Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RentACop posted:

Thread background

"This is the ideal Slann body, you may not like it, but this is what the Old Ones intended."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The AI seems poor at playing Skaven in a battle.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This feels more balanced on higher difficulties than previous TWs, warhammer 1 included. People will actually engage in diplomacy on legendary rather than requiring 20000 gold to consider a non aggression pact that they break anyway a turn later.

Hopefully that system is what's in Mortal Empires.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder who's gonna be the High Elf dlc legendary lord. Allariele is the heavy hitter in terms of story, but I dunno what would make her that different from Teclis. Give her only healing/buffs? Also her hair is stupid.

Alith Anar would work as a bow hero, to split the difference between Teclis and Tyrion, but no shadow warriors. Problem for the rest of them is they don't really stand out, and Caradyn is mute, so that seems out of the question.

The other dlc lords are easier, skink for the Lizardmen and a grey seer/warlock engineer for the Skaven.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder what the Ogre mechanic will be since they used "food" for the Skaven.

Can't think of an overarching one, but I like the idea of Ogre maneaters being heroes whose traits are explained as a function of who they're trying to emulate. Throw in a rare Slann maneater and give them ruination of cities.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Glorious Nippon confirmed! Now alongside the rest of the :effort: countries like Ind, Cathay, and the ever original Araby!

Seriously though someone give CA a giant bag of money and have them add the racist caricature countries that never appeared in the first place, gently caress it. Wanna be a Cathyan sorcerer controlling an army of quilen and terracotta warriors.

EDIT: Also Khuresh which is apparently southeast Asia? Supposed to have Naga so it's at least Cambodia or Thailand.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Really hope they'll do Chaos Dwarves and Ogres. Could see them doing the Southlands bait and switch and populate the Darklands with Norse, orcs, Skaven, and the token Lizardman on the Dragon Isles.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ogres were actually the pinnacle of the Old Ones' plan. They wanted to create an adaptable, hardy, fast breeding race with the ability to use magic and resistance to chaos corruption.

They were making the last tweaks to the Ogres; making them less ravenous, smarter and more cohabitable, when the stellar gates blew up and we ended up with this mess. Halflings were actually the prototype.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While I'm all for adding more women to games, Neferata would mean another drat vampire legendary lord. It'd be nice if she played substantially differently, but still. So that leaves Allariele, Khalida, Helberon, and...Valkia I guess. I imagine she'd be a game three character though.

Are there no female ogres? The maneater with the rolling pin doesn't count.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm having trouble with my mazdamundi legendary campaign. Invariably I get bogged down around the 4th ritual; with my relatively modest province count starting to hamper my economy to the point where all I can reasonably do is fend off the endless doomstacks that come from whoever happened to declare war on me.

Is it reasonable to try and blitzkrieg Lustria in the early game, or learn to love less expensive troops?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Did they ever say in the fiction why elves don't use gunpowder? They seem to have gotten to high medieval tech and just stopped.

Makes them more distinct in-game of course, but ideas curious if there was a throwaway line somewhere in an army book or something calling guns barbaric.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If they called Araby something less blatant than "Araby," would it be less racist?

I just really wanna see One Thousand and One Nights the faction. Who wouldn't pay for flying carpet archers.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Back in the day when 40k was reaching it's zenith Warhammer was retconned to explicitly be in the 40k universe, at least for a hot minute.

The planet was at the center of The Maelstrom, a big chaos tear in space, the collapsed polar gates were Webway entrances and Sigmar was one of the missing Primarchs.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Looking at that Ogre Kingdoms map there's a body of water called the Lake of Eyes. Curious both as to what random thought the writer pulled from to make that association, and whatever the ingame explanation was, if any.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

genericnick posted:

Thoughts on Teclis' vortex start? Should I murder the dwarves? Unpleasant climate but so many trade goods. Recruiting a second lord on day one and going on a sea travel also seems like a good idea.

Generally I find that making friends is a better option with Teclis on legendary, if you can. It's a roll of the dice but supporting the Spine of Sotek dwarfs against the Skaven (if they decide to fight them) is a good buffer against Pestilens or Skyre going hog wild on the Lizards. Your economy blows, so imo you're better off going for places that don't require that much investment while making money off sacking/skaven doomstacks/1 man high seas adventures.

Apropos of nothing, Mazdamundi is the opposite. Bulldoze everything in your path, potentially friendly lizardmen included. Nobody likes you and your relatively centralized position means everyone is gunning for you eventually.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I like how the Mortal Empires campaign map has the Darklands just sitting there as weird empty space. NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Um.

I sort of expected this to an extent but. It does kind of throw the balance of the Old World off.

Surtha Elk is the Everchosen of my heart.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

It's weird.

The Southlands cuts don't bother me, the Southlands sucked, and nothing down there mattered anyways. We kept Zorn at least.

The Ulthuan shrinking made sense. Having it stuck between continents helps with sailing nonsense.

Lustria? Whatever, it was lovely islands anyways.

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY WESTERN NORTH AMERICA. WHERE DID IT GO. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Everything past the Evil Rockies was literally a wasteland, I'm curious why you mourn it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Diogines posted:

It was bad.

It was also the third time they sold the same game and even then they had to sell it in pieces.

I thought Attila was sufficiently different from Rome 2, and a heckuva lot more fun. They kinda failed in making the Huns an existential threat, but managing the decline of the Roman Empire through invasion, faith, and to a much lesser extent climate change was a lot of fun.

As for TWII, does the "Diplomatic" trait for the high elves mean they're predisposed towards the Empire or something? Every faction on legendary is all set to sign a non-aggression pact and trade deal. gently caress if I can get half of the Empire or Bretonnian provinces to do that.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

aniviron posted:

I'm pretty new to Total War but this game looked really cool so I picked it up. It's fun so far, but I really really suck; any advice goons? I'm playing as Queek's Skaven and doing... sorta okay? About turn 20ish at this point, I still have my starting units, a fuckton of shield clanrats and some Plagueclaw catapults but the elves are a serious problem.

Also, food is a huge issue, I'm losing about two a turn and afraid of colonizing more poo poo without a way to get a consistent food source. I've been fighting enough battles that I'm more or less stable but any turn I don't fight I start losing food again right away. Is there a good solution I'm missing?

All the factions are fairly unique, but imo Skaven are difficult if you aren't familiar with the basic mechanics of the game. Skaven require rapid expansion, you can't turtle with them. That, their economy, and balancing the food/corruption balance makes them very unfriendly for beginners. I would honestly endorse trying any of the other 3 TWII factions to get your feet wet.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So is the chaos invasion intentionally or unintentionally borked?

I'm hearing conflicting things; either that they hosed up and just used a modified script from The Vortex campaign to generate chaos waves that attack only you a la rituals, which was a mistake, or they declare war on the most expansive factions but just make a beeline for you.

Either way I figured they'd just invade from the north and bjornlings or whoever from the south, intent on end timesing it up rather than punishing you for getting gud.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Were Luminarks of Hysh always mega murder machines or is that new to TWII? I knew they were ok for large unit sniping, but drat. I usually never used them, because they wouldn't fire if there was a branch on the ground obstructing their view.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What was the timeline for WHIII again? I thought I read it was at least a year or two away, what with the historical one up next.

I hope it's China, so they cynically port all the models to the definitely not happening unless I give Sega a giant bag of money Cathay expansion.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I forget, are the soldiers of the Tomb Kings automatons like the Vampire Counts? I seem to recall that they're all independently motivated, just bound in totality to their particular king, a la Egyptian funerary rites.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Having beaten a legendary Teclis and Mazdamundi Vortex campaign, I forgot how hosed the Empire start is on legendary.

Chaos invasion notwithstanding, there's always fun like the Vampire Counts taking up half the map, or you getting bogged down in a quagmire trying to bail out Kislev while fighting the Varg, Clan Moulder and the Skaelings. Alternatively the Dwarfs somehow gently caress up and are nearly dead, while Karak Hirn has taken over basically everything between Karaz a Karak and Skavenblight and decides to roll into Altdorf with 8 armies.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So you think we'll ever see Nagash in the game? I was banking on him being a chaos invasion but from the south sort of existential threat, but I don't see that being the most original or fun thing anymore.

Tomb Kings would be the obvious place to slot him in; but looking at the Mortal Empires map Khemri and Lahmia have 10 slots. So going by that, it's Settra, and then I guess maybe Arkhan starts in Lahmia? Alternatively Neferata for maximum possible vampires, gently caress it.

I could see a mini vortex campaign sort of thing added to ME, where if you play as Arkhan you go around the world getting the stuff to piece Nagash back together, whereas Settra gathers poo poo stolen from him because nobody steals his poo poo. Perhaps the latter needs a bit of work.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boy howdy there's something oddly satisfying in taking out 12 armies by yourself in the course of 1 turn. Lightning strike, high end heroes, healing, lots of artillery. gently caress you and your chariots Surtha.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Doing this to the dwarfs own. Its maybe the best thing the rats have over the stunties, since dwarfs REALLY suffer from being ambushed. You can just smash their ranged/arty and then run away and have your own stuff blow them up as they try to tundle at you.

Did they add that ambush as normal attack mechanic to beastmen this xpac or was that always there? The 6 dudes and Volkmar who beat back that shitshow would like to know.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

It was always there.

Goes to show how often I fought beastmen in a campaign!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

genericnick posted:

Hmm, build Tyrion as a blender or get the uniter tree? Are those stat boosts really worth all the money you could save instead?

As usual, depends on what difficulty you're playing on. Public order and money are the real existential threats on legendary.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Mortal Empires somehow made the Empire start even more precarious on legendary, and not because of new threats, at least not usually. Instead it's the Varg and Vampire Counts; making GBS threads out 15 armies from newly conquered Kislev and the World's Edge Mountains.

I'm thinking I should blitz Sylvania early, and then when the Varg invariably declare war on Kislev, scoop it out from under them. Maybe then I'll live long enough to actually see the chaos invasion.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Right but like, I thought they were WW2 Rats with like Guns, and Gatling guns and poo poo? I' love all the mad scientist poo poo, but literally the entirety of my knowledge about them is "They have guns" and they do not, in fact, have guns in this.

I imagine the lack of warplock jezzails and ratling guns was either for balance or for dlc. Instead of guns, TW Skaven throw a lot of stuff. Granted, they did on the tabletop as well, but in this they have an even larger array of stuff to throw.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

The Rattori.

Spray musk of stealth!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Turn 80. Varg, the north is Varg as far as the eye can see. Meanwhile my allies do gently caress all about it. gently caress you Leoncour.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So considering cities with 10 building slots and no legendary lord, to my recollection that's Itza, Khemri, and Lahmia. Will Itza have an LL, or is it just meant as a goodie for people who get that far into Lustria? I'd like Lord Kroak to be in the game, but my desire to play as sentient mummy will be satisfied by the Tomb Kings. A Skink LL would be nice.

Khemri will obviously be Settra. Lahmia? Arkhan the Black on a field trip? Somehow shoehorning Neferata there rather than in the Silver Pinnacle? Maybe pull a Von Carstein start and have Khalida begin in the smaller Lybaras?

Just out of curiosity, any Warhammer lore nerd know where they pulled the Silver Host faction from?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I killed Morathi and Malekith way too many times in my Mazdamundi playthrough.

Legendary Vortex campaign as Mazdamundi was such a clusterfuck. Doomstacks from the north, south, and the west if/when the Undead get a whiff of you. Only thing that worked was blitzing Lustria asap, gently caress working with other factions, Great Plan coming through!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know it's years out, but have there been any recent rumblings as to what TWIII will look like? I recall that they want to expand the Chaos roster to include the full round of demons, but I'd be really disappointed if they didn't include the Darklands and by extension, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres.

As to the plot conceit, the Vortex campaign seems fairly well received. More faithfully reenacting The End Times might work this go round; it'd let them introduce all sorts of over the top poo poo, and it wouldn't be that different mechanically from what they've done in games like Attila and Barbarian Invasion. Swap the Western Roman Empire for...literally every faction but Chaos and the Skaven.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Catbirds are too expensive and take too long to recruit right now. They fly over halberds into everything that isn't a halberd and wreck it. I think this game is over. I don't know what Lothern declared war on me from the fog of war and then marched through their enemies Bastonne and Wood Elves to just attack me over and over again.

loving bad game, should have stopped playing earlier.

In mortal empires, as Empire, I find it useful to go around with a single lord and discover all the elven factions. They're generally down to trade and sign nonagression parts. As your imperium level rises you get that pesky diplomacy penalty, so Lothern, who really likes to conquer all of Ulthuan, will probably be kinda standoffish with you at best by the time they discover you independently.

In fact my treasurer usually spends most of the game sailing the seas, finding treasures and discovering new factions. On harder difficulties this can be dangerous, cause the assholes in Araby like to declare war on you if they feel safe, and then suddenly in the middle of the Chaos Invasion some rear end in a top hat Bretonnian stack shows up in Weissanland.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder what's going on with Lahmia then since it's a 10 slot city. I wonder if it'll still start controlled by vampires.

If I had to speculate, in order of increasing campaign difficulty: Settra, Khalida, Khatep, Arkhan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I imagine they'll recycle a bit of the dino animation for the TK monstrous units. Not complaining, just makes sense considering how fast they're getting this out.

Would really love to see Prince Apophas as a hero unit down the road. Mechanically he could work kinda like the green knight, but he only lasts so long as it takes to kill x number of lords/heroes so he can gather their souls. But if I can be honest a sentient swarm of scarab beetles with a knife is what I'm excited for.