Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think he knew what he was walking into. I know people poo poo hard on him but Daley hosed the finances of the city up so bad that no one can possibly save it.

Rahm's always seemed like he's been connected enough to know stuff - the cities' finances were well known to be a mess in 2010. But absolutely Daley left an impossible situation.

quote:

The next round of candidates will be terrible because no sane person could possibly want that job.

I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would want to be mayor here, except other than to just squeeze the city for cash and then loving get out of dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Oracle posted:

Holy poo poo y’all I never thought I’d live to see the day.

Lincoln Towing has lost their license to operate!

For those of you unfamiliar with Chicago, Lincoln Towing has been such a scourge on the city for so long there was a folk song written about their lovely business practices back in the 1970s. They have long been considered untouchable because of corruption and probable mob ties. This is like just below ‘Cubs win the World Series’ on the list of ‘poo poo that will never happen but Chicagoans really wish would.’

Oh God, the world really is gonna end soon isn’t it.

Pawar for mayor. The dude started the most recent heavy push against them, didn't he?

Meanwhile - Pritzker isn't going to release his tax return beyond the cover letter, and meanwhile after publically making nice with those folks who said his company blocked their unionization efforts - he's done a total about face.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yup: https://www.facebook.com/billy.dean.77/posts/2411070308918169?__xts__[0]=68.ARD2F3oSXLYRr46ta9sAJBIl0NDOsRSvXt-uZ1FoiTaZee1xzZfYBc9Pp6F3ZTinghCOuvX10pv-RYICDtTq2tyhBjgh3Zu-UDbP3x4NxTffoaLw5xwdUmdJU7DrHsDLR7JGGkU3YsPvjD4BOJoh_ljGbLfx-fOHtdKED47QwYscrTLHa8COAy4&__tn__=H-R

Gotta c/p it because the Facebook bracketing confuses the bbcode.

EDIT: Or better -

quote:

Union update: Last Saturday (9/1), JB Pritzker told us a lot of nice things, such as supporting our efforts, and supporting a card check process. He followed through on none of these things. Despite the fact that we have (and have had) a strong majority, the company is going to push this to elections, and has hired an outside Union-busting firm to try and win through attrition. The most frustrating part is we're such a small crew, they almost definitely spent more hiring that firm than they would have if they just gave us healthcare.

Rumor is they are planning 'captive audience' meetings on the other boats again, now that they think nobody is paying attention. Last time those were only shut down because outside labor groups called on our behalf (Thank you all again, you're the only reason we still have a fighting chance here)

So there are two possibilities here. Either JB Pritzker really is on our side, and just can't get it done, even at a company that literally shares his name. (He says he stepped away from managing the company, but he still owns it and profits from it. I'm sure they'd take a phone call.)

Or, he doesn't actually stand for the things he says.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Chicago Tribune posted:

When Lovett’s crimes came to light in April 2000, Paul Vallas was CEO of Chicago schools. A concerned Johnson parent reached out to Vallas and his top aides on behalf of the school community, records show. But internal CPS case-tracking records show that an investigation was not launched until after Vallas — now a candidate for mayor — resigned his post in June 2001.

Vallas ignored complaints about sexual abuse at CPS. He’s done.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Trib endorses Rauner.

God their editorial page gives the NYT a run for its money.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I’m still mad that Pawar had to drop out. But goddamn the Democratic Party loves tripping over its own dick. There’s a lot of people in the party that believe(d) that he is the only one who could have credibly run against Rauner because of his cash.

It genuinely seems like Pritzker is the only guy in the state that could possibly lose to a governor hated across party lines.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

This loving guy

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Ives is one to talk when her career is mostly funded by one rich rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of Republican money, is Rauner still going to keep cash flowing down the ticket or is he done completely?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Gov.-Elect J.B. Pritzker Backs Off Temporary Tax Plan

Goddamnit.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

In Pritzker’s case I doubt its weakness. He just said whatever to make it palatable for him to win and now that’s that.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Sure, everyone talks unity and bipartisanship, but generally, it's in vague generalities, and not starting to slow walk a major campaign promise.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It seems too early to really tell. There’s a ton of candidates and there’s no one particularly exciting.

But gently caress McCarthy, Daley, and Vallas. Mendoza seems fairly suspect too.

Unless someone really distinguishes themselves I’ll probably vote for Toni.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Enyia endorsing Fioretti is one of the weirder things about her. That guy seems like such a transparent phony, and that's before he flipped and endorsed Emanuel.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah, I’ve got no idea who I’m voting for. I was leaning Toni but she’s had a lot of stuff (Burke, the sexual harassment accusation) where she has no decent response.

Lol at progressive organizations that are behind Toni that loudly complain about Eniya taking money from Kanye but silent about Burke.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

He wasn’t a perfect candidate either but it’s a drat shame they dispatched Chuy with an easy win. I thought at the time that it was to knock out a formidable rematch to Rahm but now who knows.

I would easily support him over any of these folks.

And yeah Amara endorsing Fioretti (who similarly bafflingly endorsed Rahm) really throws her judgment into question.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Her whole wind up before dropping that verdict pretty much made it clear that if Van Dyke had her he'd be a free man today. Despicable.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did van dyke have the option for a judge instead of jury? Judges always acquit cops and it makes me nuts. Wish we could make all cops have to get a jury, but I don’t think that’s constitutional.

If I recall correctly he chose a jury, which was a pretty foolish choice for him but a great choice for justice being served.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

That said: Judge Gaughan was a wild card. Stephenson I think is a former prosecutor and cozier with cops. Gaughan was a public defender before he became a judge.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

81 months and can potentially leave around ~3 years with good behavior.

Bad week for justice.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I thought he’d go a bit harder because he was so tough on the defense during the trial. But nope.

Saying that because it’s a sentence that makes everyone unhappy it’s secretly good can gently caress off.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Other than alderman/mayor votes is there anything else I should school myself on? Judges etc?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Ah, pretty simple ballot. The only race I know pretty much nothing about is clerk. Everything else I'm fairly well decided on.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Tribune editorial staff continues their spectacular run of just completely moronic pieces with an endorsement of *Bill Daley*

I shouldn't expect any better from the Trib, but really, lol.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

With Amazon pulling out of NYC, it’ll be pretty interesting to see what the candidates say now.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Chuu posted:

I'd be curious to know what they specifically think of Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. I'm assuming that they'd still endorse Periwinkle because of how much weight they put on Police issues, but almost every positive they attribute to Periwinkle is strategic and no long really a concern in a race of two candidates.

EDIT: Found their opinion about Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. Look like Lightfoot's Police record in their eyes is completely disqualifying. While I can totally understand that point of view, I believe strongly enough that unchaining Chicago from Machine Politics is critical for the future, and I'd rather gamble on Lightfoot pushing in that direction and swallow her terrible record on Police Brutality rather than Periwinkle's guarantee of the status quo.

Put strategically, I believe the worst outcome of voting for Lightfoot and being wrong is basically continuation of the status quo. And voting for Periwinkle basically guarantees that.

Lightfoot is taking money from Rahm’s lawyer, got endorsed by the right-wing aldermen, is taking money from an anonymous organization, and flip flopped on the gang database.

I really don’t think Lightfoot is going to represent a change- I think she’s going to continue business as usual. Also, I think police issues are the issue. If the Laquan McDonald murder didn’t happen (or he was successful in covering it up) Rahm would be running.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

That's the thing. If you think policing is the only issue, Lightfoot is completely in the wrong. But if you care about schools, handouts to corporations and developers, or tax equity, then she's far better than Preckwinkle.

I'm similarly skeptical of her on corporate handouts if she was supporting Amanda Yu Dietrich for alderman (she lives in that ward). Even if Carlos Ramirez-Rosa is an outspoken Preckwinkle supporter, Dietrich was backed by Rahm and Fishman.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Even though my preferred candidate is almost certainly losing it will be cool as hell once Rahm is no longer mayor.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Her campaign people are so loving incompetent that it’ll be a shocker if they aren’t in charge of the 2020 dem’s campaign.

I generally defend her, but gently caress.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

They and the Trib have a mandate to be completely out of step with the times.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

She promised that she'd do it during the campaign (though she made a bunch of other promises that didn't pan out).

That said, it makes her sticking with Eddie Johnson look pretty bad.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Liz, Dick Uihlein, Lake Forest mega-donors and COVID-19 skeptics test positive for coronavirus (Sun-Times)

Whoops!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

This is practically ancient history right now, but I assume that he was probably participating in Operation Chaos which was a Limbaugh lead charge to get Republicans to vote in the 2008 primary to keep the Obama/Clinton fight going.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I'm sure the Chicago Tribune is busy working on a series of corrections to their editorials about all the people fleeing Illinois.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

How much is the state going to have to spend to remove his name from all facilities and document templates?

They'll have to consult with Chicago about the cost of replacing Daley's name on everything.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone even stand a chance against Pritzker? I feel like he's been mostly scandal-free (at least by Illinois standards) and has a war chest to use in a general election. It's a strong blue state and Bailey is pretty far-right.

I feel relatively chastened by the last six years so I'm afraid to say anything, but yeah I can't see soft blue burbs breaking for Bailey. And yet inflation, gas, pandemic, so who the gently caress knows I guess.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't think so. He was backed by pretty much every progressive group in the state. He did have the issue of dropping Carlos Rameriz-Rosa from the ticket because he supported the BDS movement (essentially pro-Palestine).

He fumbled the poo poo out of this. Pawar seems pretty cool though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Big Black Dick posted:

This election cycle is reminding me just how incredibly annoying unsolicited political texts are.

gently caress. Off.

Its funny I got a lengthy text from one of the campaigns that linked to the Girl, I Guess voting guide, so apparently now that guide has enough juice that candidates are public about its endorsement.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Sad that he threw a shitload of money at a loser that he didn't bother vetting, Ken Griffin is packing up his poo poo and going to Florida a place where his lovely politics are the norm.

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1539980574445768708

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Oracle posted:

Good loving riddance, now stop polluting our drat state with your excess wealth. Maybe we can get the graduated income tax back on the ballot now and really start fixing poo poo in this corrupt, messed up state.

I forgot about the tax thing he hosed up. They should definitely take another go at it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Inside the Illinois GOP's $50 million primary 'debacle'

NBC posted:

“This is the biggest debacle I’ve ever seen. It’s the biggest screw-up I’ve ever seen and the biggest waste of money I’ve ever seen,” said former Illinois Republican Party Chair Pat Brady, who is doing communications work for candidate Gary Rabine.

lol. Glad for as hosed as the D's are on a national level, state dems are about as cutthroat and brutal as they should be.