16:

Meh, I liked the neat setup they had going but I guess nobody cares enough about them now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/903800374808633344

Inkopolis is a place to rock.

It is a shopping center where they buy clothes to stay fresh.

It is a good place to listen to the music.

INK AND SPLAT INKOPOLIS

INK AND SPLAT INKOPOLIS

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Arby's Curly Fries are top tier

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hell, agreed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I'm reading some interactive fiction and found this sequence pretty amusing:

e: The Writer Will Do Something

What was the clever thing they did in dark souls that he was referring to

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think it's the game's opening, but that's not really the point?

I gotta have context, Strix!

I gotta know what he was even talking about because it's important!!

I've gotta know what relevant/irrelevant thing that guy was trying to claim dark souls was an example of!!!

!!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the way it handles its story, which is the same way king's field handled its story, so it all works out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The BK Kids Club, but it's SquidVid instead of KidVid

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Is this a photoshop?

There's something off about this picture, just off enough that it makes me feel like it is a photoshop

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Should I give context for this or should I just leave this here, corn in the bible style :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

What is Hank's relation to hot feet?

Ya ever stand on hot material?

I can tell you from personal experience, it ain't fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whatever situation you're in, no matter how bad it is, no matter how quickly you need to get out of your home right then and there, always make sure to grab your shoes so you aren't stuck walking on freshly-tarred road on a hot, hot day

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

shoes (and socks) are for suckers

Your feet are gonna feel like suckers after they keep picking up all kinds of poo poo with the tar that gets stuck to the soles

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

yeah this is no joke. i made this mistake once and got blisters from summertime asphalt. walking was torment.

Yeah. Talk about a pain in the...well, foot.

If you're ever in a situation where you've got a person screaming at you to get out of the house and shouting at you while you're trying to grab your things, good lord make sure you grab your loving shoes

doingitwrong posted:

Cool! I have been wondering what comes in that package. I signed up for a more extensive thing because I'm really interested in this style of storytelling. So far, it's been exceeding my expectations.

Yeah that one is on their website as a missed package, near as I can tell there have been two packages (though only one is listed on their site). It looks really interesting and I wouldn't mind getting it but to get the old packages you have to drop 40 bucks whereas the new ones are all 30 bucks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

brah no need you just gotta go barefoot all the time like in hawaii and your body will be ready

I live in Pennsylvania, man. Our roads are always under construction and always tarred to hell and back. I dunno what's going on in Hawaii but you'd better get outta there if everything's covered in tar.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

just more proof that botw isn't good :(

Ok I'm not trying to poo poo on you for this and I apologize if this comes across as me trying to be rude or anything but is this gonna be an ongoing thing? I feel like you've been on a "breath of the wild is bad" kick and making sure everybody knows you think it is bad but I don't know if maybe it is just me or what. If it really is just me, I apologize for causing any trouble, and if it isn't just me, I still apologize because I'm not trying to call you out for not liking the game or anything like that. It just seems a bit excessive the way you're handling it is all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

This is the lamest flame of all time

Turn on your monitor

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That is the lamest flame

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't sign your monitor.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Games shouldn't become shittier the better you understand them, or reward you for remaining ignorant. That they knew enough to realize they had to hide it but not enough to realize they shouldn't do it at all makes it even worse.

Some of them might even be fine as explicit mechanics; Caves of Qud has a gun that says right in the description that the final bullet is always a critical hit, for instance.

Sorry if this was brought up already but would you say the final boss of silent hill is a good example of this kind of thing where if you're running out of ammo, the last bullet will kill it? That was neat but I remember hearing that that was kind of unintentional, I don't know how true that is though.

Joke answer: original xcom switching you to easy as a result of a bug so that you'd feel like a badass on hard difficulties without realizing the game had switched over to easy at some point and you think you've just gotten really good at dealing with aliens, and then terror from the deep comes along and has the exact opposite issue where you start off easy and discover that the game is way too hard because, in addition to loving with the weapons and making a lot of them worse than their ufo defense counterparts, the difficulty setting is bugged and switches itself to the hardest difficulty regardless of what you pick.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. I admit it's a tricky problem in games with long loading times or other factors that make "just let the player lose and try again" excessively aggravating, but there are other solutions.

You could give the player a fallback weapon that doesn't use ammo but has poor range or some other quality that makes it inferior (gotta be careful here, though, because there are wrong answers here -- "it deals no damage" is pretty miserable, and at the same time you don't want to end up with a Bioshock Wrench situation where your default fallback is one of the best weapons in the game, at least if you're aiming for survival horror.)

You could provide some source of ammo in the boss room that's telegraphed but involves some kind of risk, like there's no cover and it spawns on alternating sides of the room, or you have to kill an add to get it.

You could go really experimental and make a game where occasional failure is expected and the game goes on in different directions when you lose fights, presumably simply arriving at an alternate ending if you fail the final boss.

e: And if you do go with the "just let the player lose and try again" solution, make sure the fight ends as soon as it becomes unwinnable. Being stuck in an unwinnable state and not yet realizing it is pretty lovely too.

Well, no, Silent Hill had melee weapons and the boss can be killed normally, it's just that the whole "last bullet" thing is a dramatic effect kind of thing to give the experience of "hoo boy I'm sure glad that last shot hit" or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it works.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would that one part of eternal darkness count, the bit where the player can't actually die and it becomes slowly apparent to the player that they're becoming a zombie? Without straight up announcing to the player "hey you're a zombie and you can no longer die"?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad the lady who knowingly sent a cat to what could have been its horrifying demise didn't get popular off of her stunt.

Real hurthling! posted:

Go back and listen to the giant bomb goty podcast when brad retells every beat of the story to a hostile room cause he thinks its great

Do you have a link to it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:thunk:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also I totally forgot Spectre Knight came out for Shovel Knight so I got that to play while I slowly die from this tonsillitis.

Are you excited for the Specter Knight amiibo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

I didn't know what amiibos were until I went to Japan the other month and saw them and had to ask a friend what they were.

So, not really but if I can get one as well as Shovel Knight then they can join my Fry & Venomancer figurines on my desk at work I guess.

Huh

I'm surprised you didn't know what amiibos were until a month ago. I figured everyone in games just kinda knew about them by now.

• Locked thread