Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zeroisanumber posted:

They were selling a $400 juicer with a subscription for their dumb juice service but the machines themselves probably cost more like $1200 to produce.

This guy is an electrical engineer (or something) who dismantles one and he's super-impressed with their high quality molded parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

This is strangely enthralling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It was some sort of lizard. Chameleons I think?

Jackson's Chameleon specifically, though it's a bit different from other mutants since ~according to Fallout Lore~ they were actually created before the war as weapons and then released into the wasteland as a result of the nuclear apocalypse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

An 18 hour old tweet by an unverified nobody with less than 100 retweets isn't a current event

Good news! The Washington Post disagrees.

Trump plans withdrawal from South Korea trade deal
http://wapo.st/2gylx4T

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm sure our President will have a calm and reasoned response to this entirely foreseeable development.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

man it must be embarrassing to have one of the dumbest people in america running your country

Yes.

Yes it is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The nukes are already on their way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

McNally posted:

I've been seeing "poor misunderstood North Korea is the victim" memes on Facebook. One of them said that North Korea hasn't been at war since 1953.

Did I wake up in an alternate reality this morning?

Many people on the internet are morons, news at 11

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

KildarX posted:

Why are people worried about Atlanta? Once it hits land doesn't it dissipate pretty quickly?

Usually. Not always.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

current event: gently caress the pats

The one thing all right-thinking Americans can agree on :911:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

Lol then came tribute.avi

I mean, it's still Something Awful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
scat.avi was ahead of its time

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's worth noting that Buffalo of all places went more than four years without a fatal police shooting, thanks in part to good luck, good training, and a focused effort on working with the community.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I think cops should be embedded with communities, particularly higher risk communities like inner cities.

Instead of cops only showing up when a body drops in Chicago, for example, those kids should know cops by name and be able to feel like they are friends with them. That might go a long way to helping alleviate a lot of inner city violence AND eliminating distrust between people and the police.

I'm probably talking crazy talk and describing some utopia where funding exists and cops aren't as scared of young black men in the inner cities as much as young black men in the inner cities are scared of cops. But hey a guy can dream.

That's literally what's described in the article I posted:

quote:

[A]t Buffalo’s 2006 Juneteenth festival, a young man fired toward a crowd with a machine pistol. Violence was a recurring problem at Buffalo Juneteenth, where local gang members went to intimidate their enemies. Nineteen-year-old Pierre Martin heard gunfire that afternoon and believed his friends were in danger. He returned fire with a MAC-10, the bullets escaping so quickly that he lost count of the shots. Miraculously, no one was struck. But the police went after him, and Pierre Martin began to run.

Lt. Steve Nichols chased him out of the park and onto a side street, where he disappeared behind a house. Someone on a front porch silently pointed Nichols in the right direction. I have to shoot this kid, Nichols remembers thinking. He came around the corner, gun drawn, and saw Martin, hands on knees, catching his breath. Martin would say he’d already thrown away the gun, but Nichols would recall seeing it at his feet, barrel still smoking.

Nichols did not shoot. He charged, knocking Martin down and applying handcuffs. Martin took a plea deal and spent less than two years in prison. He left the gang, missed out on a bank robbery and entered peaceful civilian life. And that day became a turning point in Buffalo history.

City leaders made a plan to save Juneteenth: They asked several groups of anti-violence activists to join forces in a new organization called the Buffalo Peacemakers. The Peacemakers turned out at the next Juneteenth, helping police identify and peacefully remove nearly 80 gang members. It worked so well that Mayor Byron Brown expanded the Peacemakers' role and eventually found money to pay them modest stipends. Today they serve as a kind of civilian buffer between the police and the community, a benevolent presence that helps each group see the other in a better light. Nichols is now the captain in charge of community policing, and a 6-foot-7 grandfather named Murray “Six” Holman leads the Peacemakers. Nichols recently said to Holman, “I talk to you probably more than I talk to my wife.”

Make no mistake: Buffalo has a history of police misconduct just like any other city. Local news outlets have reported extensively on police scandals large and small. One of the Peacemakers, Willie Green, remembers the time in 1997 when an officer wrote him a speeding ticket. Green called him a liar in court. When they met again on the street, according to Green, “He choked me and said, ‘If you see me, you run.’” In 2014, an officer was caught on smartphone video punching a handcuffed suspect. Public defender Rebecca Town said she is not convinced officers always have probable cause when they stop and question young men on the street. One of those young men, Brandon Grazes, 23, said he was recently walking with a bag of groceries in one hand and an icicle in the other. He was joking around with a friend, pretending to have a cane, but he says an officer told him to throw it on the ground because it could be a weapon.

“Buffalo police know how to ruin a mood,” he said.

The Peacemakers and other anti-violence activists work hard to change that perception. This matters for several reasons. Young people who don’t hate or distrust the police are less likely to draw guns on the police, and thereby less likely to get shot by the police. Arlee Daniels Jr., former leader of the Manhattan Lovers street gang, teaches young men to show their hands, give their names, show ID. He tells them, “Police are not there to hurt you.” Peacemaker George Johnson says some children in Buffalo’s poor neighborhoods have never seen Lake Erie, even though it’s four or five miles away. He takes them on fishing trips and brings police officers along. If it’s easy to hate the uniform, it’s harder to hate the person who helped you reel in your first bass.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Copied from D&D:

botany posted:

https://hopenothate.com/

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html

quote:

Last September, Patrik Hermansson, a 25-year-old graduate student from Sweden, went undercover in the world of the extreme right. Posing as a student writing a thesis about the suppression of right-wing speech, he traveled from London to New York to Charlottesville, Va. — and into the heart of a dangerous movement that is experiencing a profound rejuvenation.

Mr. Hermansson, who was sent undercover by the British anti-racist watchdog group Hope Not Hate, spent months insinuating himself into the alt-right, using his Swedish nationality (many neo-Nazis are obsessed with Sweden because of its “Nordic” heritage) as a way in. It wasn’t always easy. “You want to punch them in the face,” he told me of the people he met undercover. “You want to scream and do whatever — leave. But you can’t do any of those things. You have to sit and smile.”

[...]

Some of Mr. Hermansson’s most arresting footage comes from a June meeting with Jason Reza Jorjani, a founder, along with the American white nationalist Richard Spencer and others, of the AltRight Corporation, an organization established to foster cooperation and coordination among alt-right groups in Europe and North America.

Mr. Hermansson and Mr. Jorjani met at an Irish pub near the Empire State Building, where the baby-faced Mr. Jorjani imagined a near future in which, thanks to liberal complacency over the migration crisis, Europe re-embraces fascism: “We will have a Europe, in 2050, where the bank notes have Adolf Hitler, Napoleon Bonaparte, Alexander the Great. And Hitler will be seen like that: like Napoleon, like Alexander, not like some weird monster who is unique in his own category — no, he is just going to be seen as a great European leader.”

More shockingly, Mr. Jorjani bragged about his contacts in the American government. “We had connections in the Trump administration — we were going to do things!” he said at one point. “I had contacts with the Trump administration,” he said at another.

(read the full article, watch the videos as well.)

quote:

As video Hermansson provided to the New York Times shows, he got one of the group’s highest-ranking members — Alt-Right Corporation board member Jason Reza Jorjani — to admit his “final solution” for minorities.

“It’s gonna end with the expulsion of the majority of the migrants, including [Muslim] citizens,” Jorjani told an undercover Hermansson at a pub near the Empire State Building in New York City. “It’s gonna end with concentration camps and expulsions and war at the cost of a few hundred million people.”

(http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/its...cubtBIc.twitter)

loving Christ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Christ Almighty :stare:

https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/910644552502931457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol get wreked idiot

As you can clearly see he already did :eng101:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/911621918025019394

Hahaha half the goddamn NFL is gonna be sitting for the anthem at this rate.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/911621286203404288

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Two Finger posted:

july was pardoning shitbag arpaio wasn't it

also it's kinda cheating but he was definitely slagging off hilary

No Arpaio was only like two weeks ago, though he was hinting he was going to do it for a while before then.

July was mostly Russia Investigations and the last failure of the healthcare bill in the Senate IIRC, though I'm sure I'm missing roughly twenty different things that happened.

Oh also THE MOOCH

Edit: Also the fallout from THE MOOCH, including Sean Spicer and Reince getting fired

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not sure how that's comforting.

There's not much comfort to be had these days.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BadOptics posted:

Or we could invest that money into healthcare, education, school nutrition programs, etc that would all have a positive effect on not only the military but American society as a whole. Maybe even throw some of that $$$ to the VA to make sure those who served their country are cared for properly by a well-staffed and functioning organization. I will admit it's not as sexy as the 500th M1 Abrams the Army doesn't want, another tomahawk to blow up some insurgents armed with AK's, or providing Boeing/LockMart CEOs with retirement parachutes, but maybe we could give it a try.

I mean, it's not a binary. There's no reason why the US can't spend ludicrous amounts of money on the military and have a robust social safety net.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Acting Administrator of the DEA is stepping down

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One of the few times I'm glad I went to Arby's instead

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why is the Alabama race so significant? It seems like the winner is super loving evangelical and conservative, and since it's Alabama, I'm assuming he beats the democrat in December?

In addition to what others have said:

Roy Moore is loving nuts. He was a federal judge who was removed for defying higher court orders, was elected to the state Supreme Court, and kicked out again. He is a goddamn lunatic who literally pulled a pistol out at a rally and started waving it around, and would institute the social order of the middle ages in the US if he thought he could get away with it.

The real difference between him and Strange, though, is that while Strange was also garbage, Strange was garbage that would have been a reliable vote for McConnell in the Senate. Moore? He'd be like the House Freedom Caucus, a group so insanely right-wing that they actively prevent the Republicans from being able to enact their agenda. Having him in the Senate would be a bad thing for America in general, but it would give McConnell an even tougher time in trying to hold his razor-thin majority together.

The other thing to keep in mind as well is that the Democrat, Doug Jones, is reasonably popular within the state and recently polled within five points of Moore. It's a long shot, but there is a chance, however narrow, that Moore turns into the next Todd Akin and becomes too toxic for even the people of Alabama, allowing the Democrats to achieve a previously unthinkable pickup. And if the Democrats can win in loving Alabama... 2018 starts looking like a real bloodbath.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd just want US and the UN to be involved in polling the local population to see what group they're part of and draw the lines around that. 'This town is 85% kurdish and is now within the boundaries of kurdistan. This town is 50/50 but in a much more statistically Sunni region so it stays part of Iraq'

Collect the polling data and I could have given the structure before fine tuning after my freshman GIS class

Counterpoint: this approach has some issues

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Personally I blame the British. loving Balfour Declaration! :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/noonanjo/status/913053252681428994

:allears:

Hmmm yes, this is exactly why PR is hurting right now.

On a related note:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/913088395286597633

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FastestGunAlive posted:

Lee was actually pretty drat incompetent. Remembering him as a legit general is part of the myth

Eh, he made some bad errors, but there was a reason why the war lasted four years.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FastestGunAlive posted:

He didn't so much lead them as he did direct and suggest. He was very hesitant to be direct and was too hands off. He often gave very broad guidance and stepped away, expecting his generals to plan the details together. Which, did not work out well given the independent streak you mention. Im not saying he is the worst general ever or even the worst confederate general; the confederacy could have done far worse for a head general but the union could have done far better (they did)

Counterpoint: Lee was a highly intelligent and aggressive general who was an expert at identifying the psychology of his opponent, and only very rarely made truly disastrous decisions (Picket's Charge). He was hands off, but that was because he knew how to delegate to his typically subordinates, particularly Stonewall Jackson and Longstreet (Though obviously this was far less effective after Jackson died and Longstreet was transfered west).

To put it bluntly: A mediocre general does not win Chancellorsville. Hell, a merely good general doesn't win Chancellorsville. And Lee didn't just win-he inflicted one of the most crushing military victories of all time on Joe Hooker. That, in spite of everything else, says a hell of a lot for his ability.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FastestGunAlive posted:

Counter counter point. His aggression hastened the destruction of his army, particularly in genius moves like deciding to invade Maryland. He demonstrates tactical prowess at Chancellorsville but if he had any operational or strategic knowledge he could have done even better by doing basic things such as conducting reconnaissance and making maps or establishing worthwhile staffs. Despite his engineering experience, his army had no engineer corps to speak of, weak artillery and negligible comm, logistics, and Intel. For four months before Chancellorsville he and his generals sat idle instead of scouting or doing much of anything. Jackson even died, shot by his own men, while on a night time recon, because he had maps and no knowledge of the terrain. Chancellorsville may have demonstrated some brilliant maneuvering but he came out worse overall then the federals; he could afford his casualties far less than they could.

He was not delegative, he was hand cuffed by his own concept of gentlemanly conduct. There was a serious hesitation to hold generals accountable for poor performance, as not to offend their honor. After Gettysburg he wrote "I hope the official reports will protect the reputation of every officer."

At Malvern Hill he gave the responsibility for assessing the effects of confederate artillery and thus signaling the general assault to the brigadier general located on the far right of his army; who could neither observe it nor communicate the order to the rest the army effectively. When Hood was arrested by Evans, Lee did not interfere or rule on what his subordinates were doing. When Antietam started, he asked Hood to apologize to Evans so that he could be released to lead his men. When Hood refused, Lee compromised by having the arrest temporarily suspended.

Fair enough, you're clearly more well-read on the subject than I am, and I'll defer to your expertise (though I still think Lee was pretty good, though certainly a far less strategic thinker than someone like Grant)

You know who never gets enough respect though? George Thomas. He was a Virginian, like Lee, who could have easily fought for the Confederacy. But he stayed with the Union, fought under Grant in the West, and was one of the only commanders in the entire war to destroy an opposing army in the field at Nashville. Dude owned.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

This is horrifying:

I will echo the sentiment that I hope there is a hell so the people who ignored this can suffer in it.

:stare: Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914497947517227008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:stare:

• Locked thread