Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've seen people say he might be in witness protection but I think it's more likely he's just actually dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
everyone in that comic is a bit of an oversharing rear end in a top hat and they specifically are a psych major who likes being as much of an overanalytical dick as every psych major you've ever met, but also them being a bit of an rear end in a top hat to people is plot-relevant apparently in ways that are getting set up for the future

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

aegof posted:

Booster is Friendly Mike and it owns.

i'm hoping they're going to talk to amber and shape up for their first bit of Actual Plot Time given how bad she's reacting to how they're acting

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

StratGoatCom posted:

Why the gently caress does Dumbing of age even keep a fanbase when there's so many comics by actual queer creators doing those themes better then that train wreck

It aggressively bugs me.

given that willis announced that they're going by both he and they pronouns a few months back idk what exactly you're trying to say by "actual" queer creators

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is he nonbinary or genderqueer or something? He/they is very common for just about any masculine person, it only signifies you don't mind being called "they." Doesn't make you gay. I don't know anything about Willis or their personal life, but you gotta be a little deeper in than just gender neutral pronouns to be a queer creator IMHO.

i don't have his actual announcement about it handy because he wanted to say it quietly a few months back but it was about gender identity + i'm not going to be the sort of rear end in a top hat to say that someone isn't 'actually queer' b/c they didn't do enough in my eyes to appear queer. i'd recommend nobody else be that rear end in a top hat either!

also gender identity is different than sexuality so all you're doing by saying "doesn't make you gay" is showing how little you actually think about this subject yourself

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
1/5 stars, good effort

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yoooo this rules.

yeah sleepless domain is one of my favorite ongoing comics, very much worth following

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh wow, I've been following her CagleCats Twitter account for like two years and I read Let's Teach English years ago and had no idea any of this was connected.

she also has https://www.kiwiblitz.com/ which is on hiatus for the foreseeable future but is still a pretty good read

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd maybe put that in spoiler tags for the people who are just right now getting it recommended to them

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've never bought in but as far as i understand it slipshine is 'pay $x to get the entire library of what people have done for it' and not 'you pay individually for the artists you want'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
never even heard of it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

this is a hell of a comic and the most recent page is one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen in a webcomic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you say that like there's any chance of lulenski getting put back together in any form that approaches something that you can put in a jail

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FunkyAl posted:

https://hyperdrivencomic.com/

http://tarottournament.com/

Youse guys should read these comics! My friends do them.

I think gamergate would have ended a lot better if a larger adult, middle aged but physically large to an adult in the way an adult is to a child, stormed into Polygon, began destroying games, consoles and computers, Threw a ceramic statue of Mario through the window, and made everyone write an article of real, non-gaming news while he glowers at them.

i think you have a pretty poor understanding of what gamergate was if you think the problem that needed to be solved was polygon writing different articles, especially if your solution is (even jokingly) "someone should've gone to their offices and physically threatened people"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean, congratulations on finding your way to the wikipedia page, but when people are talking about gamergate these days they're referring to the targeted harassment of large chunks of both the videogame industry and the people who covered it (particularly, anyone who wasn't a straight white dude who was seen as not being a True Gamer).

the 'lack of coherent position' is referring to when the harassers were asked about why they were doing things like sending bomb threats to the target of the moment & couldn't come up with anything concrete as a smokescreen. even the inciting incident that named the movement was a fake -- the guy who started it admitted he just wanted to ruin his ex's life, nothing in it was true, and the core accusation of 'they slept with people to get positive reviews' fell apart when you actually went and looked and saw their game never got any reviews or even coverage on those websites

so, no, gamergate wouldn't have been solved by further attacking journalists! doing that was the problem in the first place!

(i know this is a sidetrack for the webcomics thread, but given that people were just talking about 'openly supporting gamergate' as a thing you could've done by accident that did no material harm I felt like it was important to clarify how wrong that is)

edit: sorry bea

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think there's a spectrum of 'people telling stories on the internet' between fanfiction and video production when judged in terms of how visual the storytelling is, and webcomics are most of the gradient between the two. some webcomics are basically illustrated stories, some get close to multimedia production, but it's webcomics all the way down

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
molly did the art not the writing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FunkyAl posted:

How are these webcomics getting movie deals. How do I get my work, on Steven Speilberg's desk

apparently you have to be a print best-seller first

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wrong thread

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's what it says in Hades

The Codex posted:

[...]My understanding is, despite popular belief, Demeter is no direct relation to Lord Hades or his brothers, being born of more ancient Titan stock[...]

presumably for reasons about persephone and hades having a relationship

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tenebrais posted:

Do we really need to spoiler Persephone and Hades being married? It's kind of the one myth they're known for.

i was spoiling persephone existing in the game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
star also put out a video in january on the subject, particularly what it's like for the parasocial relationship fans have with a creator when it's negative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

note: a pretty rough watch

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
octopus pie is a strong candidate for best webcomic, I think

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the last i'd heard of dresden codak before this conversation was that the author retconned kimiko's nationality from japanese to korean in some dumb way that i can't actually remember any details about

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GlyphGryph posted:

People were wrong the whole time, it wasnt fetishism it was self insert wish fulfillment!

Okay, maybe not, but Kimiko always *did* read a bit like an idealized self insert character, especially based on what I know of the guy from before he started making comics (they were a regular on several EZboards I also frequented back in the day and we interacted a surprising amount).

please remember that even if you don't like someone you should still gender them correctly

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
parasocial relationships absolutely and 100% existed before pewdiepie and other youtube celebrities, even just as a term. go ask jodie foster

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all i really want to do is make a point that nearly everyone who wants to have a career being an entertainer would rather have their fans not cross the boundaries they set for them, and I dislike talking about parasocial relationships as if they're an accepted casuality and/or intended result of existing in public like that

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's just very easy for parasociality to be discussed solely as a question of audience malfeasance, rather than a structural effect of a certain kind of performance, which was the original meaning of the term.

like, you're really dressing it up but you're still saying 'people shouldn't assume it's only the fan's fault, the performers brought it upon themselves for acting like that'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i haven't read qc in probably like a literal decade but i feel like once you've got your slice of life comic past some threshold of characters you probably can't spend your time on every single one of them all the time

and that threshold of characters is, like, a half dozen. or honestly probably less than that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jedit posted:

I found Clown Corps impossible to read because the web layout is so loving idiotic. It adds a button that sends you to a random page, but only on pages where someone has left a comment. And that button appears in exactly the same location as the Next button on pages that don't have a comment.

you can click on the comic to get to the next page, it's fairly standard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A.o.D. posted:

I have a serious problem with Wilde Life.

Just what part of Oklahoma is that green?

the part around where there's a magic forest, I guess

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's extremely clear about why she had to make time for personal things somewhere and i don't really think it's right to criticize that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also a weird thing where Sarah's cheery upbeat sister showed up, and she has some kind of complex about trying to prove that she's an adult by eschewing childish things like religion. And that culminated in a weird thing where she propositioned Joe only to back down at the last minute either because she wasn't actually horny and didn't believe what she was saying earlier or because Joe's penis is inherently and uniquely demeaning to women and Willis is rediscovering a weird new angle to be a similar sort of prude to what he was in college.

it was because she realized despite being rebellious she still wanted her first time to mean something + the comic's trying to show joe as trying to be less of a fuckup and respecting that she's saying no, not either of those weird conclusions you came to

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think ruth and billie's relationship was ever treated as not extremely toxic in the comic; they're not together anymore and carla was shown to be in the right (ruth ended up getting the help she needed including medication)

there's a comic in 2016 where billie blows up at carla for finally revealing the details of the relationship but that's more 'being upset at the consequences of their actions' and not entirely grasping that ruth's life getting potentially upheaved was better than ruth not actually being alive and i THINK that's the bit that's being misinterpreted

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you'd think with this many people enjoying projecting poo poo onto the author there'd be a several hundred page BSS thread on the comic already

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
some of it does but it's mostly a historical artifact these days. updates with voiced flash animations!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd say 'don't even bother' but now that you've started you can probably just ask here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

habeasdorkus posted:

Was gonna say that I thought Undertale was Homestuck adjacent/related/influenced.

toby fox worked on undertale literally in hussie's basement, as well as being a major contributor to homestuck's soundtrack

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nothing deserves to be the next homestuck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
thread discourse hit a critical mass and people have a problem historically with viewing a comic outside what sa has decided is happening about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Oblivious posted:

Loup who has the memories of Annie’s father figures is now developing tsundere anime boy crushes on her in the guise of a robot teenage boy.

Annie has repeatedly looked at the camera and said Tony’s abuse is excusable because social anxiety cannot be helped under any circumstances.

Mainly those two things. Hoo boy. It is a legit really bad comic.

Oh wait I forgot the elf teenagers talking like lower class english stereotypes who were about to sexually assault a naive robot girl, who needed a badass boy to rescue her from her own naïveté.

if you're wondering about how bad the thread got, by the way, these takes on what has happened in the comic is the tip of the iceberg