Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
I enjoy these reviews but disagree with your premise that fantasy books must be written using "fantastical" language to succeed. Jemisin's latest series, for example, tells what is essentially a first person escape from bondage narrative that wouldn't be out of place in a 19th century novel. The narrator is the former slave and the goal of the book is not to world build or to immerse the reader in an alien place but to convey truths about race and prejudice in society, and how prejudice carries through generations. It would make no sense for this book to be written like "Little, Big".

Similarly, a story like "The City and the City", which is a noir detective story set in a fictional country in Eastern Europe, gains its power from being written like a typical detective story - the strangeness of the setting leaks through the gaps, so to speak, and are highlighted by the plain and direct, hardbitten language of the protagonist.

I actually don't really like the Assassin's series, but my memory is that Hobb is striving for psychological realism here, so again, the sort of writing you are looking for does not seem suited to the tale she is telling. One might as well say that all super hero stories must be written like Golden Age Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jemisin's latest trilogy is obiously a terrible example, because it's style is hysterical anxiety. That is not a particularly advantageous method for "conveying truths," (even Zadie Smith succeeds perhaps in spite of her style).

How does describing a female author's style as "hysterical anxiety" work out for you, typically? How should a former slave describe her bondage? Why isn't an anxious style "advantageous" (one thinks of Quentin in The Sound and the Fury)? What the gently caress are you even talking about here?

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Jemisin's Fifth Season and Smith's NW in particular are rooted in the themes of anxiety and hysteria - everything seems rooted in the terror and oppression of the moment (it's why the former is written in present tense). 'Hysteric realism' in particular was a term coined for Smith's novel White Teeth, though the context is very different. NW however is balanced by its realism and naturalism that make it a genuinely good story of urban life, race, and class.

As far as I know, N.K. Jemisin is not a former slave and is not describing her bondage, so I don't know why you bring that up. Fifth Season is like Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, a monotonous tapestry of anxiety and terror.

I tried to pick out a random passage from Fifth Season as an example, but it was that part where two characters talk about an earthquake-controlling child being raped while in a chemically-induced coma and then killed. It was too bad to even post.

I read the article you linked and it doesn't say anything like what you assert above. The phrase "hysterical realism" is describing a series of modern/postmodern novels that cram a whole bunch of whimsical and strange things into the recognizable "modern" world and subject the main character to these strange and whimsical events. It's described as "hysterical" (a term thatdoesn't even seem to the books described in that article) because it's going over the top, beyond the confines of magic realism. This bears no relationship to what's going on in Jemisin's most recent trilogy, which has a limited cast of characters, focuses strongly on three or four in particular and follows them closely, and has an almost total lack of whimsy. Someone feeling uncharitable might point out that the only similarity Zadie Smith and Jemisin share is that they are both women of color, and that that appears to be the entire basis for your comparison.

And I'm not even going to start with your insane notion that Jemisin isn't a slave herself and therefore cannot write from the perspective of a slave. Joyce wasn't an Irish housewife, and Crowley was neither a Puerto Rican woman in her twenties nor the king of the loving fairies.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

the old ceremony posted:

. WOMEN ARE AN ABUSED DEMOGRAPHIC shows up in every work, but there is never any attempt to deal with the specific ways in which women are abused beyond the inevitable rape scenes. there are no fantasy novels about sex trafficking, or the full complexities of an abusive relationship, or learning to live in an arranged marriage, or coming out as transgender, or being the single mother of a daughter in a patriarchal society, or being expected to care for ailing family members, or any of the problems that women in the real world deal with every single day. there are just endless male authors writing rape scenes, usually obviously with one hand, and patting themselves on the back for being progressive and dealing with real issues.

feminism is just the obvious example here, but of course it's not the only one. i'm sure patrick rothfuss genuinely thought he was writing a hard-hitting look at the realities of living in poverty and being romani an oppressed minority dealing with racism, but there was absolutely nothing real about his portrayal. it said nothing and meant nothing. because that's not the focus of his trash - the focus of his trash is magic, and heroism, and mysterious sexy damaged women. the same goes for the rest of the genre, none of it is rooted in reality and so it's just all weightless names floating around in a flat cardboard world doing poo poo that doesn't have any relevance to contemporary society and is therefore a waste of the author's time, a waste of the audience's time, a waste of my time, and a waste of all our money and the huge potential of the novel to change society. modern sf/f hasn't produced a 1984 or an earthsea for a very, very long time, and i don't trust any of the current crop to do so any time soon

The last two Hugo winners were written by a woman who is also a person of color, and are about many of the things you talk about in your first paragraph, such as feminism, the exploitation of the female body, the exploitation of the black body, overcoming societal programming and self-actualization, and the way this is passed down from mother to daughter. But don't let me interrupt you, you're on quite a roll.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

the old ceremony posted:

okay, jemisin exists. i don't like her work, but i like her - she is doing important stuff for the genre just by existing and i'm glad she's getting acclaim and success.

now can you name a second female author of colour dealing with real-world issues who enjoys widespread acclaim and success? not just a few short stories published in a small-scale magazine run by sympathetic allies with no money, or a minor award with no prize and not much publicity - i'm talking major awards, contracts, sales.

Octavia Butler and Yoon Ha Lee (identifies as a trans man) come to mind, but I'm not disagreeing with you that it's a white male dominated field. I also agree that it needs to be broader in scope. Your post was just weird because it asserted that this stuff doesn't exist, when in fact it's been dominating the awards for the last couple of years.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

just another posted:

I'm reminded of this Freddie deBoer post:

Sorry that you can't ignore real problems in society like you used to be able to. How does it feel being like everyone else?

Guess what, cultural criticism has always come from a political perspective, it's just that the perspective is no longer "we don't want to talk about this stuff."

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Perhaps I could interest you in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, where dragons hatch from stone eggs and people rise from the dead repeatedly for no discernible reason.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

BananaNutkins posted:

That's pretty much what genre fiction is, and it has different priorities than literary fiction does, so analysis of it using the same metrics is kinda dumb.

Much like you’re posting (if that’s what you think why are you posting in this thread).

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
There was a lot of handwringing about BotL getting probed but I’ve read the last ten pages of this thread and it got a lot more interesting because Mel, Chernobyl et al were actually willing to engage. Good job everybody. Also, go read Earthsea esp the Tombs of Atuan.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

pikachode posted:

dammit no i am reading the way of kings

It's incredible. There's are several characters who are supposed to deliver burns so sick that the targets are left gasping for breath and everyone around bursts into applause at his cleverness. Only...Brandon Sanderson really, really can't write comedy, so you're left with large chunks of the movie reading like the on-air segments of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Here's an example I found via googling:

Brandon Sanderson's comedic genius posted:

"You've got a tongue on you"
"Oh, I've never had a tongue on me, but I can't imagine it's a good experience"

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
When Fantasy authors start inserting their own poetry into their novels is when the poo poo really hits the fan.

brandon sanderson posted:

For glory lit, and life alive
for goals unreached and aims to strive.
All men must try, the wind did see.
It is the test, it is the dream.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

If I want to attack Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf in Book Barn outside of this thread, I am obligated to say that I enjoyed some part of it.

Backhanded and sarcastic compliments to Hitler will be spotted

However will the people of Book Barn criticize Mein Kampf without your trenchant insights.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
bb poster 1: more praise for hitler's literary craft and prose mastery...my weapons are useless against it
bb poster 2: if only i had skimmed the reading for lit 101...if only i hadn't read so many fantasy books...
bb poster 1: will a hero not save us??? *looks to the sky*
botl: *rattling bars in posting jail* you must let me go!!

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

your rap sheet is quite a read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
[Ed:nm]

uberkeyzer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 3, 2019