Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So, bets on whether the Trump stuff migrates totally over here or if we just end up with two USPol threads because every 8 posts in the Trump thread start a USPol derail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's 9/11, would you like to read about the Falling Man or would you like to read about the Morgan Stanley Head of Security?

No rush, you can read the other one next year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

One way to slow global warming I guess.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It astounds me when people are unwilling to pay a 2-5% tax on their income to have the healthcare of everyone in the nation guaranteed.

My HSA payments and insurance premiums along are over 10% of every check and my company probably pays over 20% of my check for their portion of my premiums.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Xae posted:

Because the tax would be much higher than 2-5%.

You're already paying 2.9% for Medicare alone if you count payroll and income tax. Half that if you ignore payroll tax.

Healthcare if about 15% of the economy. If you expect the government to be the only one paying for it you should expect them to tax your income about that rate. There would be some savings, but there would also be an increased demand with a single payer system. To what extend they would offset is anyone's guess. But expect that the tax would be in the neighborhood of 15%.

Right, but you would expect that companies would be shouldering a portion of that tax just like they currently do with FICA.

I pay 200 bucks for premiums biweekly. My company pays 700 or so.

There wouldn't be much if any impact to their bottom line except maybe a profit.

But yeah, these are rough numbers and I'm not sure if anyone knows what the actual impact would be.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Single--payer isn't a great name for it. Too technical. We need to sell it to the morons, too. "Universal healthcare" sounds better and can't be willfully distorted by Republican wormtongues. "It's not *single* payer! We all pay for it, in our taxes! Can the American family pay thousands more dollars a year in taxes so that the workshy can get Botox at the dermatologist?"

It's called hlthCare. Get the app on your iPhone now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I... think I agree with Kurt.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jason Stockley, the cop who said "we're gonna kill this motherfucker," had his partner ram and disable the man's car, then ran up and shot him 5 times and probably planted a gun in the car, was just declared not guilty in St Louis.

The National Guard is already there, but it would appear more are heading in soon. I still have friends that are in and there's some movement on the back end, because Greitens has a boner for activating the National Guard.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/KMOVStLouis/videos/10159359106715603/

Live feed of protesters in an intersection.

Nothing terrible yet.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Radish posted:

Is this one of those cases where the jury was mega racist, where they were super authoritarian and there HAD to be a good reason the cop did what he did, the prosecutor intentionally made a lovely case (maybe not this one since that sort of thing happens more often in grand juries where they don't have to make stuff public after), or half of the evidence was inadmissible so they missed the real story?

There was no jury.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Protesters moving towards the highway.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/KMOVMatt/status/908718967493136384

Greitens is a poo poo stain and will empower either the Guard or police to kill someone else.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They are in front of police HQ now.

e: "No peace in this city until O'Toole steps down."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah the specifics of this case don't matter so much as the blatant guilt ruining faith in the judiciary.

The governing body has a responsibility to terminate this cops employment if only because he's now prompted city wide protest and that's kind of the opposite of doing your drat job.

He left and moved to Texas years ago

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well, our St. Louis office has been evacuated for the day. Is there a thread following the minute-to-minute of what's going on down there, or is it just general protesting+riots?

https://www.facebook.com/KMOVStLouis/videos/10159359106715603/

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

Kansas City hasn't become insane yet.

It's going to in the next few years. But not yet.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would very much like more details about this bipartisan deal to save insurance exchanges.

But I doubt it's real.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Provided it's registered and permitted, as well as the operator, who must also be insured.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

You already need a permit to carry in most jurisdictions, and I would enthusiastically support making them shall issue the way drivers licenses are. Insurance generally doesn't cover intentional acts, so IDK where you're going with that, except as a "ho ho, I've come up with one weird trick to price gun owners out of owning guns, no one has ever thought of this before!"

Yes, it is me, the one arguing in an intentionally obtuse manner.

(Where I live you can carry concealed without a permit. Even in the state capital.)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If it's a holiday and you don't get a to a local polling place or early vote by mail or whatever then I don't care how the gently caress it effects you :)

If all else remained equal but we just started sending out fine notices to people then yeah, that's not ok.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Quorum posted:

A national holiday would not meaningfully benefit most working class people, you'd need a national day where businesses are required to offer people the whole day off, which isn't impossible but would be a staggeringly huge endeavor.

or vote early by mail.

voting should be a two week thing and if you can't manage to find a loving stamp and send in your ballot then maybe you should be fined.

e: this is all hypothetical because i'm not sure compulsory voting would be a good thing for the good guys

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

You do realize that the United States is currently a country where ~42 million people are below the poverty line, millions more are poor in practice, and many of them work long hours at hard jobs with no flexibility?

“Having free time” is a privilege in our corporate nightmare world, friend.

Broadly speaking, more people voting is a good thing for non-conservatives. I just remain skeptical that a system of mandatory voting wouldn’t be used to harm minorities and the poor in a country with a proven track record of using voting regulations to do just that.

“Oh sorry, we didn’t receive your vote on time. You now have a bill.”

in this context you are arguing against something that would take 45 seconds and 45 cents (hell include a postage included envelope to return the ballot)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

What happens when someone loses it, or their mail is stolen, or etc.

I really don’t see the value in implementing a system that would be very easy to abuse to harm the most vulnerable in a country that routinely, explicitly uses the voting system to harm the poor and minorities.

I also can’t imagine we wouldn’t see the votes of non-white people conveniently disappear with more frequency that white people.

You drop the ballot in a mailbox. How are they gonna know which envelopes to lose? If they get to a collection/counting area and the barcode is fed in, it would just show they had voted.

This is like arguing that you should never issue parking tickets because the meter might have eaten someone's quarters

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

You really don’t seem to understand how pervasive historically the usage of voting regulations has been to poo poo on minorities and the poor.

Also arguably our entire system of parking and traffic tickets is discriminatory and poorly conceived, soooooo.

how the gently caress is parking discriminatory?

and yes I understand the history of how voting regulations have been abused but i think you use that to bake protections into a new system (especially when you're doing something as radical as instituting mandatory voting), not use it as an excuse for inaction.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Normally not a fan of gif replies but for some reason this one made my day.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I remember reading some of my evidence for a policy debate in high school and one of my pieces referencing the NMD system was a quote by Feinstein, at which point a whole group of adults in the practice area started getting pissy about "that bitch."

That's rural Missouri and that's my story.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Bet they've got some pretty hot takes about Nancy "Does Everything Right But Must Go" Pelosi too

"that bitch pelosi" is literally her name.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't understand why West felt the need to do this

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

jesus this thread is a cancer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Apparently The Rock is actually giving serious consideration to running, so there's a chance!

Keith Ellison would be great, but I dunno if he'd get elected. I guess we need to drop that line of thinking and run the best candidate, not "who would win" since "who would win" lost in a horrifyingly disappointing was last time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Iron Twinkie posted:

Didn't Rowling go from being extremely supportive of social safety nets that let her right her books in the first place to screaming that Jeremy Corbyn must be stopped at all costs as she claws at her gold? Money breaks people's brains.

That did not happen at all, you can answer poo poo like this with a quick google search to at least see if you're in the right ballpark.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes, she didn't like Corbyn, but it wasn't because she was pawing at her gold, which is the point I was getting at.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

instead of talking about that, let's talk about how I recently got to work with a woman who just became the first Hispanic mayor of a large mid-western city, and it was very cool to see her approach to diversity in business vs the woman I typically "work" with.

anyway, I am very happy for her and it seems like she's going to do good things and be a voice for the under-represented in what is a very red area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What do you mean "policy change"? For her new job or for approaching diversity as a business?

The latter is mostly just actually engaging suppliers rather than fixating on numbers and being good at finding new suppliers to fill a small niche.

• Locked thread