Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've read definitions repeatedly of what expys are and I'm still not clear what they are, the definition is so broad as to include pretty much everything. If I'm understanding things correctly, some of the best expys off the top of my head include:

John Constantine, an expy of Sting
Static, an expy of the teenage superhero archetype typified by Spider-Man
Darth Vader, an expy of Darkseid
Black Racer and the Scarlet Skier, expys of Silver Surfer
Homer Simpson, an expy of Walter Matthau
Superman, an expy of Philip Wylie's Gladiator and also maybe Jesus Christ
Bruce Banner, an expy of Dr Jeckyl
Ben Grimm, an expy of Jack Kirby

And yeah, Marvel "cosmic" stuff was built on the foundation of weird rear end Kirby/Ditko stuff that didn't get established nearly as much in DC books as in early Marvel, and then was expanded by a bunch of drug-influenced youth in the 1970s. DC has pantheons of mythical gods and 4th dimensional imps and Lords of Chaos and Order but none of them are nearly as black light poster ready as Marvel's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lightning Lord posted:

An "expy" IMO is specifically a character who is created to be a version of an existing character and it's obvious. John Constantine for example isn't really an "expy" of Sting, he's a character who's visually based on Sting and was a punk musician as a reference to that, but otherwise isn't really like Sting at all. A better example would be Willoughby Kipling from Doom Patrol. They're meant to function as that character and be a reference to them when those characters can't be used for reasons like copyright or editorial nixing it. I think what complicates this is that many expies gain a life of their own. Hyperion started clearly as a cute reference to Superman in a Marvel book and wasn't really intended as more than that, but eventually became far more.
I mean, according to TVTropes's definition page for Expys, they give two examples of Yogi Bear being an expy of Art Carney because they have similar voices I guess, and Mickey Mouse being an Expy for Felix the Cat in that they're jolly black and white animal tricksters in their original appearances. So based on those standards, John Constantine is an expy of Sting (with additional magic powers and history and character traits eventually added in), just like how Yogi Bear is Art Carney but with he's got a sidekick instead of being a sidekick and he's a bear and he's obsessed with picnic baskets and he doesn't golf or work in the sewers.

quote:

The key difference between this and Captain Ersatz is that an expy, while deliberately based on some other character, is still their own person, while Captain Ersatz is obviously the same character but with the Serial Numbers Filed Off. Please keep this distinction in mind before adding an example here.
Based on this, WIlloughby Kipling (and Supreme, and arguably the Squadron Supreme) are Captain Ersatzs rather than Expys, because again, John Constantine is definitely not Sting, but Willoughby Kipling might as well be John Constantine. Of course the very next line of the page is:

quote:

Also note that a fictional counterpart to a real-life person would not be an expy.
So I guess Constantine is not an expy at all, but a No Celebrities Were Harmed. Unless doing magic counts, since they previously identified Yogi Bear as an expy of Art Carney, who is a real person.

quote:

Like, X-O Manowar isn't really an expy of Iron Man because despite both having power armor they're radically different characters. Black Racer isn't an expy of the Silver Surfer because he serves a different purpose in the narrative despite them both being "cosmic guy flying around on sporting equipment"
If that's the case then a lot of these Superman expies aren't Superman expies, [many] version of Hyperions I guess have close to the same backgrounds/'places' as Superman, but Sentry has a radically different background/story/place in the Universe than Superman, as does Apollo, as does Blue Marvel, etc.

Back in the old man yells at clouds aged out of touch bullshit era of the 2000s, people called these "analogues" which is equally vague, or just talked about how characters had similar traits. I'm not against new lingo but I'm still genuinely not sure the standards for these things. It's easy to see how Nighthawk started off as "A Batman", but he stopped being that in a lot of interpretations. Is Night Thrasher a Batman? Midnighter? Moon Knight? Spawn? Big Daddy? Fantomex? Jesus from the Walking Dead?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TV Tropes is also the first five hits for expy on Google and I'd never seen the term prior to it coming up on here, does it have roots outside of TV Tropes?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Doom 2099 was one of the first Warren Ellis projects (followed quickly by the Authority, and Mek, and then half of the other things he's written) where I realized that his sort of edgy rebellious "the world is full of bastards, everyone's a bastard, there are no good guys only hard bastards willing to outbastard the worst bastards to achieve a level of bastardness just a tiny bit less bastardy than the real bad bastards, and maybe they're the heroes our bastard world bastarding needs, you bastards" dovetails really easily into believing autocratic fascism is pretty awesome so long as it's a cool dude doing it. I'm pretty sure Doom 2099 isn't actually supposed to be the bad guy, and I am 110% convinced that the Authority are the heroes of Ellis's run, no matter how much puppet-master defense he's done since the book came out and started getting critical readings.

In the actual Doom 2009 comic, Doom's coup was violent and his rule was harsh, but Ellis kept showing him materially improving the lives of citizens, and the (((globalist))) corporations he wrested America free from were run by literal alien vampires. When he finally got overthrown, it wasn't by Spider-Man or the X-Men or any sort of heroes, but by a genocidal (possibly alien) financier named Herod who slaughtered millions to depose Doom and put a barely lucid, drug addicted, animal-torturing, jerking-off-into-the-American-flag clone of Captain America in as a puppet president as part of his plan to stripmine the planet, work all humans to death, and then fly off into the stars.

When those are the alternatives to Doom ruling with an iron fist, how is he supposed to be seen as the bad guy?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

Wait, what? They aren't? I'm legitimately perplexed by this. I never got fascist-y vibes from it until they literally took over the USA, which I thought was well after Ellis.
Ellis has claimed after the fact that the Authority were "always meant to be the baddies" and that the whole thing was an "experiment" to see if so-called enlightened comic book readers would even notice that the book had fascist demigods unilaterally causing regime change and also if you think Kaizen Gammora is racist that was also a test and you passed, most fans aren't smart enough to realize Ellis was deliberately writing a racist caricature!

From a Slashdot interview:

quote:

Yes. The Yellow Peril characters - Fu Manchu, Wu Fang, etc - were disgusting. Part of the extended joke that was THE AUTHORITY was in seeing people really not react to Fu Manchu sending out thousands of his inscrutable Oriental menaces to divebomb major white world cities. (For those who need the cheat sheet, THE AUTHORITY was a twelve-episode superhero fiction series where the eponymous team fight Fu Manchu, Ming the Merciless and God (dressed up as Cthulhu).)

PLANETARY's intent was different. As the last half of the serial goes into publication, you'll see some examination of the underpinnings of these characters. In fact, you've already seen some questioning of the Oriental Genius type. I don't want to "exonerate" these characters from their pasts, or even exonerate those who created them. It's easy to say, well, it was a different time back then, of course they were racist. Or that, yeah, these archetypes exist in every culture. But while Tarzan is the "feral child" legend writ large, Fu Manchu is not the "evil genius". He is specifically the Evil Chinee. And that's something to be explored from many angles.
It's been awhile since I read Planetary, but the "back half" doesn't really feature the Fu Manchu style character at all, though it took Ellis like six years to get the last seven issues out, so maybe some of his deep explorations of race couldn't make it to the page.

I can't find any interviews where he's talking about the Authority in these same terms, but he was doing it a lot and while a lot of the unilateral violent actions the Authority perform in his volume *could* be read as kind of fascist in Ellis's run, much like Doom 2099 any nuanced exploration of our protagonists' actions and motives are kind of muddied when the antagonists alternately want to "scar the Earth in their image" with thousands of superpowered suicide bombers, turn the entire planet into a "rape camp", or eradicate all life.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like that DC seems to keep the superheroes fighting superheros stuff mostly to alternate universe stuff like Injustice, and lets the superheroes be friends in the mainline universe.
I mean, this is true if you ignore Identity Crisis, two years of comics running up to Infinite Crisis, Infinite Crisis itself, Amazons Attack, Trinity War, Darkseid War, Robin War, and while you may not count them because they're technically mind-control/alternate universes/whatever, Blackest Night, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, Futures End, and then Injustice and other out of continuity books, then yes, they've avoided superheroes fighting superheroes for the past 11.5 years. There's also Forever Evil and Metal, which are based on heroes fighting evil versions of themselves, and maybe some smaller storylines I'm forgetting.

I feel like both companies go through cycles of "everyone is fighting!" / "everyone is friends again!" Without sounding like too much of a dick towards DC, Marvel also feels like they've done a lot better job of building up a wider variety of characters people care about, so you can go through periods where Captain America and Iron Man are friends but the Inhumans and the X-Men or Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel or Wolverine and Cyclops or whomever are just one group not getting along well, while in general there isn't a "civil war" going on. Which honestly was how the Marvel Universe was for most of its existence, with various heroes beefing with other heroes in the background or foreground.

Would anyone really give a poo poo if Cyborg and Firestorm had a huge falling out?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 6, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis and Amazons Attack are now officially outside the last decade.
Very true, I should have said "since Civil War started" or something, though Identity Crisis predates that too. This basic conversation has been happening for so long that the date markers have shifted again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of those might have superheroes fighting superheroes(except Amazons Attack) but none of them are at the level of "The most important thing going on in the world right now is large scale conflict between superheroes" like Civil War, Civil War 2, World War Hulk, or X-Men vs Avengers
I don't really know what to say to that. Is the difference between these that like, Avengers vs. X-Men doesn't end with Cyclops being a full-blown evil monster the way Superboy Prime does? Or that the year of Batman hating everyone and Superman repeatedly getting "mind controlled" into almost killing Batman and all of the core JLA members hating and mistrusting each other were the prelude and first act of Infinite Crisis and not the aftermath of Civil War? Are Wonder Woman and Supergirl not superheroes anymore?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

Superboy Prime was in incredibly minor character in the DC Universe, and as far as I know, yeah, Infinite Crisis did permanently establish him as a villain. So that's not really comparable to Cyclops. And I don't think that being a jerk to people is comparable to conquering New York at the head of an alien army, and being mind controlled into fighting someone isn't comparable to trying to imprison every superhero who disagrees with you.
So we're back to talking primarily about Civil War from 2006 and World War Hulk from 2007. Secret Empire (and Avengers vs. X-Men and Inhumans vs. X-Men and Fear Itself and AXIS and etc. etc. etc. with I guess the notable exception of Civil War II) all involve people being mind-controlled or corrupted by outside forces or being evil twins for the bulk of the "heroes fighting heroes" portions.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

It's kind of like anime. Over in Japan, they're stuck catering to a tiny market social recluse perverts because they're what keeps studios in the black, which means all that gets made is the pervert catering, which means that no one else watches anime, which means all that gets made is pervert catering, and so on and so forth.
I am not remotely an anime expert, but how is this the case? Is "anime" more specific a market that just "animation made in Japan", because there seems to be a pretty solid market for (unless I'm missing something) non-pervert-catering stuff like Studio Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai and I assume translated things like One Piece/Naruto/One Punch Man/My Hero Academia are also popular in Japan as well as the US.

I'm somewhat more familiar with the manga market, and I know it's incredibly diverse and stuff from lots of genres are successful with lots of demographics, but it does seem to be a few set of specific genres that ever get translated into English. I kind of assumed anime was in the same boat. Is it not?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

In Japan, "anime" is just the term for animation, period. Disney films are anime in Japan. When it comes to homegrown stuff, it's usually either for kids(shounen/shojo and the really kiddy stuff) or pervert catering, at least if it wants to make a profit. I'm pretty sure even Studio Ghibli has had financial trouble for awhile, and they're supposed to be the premier family anime guys. Geek culture in Japan is not mainstream, and if you're an adult who admits to liking animation, people there are gonna assume you've got shelves full of sticky figurines.
Again, I am not an expert on these matters, but I am not really sure what the 1:1 conflation of "geek culture" and "anime" is. Like the #1 film in Japan last year was animated and doesn't appear to be for little kids *or* perverts, but I don't really know what the full industry/medium is like in Japan.

I will say that looking at American animation, the really high quality (production-wise) stuff like Studio Ghibli or Pixar is expensive as heck to make, and I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to some financial crunch. But I'm also skeptical of the "gonna assume you've got shelves full of sticky figures". That stereotype/type of fan exists in America for lots of stuff, but all things being equal you can pretty readily admit to being a fan of [Star Wars/video games/superheroes/Game of Thrones/animation] and assuming you're not speaking entirely in Star Wars quotes while wearing a Boba Fett hoodie waiting in line to buy a life size Chewbacca doll to put in your Cantina themed man-cave and people aren't going to back away from you because you mentioned you were excited by the Last Jedi trailer. I kind of assumed that anime was not dissimilar. Doing some really light googling, it does sound as if maybe a lot more people read manga than watch anime, but all of the sources I'm finding are really anecdotal.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Check out this cover gallery to see how quickly and frequently they tried to change up Ravage's look to find something that worked.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Ravage a 2099 exclusive character or did he have a non-2099 equivalent? The only other Ravage I'm aware of is this evil Hulk from the Paul Jenkins / Ron Garney Hulk run in the late 90s.
He was touted as an all-new character from the mind of Stan Lee!

Also it should be said that for reasons I don't fully remember, similar to the New Universe, The World of Tomorrow 2091 2099 was another Marvel initiative that was announced with great fanfare and somewhere between conception and execution it went from the sort of thing they were trying to line up Stan Lee and John Byrne and Jim Starlin and Chris Claremont and Larry Niven and etc. to do this prestigious New Science Fiction Universe into a line of books that outside of Stan Lee were all done by relative unknowns willing to work pretty cheap; probably the exception to that was Pat Mills, though at the time Mills had done Marshal Law and almost nothing else. Peter David was a few years into his Hulk run and was developing into a fan favorite, but this was still kind of like teasing a new line 2017 by Hickman/Remender/Fraction/DeConnick and ending up with Dennis Hopeless and Chris Hastings. The end result may be very good, but it's not really a star-studded launch.

In this scenario Stan Lee would still be Stan Lee phoning in a character for Marvel 3017.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Tato posted:

Punisher 2099 is totally intentionally over the top. Pat Mills definitely used his tenure to make an even more nutty Dredd and push it to the max. Al Ewing did a good job picking up that ball and running with it by putting Punisher 2099 in Contest of Champions.
Yeah, I didn't like Punisher 2099 when it came out and I was a kid because it seemed so over the top it was silly, but looking back at it through the lens of it being the people behind Judge Dredd and Marshall Law, the silliness was both 100% intentional and often pretty funny.

quote:

Ghost Rider 2099 was pretty neat and doesn't get much attention either. It was full on Neuromancer cyberpunk and had some great art by Chris Bachalo, Mark Buckingham, and Ashley Wood. Unfortunately, the inker seemingly struggled mightily with handling Wood's art and many of those issues look like someone just poured black ink all over the page.
I think Ashley Wood was the inker for a lot of that run? I think Ashley Wood was still struggling with what it meant to do Ashley Wood art. In his defense, there were a lot of people doing that in public in the early 1990s. Some of the early/style-transition era books by Travis Charest, Jae Lee, Sam Keith, Chris Bachalo, Mike Mignola, etc. when you look back at them look like someone doing a half-assed knock-off/parody of themselves.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

Eh, it sounds fine to me, and West Allen flows well, although it does make one wonder why they didn't go with Allen West.
Maybe he didn't want people to think he named his kid after Allen "Literal War Criminal, Tea Party Candidate, and Fox News pundit" West.

Or based on the Edmondson/Gerads Punisher run, maybe he did and his wife vetoed it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

Look up yonder in the sky, now, what is that I pray?
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a man insane, it's my President LBJ

Comics being fiercely guarded by right-wing assholes is a shockingly new development. See also: Sad Puppies, who think Sci-Fi has just now stopped being pew pew laser fights in favor of political discourse.
I mean, for the first several decades that superheroes existed, they were just attacked for being anti-Nazi (pre-WWII) or corrupting trash that makes your kid violent and gay (the 1950s) or conservative pap pushing conformity and authoritarianism onto Cold War Kids. Marvel books were periodically poo poo on for being for beatniks and hippies.

It wasn't really until the 1980s that superhero comics were entrenched enough in pop culture to be something to protect from the ravening hordes of progressivism and multiculturalism as opposed to just a threat to society in general. This sort of thing has happened to varying scales at least since the 1980s, when having [Captain America/Superman/whoever] question Reagan or a stand-in for Reagan was going to make an American icon into some sort of goddamned commie, or the X-Men preaching tolerance is an insidious pro-gay pro-immigration subliminal. Every time they 'kill off' Superman or Captain America or Iron Man or or Green Lantern or Green Arrow or whatever, it's them killing off a beacon of White Male American Exceptionalism, every time they introduce a character who isn't a White Male it's an Affirmative Action hire, this has been going on at least since the early 1990s, with flare-ups in the 1980s. I think it's just been amplified by the development of social media and the fact that Marvel and DC characters have exploded in prominence because of the film franchises.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The weirdest thing was that Larry Hama and Michael Golden were pitching Bucky O'Hare at DC (in a false-start for DC's attempt to do creator owned books) right around the time/shortly before Jaxxon showed up in the Star Wars comic, and it was discussed in contemporary fanzines and poo poo. It fell apart, Hama jumped ship to Marvel shortly after, and by the time things got sorted out and the Bucky O'Hare comic actually came out from Continuity Marvel had been instructed to stop adding goofy poo poo like Jaxxon to their Star Wars comics and the character hadn't been seen or mentioned in years.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

That is a legitimately fascinating thing: I didn't know Hama created Bucky O'Hare, for one, and I'd always assumed the property had stemmed out of the TMNT phenomenon, instead of apparently predating both that AND the Star Wars thing. Plus I just looked up the cartoon's intro, and they sure made the villain look a lot like Andross from StarFox, which I'm fairly sure even the cartoon predates, let alone the comic.
Yeah, I hadn't realized that for a long time either, until it cropped up in a Hama interview or something awhile back. Here's an interview from a few years back from a Bucky O'Hare fansite. If it were most old comics pros I'd question his recollection/division of credit (have you SEEN Steve Englehart's website?) but Hama has never appeared to be anything but honest, sometimes brutally so, in terms of telling stories about his career.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Is it just hundreds of pages of Mantis fanfic?
There's a lot about Mantis (and philistine editors not understanding his grand vision for the character) but also even more about how IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, he deserves credit for the Nolan Batman movies, the Batman Animated Series, all of the Avengers movies, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, etc. etc. etc. If you REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, would comic books even exist without Steve Englehart? Experts say: No!

Source: Steve Englehart, steveenglehart.com

Honestly Englehart has a really impressive body of work and all, but this is like whatever that old chestnut from sports where you spend so much time trying to convince everyone an 8 is a 10, people think they're a 5. Steve Englehart truly believes he's a 14 out of 10.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Zoro posted:

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/912839403524861953

Also, I wish they kept this guy around and modernized him. He'd be a pretty good supervillian considering current American politics.
There have been like five Hate-Mongers, the most recent one debuted in 2011. The most recent one was basically a proto-alt-right anti-immigration activist who hated immigrants so hard the ghost of Adolf Hitler's clone sensed it from outer space and possessed him, giving him superpowers. He fought T'Challa by turning some white dude into AMERICAN PANTHER and also mind-controlling a bunch of cops and politicians and whatever and then T'Challa built a Ghost of the Clone of Adolf Hitler machine and banished it back to outer space.

Later in a different story that alt-right dude (who still wanted to be Hate-Monger even without Adolf Hitler's Clone's Ghost powering him) traveled back in time to assassinate Barack Obama as a baby, but was thwarted by both Nick Furies who were also traveling through time.

The Hate-Monger before that was just literally a big Nazi dude the Punisher murdered.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a mysterious magic dude who would try to orchestrate fights between white supremacists and civil rights protests so he could feed on the emotional hate of *both sides*. It was during this story that Rage was deemed too raw and emotional to be part of the team because of how he reacted to those white supremacists. I mean, it was mostly because everyone else on the team found out he was only 13, but still.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a shapeshifting android made by the Psycho-Man who was like a... televangelist I guess? named H.M. Unger. He would preach hate and then sneak off and change into whatever group he was shittalking and shittalk back to make everyone even MADDER, which somehow led to that John Byrne panel of Reed slapping Sue that was all the rage on Superdickery or whatever. Scourge killed Unger.

The Hate Monger before *that* was The Man-Beast (aka the Super-Beast, aka the Wolf-Being, aka Karnivore, aka Omega, aka Lord Anon, aka The Prophet, aka Kyle Munson) a half man half wolf that the High Evolutionary made who seemed to get a new name/gimmick tweak every few years so I guess he was the Hate-Monger for a bit?

The original Hate-Monger has popped up in between almost all of these other Hate-Mongers, because he is the ghost of a clone of Adolf Hitler, so he'll never really disappear.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I forget, was Adolf Hitler trapped in the cosmic cube ever resolved? Did that come up during Secret Empire?
There are a bunch of cubes, the one that Hitler's Clone's Ghost was trapped in came back up in Mark Waid's first run on the book. The Cube was destroyed and Hitler's Clone's Ghost was presumed destroyed, but he popped up again (as the Hate-Monger) to be a behind the scenes Big Bad Guy for Dan Jurgen's run which came hot off the heels of Mark Waid getting kicked off of his second Cap run.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

Is that the GI Joe font?
It certainly seems like they googled "GI Joe font" and used the first thing that popped up, yes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Someone will probably try to call me out for saying so but Chuck Dixon is a known piece of poo poo. I'm not even gonna offer up an anecdote, he's a rotten human being and I no longer own a single thing he's written.
I'm really not sure how this is any better? You're just letting people's imagination run wild?

Chuck Dixon has a long documented history of saying some pretty noxious poo poo in interviews, I concur. Beyond that, in all seriousness, either talk poo poo or don't.

I mean, I'm not one to gossip, and I don't want to call anyone out, but between you and me, I wouldn't let *my* kids shop at Rhyno's store, especially if he's working, there, if you know what I mean. I don't want to get into it or offer an anecdote. Just watch out. But I'm not one to say poo poo without backing it up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

I agree with you but why didn't you add an anecdote?!?! Omggggg

doesn't add an anecdote either
You can literally search "Chuck Dixon interview Trump" or "Chuck Dixon interview homosexuals" or probably just "Chuck Dixon interview" and find a bunch of public statements he's made criticizing Obama, marriage equality, "social justice warriors" diversity, etc. You could see how he wrote the graphic novel version of Clinton Cash, had a cozy e-friendship with Milo Yiannapoulos, or you know, backed the Alt Hero alt-kickstarter. He's demonstrably a hard right alt-right flirting Republican with all of the bigotry that comes with that, and it's easily verified by cursory googling, public statements, etc.

Considering Rhyno was referencing his not-actually-rescinded "look Mark Waid is a sexual predator I don't have any concrete evidence but It Is Known that Mark Waid preys on underage girls" which is the sort of thing that you know, there is no concrete evidence or googlable information or corroborating evidence because Mark Waid has been involved in the comics field since the early 1980s and even people who actively dislike him have never heard or mentioned the concept he's a pedophile or a creep or whatever, that is not the same thing as saying "Mark Waid was a short tempered crybaby" or "Mark Waid gets way too mad about continuity, like he'll want to fight you over continuity" or "Mark Waid wrote some tone-deaf social commentary" or "Mark Waid made light of a fellow pro being convicted of murder in an actual DC Comic" or you know, like a hundred unflattering stories about Mark Waid that exist in the world, all of those are at least broadly accurate and corroborated by multiple sources. "Frank Miller published an Islamophobic comic" is not something you need to "add anecdotes" about, it's something that exists in the world. Saying Spider-Man is a Marvel character is not something you need to provide evidence for. Chuck Dixon turned into a right wing extremist after 9/11 is not a controversial statement. If I said that Spider-Man is actually an elaborate anti-semitic parable or that Frank Miller was born a woman, I would need to provide evidence or not say that poo poo

"I don't want someone to call me out for telling an anecdote, not to get into it, but he's a real piece of poo poo" is the sort of dog whistle thing you say when you want to imply that person is a murderer or rapist or something. It's not something you say when you don't want to spend ten seconds finding widely known quotes from media interviews. Or if you do, it's because you want to imply that the person killed someone, not that they called a guy a "homo" back in 2004.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 1, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Zoro posted:

Lolwhat? I lived in NY all my life, how can you be afraid of New York? I can only imagine that being true for a country bumpkin or someone with severe anxiety. Not that I'm mocking severe anxiety issues, I'm just saying that's who I would imagine would have problems with New York as a concept.
Frank Miller grew up in Vermont and moved to New York City in the mid 1970s. This was pretty much the peak of New York City's crime rate (though some more geographically concentrated crime rates really spiked in the early 1990s too) and Frank Miller as someone from Vermont moving to The Big City barely out of his teenage years getting mugged and rough up at gunpoint repeatedly informed a whole lot of the work he did during that time period on Daredevil, and according to Miller informed his 1980s work on Batman too.

Frank Miller still lives (or at least owns a place and spends time in) New York City and has for over forty years, so saying he is "afraid of New York" is probably not accurate in 2017, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

I find it hard to not imagine Miller having some antiquated views of East New York, Harlem, and the entirety of the Bronx.
I've got no doubt he does, and I'm not defending him other than saying that

a) he was in fact essentially a teenage self-professed "country kid" when he moved to New York City during one of the city's most violent, crime-rampant, garbage-striking, arson-crazed periods of its existence, and got mugged at gunpoint repeatedly in short order, and that probably informs a lot of things for good or ill

b) Frank Miller also has continued to live in New York City for about forty years now, so his view of it/him being "scared of it" has probably evolved over the decades, again, for both good and ill.

I also know people hate talking about bad people/bad opinions as existing along a spectrum and Miller's racked up plenty of bad opinions/bad person(? I have no real evidence of that outside spouting off really bad opinions has to negatively impact your interaction with real humans too) points over the years, but since we were also just talking about Chuck Dixon, for instance.

Comparing the two, only one of them voted for Trump and it wasn't Frank Miller. Only one of them campaigned for and contributed comics to organizations promoting free speech, creators' rights, AIDS research, gay rights, and protecting women's reproductive rights (all in the 1980s), and it wasn't Chuck Dixon. One of them is out there contributing to Alt*Hero and Based Stickman comics and doing interviews for Breitbart. One of them is more or less out of the public eye because he almost died a couple years ago, but when he's making public statements it's in support of ACA and Planned Parenthood and Lin Manuel Miranda or whatever, not Mike Cernovich. Lumping the two of them into "conservative old man comic creators" is I guess workable to a point, but it's a pretty broad brush.

He (frequently) can't write women, said some incredibly stupid and hateful poo poo about Islam and Occupy Wall Street, his apparent health problems stemming from drinking have really hosed him up, and I don't think I've enjoyed anything he's worked on since maybe the Green Lantern bits in ASBAR. I'm not "defending" Frank Miller other than to say "Frank Miller used to be very talented and he's not a good guy and he's got some very bad opinions. Counterpoint: he does not have every single bad opinion, despite people's belief that he very well might."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread