Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's weird that the reader knows that Little Claire did an arson once, but the Mystery Kids don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

The plot thickens!

So, clearly timedad is up to something. The question is, what?

Maybe Tim Jones' dad really did spontaneously combust and this isn't him at all!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

My first webcomic was some... gag a day comic with a "[character] and [character]" name and I want to say one of them was a penguin? But most importantly it had a link to Order of the Stick I eventually discovered and THAT had links at the time to a bunch of other stuff.

When you think about it there was something fairly magical about the fact that webcomics used to cross-promote just to other webcomics that the creators liked, not as part of an advertising program or cross-brand synergy but purely on the basis of enthusiasm for the material.

Obviously it had side benefits but there's still something pure and kinda sweet about it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Anything a cowboy would say is fine, I think. Hoss, pardner, slim, slick, cowpoke, buckaroo, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Willo567 posted:

This probably has already been discussed before, but has anyone read A Better Place

https://tapas.io/episode/87972

It's about the adventures of a girl who gains the power to create anything

Hilarity ensures!

This is incredible. Thanks for the tip!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love these next generation Tackleford kids. Really charming.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Linton finally got some extra characterisation and it's hilarious.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Is it legal to Kickstart that? Seems really wacky. I guess Kickstarter isn't technically paying to pre-order a book, but it seems like a big leap from drawing a webcomic with licensed characters and soliciting donations to actually crowdfunding the publication of books starring licensed properties you don't own.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That post hits pretty close to home. I hope he finds his way out of it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think I've ever seen GPF before, but it's pretty hilarious to read a few strips of what appears to be sci-fi melodrama with heavy continuity and then click first comic and it's Just Dilbert.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love the animated Tetris strip where Faye realises her feelings. That's a weirdly apt description of how that feels.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think she's okay. She has trauma from being built as a war machine and then being decommissioned, so her purpose is literally illegal and the only place she can fulfil her programmed nature is in an illegal venue, which is the low point Faye meets her at. She's big and scary and doesn't eat or drink or wear clothes, so she feels alienated from society. It's not exactly the most groundbreaking "robot as alienated minority" narrative in the world, but it's there.

That arc's resolution was uniquely awful though. But I like Bubbles, and I think her and Faye's friendship has been the strongest part of QC for a while.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That one panel is also the premise of the Stephen King short story I Am the Doorway. So if you want to continue your vibe of unsettled fear, I guess you could read that?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the British education pipeline goes like this:

Primary School: Ages 4-11. You sit SATs in the final year that determine your initial placement in secondary school attainment sets.

Secondary School (also often called high school colloquially): Ages 11-16. You sit a series of major exams called the GCSEs in the final year, Year 11, which is where the original mystery kids are at right now. Until very recently, this was the extent of mandatory education, and you could go and get a job or an apprenticeship after graduating at 16. Further education starts with:

College: Ages 16-18. This is a two year intensive study program where you pick up to five subjects of your choice, drop one in the second year if you choose, and graduate with specific advanced qualifications in, hopefully, fields you're interested in. College is a really wide open experience with almost no mandatory subjects (in the first year you do have to attend a mandatory class teaching general life skills and formal logic).

For instance, my subjects were Law, English Literature, English Language, and Drama & Theatre Studies, no maths or sciences at all. If you want you can pick like, Music Technology, Urdu, Archaeology, and Computer Science. Colleges usually also offer many vocational courses as extracurriculars, so while you're studying for university admissions you can get an official qualification in health and safety or graphic design or similar.

It's honestly a great system that really encourages young people to follow excellence in their interests, and prevents them from being dragged down by subjects they hate. It's also useful for universities, since the specificity of the courses helps them pick out talent for a given degree program more accurately. College recently became mandatory in the UK, so all 16-18 year olds are now expected to attend.

Colleges that are attached to a secondary school and function as an adjunct/extension of it are called sixth forms. Old, fancy schools tend to have these. Most secondary school students who go to a school with a sixth form will just continue on in the same school for college education out of inertia and familiarity, although it isn't mandatory. Griswolds apparently had an adjunct sixth form which is now being closed, so Shauna, Lottie, Mildred et al will have to scramble round the local colleges going to open days and worrying about admissions. This is probably pretty stressful when they thought they had their next two years of schooling already sorted out. The college you go to really matters - it's kind of like "university lite", and the quality of the teaching and resources on offer can vary widely, so this is a significantly more stressful development than, say, having to go to a different secondary school would be.

University: Either a three or a four year undergraduate course where you pick a subject and study towards a degree. Very similar to the American system, although there are no "majors" or "minors" - you study just one subject, or pick a degree which is specifically combined i.e., History and Classics or Literature and Philosophy. As a result the course load tends to be higher, but more focused, so it encourages getting really good at just one thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also pretty much everything you could study at a degree level course is also available as a college level course, so at age 16 you can be studying things like law, psychology, philosophy, business, film studies, fine art, geology, etc. It's a fantastic kick-start for getting young people involved in the fields they're actually interested in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

So what exactly are A-Levels, are they...tests? Advanced classes?

They're qualifications garnered by a combination of tests and coursework spread out over the two years you're in college. It varies by course, but generally you'll have two or three major coursework assignments (an essay for a "paper" subject, a performance piece or composition for subjects like theatre or music) along with two or three written exams for each year. Your marks for both years are averaged to give you a letter grade for your A level qualifications, with the first year being weighted more lightly than the second in the averaging, to give students who were still getting to grips with the system a break. The best universities uniformly require at least three As at A-level to even consider you for admission to a degree course, so it's pretty high stakes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

(The mildly confusing part is that they're called "A levels" when that has nothing to do with the letter grade you receive. It just stands for "advanced level".)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

But why is it the sixth form. What are the previous five forms.

Secondary school has five "forms" (an antiquated term for pupils divided by year group), so if it's a college attached to a secondary school and you continue directly from one to the other, it's sort of like the "sixth form".

This is confusing to non-posh British people too, because no-one has called them forms in decades. Instead, you would say an 11-12 year old is in Year 7, a 12-13 year old is in Year 8, etc. This follows on directly from the primary school year groups, which start with Reception, a preparatory year for kids to get used to school, and then progress from Year 1 (5-6 year olds) through to Year 6 (10-11 year olds).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The "most schools have them" thing is absolutely not true, and I have no idea where Tom Siddell got that. Some do, but it's definitely not the norm. He probably just grew up in a part of the country (or an era?) where it was common.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MikeJF posted:

If Griswald's is so terrible and cash-strapped and the Wendleford college is excellent wouldn't this be kinda a good thing?

They've had the rug pulled out from under them and they're going to have to commute into strange and hated Wendlefield, I imagine would be the key problems. Then again maybe this will go further towards building some bridges between these towns divided. Maybe the Wendlefield mystery kids (or what's left of them) will even be attending the same college!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

avshalemon posted:

if you could snap your fingers and your perfect dream webcomic would pop into existence (with a reliable update schedule, non-jerk creator, all those good things). what would it be?

Homestuck, but more of it, and again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I am 100% for feminism. Sinfest however did a hard turn into a weird straw form of feminism. It was the 'no such thing as allies' strip that had me stop reading. (It basically said that males are inherently evil and cannot redeem themselves)

I've seen a few men with untreated mental health issues take this sort of penitent martyr tack on feminist thought, and it usually doesn't indicate much actual respect for women, just an extraordinary amount of personal insecurity.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The creator of PFSC first asked not to be addressed as John Campbell, then asked to be addressed only as Basic Income Please.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I found the thing they said where they were like, "when I told Kickstarter backers my story and why I needed the money, I sold a lot of original art, and when I sold it without the story on Twitter, barely any - so the market value of my art changed based on whether I was willing to share my personal life with strangers," pretty compelling. It's true, and it's not even necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a little discomfiting when you think about it like that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Who would have guessed that people prefer to give money to folks who need it and they can empathize with? You ask me, I'd honestly call it a good thing.

Samuringa posted:

I mean, if you're an independent artist you have to go out there and get your public. I frequent a - now mostly dead - Discord Channel of Indie Comic Book people and there were a lot of chats over how they could get their works to reach more people, their own websites, which social media, which cons, etc.

Right, but if you consider it from the perspective of a stressed out artist (who is in fact making genuinely good stuff), it probably feels pretty dehumanising that your work sells bigger when you bare your soul and expose your personal life to a bunch of people you don't know. Like, the hope when you're creating something is that the art should stand on its own merits, and now you know it doesn't and you need to provide a public sideshow to help it sell.

Like I say, it's a good thing that people are more willing to give when they see that someone's in need, but from the perspective of a depressed artist it probably doesn't feel great that they have to expose their inner life like that to get their work moving. Especially when it's legitimately good work (which PFSC is), and they know it's good. Your inner picture of artistic success on the project you're spending your life on probably doesn't include begging people to buy your work so you can cover costs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Your work sells even better if you make it be about Rick and Morty or a fetish so tying any personal ego to the idea the quality of your work is measured by its market value is a great recipe for becoming a depressed artist, yet Campbell's stuff was moving exceptionally well for a self-employed artist who doesn't know any billionaires well before they started posting those updates. Literally every indie comics and small press person has sold more poo poo on Kickstarter than on fuckin Twitter, one's a marketplace for buyers seeking smalltime craftspeople that transformed cottage industry and one's a forum for Nazis to shitpost.

Campbell's problem was they were neither experienced in managing a business no matter how popular nor neurochemically equipped to not zero in on the most negative possible interpretation of anything that was happening to them regardless of external circumstances, not that they were actually one of those leukemia kids forced to perform their misery to an audience on GoFundMe if they wanna live. They were a shrink and an accountant away from being a successful and beloved professional artist.

That's true. I'm just saying I can absolutely see how that experience would provoke a breakdown from someone.

Like, the reason they had to beg for money in the first place was because a bunch of Kickstarter backers asked for refunds for books that weren't going to arrive before Christmas, and Campbell gave them the refunds freely because they felt it was the right thing to do, then found themselves in the hole and needing to sell the original art for their strips as a result of doing this basically ethical thing. That's psychologically tough too.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pillowfort has been in development as a replacement for Tumblr by various people who pretty much gave up on Tumblr moderating/doing things the userbase wanted, and yeah, it's just now approaching launch. I think it's currently in "five dollars gets you beta access" mode. I have no idea how good/reliable it will be, though. It's basically just a user-funded internet project, which don't have the best track record for consistency. Then again, AO3 has similar roots and is still going strong.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Clean Your Teeth posted:

To try and save you all from the wierd QC loop you've gotten stuck in, & because someone somewhere mentioned Kid Radd recently & got me thinking of ~2000's era comics, you should be aware of IRRITABILITY

Somehow it's been running since 1999 and as half of all webcomics at the time were its sort of set within an RPG, but it starts getting interesting / coherent in 2009 when one of the charcaters makes their own dungeon:
http://maze.icomix.com/comicpage/b.php?i=754

It's never going to be a majorly popular webcomic, but I think people here might like the sense of humor.

However, the real gem of IRRITABILITY is it's separate 'Bad Comic' series where the creator has been :justpost:ing with no regard to continuity or traditional standards of good sense since 2011 : http://maze.icomix.com/comicpage/bad.php?o=1.

A few highlights:
Animals!

The Crystal Lizards!

The Brandon Trilogy!:

Some of these are really funny and I've absolutely never heard of this before. Huh. Thanks!

Phy posted:

If every six months the writers got tired of Chandler and swapped him out for a big booty robot

I remember this season of Friends. Weird, but good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean to be fair, Tai and Dora have been dating for years of real time now. I have no idea how much time is meant to have passed in strip years, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

That's a scottish brogue. She's Nessie.

It absolutely is not, is the thing. And also her kids don't have it. And also it's so bad. "Joost"? Come on, man.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Writing phonetic accents is almost always a terrible idea. Word choices and slang usage are often much better at establishing a regional voice than any attempt at an accent, which almost always comes off as either unreadable, exaggerated to racist levels or both.

Yeah, I increasingly feel that the problem with writing dialect phonetically is like - it automatically positions the reader as someone who speaks with a "neutral" accent. If you transcribed practically any accent phonetically, it would sound weird and stupid, but characters who speak in the dialect positioned by the author as neutral, acceptable, non-foreign (and usually middle class) get to have their speech written out in standard English. It gives the text a perspective by saying, "now, this is the accent we don't write out phonetically, because this is the good and normal accent".

Like, if you phonetically transcribed even newscaster-perfect American English, you'd get a bunch of glottal stops and softened t's, because those are features of the accent, but people only write Americans that way in old British children's books that want to portray them as strange foreigners. Same deal with British Received Pronunciation, where if you transcribe it phonetically "Thursday" becomes "Thuhsday" and "butter" becomes "buttah", but it's considered the top accent socially so that's almost never done. It's almost impossible to write phonetic dialect without inadvertently making a statement on which accents are low status enough to merit it, and which accents are high status enough to be transcribed non-phonetically.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ah yes, the hand and the face, the two easiest parts of the human body to draw. If you're caught drawing one incorrectly they blacklist you from the industry, they're just that easy to do.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who (seem to) have really limited experience of visual art making these goofy, sweeping critiques like, "the anatomy here is Wrong, I know because I read a blog post about Rob Liefeld once".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Part of the style bible of Steven Universe is that the characters have no consistent heights, just a vague relativistic height. The show mostly sticks to this, although sometimes like, Lapis is taller than Pearl and sometimes vice versa. But like, the look of the show is designed around "on model" being a pretty flexible idea, especially with regards to scale, so it all works.

I actually remember when Adventure Time was first debuting, people were really a lot more rigid about how Good Cartoons Are On Model, and some animation nerds were really snobby about how Finn's body and head shape changed dramatically depending on the nature of the scene or who was boarding that episode. Even in the thread here, some people were really turned off by the first episode boarded by Jesse Moynihan, who has a really idiosyncratic, alt comix-y style and transferred that directly onto Jake.

That flexibility, of course, turned out to be a huge part of the show's visual appeal and potential to cover a wide range of moods and themes, and those people were missing that sometimes deviation from traditional methods is artistically generative and rewarding!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

A few months ago someone posted a pretty good ongoing comic about aliens infiltrating a suburb. Ring any bells?

The Neighbors, by R.L. Thull. I've been following it since it was linked here, and it's good!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The latest strip apparently features...Trump as a "woke drone", which the strip has flying around enforcing their PC thought police message of tolerance and castigating "bigots". Seems like incoherent satire. Like, I can see what he's driving at with the "woke drone" thing, even if I don't agree, but...why is one of them Trump?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the point is clearly explained in the third strip: the establishment embracing and coopting a kind of superficial lean-in feminism that gives a few token women a hand on the whip but doesn't fundamentally challenge the existing heirarchy, in order to defuse more sweeping critiques (nothing is changed in an all-women Die Hard, it doesn't actually say anything). This is unlike the true revolutionary art of writing a Sarah Zero-esque intensely self-referential string of zingers against assorted categories of women, as a self-described male feminist and therefore authority on femininity.

How this follows into "Trump is a woke-bot enforcing the agenda of liberal intersectional feminists", however, I'm not quite sure. Ishida's theory is a mess.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, Sinfest definitely has a rudimentary grasp on radical feminism, and it can express Ishida's perspective effectively. The problem is that Ishida has an understanding of radical feminism that appears to be entirely based on "people he met on Twitter who are mad at libfems".

All his successful expressions of radical theory (gender is a construct and a tool of social control, tokenism isn't real change, etc) are mixed in with snarls about how liberal feminists are functionally right-wing misogynists - which is not a pillar of radical theory, but the artefact of him having learned his theory from socially polarised Twitter warriors rather than, you know, books.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

lol at assuming terfs aren't libfems with a different coat of paint

"Libfem" is the radfem word for third wave feminists, not whatever "neo-liberalism bad" thing you're thinking. The implication of the people who use it tends to be that being a third wave intersectional feminist is ideologically synonymous with being a neoliberal, which...yeah, generally not the case.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

And then there's also stuff that's still held over from his own misogyny that he never really bothered to examine in the context of radical feminism, which is why you have him complaining about trans-inclusive feminism policing and reinforcing gender while he is simultaneously busy policing and reinforcing gender.

On this note, it's definitely revealing that he makes all his female protagonists conventionally pretty, slender, etc, while the strip's antagonists are mostly (caricatures of real people) drawn as ugly zombies. Hotness is equal to natural virtue in Sinfest - not exactly a rad fem take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even really sure how Ishida thinks you ought to Woman Correctly except that it involves being rude a lot.

If you're a woman who doesn't hate trans people, or a third wave intersectional feminist in general, you're a brainwashed handmaiden desperate to be liberated by Ishida's spunky Cool Girl protagonists. Basically the comic's perspective appears to be that the correct way to woman is to share his very specific take on a very modern, anachronistic, non-scholarly version of second wave radical feminist theory. Women who do so are cool and hot. Women who don't are nervous Stepford Wives who need to be liberated by his barely coherent praxis.

I only dipped into the archive as a result of this discussion, and that's what I gleaned from the last hundred strips or so. It's not great.