Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Someone likes <thing>, and will tell you about it in a couple thousand words, but is highly resistant to explaining why <thing> is actually objectively good other than projecting motives onto the author.

Neither are good.

Also help me. What is the difference between 'genre fiction' and 'literature'?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nah, I'd say this is untrue. They have a fair amount of overlap because Isekai is a very popular way to set up a GameLit/LitRPG story, but by no means does Isekai require anything of the GameLit genre. Hell, Isekai predates it by a lot in both America and Japan. Isekai's largely just gotten a bad name from really awful GameLit using it as setup.

Though there is just straight up bad trashy Isekai, it's a relatively modern beast born of a popular terrible Isekai that spawned loads of imitations. One of my favorite anime is an Isekai, though it's never actually recognized as such largely to being the original Isekai anime, before there were 'genre conventions' for it. It's nothing like Gamelit.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's Sword Art Accel World isn't it

gently caress no. I, like all law-abiding people, dislike Sword Art Online! Also Sword Art Online is literally GameLit in its purest form, since it's just dumbasses playing video games.

Also Accel World is just the same thing except I think it gives you powers in real life. Don't quote me on that, as I haven't read it.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

As a fellow pedant, I respect your commitment to being technically correct.

But on the other hand, I feel you are misusing your power.

Power is MEANT TO BE ABUSED!!

I actually just meant Aura Battler Dunbine, which I can probably hipsterishly preen that nobody has heard of it, probably because it doesn't have any stupid LitRPG stuff.

Don't read this as an actual defense of Isekai as it exists today, though. It's alll garbage.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 22, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

alas for the golden days of isekai

Alas! The golden day of Isekai was before it was even coined as a genre!

now, of course, the holy grail is isekai xianxia litrpg

that's when you know you've found something special. oh yes indeed

I... Um, do I want to google that?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 22, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

it's the chinese light novel equivalent. they are extremely formulaic. like litrpgs and isekai, they have a weird, inexplicable online following of white teenagers who are attracted to the formulaic 'power creep' aspects. it's very strange. you can make heaps of money by translating them from chinese to english via patreon.

That's actually tamer than I expected, thank goodness. I googled it in response and a lot of the first-page requests was "MALE XIANXIAN OP PROTAG RECOMMENDATIONS?"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Has this thread poo poo on David Weber's books any? I feel like there's some fertile ground for it, I dunno.

Just a feeling when when people in the Scifi thread haven't been allowed to recommend him for like a decade.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

if it wont make the scifi thread mad then whats the point

Well, it'd make someone mad, since someone had to keep recommending it and throwing the thread into a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not hugely surprised by this. IIRC, the Temeraire author came out of fanfic circles, and authors with that background are pretty infamous for cavalierly lifting passages from other books. (Also writing stuff that amounts to "hooray, thing I like!", so Temeraire mostly being "hooray, dragons!" is also a non-surprise.)

I mean poo poo I wouldn't be surprised if Honorverse just lifted passages from Hornblower considering it's literally Hornblower In Space with a much less interesting protagonist. And worse writing. And just being poo poo all around.