Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like video games have outpaced me and my financial situation. Last console I owned was a PlayStation 2, and now my gaming PC has almost-ten-year-old parts that probably need replacing. I tried Mankind Divided, but my computer can't handle it, making the fans sound like an airplane engine and subsequently crashing every ten minutes.

I can't really justify spending money on games right now, so I've not been paying much attention to gaming news over the past few months, which in turn means that I'm out of the gamer loop and feel a little alienated. I'm still spending plenty of time playing games, but mostly old ones like Deus Ex, some Metal Gear Solids and most recently Baldur's Gate. I can't participate in the jokes and goofs in these threads anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't played Nioh (and never will unless it gets a PC release because I don't have a ps4) and I found out that while it's the guy saying the words, it's the cat that causes him to say them.

Turns out that historically there's a thing about cats eyes being used as a sorta clock where you look at their eyes and you can tell very roughly what time it is based on how dilated their pupils are. So it's not just some random thing the game made up hahaha

That probably only works if the cat isn't tucked under a shirt

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The game I own the most of is Resident Evil 4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The opening cinematic and the item descriptions are the only objective storytellers in the game, and even then only the former gives you any information about the greater context, and you don't even realize it the first time you watch it! Everything else is obfuscated by half-relevant NPC dialogue, leading to that foggy sense of direction the series is known for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RE4's item distribution has to be the prime example

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

So was Tacoma cool? I feel like nobody's talking about that game in the slightest. And I before you ask I like Walking Sims so I'm just curious about why this one came and went

I've been avoiding reading about it, but all I've heard is that it just isn't as interesting as Gone Home. I'll personally grab it on sale

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

kill self

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean something like that is going to happen at least once or twice with every SMT game

that's just how it is

It's bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What made Super Metroid so good was that it knew when to shut the gently caress up and let you play

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is controller gore

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All of these games were featured in Nintendo Power, they didn't have that many standards back then huh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has the girl on the left ever won one of these things?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I summon people even against bosses I've never faced before. Suck it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love doing it. Bosses are the least fun part of the games for me, you guys are engaging in the "This is the right way to play" we were all just complaining about

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

"The right way to play" and "the intended way to play" are pretty different. There is no objectively correct way to play, but I can say with relative confidence that you are not meant to steamroll your way through your first blind playthrough with bodyguards who already know what they're doing.

edit: And if that's how you wanna play then that's fine, but "so you're saying I'm playing wrong" is a pretty crappy defense

How do you figure what the intended way to play is? They don't gate summons behind deaths.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's sorta common sense? Summoning is basically a way to choose your difficulty, and the default is not having any or even having the ability to summon. You don't start as human or with the white soapstones in any of the souls games (or Demon's Souls), save for 2 where becoming human is part of the tutorial.

It's trivially easy to become human, in fact in 3 you become human whenever you beat a boss. The soapstones aren't ever hidden, and aren't even necessary to summon. It's not some secret mechanic, reserved for New Game Plus.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Summoning NPCs in 1 sometimes granted their equipment if you beat the boss with them (the Witch lady, Paladin Leroy), and 3 has that AND you can get gestures!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know what?...

Humans are the real monsters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stay safe goon friend

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who the gently caress is even named Irma these days, really

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

a.lo posted:

my sister

you gently caress

I'm sure she's super cool and lovely but her name sucks, sorry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So um what's GotM so far?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Erg posted:

it's ys8, coming out in 25 hours

Nope you can't do that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can't do that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There were some people last month who were like: "Here's my top 10 GotY for this year, two of which are games that I haven't played yet because they haven't been released yet but I'm sure they'll be in my top 10", like cum on

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My GotM: your mom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone brought to my attention that Paul Rudd will eventually star in a rom com opposite a woman who hasn't been born yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Canada, 9/11 is called 11-09-01

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can I still consider myself a Metroid fan if I only liked Super Metroid and Zero Mission?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Metroid is a bad series

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I only like two games out of like six that I've played, but I really really love those two games. I am so conflicted, I'm not happy at all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Super Metroid was my first Metroid game. It's also the most perfect game in the world

I played Prime next. It's okay but I'll never play it ever again.

Then I played Fusion. The story and narration and computer dude were all dumb and I didn't enjoy myself

Zero Mission was real cool

I played Prime 2. I don't remember much about it, I'll amend that some day.

I rented Other M before I knew about its eventual reputation. I hate Metroid now

That's me. That's what my life is like. Take it or leave it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I like the boss fights in Metroid, but the actual exploration doesn't do nearly as much for me.

That's super interesting to me. I'm the exact opposite.

I might enjoy the boss fights more, but Samus never really had a good way to dodge attacks.

Have you ever played AM2R? That should turn you off Metroid boss fights forever.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anime killed Metroid

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Conquer the USA as Communist Canada in Hearts of Iron 4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once they make human-game marriage legal in 2027, I'm going to marry Super Metroid

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I can't make my alarm music something I like because I'd learn to hate it.

Same with ringtones imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never been to Korea, is that really how Korean laughter sounds like??

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MwMSX0qqw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This thread is the only place I ever hear about Ys, as far as I'm concerned it's not a real series of games

• Locked thread