Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Turin uploaded a video of a fairly convincing High Elf multiplayer win in case people are still worried about them being weak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zM8BoD6-gA

Not that anecdotal videos proves anything but vOv. I did like the phoenix air force at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

RentACop posted:

Morathis bonuses are appropriate but so lame

Yeah, they make sense and the lowered cost for hero actions is pretty good but it just feels so boring compared to what other faction leaders get. She does get some cool unique buildings at least.

(also Chaos Corruption is my least favorite terrain variation, it's just so ugly and dull :negative: )

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sea Guard looks very interesting. Oh, you managed to get a cavalry charge on my exposed archers? Enjoy their antilarge melee :getin:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mordja posted:

Anyone know if they have Charge Defence too?

Might be old but yes:

Curious how bracing works with their ranged attacks. Will you have to turn off fire at will for them to brace for a cavalry charge?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Cauldron of Blood mount for Death Hags is the most amazing thing. It's just so dumb.

It has been doing a lot of work in the battles I've seen it in as well.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sounds like the final battle in the vortex campaign is really underwhelming difficulty wise which would be a bit of a disappointment (apparently you can just attack move in a blob if you have a good stack prepared which you will). At least the narrative stuff seems solid.

Wish CA would balance the final battles around the player actually bringing the best they got instead of assuming that you are bringing a balanced stack like if it was a multiplayer game. The DLC warhammer 1 campaigns had the same issue.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Really hope Tyrion doesn't have the same issue that many factions had in warhammer one where you spend 2/3 of the game punching one race. Same with Morathi and Malekith for that matter since they are also surrounded by factions of their own race.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Witch Aelves are my favorite unit.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Fans posted:

Their frenzy poison actually seems really drat useful

It seems really strong honestly, if they manage to touch a caster or other squishy unit then they are just gone. Or you can use it to lock down the enemy lord while you bring in anti-large or whatever to kill them (assuming it works on lords).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ThingOne posted:

An very Skaven-y glitch came up in Heir's most recent video.

Turns out clanrats can be an effective counter to enemy lords if they dogpile them.

Yeah, turns out the clanrat summon can bug out and put all of the rats in a way too small area so you end up having 90 rats hitting a lord/monster at the same time which is enough to melt any unit.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Dark Elf name list for that feature better be appropriately edgy.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Trip Report; Morathi is a ridiculous murder machine who for some reason also gets an amazing melee tree.

I'm guessing the ridiculous murder machine goes for all legendary lords this time around, they really improved the skill trees from the first game.

Captain Beans posted:

Uh in Warhammer 1 did units leave control groups if they routed?

I don't recall this happening before. I'd really prefer that not happen.

This was a thing in Warhammer 1 as well, there are arguments for it but I would really prefer that they stayed grouped as well.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There are some top tier flavor events in this one

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Starting to get really tired of the stacks that spawn in when you start a ritual. It would be fine if they only focused on the ritual settlements since you can plan around that but instead you get 6 skaven stacks spawning in a random part of your empire who happily starts razing every single settlement. It's like a really lovely version of the chaos invasion in the first game, at least in that one the stacks didn't come from nowhere.

The interventions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 30, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Perestroika posted:

The weird thing is that sometimes the game actually does it right. On the last ritual all the stacks spawned about 3-4 turns' worth of travel away from my borders, and there was a deliberate camera pan that showed me where they'd be coming from. It was tight, but gave me just enough time to redeploy my armies to meet they reached my borders. If it worked like that every time, it would be far less of a hassle. It almost seems like the former version is how it's intended to work all the time, but something just causes the spawning logic to spaz out and dump them anywhere there's space more than half the time.

Yeah, the first few ritual spawns were great. I was playing as Morathi and they all spawned to the west of the narrow mountain corridor you have next to her capital which felt pretty appropriate. It's just the last two where the game went 'lol gently caress you' and dumped 6 top tier stacks in the middle of my territory.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, Black Arks are ridiculously favored in auto-resolve too. One of them can pretty reliably fight off a full stack of midtier troops if they're upgraded, and adding some extra troops just means that any seaborne battles are auto-wins. Which is good, because if those things die you're out a lot of time/money. It would be really nice if they edited them a little bit so that they could sack and raze (for extra growth) port settlements but not occupy them, though, so you could really get your raid on.

The way it works is the the black ark unit itself is counted as a ridiculous super general. You really do have to make sure to garrison it though unless you want to throw away all that growth and money poured into it.

Just wish it didn't count as an additional army and as such increased your upkeep, it makes them so hard to justify using early on very hard. I guess it would be a bit overpowered otherwise but eh.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, apparently he's the result of make-a-wish.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I understand why they didn't do naval combat since it would be an enormous amount of work, it's not like in previous total war games where you only have to make 6 ships total and then you're done. But yeah, it does hurt the game a bit with so much water on the map.

I appreciate the changes they've made to the autoresolve in this game in general (In the first game it often felt like I was loving myself over by fighting manually but in this one so do I almost always feel like I would get a better result fighting manually) but it makes naval battles super annoying.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Decus posted:

I haven't noticed the black arc being good in auto-resolve even at maxed. Dunno if difficulty actually effects auto this time, but virtually any helve stack at sea will destroy a maxed black arc if it's only full of tier 1 troops. Helves are just dumb in auto, especially at sea. If there's any bright side it's that they also don't seem to set out much until the Age of Discovery hits so you at least get to use a black arc uncontested for a good while.

edit: Yeah, in auto they're basically treated as level 1 lords apparently even though they have 80% ward saves and all sorts of other buffs in their stats. Staffing them at all is basically wasted money versus just babysitting with an actual lord stack nearby.

I'm playing on very hard and the black ark 'general' can easily get 500 kills in autoresolve even if it loses so not really sure what's going on there.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The bad thing about having a SSD is that they expect you to read this in the ~10 seconds it takes for the campaign map to load after beating the final battle:

Dongattack posted:

After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

I'm not really seeing this. The structure of the game remains the same but you can play the game just as differently as you did warhammer 1 and go in different directions etc. More even since building tall and not blobbing out actually is a semi legit tactic in this one.

I ended up restarting my very hard Morathi campaign after getting pretty far in since I felt that I had hosed up a bit, in the first one I conquered the entirety of Naggaroth after a long hellwar with Malekith and blobbed my way over into Ulthuan while doing rituals as they came up. In the second which I actually completed the game with I just grabbed her first two provinces, went south to snag the mirror pools and then sailed over to Ulthuan to grab the Shrine of Khaine while waiting until I was done and could turtle up in the ritual sites before starting any rituals. Choices!

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hot date tonight! posted:

I'm definitely not good enough at the battles to knock out two full stacks with a maxed minor settlement's garrison against mid to late game units, but I guess there's only one way to learn

Even if you don't win (and winning with minor settlement garrisons is tricky later on when the chaos/skaven stacks start getting gold chevron top tier troops) so can you usually still hurt them enough that the next settlement battle will kill them off.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mazz posted:

Started a VH malekith, Mung declared war by turn 16 with 3 stacks that moved together. The upkeep on 8 shades was my entire income.

Maybe spend your gold on something else than 8 shades, you can't really justify getting so many of them so early on Very Hard. Particularly since you are playing as Malekith who gets 50% less upkeep on the Darkshards.

Shades do become ridiculous murder machines later with tech and leader skills on but replacing your ranged units entirely with them that early is just not a very good idea.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

boho posted:

Intervention armies could use a polish pass. Having a Skaven stack with no less than 4 Hellpit Abominations, (not counting the warp cannons, death globadiers, stormvermin, and death runners) is maybe just a wee bit too much for turn 25. My level 3 capital garrison put up an excellent fight which bloodied the stack enough to let my main stack finish it off, but it still got razed in the process, putting me out ~40k gold in lost buildings + rebuild costs. I'm just not sure how to respond to a tier 3 intervention so early in the game outside of camping your main army in the capitol for 10 turns, which is almost as devastating in opportunity cost.

It wouldn't be 10 turns, the AI always uses the intervention army on the first turn in my experience and assaults after 2-3 turns.

The intervention armies are a bit of a non-issue in my experience since they are so predictable and only ever assault one stack at a time. Just make sure to have half stack or so garrisoned in your capital before starting the ritual and if you can't justify that right then so can you just delay the ritual until later.

(it is a bit of a dick move to new players though since I don't think the game tells you about intervention armies until they actually spawn on you)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I have no idea what the logic behind the Chaos/Skaven stack spawning is, sometimes they'd spawn in a sensible place 2-3 turns away from any city and sometimes they'd spawn in the middle of my empire. The intervention armies always spawned right next to my capital though and always waited around for their turn to besiege it if another intervention army beat them to it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gonkish posted:

So Morathi's start is kind of dumb. You can't get any trade agreements because the game doesn't understand how fords work and thus doesn't think anyone has a direct trade route to your capital. So trading is just not a thing that occurs initially, if at all.

On top of that, her options for initial expansion are limited, unless you want to go sailing to Tiranoc on turn 10. Of course, if you do that then you'll be exposed to the inevitable, inexorable, endless Hexoatl Lizardmen hell parade that marches north solely and specifically to gently caress you up.

Meanwhile Quintex is 8 slots, not 10, so you have to be especially picky about what you build and where. (Except it's really 7 because you absolutely want and need the unique building so your territory isn't constantly making GBS threads rebellions.) Oh and the province has multiple trade goods buildings... which are useless to you because you can't loving trade with anyone at all.

It's just a miserable start. I know now why that guy in the pre-release dark elves coop had so many issues with Morathi: it's a confluence of terrible all rolled into one start.

My first campaign was Very Hard Morathi and I felt it was pretty simple. Grab the province to the east and then you can either hellwar dark elves until you unite naggarond (there are tons of good landmarks up there so it's pretty worthwhile. Also you get frenzy on Morathi for beating Malekith! :v: ) or head south and take the mirror pools and then just do whatever because that should be enough to win the race if you gently caress with lothern a bit as well by taking one of the two ritual currency sites on Ulthuan. Starting so close to two different ritual currency settlements is extremely strong. Her public order/corruption building is much better than the regular Dark Elf one imo and that combined with the Quintex unique building makes public order easier to manage than for many other factions in my experience.

And you can trade by grabbing the port in the province just to the south of you.

e; if you take the mirror pool province then you can pretty much just keep a single stack in a walled up settlement there and that will be enough to deter the lizardmen since it's such a small chokepoint.

I'd honestly recommend that people try out a Morathi campaign just because of how dumb she gets later on. Not only because she is a great spellcaster (she definitely is) but because for some reason CA also decided to give her a mini-melee tree that arguably is the best melee tree in the game with huge resistances and passive debuffs. She's pretty much unkillable once you hit a certain point while zipping around at ridiculous speeds and charging down dragons.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Rookersh posted:

Does Morathi show back up in the Dark Elf Ritual cutscenes? I kind of want to kill her/go rebuild the Shrine of Asuryan as Malekith, just for the fun twist of it. Would be weird if she keeps showing up though.

Morathi and Malekith both only show up at the beginning and the very end of the story. It was a bit weird to have Malekith show up to eat the vortex after Morathi had stabbed him to death on some desolate snowfield 100 turns earlier but I guess them having a complicated relationship is pretty canon vOv

e; also dark elf story spoilers RIP Felicion. I liked how you kept backtalking Morathi in the quests. :smith:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Panfilo posted:

They probably need to do a balance pass on empire research because even in the first game several skills and research were lousy (like bonus armor and charge on pistoliers). Only getting 10% more income on Port cities for example is way worse than the Wood Elves getting like 200% in comparison.

The reason the wood elves gets 200% is because their ports are always stuck as lovely level 1 ports worth almost nothing unlike the empire that can build them up.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

toasterwarrior posted:

I admit I was legitimately surprised when I found out that the High Elves have mediocre cavalry at best, considering their style seems to be "very good at everything while having small numbers". Hell, my Cold/Horned Ones tend to wreck a lot of Elven cavalry just because they have armour-piercing and the Elves don't.

The current multiplayer meta for the high elves is bringing 3-4 units of Dragon Princes and it performs extremely well.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, I was bouncing between WH 1 & 2 to compare and it looks like Swordmasters might beat any non-RoR infantry in either game in a 1 on 1 fight. IIRC Hammerers were the only ones I was unsure about.

People have been looking into the files and a lot of WH 1 units have received stat changes for what it's worth.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/201979/warhammer-2-changes-to-wh1-races

Drunk in Space posted:

Have CA talked much about how they're going to make turn times work in the Mortal Empires campaign? Or are they just going to have a twitter post saying, "Get an SSD"?

A SSD won't help with turn times, that's all CPU. And yeah, I'm expecting them to be rough.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SteelMentor posted:

Buncha racist fuckos who can't stop squabbling and loving their cousins long enough to deal with any problem bigger than a banquet.

You can say that about 90% of the races in warhammer.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm not because it seems like something that is impossible to mod.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Feels like the increased upkeep on Very Hard/Legendary makes a dedicated explorer unviable. Maybe early on when one additional lord doesn't raise upkeep that much.

e; hope they nerf naval treasures either way, it's really weird how much more valuable they are than exploring ruins.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, ruins are much more limited in general since the AI tends to be pretty active with settling stuff in this game while the game pukes out stuff at sea. No clue what they were thinking with that stuff.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Agent actions also gives you absurd relation boosts with factions that dislike the faction you are stealing from so you can end up with half the world loving you just because you keep stealing tech from lothern or whoever. Clan Pestilens (even with the -relations from finishing rituals) and several Norsca tribes kept wanting to ally me when I played as the Dark Elves because of that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LLSix posted:

Wow, Dark Elf darkshards kind of suck. They're not half as good as the High Elf archers.

They are much better against armored enemies and comes with a shielded variant. It's a tradeoff and both are very good units.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
High elf ranged can still do a lot of work later on, you just have to pick your targets a bit instead of melting half the enemy army before they reach your lines.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

toasterwarrior posted:

Problem is that the AI doesn't seem to mind the penalties, with higher difficulty ones feeling like they're barely inconvenienced by them.

The AI are definitely affected by the penalties and you can pretty easily cause revolts in territories that are uninhabitable for the AI by raiding them even on VH. The problem is that the AI completely ignores the climate when conquering territory so they will just conquer everything close to them as shown on the Mortal Empire preview picture which just isn't very fun.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The 3d portrait in the bottom left is a bit of a performance hog.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Steel Faith is no longer working on SFO iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pendent posted:

I like the intervention armies purely for the fact that they give you some really interesting fights against unique army comps that you may not otherwise see.

Yeah, the intervention armies generally tends to have higher quality stacks than the AI ever manages to scrape together which is nice. Wish they would tighten up the composition on them a bit though so you don't end up fighting armies with just 1 infantry unit.