Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
LiberalTwitter's favorite conservative (come for the correct takes on criminal justice, stay for the occasional Bush apologia) is going off on 9/11 remembrance. It also means that making GBS threads on the ceremonial nonsense has officially become bipartisan.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/907218349783908352

A good and decent thread.

e:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Here's the hurricane resources stuff from my thread.

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT HURRICANE HARVEY SURVIVAL RESOURCES POST
CLICK HERE FOR THE GOOGLE DOC FOR HARVEY
CLICK HERE FOR THE GOOGLE DOC FOR IRMA

WrenP-Complete posted:

Locations where gas is available or has run out are being tracked here: http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/

Florida traffic information (speeds, number of cars, road closures) http://www3.dot.state.fl.us/trafficinformation/
Florida traffic information can be found here: https://fl511.com/

Resources found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Um3j5mHkS7bR72Zc625qtQ0P1QRNCXPGtIMx7HWKNbI

I hope you can get your family out safely. Good luck. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Jealous Cow posted:

So apparently the US response in the US Virgin Islands has been virtually nonexistent.

https://twitter.com/ENGAGEDinEurope/status/907140077305958400

https://twitter.com/ballerfuturistc/status/907090875263717378

:stare:

Island dog tax:

Will add the books and hurricane stuff shortly

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wonder who is going to foot the bill for repairing water and wind damage in Florida and Texas. Kidding, I know it will be every federal taxpayer. At least the local residents got their couple of years of low taxes while waiting for substandard infrastructure to be replaced for them by the Feds.

Don't let anyone tell you there isn't something to be gained by kicking the can down the road.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RuanGacho posted:

Will add the books and hurricane stuff shortly

Yeah, what Florida saw is incomparable to the Caribbean islands getting raked by 170kt+ wind.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Merry 9/11 everyone.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

Is today a day of the week? Must be a mass shooting in America somewhere:

"Sounded like an automatic weapon"

lol no it wasn't. I'm anti-gun and also anti-stupid-gun-reporting and I hate this obsession with "automatic".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So, bets on whether the Trump stuff migrates totally over here or if we just end up with two USPol threads because every 8 posts in the Trump thread start a USPol derail?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is enough content outside the presidency to sustain a thread.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Similarly, I expect the Trump thread if properly used will go quiet on the weekend because we've seen the pattern at this point. I also expect there's little I can do to prevent this thread from being bad at times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which thread has the tweet dumps

Which thread has the dogs

Thanks

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

haveblue posted:

Which thread has the tweet dumps

Thanks

All animals are taxed here, I'll be updating the OP as soon as I'm not on a stupid tablet, tweet dumps about Congress and or hurricanes probably go here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

haveblue posted:

Should you eat dogs. Should dog consumption be regulated by the government.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This past week and today have had a wave of potential congressional retirements.

Many of them are in safe seats, but the less incumbency there is in 2018 the more uncertain the results could be.

There's a bunch of news out today about potential Senate retirements:

:siren: Senator Mitt Romney and Senator Kid Rock will be a thing in 2018. :siren:

Senate

Orin Hatch (R-UT)

Reports say that Hatch plans to retire and Mitt Romney will run for his Senate seat in Utah.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/907233581763907590

Bob Corker (R-TN)

Says he is considering retirement and will make an announcement. Politico says it is "likely" that he retires.

Tom Carper (D-DE)

Usually one of the strongest fundraisers in the Senate, but only has $30,000 in his account.

Won't commit to running again and will "speak to the boss (my wife) and let you know at the start of next year about where the future takes me."

Diane Feinstein (D-CA)

Husband is ill, she is in her 80's, won't commit to running again and will make an announcement "after determining the needs" of her family.

Robert Menendez (D-NJ)

Going to be a forced retirement if he is convicted in his criminal trial.

Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Old. Won't commit to re-election, but says he is leaning towards running again.

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who ran a surprisingly strong campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination last year, said he hasn’t made a decision whether to run. “But everything being equal, I think I probably will, yes,” Sanders added in a recent interview.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This past week and today have had a wave of potential congressional retirements.

Many of them are in safe seats, but the less incumbency there is in 2018 the more uncertain the results could be.

There's a bunch of news out today about potential Senate retirements:

Senate

Orin Hatch (R-UT)

Reports say that Hatch plans to retire and Mitt Romney will run for his Senate seat in Utah.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/907233581763907590

Bob Corker (R-TN)

Says he is considering retirement and will make an announcement. Politico says it is "likely" that he retires.

Tom Carper (D-DE)

Usually one of the strongest fundraisers in the Senate, but only has $30,000 in his account.

Won't commit to running again and will "speak to the boss (my wife) and let you know at the start of next year about where the future takes me."

Diane Feinstein (D-CA)

Husband is ill, she is in her 80's, won't commit to running again and will make an announcement "after determining the needs" of her family.

Robert Menendez (D-NJ)

Going to be a forced retirement if he is convicted in his criminal trial.

Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Old. Won't commit to re-election, but says he is leaning towards running again.

Seems pretty evenly split between Dems and Rs to be honest if I had my way, all seats vaguely resembling Feinsteins would open up because I really want some younger Dems NOW.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

Hey, you forgot the two other most potent forces in state-level politics, the Actual Military in Hampton Roads and the unholy alliance of entrenched Democratic interests and teenage marxists in Richmond!

I had a threat about this stuff a while back but after the primary it sort of withered, as things rev back up again I might revive it.

You're absolutely right. I meant to put them into the next sentence and somehow never typed it! And we can't forget the good people of Roanoke, who are like Japanese WW2 soldiers in the cave. They keep fighting, and I love them.

My parents moved down to Hampton, and it's such a strange area politically. Pure Jesus vs huge government programs.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
but we already had a USpol thread :confused:

anyway, today on "burn everything, salt the earth":

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/new-hampshire-police-refuse-to-discuss-apparent-lynching-of-8-year-old-biracial-boy/amp/

quote:

‘These people need to be protected’: Police won’t release info on lynching of 8-year-old biracial boy

A group of white teens attacked an 8-year-old biracial boy and hanged him by a noose, his family says, and police in Claremont, NH are refusing to release information in the case.

The Root’s Angela Helm reported on Sunday that an 8-year-old biracial boy was hanged by a rope around his neck by other juveniles in what his grandmother said was a racist attack.

As the child was being flown by a medevac to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, his mother Cassandra Merlin posted to Facebook, “So my son is being flown to Dartmouth after a 14 year old kid decided to hang him from a tree. I don’t care if this was a so called accident or not. My son almost died because of some little sh*t teenage kids.”

NH1.com said that Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase refused to comment on the case, but said the department is investigating the incident, which took place on Aug. 28. He said that because the perpetrators are juveniles, he is prevented from discussing the case publicly.

He said that unlike the adult judicial system, which is aimed at punishment, the juvenile justice system is designed to correct and rehabilitate aberrant behavior.

“These people need to be protected,” Chase said. “Mistakes they make as a young child should not have to follow them for the rest of their life.”

“Notice how he called these predators ‘young children,'” wrote Helm, “infantilizing the white teens. Conversely, teens like Trayvon Martin are made out to be hulking, menacing adults. Chief Chase seems to be centering the perpetrators feelings and futures, all but forgetting about the trauma of a little boy who had his so-called friends hang him from a tree to the point where he had to be medevaced to a hospital.”

According to the victim’s grandmother Lorrie Slattery, he was playing with a group of children and teens when they began to taunt him with racist epithets and throw sticks and rocks at him.

Someone stood on a picnic table and the group wrapped a rope from a nearby tire swing around the boy’s throat, then kicked him off the table.

The victim swung back and forth three times before he was able to free himself. None of the teens came to his aid.

NH1.com said Chief Chase refused to state whether the crime was racially motivated, although accounts of the incident make it clear the attack was based on the child’s race.

Slattery told Valley News it’s clear to her that the attack was racist because her grandson has been targeted for racist abuse from the same group of children and teens in the past.

Her grandson is recovering now and preparing for his first day of school on Tuesday.

Helm wrote, “Welcome to Donald Trump’s America. Say what you want, but when the U.S. president defends avowed white supremacists, one can’t be surprised when bullying takes on a decidedly racist tone as it did with an 8-year-old biracial boy who was hung from a tree in the year 2017. The climate has been set.”

Since Donald Trump’s election, hate crimes have spiked dramatically in the U.S., particularly in the area of hate-related murders.

public service announcement: buying the wrong brand of moisturizer is a mistake. lynching a teenager because you can't handle his skin color is not a loving mistake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

botany posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/new-hampshire-police-refuse-to-discuss-apparent-lynching-of-8-year-old-biracial-boy/amp/

public service announcement: buying the wrong brand of moisturizer is a mistake. lynching a teenager because you can't handle his skin color is not a loving mistake.

I hope someone knees that police department in the IG groin.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just kinda was playing with a rope and it ended up in a noose shape by happenstance.

Then I tripped and fell and dropped it around an 8 year old's neck.

Then my buddies tried to help me up but they accidentally grabbed the noose and lifted it up instead.

Oops.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

botany posted:

There was violence on both sides (of that noose).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This is definitely the thread for talking about how hosed up whitey is.

If you are a white person and find yourself questioning how hosed up it is, relax, it's ok to not identify with Nazis. You might just have more in common with POC than white nationalist terrorists, in fact I guarantee you do.

OP is updated.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

botany posted:

But they're so young! Why, 14-year olds are practically babies! If we sought justice from them, that would ruin their lives forever and ever, and it's not like this 8-year old hulking menace is going to be permanently traumatized for being lynched and almost killed!:downs:

RuanGacho posted:

This is definitely the thread for talking about how hosed up whitey is.

If you are a white person and find yourself questioning how hosed up it is, relax, it's ok to not identify with Nazis. You might just have more in common with POC than white nationalist terrorists, in fact I guarantee you do.

OP is updated.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear in this case that this is what people are talking about when they say "white devils" or CACs or whatever.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 11, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Majorian posted:

But they're so young! Why, 14-year olds are practically babies! If we sought justice from them, that would ruin their lives forever and ever, and it's not like this 8-year old hulking menace is going to be permanently traumatized for being lynched and almost killed!:downs:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear in this case that this is what people are talking about when they say "white devils" or CACs or whatever.

Bet you 10 bucks the police meant their mistake was in not tying the knot better, rookie mistake. Don't worry, they'll be sure to show them all about how to tie a noose so this won't happen again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

Odd, it seems kids can be tried as adults in new hampshire, and they've done so in other attempted murder cases. Wonder why they're trying to rehabilitate these particular murderous kids?

:thunk:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's 9/11, would you like to read about the Falling Man or would you like to read about the Morgan Stanley Head of Security?

No rush, you can read the other one next year.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Condiv posted:

Odd, it seems kids can be tried as adults in new hampshire, and they've done so in other attempted murder cases. Wonder why they're trying to rehabilitate these particular murderous kids?

They're all good boys that just got mixed up in something bad...no need to make a federal case out of it. <-most of white America's mindset

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/adamconover/status/906992213485395969

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Pembroke Fuse posted:

There was violence on both sides (of that noose).

He's no angel.

I mean, sure, he almost was...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Haha, holy poo poo.

quote:

Clearly, richer borrowers were driving the trend. For instance, among prime borrowers, the growth in per capita mortgage balances held by investors was around 20 percentage points higher for those with the highest credit scores than those with the lowest.
Come 2007, investors accounted for 43% of the total mortgage balance for the top credit-score quartile. For the middle two quartiles, speculators were responsible for around 35% in 2007.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That article makes a little bit of a leap from what the data says, though.

The actual report says that there were tons of subprime borrowers and a large increase in the number of households with sub-prime loans.

It says that after 2006, when the market had already been massively expanding and inflating for over half a decade, that lots of investors (who were mostly middle-class to upper-middle class people) jumped in at the height of the bubble and helped to further expand it.

It also conflates the stock market collapse with the housing market collapse.

It's not wrong, per se, but there is a bit of a "correlation does not equal causation" problem with the conclusion. There was no real reason to assume that sub-prime loan trend from pre-2006 wasn't going to continue post-2006 if other people hadn't gotten in.

The sub-prime loan expansion and dramatic increase in potential buyers was also part of the cause for rising house prices that led to the massive amount of people buying into the bubble at the top.

It's an ouroboros of bad decisions.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

actually, you'll find it was lenders who triggered the crash

cause they're loving idiots who were more concerned with short term profit than not driving the economy into the ground

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

Clearly, economic anxiety is considered as a mitigating factor in the legal system as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's an ouroboros of bad decisions.

But only by the bad people. The good people were fine.

This is why neoliberalism (in the actual sense,not the slapfight usage) is doomed to failure: even if everyone acts as a perfectly rational consumer in The Markets, the incentives guiding those actions can lead to longterm disaster and, generally, nobody with agency has a reason to focus on the long term.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

Clearly, economic anxiety is considered as a mitigating factor in the legal system as well.

gently caress off with this

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/sen-booker-co-sponsoring-bernie-sanders-medicare-bill/

good news, everyone: Cory "importing cheaper drugs from Canada would be bad because, uh... safety" Booker has grasped the concept that publicly opposing improving health care for more americans, in an environment where there is literally no political advantage to doing so, is a bad idea

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
as long as everyone present realizes "economic anxiety" is a euphemism for blatant racism that is being downplayed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Economic hardship isn't the same thing as economic anxiety, turns out a good chunk of the people that report themselves most anxious about the economy are people who have above average wealth for their area and fear losing it and being like those around them.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Majorian posted:

They're all good boys that just got mixed up in something bad...no need to make a federal case out of it. <-most of white America's mindset

I'm a middle class white male and it makes me wonder about the morality of taking a bat to the head of every policeman that's ok with this as well as each of the "young [nazi] children". And I can't really imagine anyone I know saying "they're good boys that just got mixed up" out loud. Maybe thinking it at some point.

They'd mostly just say "well they obviously didn't know what they were doing should we ruin their lives so early?" Without even a hint of irony.

e: for clarity

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

Economic hardship isn't the same thing as economic anxiety, turns out a good chunk of the people that report themselves most anxious about the economy are people who have above average wealth for their area and fear losing it and being like those around them.

forgive me if i can't tell the difference anymore after dems spent 2016 pretending raising the minimum wage, single payer healthcare, and free college were appeals to racism

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

forgive me if i can't tell the difference anymore after dems spent 2016 pretending raising the minimum wage, single payer healthcare, and free college were appeals to racism

makes sense you wouldn't understand what economic hardship is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

makes sense you wouldn't understand what economic hardship is

yeah, making ~$20k a year sure has spoiled me

• Locked thread