Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smiling Jack posted:

just a reminder that this thread had a brief flirtation with worshiping a nuclear missile and it's still the least insane current events thread

Lol as if we ever stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The nukes are already on their way.

Inshallah

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Waroduce posted:

im gunna be so loving butt hurt if we loose power on nfl kick off weekend gently caress

also pray for me etc etc etc

same but if I miss seeing a nuclear detonation over Pyongyang in glorious full colour 4k resolution.

also don't die please

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Waroduce posted:

my mother is convinced its not gunna hit us

ive been meaning to put together a survival/hurricane/nuclear war pack so i just got a first aid kit, a fixed bladed survival knife, 2x headlamps, a compass and a battery pack

you're missing a few AR15s and truckloads of ammo if you want to become an apocalyptic warlord, shame.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Huh, good news out of congress for once.

Anyways, the Virgin Islands is gunna have to change their name. They're going to get hosed by Irma.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lordy. Looks like someone dropped a JDAM on that house in the first picture.

BigDave posted:

Why weren't Lee or Davis tried for treason? You'd think it would be a open-and-shut case.

Call it Truth and Reconciliation. Prosecuting lots of Southerners as traitors would only cause further simmering unrest and, most likely, an ongoing guerrilla insurgency.

...moreso than the KKK already was, at any rate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BigDave posted:

I can't help but wonder how this will affect the international real estate market. A lot of overseas cash has been flowing into Miami and Florida condo projects, mainly from Chinese and Russkies getting their bribe money out of the country. If Irma takes out a bunch of high-rises and developments, it could start a no-poo poo recession.

Here or there, because one of those is a good thing and one very much is not.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

"Earthquake Swarm" is a delightful phrase I had never heard before and now wish I could strike from my memory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'll wait for the CBO scoring first.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Coldwar timewarp posted:

As it should be. Don't be a stupid democrat and start your proposal from a position of compromise. That's the problem with the centrist garbage, they cede ground before negotiations begin.

Fully covering dental, vision, rehab, and prescriptions is batshit loving insane. Canada's already having serious issues paying for their UHC, and they cover a fraction of Sanders' own plan.

While the United States manifestly needs universal healthcare, that's best accomplished with a multi-payer system that allows for supplemental insurance to cover things like prescriptions, vision, dental and the like.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

unbutthurtable posted:

Oh, that's what would be best?

Thanks for letting us know!

Best, who can say.

but it'd be better than the pie in the sky future Sanders' bill offers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

From Maggie Haberman, tweets combined for a quick read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/politics/jeff-sessions-trump.html?_r=1

While Trump is STILL attempting to re-litigate Charlottesville and STILL sticking to "many sides."

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/908421087142260738

Ignoring the Charlottesville thing, hearing about Sessions getting hosed over by the president... over and over again, may well be one of the most satisfying things I've ever read.

The full NYTimes article is worth a read.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ceiling fan posted:

I've got a problem with the CIA director protesting it. Because he's doing a lovely job of it. Reading that letter made me more sympathetic to Manning than anything else I've read or heard about her.

How on earth?

Pompaeo is a fool, but nothing he said in that letter was wrong.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cuz at least Kissinger did his absolute best to secure American interests. You can quibble over his methods, but he sure as hell isn't a traitor.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

It could be argued that Manning was doing her best to secure American interests as well, though.

I rather doubt even Manning thinks that's true, and given how the diplomatic cables leaks hosed our diplomatic relations with a bunch of different countries I'm not finding that argument terribly compelling.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes. Let's poke at Iran who recently reelected the most liberal government since the revolution. No way that could backfire like when the Bush administration did it 15 years ago.

I mean let's not let our distaste for Trump cloud the fact that the Iranian government, "liberal" in comparison or not, is one of the most regressive and malicious actors in the Middle East.

Sure, the KSA is poo poo too, but let's not forget that Iran funneled the $200 odd billion we unfroze and funnelled a huge portion of it into Quds force and Hizballah operations in Syria, as well as brutal Shiite PMUs in Iraq and the Houthis in Yemen. Whose flag, for reference, literally says "God Is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So, today, May set out a vision, with some interesting tidbits. Things I took away from it:
  • The UK is willing to honour its commitments for the 2020 budget. This does not include additional liabilities that the EU claims to have, though.
  • She wants a transition period following 29-03-2019 to ensure that the Brexit isn't a full-on cliff for either side. During this time, EU law is applicable, as is free movement, though people entering are subject to registration pending a final decision.
  • May offered to write in legal safeguards for EU citizens in the UK into the exit bill. Presumably, she is angling for similar language from the EU regarding UK citizens. Pretty much nothing on the Irish border, though.
  • With regards to trade, she said that neither the EU courts nor UK courts should be arbiters in any disputes.

• She called for being imaginative in thinking, not wanting to commit to either a Norway-style agreement or a Canada-style agreement.
The Guardian summary, BBC article, Full speech with annotations by the FT.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

el mag i hope the family is ok

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

This is incredibly satisfying. I'm just not sure why she thought for a minute that Canada of all countries would welcome her with open arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Eh, the amount we spend on our military is 3.3% of our GDP. That's not nothing, but it's by no means wildly inappropriate to our standing in the world. I'm perfectly happy with where it's at, and honestly, we could easily toss a few hundred billion extra in there and be perfectly okay.

People look at our military budget and just think in absolute terms tend to forget just how ridiculously, ludicrously wealthy we are as a nation.

• Locked thread