Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Sour Diesel posted:

then i am dumb

Nah, you and Kalli are both right otherwise just not on the number of timeouts :)

It was one of those messed up plays that is just really unfortunate. The whole thing was like this perfect storm of crap for all the stars to align into drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Then I was mistaken as well I suppose, the Fox ticker thing had a TO left for the Lions.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Then I was mistaken as well I suppose, the Fox ticker thing had a TO left for the Lions.

They had burned all 3 on the previous Falcon's possession when they forced the punt.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Something I've wondered about. We all know that maximizing offensive possession exhausts defenses (as evident on the two seahawks losses so far), but why is that, and why doesn't the offence get exhausted too? Is it a matter of team structure, where all your depth for substitutions is on offense? You've got a different RB for each down but the same corners or linebackers play every down? Just curious why the defense tires while the opposing offense doesn't.

Part of it is that the offense sets the tempo, so if the offense can go fast, it will go fast. If it needs a breather, it can slow down. The defense has to react to that, which leads to another part of the equation; the defense has to be ready and react. The offense has a play that it runs, and the players know what to do. The defense doesn't, and thus may end up wasting energy reacting incorrectly to a play.

I'm sure the smart football people here can expound further, those were just two reasons off the top of my head.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The_Hat posted:

I'm sure the smart football people here can expound further

And me!

Defense, more than offense, is only as good as the worst person on the field. So when a defense is getting tired the offense can focus on whoever is gassing the worst.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

weird Asian candy posted:

They had burned all 3 on the previous Falcon's possession when they forced the punt.

Yeah, that was part of what burned them. They got off one less play because prior to the 2 minute warning they could have run a play but they had an injured player who slowly ran off the field and couldn't be subbed in time to get the snap off.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Edit: meant for n/v

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: fire Capers

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Please stop supporting this rigged fake league my friends

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
*punts 4&1 at cowboys 46*
how the.. heck we lose??? it must be that uncalled pi

*misses a thousand throws from 1 yard line*

ahh if only... 7 more seconds...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Oh, here's why the 10s runoff on instant replays on live clocks exists btw: (it's at 1:10 the time link doesn't work when launching it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0-33uBx68&t=70s

Unrelated to anything but Darren Sharper pick later on in this video.

gently caress Darren Sharper.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Vhak lord of hate posted:

*punts 4&1 at cowboys 46*
how the.. heck we lose??? it must be that uncalled pi

*misses a thousand throws from 1 yard line*

ahh if only... 7 more seconds...

Not to say the Lions didn't get screwed, they did, but that first pic also takes some liberties to incorrectly depict when his knee was down...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My core contention is this: at the end of the day, regardless of how much time was actually left on the clock (Impossible to say), and regardless of whether Tate was down (He was), the game ended because the refs made a mistake. Had they properly called Tate down to begin with, the Lions would at least have had a chance (No matter how minor) to make a play and end the game on their terms. Instead, because the refs improperly called a touchdown, the Lions were robbed of that last chance and forced to watch helplessly as time expired. And don't get me wrong, the Lions had plenty of chances to win the game before that, either on Tate's catch itself, on the plays preceding it, and even earlier in the game when they failed to stop Freeman or score more than a single offensive touchdown. The Falcons won the game because they straight up scored more points, and played like the better team-but that doesn't change the fact that the ending was an utter travesty and a mockery of officiating.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 26, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Whoops, double post

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

iospace posted:

Hot take: fire Capers

Nah. Defense has been up and down has played really well in 1.5 games.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Re: Lions, history shows its a bad idea to throw an inaccurate slant at the goal line

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Please stop supporting this rigged fake league my friends

you should

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Manoueverable posted:

Re: Lions, history shows its a bad idea to throw an inaccurate slant at the goal line

I kept thinking they should just try to run it at least once, but they probably thought a running play would have eaten too much clock :smith:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My core contention is this: at the end of the day, regardless of how much time was actually left on the clock (Impossible to say), and regardless of whether Tate was down (He was), the game ended because the refs made a mistake. Had they properly called Tate down to begin with, the Lions would at least have had a chance (No matter how minor) to make a play and end the game on their terms. Instead, because the refs improperly called a touchdown, the Lions were robbed of that last chance and forced to watch helplessly as time expired. And don't get me wrong, the Lions had plenty of chances to win the game before that, either on Tate's catch itself, on the plays preceding it, and even earlier in the game when they failed to stop Freeman or score more than a single offensive touchdown. The Falcons won the game because they straight up scored more points, and played like the better team-but that doesn't change the fact that the ending was an utter travesty and a mockery of officiating.

It's kind of a lose-lose situation though, because in most cases people would want them to call the touchdown to initiate the automatic review. The alternative is calling him down short with the Lions having no challenges, and the game still ends (because there is literally no way they get that next snap off, unless you think Tate doesn't spend even a half-second thinking that he was in). There seems to be a general trend lately of refs, in extremely close and game-important situations, erring on the side of making the call that initiates an automatic review, and it's mostly been a positive thing. The fact is that he was down short, and any correct decision the refs made was going to result in the Lions losing the game. At least by calling it a score and reviewing it they had a chance to take a close look and make sure the call was correct before the game was over.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Manoueverable posted:

Why you bringing KJU into this?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Chichevache posted:

Why you bringing KJU into this?

Kim Il-Sung thought and the juche ideal is objectively and politically correct and you've really showed your true colors with this racial slur. Looks like you'll make a great cop big fella!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh someone ran the query for me, I didn't think about just checking PFR.

Kareem Hunt is off to the second best start in NFL history from a yards from scrimmage standpoint. #1? Billy Sims.

I did not expect it to be Billy Sims, and now I'm all worried because Billy didn't last very long.

e: Oh that's apparently since 1950, so someone else might have more from before then.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 26, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/912514214568357888

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

Oh someone ran the query for me, I didn't think about just checking PFR.

Kareem Hunt is off to the second best start in NFL history from a yards from scrimmage standpoint. #1? Billy Sims.

I did not expect it to be Billy Sims, and now I'm all worried because Billy didn't last very long.

e: Oh that's apparently since 1950, so someone else might have more from before then.

Did you know he has a barbecue chain?!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Did you know he has a barbecue chain?!

Aside from hearing about him during OU games and thinking he must have been pretty good in college that's like the only thing I know about him. I was half thinking he flushed out of the NFL immediately, but I guess he was pretty good as a rookie before he tore his knee up.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 26, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

:fap:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jason Garrett is still a terrible coach.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Jason Garrett is still a terrible coach.

actually, he's not

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

blue squares posted:

actually, he's not

Might actually be one of the hottest takes I've heard in Dallas sports

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

blue squares posted:

actually, he's not

He seems pretty...questionable when everything isn't going right. Last year his team was good enough that mostly everything went right, and he's good at just sticking the course in games like that.

I guess you could say everything wasn't going right tonight, but I feel like half of this result is the Cards being even more poorly coached. And probably having worse players available.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
That pair of back-to-back challenges were two of the worst challenges I've ever seen, and I saw Jim Schwartz challenge a play that would have been automatically reviewed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

He seems pretty...questionable when everything isn't going right. Last year his team was good enough that mostly everything went right, and he's good at just sticking the course in games like that.

I guess you could say everything wasn't going right tonight, but I feel like half of this result is the Cards being even more poorly coached. And probably having worse players available.

yeah, the cardinals didn't make any adjustments and the cowboys consistently got the field position advantage and exploited our 4th and 5th dbs. he lost the challenge on the fitz catch but every coach in the league throws it before they can snap the ball. if you go by how well prepared they looked, then he's a good coach

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Cowboys beat Cardinals by more than seven points, so that is a Quality Win. Looking forward to frontloading a shitload of money to Demarcus Lawrence to lock him down before it's time to pay Dak and Zeke.

I still don't know what the hell Garrett does as a coach other than punt it on the opposing team's 45 yard line, but Linehan and Marinelli are real good coordinators.

Tom Sellout fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 26, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the only trash i can talk is that dez looked washed up compared to fitz

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

hifi posted:

the only trash i can talk is that dez looked washed up compared to fitz

Fitz wasn't being covered by Patrick Peterson and did Dez look washed up on his TD?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tom Sellout posted:

Cowboys beat Cardinals by more than seven points, so that is a Quality Win. Looking forward to frontloading a shitload of money to Demarcus Lawrence to lock him down before it's time to pay Dak and Zeke.

I still don't know what the hell Garrett does as a coach other than punt it on the opposing team's 45 yard line, but Linehan and Marinelli are real good coordinators.
The Cowboys still need to pay Frederick, Martin, and Jones. According to OverTheCap, the Cowboys have over 20mil in dead money this year ( :eyepop: (10 of it is Romo)) and 10 in open space. Are they going to be able to pay their rising stars? Also what are the chances that they cut Witten and his 12mil cap hit when it seems he is mostly a blocker at this point in his career?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/joegoodberry/status/912345787731988480

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Cowboys still need to pay Frederick

already paid

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

incompetent posted:

already paid
Oh, I must not have done enough digging - his cap hit this year is showing as just over 4mil so I didnt realize.

edit: Oh poo poo and they have Collins locked up through 2019 too. Yeesh, that OL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The contrarian rear end in a top hat part of me really wants to start the backlash against the football world gushing over Tony Romo, but I can't. Guy really seems like he has his finger on the pulse of the modern NFL unlike anyone else in the booth.

• Locked thread